Posted by Ras James 
Re: Reggae Rising reports?
August 06, 2009 05:20AM

Post Edited (08-06-09 07:16)
August 06, 2009 11:23AM
The Times-Standard
Posted: 08/06/2009 01:15:24 AM PDT

A 21-year-old woman who had been attending the Reggae Rising music festival last weekend was found dead early Monday morning, according to the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office.

Lt. Rusty Noe said Molly Donovan, of South Lake Tahoe, was found dead shortly after midnight Monday morning in her camp, which was located near the festival and just across the Mendocino County line. Noe said the festival's medical team was first called to the scene, but quickly determined that Donovan was deceased, and called the Sheriff's Office.

Noe said Donovan's cause of death hasn't been determined, and likely won't be known for some weeks, pending toxicology test results.

Calls made to Reggae Rising organizers were not immediately returned Wednesday.
August 06, 2009 01:33PM
blazeiyah,

I do not believe in absolutes, so personal responsibility, yes, but also it is good when folks look out for each other. I just see too many people wanting to put the blame everywhere else but themselves, or the responsibility on every one else but themselves.

Peace
August 06, 2009 03:21PM
Yeah the more I hear firsthand, the festival is such a heathen gathering that no one I've sprung the news on since their return is surprised in the least.

And for those who thought they were spreading the good message running tunes for the party..........some real soul searching should be in order.

And No statement from the Owners/Management of the Festival.......

Still in awe at the callousness of some attendees/boardies who will offer every sorry excuse and argument to absolve themselves

of feelings of guilt or responsibility...........you sound like a bunch of spoiled kids......

so if you're actually a grown man and you squirm like that when confronted with responsibility......

I sincerely hope there are no children unfortunate enough to be under your care.

AND........BIG UP Papajoshua and Blazeiyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" you reap what you sow, caint plant corn and reap tomato, same way with the whole of it. the seeds that been planted in that soil is tainted- so take it as you want, but in my sight this whole mess is just flat out wrong and i have not and will not be a part of supporting it, finacially, morally, or spiritually."

AMEN AMEN AMEN.

Post Edited (08-06-09 20:19)
August 06, 2009 03:32PM
again a "heathen gathering"? I suggest you attend the fest before making such harch judgement. I can speak with certainty that the poulation of "heathens" is the same as it is as SNWMF or any other musical gaterhing. If what you do is focus on the sh+t. then that is all you will see. I met nuff good people at ROTR/RR over the years and had some of the best times of my life there. I have a daughter under my care as you put it and I would give my life for her. For you to speak about masses of people of which you do not know makes you a judge. Only heathens offer judgement as harsh as yours based on hearsay. Check yourself and I really hope nothing bad ever happens at any gathering you are at because according to your reasoning you are responsible. Just so you know, you never hear anything "firsthand" it is by definition second hand or hearsay. There is a reason that that shi+ is thrown out of court. Go to the fest then make your call until then you sound like a judgemental clown. Matthew 7:1
August 06, 2009 03:48PM
Handle: I believe that responsibility is both personal and collective. So, i take responsibility for my own personal actions, and much of that concept bears itself out in this thread. You apparently take issue with that notion.

But I also am a firm believer in collective spirit, and with that comes collective responsibility. So yes, I also feel responsibility for that young woman (that I never met, saw nor knew of the incident) who apparently met an unfortunate end. But, as a member of the human race, I also feel a responsibility for ALL the evils and injustices THROUGHOUT the world (as well as all the good and rightousness that exists).

So, I never got within 1,000 yards of 'The Dome', yet feel some responsibility for the incident. What about you? Do you also have "feelings of guilt or responsibility" even though you didn't attend? Should the person selling pizza breads at the festival also have "feelings of guilt or responsibility"? What about the folks at "Jah Med" who worked the festival, should they "feelings of guilt or responsibility"? What about the DJ who announced the event on their radio show....?
August 06, 2009 03:58PM
Wow blaze and handle...you're talking crazy talk! I see that it is coming from a place of compassion, but it is not realistic. Not to turn the tradgedy of a young girls death into something political but you all make it sound like you wish there were babylonian police at every corner checking ID's and administering drug tests to anyone seeming under the influence, it sounds as if you would support a ban on gatherings of people and music playing past 9pm. Just what would you suggest our community DO with all the people breaking those moral and legal codes?? Stuff them like sardines in a jail cell billed on your tax dollars?? (if you contribute in taxes at all, that is) Clog up a legal system delaying trials for murderers, rapists and white collar crooks? Sure the world might be a better place with out night clubs and toxic substances but personal freedom comes at a cost. It's just like driving vehicles. Thousands and thousands of people die in car accidents every year, so do you feel everyone on the 101 to be a part of a "ritual sacrifice"...

Call me what you want, but I've learned that death is a part of life. Condemning your fellow humans in an effort to stop something inevitable is nothing more than spreading negativity. Perhaps you could direct that energy into something constructive and positive such as educating your peers on the dangers of drugs and alcohol or teaching the youth how to care and help one another. but, please, don't count on the world turning around to suit you, especially if all you're doing to make it happen is pointing fingers.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the young girl who I'm sure are hurting as it is and don't need anyone pushing blame on them.
August 06, 2009 03:58PM
Respect your words Ninj, but to say that the heathen ratio is the same at every musical gaterhing is simply false. Not to say that it is now, but in the past this fest has been synonymous with "over doing it". All night younster ravers tweakin hard."frat boy" types there simply to get jacked up, fight, and f!@#. I have never been to RR or ROTR, but I know what I've heard and read, and it is "NOT" exactly the same crowd as SNWMF. I can't count the number of times someone here has stated that they are done with that fest because of what it became. That being said, there is no way to lay much blame on the fest, or the DJ's in the dome!!?!? R U kidding me? SHe was 21 and takes the brunt, but if I were her friends with her(or not) that night, I couldnt live with myself. Or a neighbor?!?! My wife and I went 2 OZZFEST a couple of years back(long story as to why), and it was obviously f-in nuts!!! My wife was bloodied before we even got inside. People were bludgeoned, beligerant, Bile Progecting, and everything else imaginable. It was all we could do to just stay away from chaos without "further" incident. Anyways, through all this, we walk along and notice this huge guy over 250, face down in the grass. Normally I pry wouldnt have thought so much in those conditions, but this guy was actually implanted in the grass! Faceprint was kinda funny. His arms were in a way as if he had fallin like a board. his beer cup was near his hand so duh! He was not moving AT ALL, and not visibly breathing. We just walked and looked at first as everyone laughed and pointed, but I felt weird. I went back and checked to see if dude was breathing, and thankfully he was. I looked around and it seemed a couple of guys were standing near enough that maybe they were with him, but not sure. No one would have done **** for that guy. People have to watch out for each other bottom line! If not your a sitting duck in this world.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
August 06, 2009 05:15PM
handle, using your rational: do you feel bad being responsible for all those people that have been killed in iraq and afghanistan as part of the ritual sacrifice for america? it's your fault since you didn't stop it from happening.... right?!
No Subject
August 06, 2009 05:23PM

Post Edited (08-06-09 14:39)
August 06, 2009 05:46PM
you reap what you sow, caint plant corn and reap tomato, same way with the whole of it. the seeds that been planted in that soil is tainted- so take it as you want, but in my sight this whole mess is just flat out wrong and i have not and will not be a part of supporting it, finacially, morally, or spiritually.

@ ldog: you far off it man.
August 06, 2009 07:57PM
blazeiyah

That is the biggest load of BS i have ever heard. ROTR had several tragic deaths over the years. Would you put those tragedies on those who ran the show then? Your statement is as low and heartless as it gets. To imply that the local political disagreements that surrounded this festival somehow led to this tragedy is sick. Like most of the festival attendees, that girl probably had no idea any of that drama even existed...
August 06, 2009 08:15PM
wtf are you talking about man?

the only time i have ever been to the place was back in '06, the last year of rotr, and i swore i would never be caught back on dimmick island.

i dont know sh*t about the local politics of it, and i dont care because it obviously doesnt change a thing.

to me its the same as its always been and actions(or lack thereof) speak far more louder than words.
August 06, 2009 09:15PM
In the ten year s I've been cooming to the river I have never seen the river look so bad down strem was coverd in algae an some white an black stuff that look like mold vomet an diaria by the bridge was alright but hundreds of some kind of floating pincher bugs. What. Are our positive vibes really brining

August 06, 2009 09:36PM
We need more promoters to keep'em at there colleges.
August 06, 2009 09:45PM
Musical Highlights: Queen Ifrica, Capleton, Big Ship Family, Toots, Gentleman, and Aswad. Pleasantly surprised by Demarco. Like Higrade, I kept my expectations low and was he came in way above the line I had drawn for him.

Non-musical Highlights: We had a great camping crew again this year. We had about 10 Reggae Virgins in our crew which was a ton of fun. The weather could not have been better. Not being forced to spend the bulk of the day in the River was a treat, though I still came home with a great tan. Great to see the boardies.

Production Lowlights: 1) The disclaimer in the Program Guide (which one has to purchase to even see), followed by never getting the times right on the artists was insanely weak. I expect WAY more from... how do they bill it.... "the best reggae festival in the US???!!!" WEAK SAUCE!!! Get it right. 2) At night, get rid of the stupid ladder in the middle of the stage. What a way to kill an otherwise beautiful stage. 3) Enough with the audience lights already!!! I'm not even on drugs and that bugs the crap out of me. I paid to see the artists, not for them to see me through the entire set. Everything in moderation please (and that goes for everything). I doubt any of the production people read this board but maybe somehow it will make it back to them....

I had a great time this year but this was the first year ever that I wasn't sad to leave. By the end, my feet hurt, my voice was gone and the booze was dwindling. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Ever Forward
Empress
August 06, 2009 10:39PM

"That is the biggest load of BS i have ever heard. ROTR had several tragic deaths over the years. Would you put those tragedies on those who ran the show then? Your statement is as low and heartless as it gets. To imply that the local political disagreements that surrounded this festival somehow led to this tragedy is sick. Like most of the festival attendees, that girl probably had no idea any of that drama even existed..."

I dont recall their being any other tragic deaths, please explain.

You shall know the truth and the truth will make you free
August 06, 2009 10:49PM
if you notice empress, they took the tagline from SNWMF "3 days of reggae and world music" and then pasted the word "headliners" to the end..... um, no this is not a world music festival and there was surely not 3 days of headliners.... a couple each night..... but not many of those acts would be able to hold down an entire concert based on their billing alone.....

also, not only was their program guide cost 5 additional dollars, it was riddled with errors, and it was overall just unattractive to look through...... (especially compared to this year's at SNWMF)
August 06, 2009 10:53PM
>(especially compared to this year's at SNWMF)
PHAHAHAHA!!! Toot, Toot!! smiling smiley You think that was bad, did you look at the map? Grid lines for no reason, roads to nowhere, no legend, no scale bar... should I continue?

The part that got me about their disclaimer was "tour schedules" part. Give me a flippin break. Artists that perform at Reggae schedule their tour around that show, not the other way around. Please.

Post Edited (08-06-09 17:27)

Ever Forward
Empress
August 06, 2009 11:32PM
Just received a great email that cleared up some of my confusion (thank you!). "Production" is a broad group of people at any event of this magnitude but since this fest is under a new promoter, I wasn't sure who to direct my frustration towards. I still have a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing and really think it should've been handled more professionally. Changes happen, I can roll with the punches. But I need to see them coming. I saw at least two different set times and now know that there were at least three incarnations of the "final" set times. Sorry, but I expect more from this fest. Anyways, I'll stop harping on this. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who noticed and complained and I'm sure the professional staff of RR will not let this happen again.

Ever Forward
Empress
August 06, 2009 11:57PM

Post Edited (08-06-09 20:45)
August 07, 2009 12:58AM
Handle, forgive me if I am mistaken but are you implying that the dome or dj's spinning in it are somehow responsible for that girl's death? What is wrong about a dance party at a music festival, that's what we're they're for right? To hear music? How can you blindly point your finger at one place, was it her proximity to the dome that makes you look there for blame? What about the buses, or club umoja, or even the main stage? Are you bashing them equally, and if not why? Maybe if the dome didn't exist nobody would take drugs at RR. Maybe if their was no late night dance scene their would be no bad drugs on the premises and everybody would be super responsible, intelligent, conservative, and mellow with their drug intake? Maybe if we stopped having Reggae Rising nobody would ever die again.
"And for those who thought they were spreading the good message running tunes for the party..........some real soul searching should be in order." Are you kidding? What a confused statement. You are blindly misplacing you're anger on someone that is no less sympathetic to that girl's poor family and no more responsible than you for her death. Can you please tell me how 'running tunes for a party' is wrong in anyway, somehow leads to overdosing and should result in the sinner deeply searching their soul? If you've ever been to a music festival/show/concert/party you are hypocrite.
August 07, 2009 02:28AM

Born March 15, 1988 and unexpectedly left us on August 3, 2009 after spending a weekend enjoying what she truly loved - good friends, music, and nature. Molly was the 'twinkle' in her father's eye, the love that filled her mother's heart and a cherished sister to her brother, Daniel. Fearless from the moment she could walk, Molly was athletic and spent much of her time outdoors. She had become an avid snowboarder and hiker, and so her job at Kirkwood in South Lake Tahoe was perfect for her. Molly also loved to play her guitar and was never without a book at her side. Molly's memory will live on through the lives she touched in her family, her Preschool and Dunbar pals, her passionate and competitive soccer teammates, and those she met along the way through her high school and college years. Although Molly has left us too soon, her contagious laugh, bright smile and warm heart remain with us. Her adventurous spirit will not be forgotten. She will be fondly remembered for her calm and lovable character, which no one could resist. Molly is survived by her mother, Carol, brother, Dan, countless uncles, aunts and cousins. She was predeceased by her father, Joe. A Memorial Service will be held to celebrate Molly's life on Saturday, August 8th from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. at a private residence. Park at Flowery Elementary School's parking lot where a shuttle will be provided. (To get to Flowery School, turn onto Depot Rd., at the Mountain Avenue stop light on Hwy 12 in Agua Caliente.) Arrangements in the care of ADOBE CREEK FUNERAL HOME, 331 Lakeville St., Petaluma, CA 94952. Donations may be made in Molly Donovan's name to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospice or Willmar Center for Bereaved Children CHEDA-LYONS.COM 707-789-9000

Jah Guide & Protect
Bob Slayton
[www.onelovereggae.com]
[www.kmud.org]
August 07, 2009 03:15AM
Wow, makes me so sad. I can't believe this happened right next to where I was camping. I will keep her and her family in my thoughts, and can only hope we can all learn from this tragedy. It is a terrible thing, and can happen a lot easier than I think a lot of people realize. She was young, and partying, experimenting, did not know her limits, and well..sometimes even if you do know your limits doesn't mean that can't happen. She seems like a strong and smart young individual, and it's a damn shame this happened. I know though, that she will save the lives of many people. Hard to believe it happend..wow. Glad I was able to find out the truth from the board, rather than just believing the rumors that were flying around on Monday. As fas as I believe, that article is wrong about her being shortly found after midnight, the ambulance didn't even arrive until around 11am ish. I still can't believe this happened sad smiley sad news for the Reggae Festival world. Even though I'm sure it has happened before..doesn't make it any better or easier. Just another thing to make the Reggae scene look bad...but I guess also another thing to help us be more aware.

One Love.
August 07, 2009 03:34AM
NeoRas im sure there was nuff pollution and stuff brought in by the RR massive but a week or so before the fest someone posted that there had been a lot of algae growing because of the hot weather and low river levels
August 07, 2009 12:45PM
"Just another thing to make the Reggae scene look bad"

I have had to explain to people, for many years, that reggae is not all about drugs (particularly herb) but then reggae festivals seem to prove quite the opposite in their minds. Apologies for my negativity, but the whole drug and partying culture that has evolved out of reggae festivals sucks.

Peace
August 07, 2009 01:24PM
Yup j 72 we all have to agree that a large majority of the crowd is just their to party. sad. And maybe just maybe the music hooks a few each time and touches them enuff that they leave a changed person.

And yeah come july I won't even let me dog swim in that river.

August 07, 2009 02:13PM
Sonoma Sun:
According to the Mendocino County Sheriff’s department, Molly Donovan, 21, of South Lake Tahoe was found dead at the Reggae Rising Music Festival this past weekend. Donovan’s parents live in Glen Ellen.
Responding to a call of an unresponsive woman at 12:05 a.m. on Monday, August 3, Lieutenant Rusty Noe said his deputies found the young woman dead upon their arrival.
An investigation as to the cause of death is underway but, according to Noe, will take between three to four weeks for toxicology results.
The Reggae Rising concert is in its third year. The sold-out show features three days of reggae and music on the Dimmick Ranch in Piercy, Calif., Northern Mendocino County.

She was "NOT" underaged, and it "WAS" just after midnight.

August 07, 2009 05:52PM
why dont you write this out in the open? the thing is i dont have any "personal agenda" and that kind of bullsh*t is what is so disgusting about this whole thing.

even in the face of a youth(yes 21 year young youth) dying, all you f*king promoters care about is your damn $$$ and p.r. politricksters.

shove it.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Kim Sallaway wrote:
As an active participant in the staging of all 27 years of the festivals on the river I find myself irritated by the people who use reference, innuendo and outright bs to get their opinions to the people who read the blog.
There have been a number of deaths across the many years of the festival or as a result of driving to and from the concert. The baby who stepped in front of oncoming traffic on 101 when her mother looked the other way, or the staff member who died in their sleep in a tent in volunteer camp, or the musician who died of a heart attack, or the other most unfortunate tragic injuries, are not all that far a reach from the too high stabbing or the meningitis death at SNWMF last year. Every long term venue sooner or later has to deal with someone who did too much. It is a sad reality in this business.
Since you have not attended the show for a number of years, I think you share your biased opinions probably trying to make a personal agenda succeed. To those of us who work hard to make festivals happen, people like you are a real test of our patience. I really wish you would stop and see that you hurt all reggae festivals with your rant.
Thanks for your attention to this matter.
BTW the music was great, the audience was impressed, and the show was fun to attend.
Kim
August 07, 2009 05:58PM
there was not a menengitis death at SNWMF. "Supposedly" the man's death, (days after SNWMF), was linked to "possibly" sharing herb with someone.

August 07, 2009 06:23PM
heathens?? i'm sure your the perfect being with all the answers for us lost souls huh? get off your cloud please! shoveling that holier than thou crap aint helpin anything. Come to the river and form your own opinion.. yes this tragedy is heartbreaking and should serve as a stern warning and reminder of the consequences our decisions can have...but check your self riteous garbage at the door. 10th year with me an our crew that ranges from 10 -15 good souls each year. we go out of our way to make sure we take care of the neighbors and first timers we encounter and try to pass on the good vibes for the next generation...

I mean lets be real...you had the so called "peace and love" generations Woodstocks and Altamonts.....whole lotta good things but a few really bad things as well...lest we forget and damn the river as the center of all thats wrong with music festivals.

~Eastbay Streetsteady Riddims~
August 07, 2009 07:28PM
Correction. Someone who happened to have attended SNWMF last year died of Menengitis sometime after the festival. There was no link to SNWMF as no one else who attended SNWMF got it. The story that surfaced "linking" SNWMF to the death was completely bogus as evidenced by the fact that no one else got sick. Argh.

Post Edited (08-07-09 12:29)

Ever Forward
Empress
August 07, 2009 07:52PM
I went to high school with the girl who died, one of my friends told me about it yesterday when I called him up. Sat next to her in english freshmen year, she was a nice girl. Unfortunely I hear it was an alcohol related death. Fact is alchol never adds anything good to a situation.

Post Edited (08-07-09 12:57)

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
August 07, 2009 08:09PM
WoW!

YEs Empress----musically----Capleton was my favorite. His best show ever. Gentleman has a way of connecting with the crowd like no-one else. Laden was OK his lyrics were hard to understand. Chino was great. Demarco's set was better than expected. Just a DJ and no auto-tune he really can sing. DesARIE'S harmonies with Midnite was something I've never seen before.

Non-Musically----The schedule times. First, Sunday,......all the same artists completely flip-flopped and changed time. If that wasn't bad enough with all the confusion Rasta Steveh annouces the lineup wrong and says Aswad is next. I do a U-turn and go back stage to find out for myself. Poor Marcia Griffiths fans might have missed her. You know what artists are playing, figure out the lineup order way before hand and stick to it. I liked their changes but why last minute. Big up SNWMF for everyone on time as scheduled. Saturday, No Jah Mason, need a little shifts but they still flop it and have Toots close.

Handle! get a handle on reality. I don't know where u live but apparently nobody dies there. And i would hold you and the property owners responsible if anybody does within a 5 acre radius. It probably was the song selection. Check 10,000 id's in the dark? that would take a big budget and end up with a $300 ticket. Why stop with blaming the festival and attendees. it was reggae music's fault. I heard somebody got killed in New Orleans, so I will never go there or support that community.

When u plant 10000 seeds you are going to get a few bad seeds.. Stabbings at SNWMF
August 07, 2009 08:16PM
I'm not going to pretend I read all of the posts here, but the few I caught from handle are absurd. While it would be nice to think that in our society, everyone has everyone else's back - fact is you better be prepared to take responsibilty for you OWN actions, and not lay blame on the world around you. Pretty weak to blame those in attendance, when you didn't take it upon yourself to be there and monitor the campers for folks indulging too much. Blame yourself, you could have prevented it had you been there...

Now see how stupid that sounds jackass? Keep your whiny ass at home, and keep on pointing fingers - you're going to leave this world a lonely person with that attitude. Might I suggest you get a "handle" on your reality. Moron

HG, that savage toon (as usual) was right on target man

August 07, 2009 09:47PM
Hope that wasn't directed towards me. I am not blaming anyone, I don't think it is anyone's responsibility to take care of someone elses well being necessarily, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to look out for one another. Also..maybe the article meant like noon instead of midnight...because I was leaving around noon ish..and thats right when the ambulance was leaving.

Regardless, it's still sad...and yes I'm sure this isn't the first time it happend. Still sad though..and I don't think we need to blame others or even necessarily blame her at this point, it's too late to point fingers..whats done is done. Lets all just send her family our thoughts and love, and keep the reggae going...and do the best we can to keep the irie vibes, and not letting the negativity get the best of us...much love and blessings to you all.

One Love.
August 07, 2009 10:28PM
No no Empress - that was directed at "handle", who was bad mouthing the festival AND the attendees for not preventing that poor girl demise, rather than blaming the one individual actually responsible. It is a very sad thing without a doubt, but silly to blame 10,000 or so folks who were there to have a good time.

August 08, 2009 06:27PM
I thought Demarco was the sh*t on Friday!!! He had the crowd on their jumping during his whole set. He didn't even play some of his new tunes like "roof over my head" and "paper chasing", which I think would of brought the show to the next level. I was first disappointed he didn't have a band, but after seeing Chino and Laden set I was happy he played with a DJ. I think Chino and Laden got some BIG BIG tunez out right now but the tempo and sound was not right. Still big up the Big Ship Family and hopefully we can get a higher ratio of dancehall artist next year. By the reaction of the crowd and MC, the people were feeling the dancehall. Still Lutan Fyah, Capelton, Luciano, Freddie McGregor, Gentleman, Aswad, Chezidek came hard for this festival. Big up all the artist how poured their hearts out on stage and gave it their best. Dezarie on the other hand was simply annoying!!! Yo I can't forget about the youth who made a name during his premiere, like the MC said, "Not one, not two, not three, but a Million Stylez"! That literally made me lol. The MC dude with the long dreads (who was that btw) did a great job and should definetly return next year!!! Don't forget to see the youth on his west coast tour.

August 08, 2009 06:33PM
BTW, that set Stepwise did on Sunday evening was original and on point!!! Big up yourself Stepwise you came hard and flipped the script. Especially that Busy tune on the Brazilian riddim.

August 08, 2009 06:40PM
'MC dude with the long dreads' = Rasta Steveh use to post up inna Durango Colorado, hadda program on radio outta Teluride and is now (for 3+ yrs) livin inna Costa Rica

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 08, 2009 06:48PM
Bob, thanks so much for the posting of the young woman who passed away. The article brings to light the beauty and vibrancy of Molly. My heart grieves for her friends and family. May time help heal the pain while enhancing the positive memories of a wonderful young life.

"love shines brighter than the morning sun"
August 08, 2009 07:00PM
Yeah, I stopped calling it the Eel River and instead called it the Eel Creek.

Maybe they can call it Reggae on the Creek?
August 10, 2009 04:01PM
The river actually looked better than I have seen it in a few years. The water level was typically low, but there was far more velocity and flow than in recent years. It kept it from getting all stagnant.
August 11, 2009 12:54AM
REGGAE WAS AWESOME AS ALWAYS. MY HIGHLIGHT WAS DEZARIE!
MOVIE COMING SOON ON YOU TUBE.

Post Edited (08-10-09 17:55)

RiverCreek aka Robbinjaye
August 11, 2009 12:57AM
It is interesting that people either hated or loved Dezarie's set.
August 11, 2009 01:05AM
'MC dude with the long dreads'

Lets hope he meant Spliff Skankin, Rasta steveh is so annoying.
August 11, 2009 02:07AM
I was listening on the radio as I was driving down from the Arcata airport to Willits and the mc that was on said (something like this): "Some one says 'Jesus' and people go 'oh yeah whatever..' but when you say 'Jah Rastafari' etc they say 'Yes! etc etc" I thought it was a load of crap because Haile Selassie spoke many times about "Jesus" and this guy just did not seem educated in that area. Anyways...sorry...but it SUCKED. ;-)

Peace
August 11, 2009 06:46AM
The flowers in the DOME were for the Moese Angel Tribute.. you shuld have not taken them miss.. west. not irie'

Check out the IPOWER SOUND at [www.ipowersound.com] for a NEW 100% VINYL Mix for the weekend.. FREE DOWNLOAD... just spread the word and keep the VIBES... BLAZZING HOT and FRESH ..
August 11, 2009 07:08AM
"I was listening on the radio as I was driving down from the Arcata airport to Willits and the mc that was on said (something like this): "Some one says 'Jesus' and people go 'oh yeah whatever..' but when you say 'Jah Rastafari' etc they say 'Yes! etc etc" I thought it was a load of crap because Haile Selassie spoke many times about "Jesus" and this guy just did not seem educated in that area. "

I didn't hear him but from your summary it sounds like he's got a good point, at least if he's talking about people with a surface-level understanding. Or do you really think everyone who participates in the "Jah - Rastafari!" artist-audience calls would be just as excited about "Jesus - Christ!" ?
August 11, 2009 10:07AM
I didn't actually take the flowers, my friend did...she loves flowers..and the festival was over. As far as I believe I am pretty sure she did ask...either way...she preserved the flowers in a beautiful vase and took probably better care than they would have gotten had we just left them in the dome..since they were breaking down the dome anyway. Sorry if thats not irie....but whatever. I'm sure Moese would be stoked someone took them to be appreciated somewhere else. Since the flowers were dead anyway and on their last leg. Ill be sure and tell my friend though how unirie it was of her.

One Love.
August 11, 2009 12:52PM
I just thought it wasn't really a cool thing to say, even if he does believe it. I can't really see the logic. The fact that the crowd says it on a superficial level without realizing what it is makes it worse in my mind. They don't like "Jesus" because they know who he was, but what happens when they find out that "Rastafari" was a prince who became an Ethiopian king, and devout follower of Jesus? It all seems ironic and twisted in a weird way.

Edit: early morning, the brain is warming up.

Peace Man

Post Edited (08-11-09 06:20)
August 11, 2009 12:53PM
Edit: early in the morning and still getting my thoughts warmed-up.

Peace Man!

Post Edited (08-11-09 06:18)
August 11, 2009 02:19PM
August 11, 2009 03:11PM
I steal flowers from every tribute i see. As I will mos def take better care of them than the family, friends, contributors that paid for, created, and were responsble for them.

August 11, 2009 03:18PM
what do you do with them smoka?
August 11, 2009 03:29PM
re-gift them for mother's day, anniversary, birthdays. then i smoke em of course!!!!!

August 11, 2009 04:49PM

and it goes a lil something like this?

Post Edited (08-11-09 10:01)
August 11, 2009 05:29PM
Empressofthewest, I fully support your move on the flowers. You and your friend carried the love forward with positive intentions. Peace.
August 11, 2009 05:52PM
RECYCLE!!!!!!RECYCLE!!!RECYCLE!!!!!

Tread Lightly!!!

Post Edited (08-11-09 13:58)
August 11, 2009 05:53PM
J72, maybe I made a mistake in my reading of your summary.

If the MC's point was that Selassie was "better" than Jesus because everyone calls back his name at a reggae concert, then I agree it sounds like an ignorant statement that only reinforces widespread ignorance in the US about Rastafarianism.

If his intention was to call attention to Jesus as being an important religious figure within Jamaican and reggae even though Selassie seems to get all the attention at shows, which was how I originally read your summary, then I think he has a good point.
August 11, 2009 06:28PM
those flowers were headed for the trash, blah blah blah about them being stolen. I have seen how people break down festivals on Monday morning, believe me, no one cares about the flowers!!
August 11, 2009 07:27PM
I will send a dozen roses to any white lady that stops calling herself an empress...

I'm still trying to figure out what to send any white guy that will cut off his dreads or stops calling himself a ras. Prizes increase if you do both.

Post Edited (08-11-09 16:27)
August 11, 2009 08:04PM
My birthday is in November and I prefer white roses. Sorry, I don't rock locks.

Ever Forward
Empress
August 11, 2009 08:11PM
Most commercial rose cultivation is VERY chemical intensive and helps to further poison us. Maybe a local organic variety would be best? Especially for a birthday - nothing says "You suck!" quite like poison!
August 11, 2009 08:33PM
reggae fan you da shiznit!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 11, 2009 08:54PM
"Rastafarianism"

Post Edited (08-11-09 14:52)
August 11, 2009 10:41PM
"I'm still trying to figure out what to send any white guy that will cut off his dreads or stops calling himself a ras."

What about black guys, Indian, Middle Eastern, or Chinese guys that are neither Ethiopian nor royalty? And what if they have no dreads and call themselves Ras?

Peace

Post Edited (08-11-09 15:46)
August 11, 2009 11:26PM
Oh J-72 - you know me, just goofing around - i just like to mess around with the white "Rastas" because they seem to be the most....... hmmmm, let me think of the word without being as obnoxious/overtaking as...... will get back with you on that later.
August 11, 2009 11:31PM
I'm just messin too man....
August 11, 2009 11:35PM
What if i have purple Eyes??

August 11, 2009 11:48PM
Have we finally found Ras Smoka's long lost cousin???

Waterborn, that video, ...... oh my, I'm off to go boil some water...
August 12, 2009 03:55AM
yea i saw most of the artist play at reggae and it was off the hook. walked over from cooks everymorning and set my chair up for the day and walk back n forth for food. i had a blast enjoyed all the shows from afternoon on. great show this year. very satisfied with everything.
August 12, 2009 03:57AM
oh yea check out videos from reggae rising on youtube. think the user is from the festival and his screenname is reggaerising09, this is from the cameras they use to record the artist. great audio and video. they havent had this in the past and looks great. im stoked on these videos bc we will have them forever
August 12, 2009 02:46PM
I just watched a bunch of vids, and now i'm bitter!!!!

August 13, 2009 01:41AM
[www.legacy.com]

RIP

[memorialwebsites.legacy.com]

Post Edited (08-12-09 18:43)

tell the children the truth
August 13, 2009 11:09PM
Oh, by the way.... COOKS VALLEY IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

I have never been over there all these years and this year I actually got to work over there and it is awesome~
August 14, 2009 10:48AM
check some photos of Gentleman & Jahcoustix
@ [www.reggaeville.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login