Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

JACKIE MITTOO QUESTION...

Posted by papa ray 
JACKIE MITTOO QUESTION...
November 30, 2004 04:16AM
Wellll...since there does seem to be a lot of knowledgable folks about this
board, I'm curious: does anyone know WHY Mr. Mitto left Jamacia when, it would seem, he departed at a time when his influence(and earning power)
as a supremely well-connected Session Don was at its peak on the island?
Was it political considerations, threats to his life, or a desire to enjoy the
bracing climate of Canada? I've thought over this on and off for some time...

I actually had the pleasure of meeting JM & found him an absolute and
gracious gentleman, easy going and wise. It was during his involvement w/ a Bunny Wailer tour. By the by, the tribute set on VP for Jackie is on my top-10 list of all music for '04, & I noticed some of the numbers from this release were used for backing tracks on Glenn Washington's latest VP collection, Want To be Loved.
jbwelda
Re: JACKIE MITTOO QUESTION...
November 30, 2004 04:52PM
he probably wasnt making any money in jamaica. a gig in the airport lounge in toronto probably started looking pretty good to him. i dont think he was much of a "session don" in ja at all...i think studio one was on the outs and he was probably so closely connected to it that he was also out of demand as a result. his cheesy, funk style keyboard stylings were probably considered way out of date. (thats not a put down by the way, just a description that has always jumped into my head on hearing his solo albums).

just a guess.

one love
jah bill
Big Bad John
November 30, 2004 06:22PM
>i think studio one was on the outs.......

>i dont think he was much of a "session don" in ja at all...

Whatever made you think that William?
jbwelda
November 30, 2004 06:28PM
i think it is pretty well known that by the 80s studio one was no longer on any cutting edges...channel one stole its thunder, and its old time sound was out and rub a dub was in.

one love
jah bill
Big Bad John
November 30, 2004 06:48PM
Jackie Mittoo left Jamaica in the mid 70's (well before the 80's) after creating a sound that Channel One, and the subsequent dancehall movement based most of their rhythm arrangements on.

Along with Leroy Sibbles you've got two of the music's most important figures.
Big Bad John
November 30, 2004 06:53PM
William, lay off the salt grains and you might appreciate the cheese more.
jbwelda
November 30, 2004 07:12PM
>after creating a sound that Channel One, and the subsequent dancehall
>movement based most of their rhythm arrangements on.

and it is well known that originators rarely get the credit they deserve. especially in the reggae game.

>At no times - ever - was Studio One considered as anything other than "the"
>studio.

maybe thats true for someone who has never set foot outside of the uk, but it certainly is not true for those who have been to jamaica. i think even souljazz in their dvd says so. but i dont suppose that counts.

and reel, how about fulfilling your obligations to those who sent you money? or even answering their emails asking whats up with the package you supposedly already sent?

meanwhile if you know so much, why dont you answer the guys question instead of picking on me when i try to? i just dont think "oh he just felt like it" is an adequate reply. it will be a moot point soon anyway...when this thread mysteriously disappears.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
November 30, 2004 07:28PM
mr ray: please ignore my responses to this thread...it is much more likely mr reel has the correct answers. he just kinda, you know, felt like it. and he didnt know adrian sherwood or the story would undoubtedly be very different from reels corner.

laters

one love
jah bill
November 30, 2004 07:28PM
Author: The man (213.78.72.---)
Date: 11-30-04 10:43

Welda as usual is way off mark. At no times - ever - was Studio One considered as anything other than "the" studio. All the badman wouldn't listen to anything else. Jackie had cousins in Canada and he decided he'd like a break, that's all. Jackie was the sort of cat who anyome would've fed, housed and been entertained, intrigued and overwhelmed by.

Penny Reel
November 30, 2004 07:30PM
"i'm playing SNWMF in June"

?????
jbwelda
November 30, 2004 07:33PM
thats a good one reel. creative writing at its best.

one love
jah bill
November 30, 2004 07:54PM

DAMN, I wuz jus' wonderin' 'bout Mistuh Mittoo, y'all.

Without calling verbal fire&brimstone, has anyone else heard that VP
All-Star tribute on VP that came out in March? I thought it nicely
shows what a gift Mittoo had for being a melodic minaturist, as well
as reminding us how bedrock foundation Jackie's contributions
were....
Big Bad John
November 30, 2004 08:31PM
>and it is well known that originators rarely get the credit they deserve. especially in the reggae game.

You got that William, but only if you're speaking for yourself.
jbwelda
November 30, 2004 08:42PM
i havent heard the VP one (is it mittoo or a "tribute" to mittoo by other artists?) but several jackie mittoo releases of late (last few years) have really been killers. among them: keyboard king at studio one on soul jazz, tribute to JM on heartbeat, the bunny lee "showcase" reissued (more or less) on blood and fire (funny, i cant seem to find that in ernies website)...and i think there was one other that is escaping me at the moment.

but various sources have been raving about the VP release; if it is other artists playing jackie mittoo riffs though...im unsure how they can beat the real thing!

im probably way off base as usual though so take everything i say with a grain of salt. jb dont know squat.

personally i like JM best when he is channelling booker t and the all stars, and that was more the bunny lee stuff, i think.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
November 30, 2004 08:47PM
"big bad" john sez:
>You got that William, but only if you're speaking for yourself.

flattery will get you nowhere, johnny.

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login