Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae in Chico, CA

Posted by Cosmic Roots 
Reggae in Chico, CA
August 21, 2009 12:24AM
Virgin Island Artists Army, Danny I and Tuff Lion
August 28th Cafe Culture 931 W 5th St Doors open at 7pm Show starts at 8
Youths under 12 are free! Bring dem youths!
$20 tickets at Cafe Culture, Irayz , and Blaze N J's
Come and bring an Irie Vibe!

Re: Reggae in Chico, CA
August 21, 2009 05:43PM
This show will be crucial!
August 21, 2009 10:22PM

www.JahWarriorShelter.com
twitter.com/JahWarriors
August 22, 2009 12:36AM
a likkle spendy....but sounds good..i shall pass it onto da masses.

One Love.
August 22, 2009 01:49AM
$20 is not too spendy to see Army, I assure you!
August 22, 2009 03:25AM
True, but one must take into account 3 artists with a live band, venue and staff, flyers, cost of travel these dayz... n so on an so forth...it adds up faster then you would think! I know it from a few sides, and while as a promoter I try to alwayz keep my shows under $20 I am only able to do that with a lot of support from the commUnity and even then it does not alwayz cover its costs. I tend to think charge less and more people will come, but it's a very fine balance between that and a dollar or two more per person adding up to at least a few hundred more towards the expences of putting the event on. Also $20 is not alot to spend on an artist/s that I rate highly, but is most likely more then I'd spend on a show I did not know. Now from the artist side of things, out on the road where a few stops filling up the tank of a rental van @ bout $3 a gl.(right now, which can add up to like $75 in a single stop) + meals for the crew, rooms on off nights..... an before you know it any likkle bit a change you thought you made is almost gone. All this is one of the reasons we have been seeing more n more dj shows during these hard times, which is jus not the same besides the fact that everyone including the players of strings, keys n drum need to eata food too - zeen

Big up Cosmic Roots for bringing a high grade all age show, hope it all goes well!
August 22, 2009 04:18AM
I'm with Empress of the West on this one. For Chico, it is more than I would expect to pay. I hate to say it but with a $20 advance price in Chico for an artist few college kids have heard of, this show is destined to lose a ton of money. Lower the price and you might break even. It's a college town and with the price of tuition this year, that same $20 is equal to an entire weekend of keggers and burritos. Right or wrong, it's just the plain truth of the matter.

Ever Forward
Empress
August 22, 2009 04:21AM
That said, many people just got their college loan checks and other assorted govt subsidized funding so maybe people would be a bit more prone to spending now rather than in, oh, say, in November. But I would still bet this show loses a boatload.

Ever Forward
Empress
August 22, 2009 07:54AM
guess winstrong, irie dole and ted shred for five bucks is sounding pretty good bout now winking smiley
August 22, 2009 04:09PM
It will be worth every penny! Bless sis
August 22, 2009 04:14PM
Give thanks bredren! You are so right-it is very expensive to throw these shows. I King and I are over our head in expense with this show- Most people have no clue what it takes to throw a show- usually the promoter looses money- maybe breaks even. But Jah works must go on!!!
August 22, 2009 04:17PM
with an attitude like that just go buy your beer and burritos!
August 22, 2009 04:21PM
Your vision is blurred by the dollar bill. These are Jah works- you can not put a price on them. Our family may loose money on this show- but this is not our concern- our concern is to bring an irie vibe to this town- besides Richie Spice what Reggae has came thru this town? Collie Buddz? Let your mouth only speak blessings and not curses!!!!
August 22, 2009 05:21PM
$20 is the modern equivalent to $15 or even $10 from a most recent past...
AND - this is a very CRUCIAL package...

Post Edited (08-22-09 10:29)

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 22, 2009 05:29PM
if i lived in chico, i'd go to both shows...have a good time y'all
August 22, 2009 05:33PM
Yeah, sorry Cosmic, I guess I was being a pretty big downer there. I wish you all the best of success on the show and I appreciate you spending your hard earned dollars to bring Jah works to Chico. Respect on that level.

>"Your vision is blurred by the dollar bill. These are Jah works- you can not put a price on them."
If that is your perspective, I hope you're made of money cuz otherwise, you won't throw very many shows if "you can't put a price on them." As a consumer and a poor grad student, I can certainly put a price on entertainment, Jah works or otherwise.

The reason we haven't had any other reggae shows since Collie Buddz is because it has been summertime. No promoter (who actually wants to make money) would throw a show in this town in the summertime.

Sorry to rain on your parade. Reggae is nearly impossible to make money on so I was throwing a little constructive criticism your way. Sometimes blunt honestly can be a little bitter to swallow, which is why I followed up my statement with a maybe-you-can-make-money-off-the-govt-subsidies sugar pill. Good luck!

Post Edited (08-22-09 10:43)

Ever Forward
Empress
August 22, 2009 05:53PM
shows in indoor venues do VERY poorly inna summertime (even) up here in da north...
Ones n Ones woulda rather be out inna sun!
and true, reggae is a hard sell mosta da time...
(since InI not "made of money" I haven't done too many shows in some time...

Post Edited (08-22-09 10:55)

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
August 22, 2009 05:59PM
oh, and there are numerous other ways to forward "Jah works" in these times...

>> if i lived in chico, i'd go to both shows...have a good time y'all

agreed, so would I... and that way you can justify it by sayin,well,
average it out to $12.50 per show...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
August 22, 2009 10:26PM
experienced Lost on Main on the Thursday night before Sierra Nevada with one of our former Prezidents and Boomshot on the selection. Killer venue with nice vibes.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
August 23, 2009 02:40AM
give thanks for your humbleness and your ability to see your mistake! This is how we become better people.
August 23, 2009 02:42AM
that is very true. But have you been to Cafe Culture? it is a very nice venue. Plus we just had a youth 2 weeks ago- so we are striving for a super family friendly vibe- it is super hot to have new born babies out inna the sun for a long time.
August 24, 2009 07:29PM
Just checked the Synthesis and found out that Richie Spice is playing in the BMU auditorium for $10 on Thursday too. Show starts at 8pm and will be over in time to catch all the goods over at Lost. Richie Spice, Spanner Banner, Water Truck Sound, Winstrong, Irie Dole & Ted Shred all for $15. Now that's what I'm talking about! I love this town!

Cosmic Roots, I checked the Synthesis for an add about your show and have been looking around town and campus for a flyer and haven't seen anything. Good luck.

Ever Forward
Empress
August 24, 2009 07:49PM
Ras_Danny wrote:

> $20 is the modern equivalent to $15 or even $10 from a most recent past...
> AND - this is a very CRUCIAL package...

True. When I was in college 5-10 years ago, I never went to shows that were $20 or more. Now I don't blink more than once or twice even about $25 or $30. And you know, with all the grant money the gubment was giving me plus my part-time job, I actually had more money when I was in college than I do now. What the hell?!

...word is bondage...
August 26, 2009 05:54PM
ROLL CALL!! IM GNA BE THERE, HOW BOUT U?

twitter.com/JahWarriors
August 27, 2009 02:29AM
Luck has nothing to do with it. We have the All Mighty Creator's blessing.
We just put posters up the 24th. you can only have posters at the college for a week at a time or they tear them down.
I don't know who you are- but I really hope you don't come to our show- you have a terrible attitude!
August 27, 2009 04:05AM
big up army solid rock style
August 27, 2009 05:37AM
On second thought, never mind. Enjoy.

Post Edited (08-27-09 00:19)

Ever Forward
Empress
August 27, 2009 05:54AM
Dole, holla when you guys get to town.

Post Edited (08-27-09 00:20)

Ever Forward
Empress
August 28, 2009 04:46PM
Have a great show TONIGHT!!!
August 28, 2009 04:52PM
big up my big bredda army .. this not goin be a show to miss..... army and danny I goin kill it if you in the area check the show i know i would if i was out that side....

ONE AIM , ONE DESTINY, ONE LOVE , ONE GOD.

MOUNTAIN LION PROMOTIONS
August 28, 2009 05:56PM
Richie Spice, Danny I, Winstrong, and Irie Dole tore it up last night. Big up everyone who came out to enjoy the vibes. Can't wait for tonight's show at Culture Cafe! See you there boardies! Hail me up if you see me.

Post Edited (08-28-09 11:01)
August 28, 2009 06:48PM
Chasing people away from your show is never good policy for either your finances or your reputation as a promoter CR. It's better to just respond in a level manner to criticism or to learn from it and grow. Empress has nuff background in helping keep reggae shows. Without her energy and knowhow SNWMF might not run half as smooth as it does. Prov. 12:15
That being said, all the best to you & your show, and thanks & respect for bringing these artists to Chico.

Post Edited (08-28-09 13:48)
August 29, 2009 06:53PM

ahem...

using all my powers of resistance to keep from commenting on any of above.

but am curious if anyone can tell me for turnout for the three events in last two nights?

- richie spice / spanner banner @ csuc

- winstrong / djs @ lost

- v.i. set / cafe culture

more info like show reviews is fine but am really asking about how many people at each of the shows?

thanks to whoever can provide that info

--
August 30, 2009 12:05AM
Oh come on So Nice, you know you wanna weigh in here...

I didn't make it out to any of the shows. Just too much going on right now to spare a night out and ruin a productive next day. I had lunch with Winstrong the next day though and he reported that the Richie Spice show had really low attendance. He said that they had only sold around 10-15 tickets so they just opened the doors and made it a free show. (Sounds a little strange to me but he was there so...) He also reported that the Lost show was packed, full house. I didn't make the Army show and haven't talked with anyone who went so I can't really provide any insight at all there. Heading to Baba's birthday party here in a few though so I'll probably run into some of the massive who could shed some light.

Mr. Black. Any reports?

Edit: Herb, thanks.

Post Edited (08-29-09 17:53)

Ever Forward
Empress
August 30, 2009 04:09PM
geeez, I envy the Chico massive!
woulda be sweeet, were we to fulljoy that kinda competitive reggae fare....
if only!

reggae on full-choke in disya town!

Post Edited (08-30-09 09:14)

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
September 01, 2009 04:32AM
I went to all of these shows! Where were all the boardies!? O well, I had enough fun for all of you to live vicariously through me. I'd have to say that the Winstrong/Irie Dole show had the best turnout. The Army, Danny I, Luv Fyah show was the best show out of all of them though. Luv Fyah went on around 9:15 and the band and other artists played until just after midnight. Great family vibe at the Cafe Culture show, little ones running all over the place having more fun than anyone! If there were more people at the Army show it would have felt too crowded with the kids zooming all over the place chasing each other. For all of the people who "thought" they couldn't afford the Army show because $20 is too much money, it was well worth the $20! Not to mention that tickets were being sold on a sliding scale based on if you could afford it. Sorry I don't have #'s for ya, wasn't counting.
September 01, 2009 04:51AM
Thanks for the info Mr. Black.

Ever Forward
Empress
September 01, 2009 07:21PM
More reggae to come this weekend in Chico with The Mystic Roots Band. We have three shows this weekend. The first is this Friday for a free family show in the down town park. Then latter that night for the 21 and up at La Salles. And then our back yard party Saturday night across the street from Craig Hall.
Glad to see all the nice reggae coming though Chico can't wait to move back in October.

When times are tuff STAY POSITIVE
September 01, 2009 07:56PM
SEPTEMBER 10TH @ LOST, DOUBLE LION ARTIST SHOWCASE ALONGSIDE IRIE DOLE!! I'LL POST THE FLYER WHEN I FIND THE DIGITAL IMAGE. BLESS!

twitter.com/JahWarriors
September 10, 2009 09:50PM
TONIGHT!!! BIG TINGS @ LOST!!!

twitter.com/JahWarriors
September 11, 2009 08:45PM
Way to stay positive there Empress...... some of us out here don't get to witness reggae history in the making anymore and ache for it.

If I had the money I would pay twice that amount to be a part of history.

Teresa

Cause my sweet life must be somewhere to be found...instead of Concrete Jungle...where the living is hardest. Bob Marley
September 12, 2009 01:09AM
Ras Danny wrote, "geeez, I envy the Chico massive!"

Yeah , we do down here in Texas as well, especially the part about possibly waking up with Solid in the morning.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
September 17, 2009 08:16PM
KICKIN OFF THE BIRTH-STRONG UP IN CHICO WITH THE BROTHERS!!

twitter.com/JahWarriors
September 17, 2009 09:35PM
Aw man! I'll be at Earthdance. Have fun fellas!

Ever Forward
Empress
September 17, 2009 11:52PM
anything popping this friday or sattaday night?
September 18, 2009 04:03PM
Have a blessed birth-strong IRIE Dole and big ups to the one BooMshot!
September 24, 2009 07:53PM
TONIGHT!!!!

twitter.com/JahWarriors
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login