Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

big up jah reel

Posted by bedward 
bedward
big up jah reel
November 22, 2004 11:44PM
thanks for the session Saturday night...killer tunes
and a big thanks for the hospitality. apologies for having to leave early....

soon a session round mine

or perhaps tighten up later this month?
Chris
Re: big up jah reel
November 23, 2004 02:31AM
Sounds like London is the place to be...

Firehouse were in good form the other night, though a bit of a small crowd.
November 23, 2004 07:13AM
Hi, Bedward. Penny invited me along to the session but I was unable to make it down from Leeds. Would have been a real pleasure to meet you and thank you in person for the African disks which have provided hours (no, make that days) of enjoyment. As you said, the version of "Shauri Yako" by Nguashi N'Timbo with L'Orchestre Festival du Zaire is even better than the Super Mazembe recording. If you were to dig up a 12" slab of African earth and fling it on a turntable, this is how I think it would sound. There is that growling bass which seems to come out of the very earth itself, out of the deep ruts gouged out in the soil by lorries in the rainy season and then by contrast the light-fingered melodic instruments which seem to suggest much more the ephrmeral, contingent nature of life but the purpose pf enjoying it while it's there. Lovely, lovely sound. And your session with Jah Reel sounded fun. I've commented on it twice here now but had the post removed in both cases. The sequence with Sweet and Dandy in "The Harder they Come" is one of my very favourite cinema experiences. Whilst some people claim to know where they were and what they were doing when the late President Kennedy was totalled, I can tell you exactly where I was sitting, in which cinema and with whom when I first heard Sweet and Dandy. The song endures, the friend and cinema alas now dust.
Conscious Pilot
November 23, 2004 10:28AM
Drinking a can or two Heineken by the sounds of it that night Bedders?
You fancy a trip to Tighten Up this Friday.....you're welcome to crash at my place if you need a London place to stay.
Big up Grumpy,
Pilot
November 23, 2004 05:31PM
What part in Harder they come features Sweet and dandy? is it the vocal group acapellaing to the record producer? if not anyone know who this group is- great stuff!?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login