Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Harmony Groups

Posted by bun n cheese 
bun n cheese
Harmony Groups
March 19, 2004 11:31AM
Just ckeced the lineup again and noticed there is not a single harmony group. That is where the roots are for me. Abysinnians, Mighty Diamonds, Carlton and the Shoes, Maytones, Melodians, Meditations, Gaylads etc. Lordy would I love to see the Gaylads.
Re: Harmony Groups
March 19, 2004 12:06PM
who backing bunny's vocals this year?
jb welda
March 19, 2004 12:30PM
the gaylads are no longer known as that (for fairly obvious reasons). last i heard they were the "psalms" and in addition to their own recordings they backed up bunny wailers in his stage shows.

one love
jah bill
Pale Ryder
March 19, 2004 12:31PM
What about the Itals?? Didn't Keith Porter used to be in the Gaylads??
bun n cheese
March 19, 2004 12:39PM
thats too bad they changed their name. what a shame.

did they originally write "Joy in the Morning?"
TR-808
March 19, 2004 12:59PM

keith porter was never in the Gaylads

the Psalms have always been a favorite for me, as far as live performances.. half the reason i've seen Bunny as many times as i have..

i don't know if "Joy in the Morning" was a Gaylads original or not. if it was, chances are that it was written by BB Seaton, who is the man behind not just the Gaylads but x-amount of top-ranking, everlasting Studio 1 tunes.
bun n cheese
March 19, 2004 01:22PM
Joy In the Morning (Seaton)
---------------------------
You bring me joy in the morning

The evening sun went down
All over town
I'm sitting all alone
Feeling so blue, just because

Every now and then
I wonder why
Why should I be so bad
Why not play it cool, (by the rules)

Every now and then
I wonder why
Why should I be so bad
Why not play it cool, (by the rules)

March 19, 2004 02:27PM
What about I-vibes? They may not have Apple anymore - but I'd still consider them a harmony group...
bun n cheese
March 19, 2004 02:31PM
sure, and the heptones, gladiators, wailing souls, wailers(original) etc.
flip
March 19, 2004 03:56PM
i'd love to see the wailing souls perform some roots/early material. they have a "new" release on pressure sounds that is really good.

saw them perfom in Tahoe and they were in my opinion not very good. it was a strange night. the dude that owned this restaurant had the show on 4/20. he wasn't down with ganja though......hounding people all night- AT A "4/20 party"
anyway.......

Wailing Souls played a set then took a break and played the same set over again. one of the members of the band actually said during the second set " ever feel like you've been cheated" Bobby Ellis was one of the players - I remember that.
they played an overly "pop" set which some may like, but me want roots. maybe it was the vibes in the place that did them in......

i don't know what my point is ....i would like to see the Wailing Souls but in a studio 1 fashion.
bun n cheese
March 19, 2004 04:00PM
too much bread and pipe i suppose.
jb welda
March 19, 2004 05:12PM
take a listen to wailing souls recent studio one album "square deal". a return to form.

sounds to me from your description that they thought they were playing two distinct shows, hence the same set for both. saw king sunny ade do the same thing at the stone in san francisco once. talked to him afterward and he was surprised because he was SURE the two sets were separate admission shows.

one love
jah bill
B nyze
March 19, 2004 08:26PM
anyone remember The Royals? man, what a beautiful sound...."only jah knows", and "if i were you". top two songs from dem.
March 20, 2004 08:06AM
Hey Flip - know what you mean about the "pop" set - I've seen a few bands do this, most notably Steel Pulse. I've seen them perform in Watsonville a couple of times and they sounded VERY "popish" - one time catching them at ROTR less than a month later playing a very rootsy set. It was almost like they were trying to appeal to the hip hop crowd in Watsonville, and switching gears at the fest. But then again - I've seen the Wailers perform seemly stoned out of their minds (very slow, relaxed set - still very good) and the following week they were one of the most vibrant shows I can remember - with Junior Marvin and the backup singers dancing all over the place... guess it jus depends on what mood you catch them in...ok - nuff rambling!
March 20, 2004 12:22PM
-many+ elements in show when their are many band members changeing for differnt tours & many commercial effects always move many bands @ many venues when there famous for many songs but others that are good aswell may not be as well known or popular. promoters rize up! -many RASpects+
bun n cheese
March 22, 2004 08:58AM
dubguy, a weekend of sleep will clear a man head. yes, israel vibration is a harmony group, so my statement that there are no harmony groups is inaccurate. thanks for keeping me in check.
flip
March 23, 2004 01:06PM
would you consider earth and stone to be a harmony group? i have no idea what their status is. i have never heard of them being on tour. i don't even know if albert and clifton are still alive. anyway.. it sounds like you would like them judging by the bands you listed up top. pressure sounds has a real good album of their work.
bun n cheese
March 23, 2004 01:08PM
yeah, nice deep dubby stuff. for come reason, i always get them and Enos McCloud mixed up. love the Genius of Enos.
TR-808
March 24, 2004 10:00AM

great Maytones set released by Heartbeat Records

[www.newsreview.com]
bun n cheese
March 24, 2004 10:15AM
shameless, solid.

ha, nice review!
TR-808
March 24, 2004 10:49AM

shameless?

it's a great release. soundclips here:

[www.rounder.com]
bun n cheese
March 24, 2004 10:53AM
yeah, I have it. great release.

shameless in that you posted a review that you wrote.

shameless was intended as just a likke joke.
TR-808
March 24, 2004 10:54AM

i wrote?

i'm TR-808, man.

say 'hi' to Kennedy School for me...
jb welda
March 24, 2004 10:56AM
sure you are solid, sure you are.

and im bob marleys ghost.

:-)

one love
jah bill
bun n cheese
March 24, 2004 11:16AM
bobs yer uncle
TR-808
March 24, 2004 11:22AM
March 25, 2004 10:38AM
Earth and Stone... I'd like to know what happened to them

Ernest Wilson?

Chosen Few?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login