Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WAILERS at Top Deck?

Posted by Jackie Pablo 
Jackie Pablo
WAILERS at Top Deck?
December 01, 2004 10:42AM
Just in at Ernie's -

TOP SOUNDS FROM TOP-DECK / SKA-BOO-DA-BA - The SKATALITES (WIRL LP)

there are two vocal tracks on this LP

'Shame And Scandal' + 'Wings Of A Dove'

According to the sleeve 'Wings Of A Dove' is a traditional arrangement by 'The Gaytones'.
According to Ernie 'Wings Of A Dove' is by 'Bob Marley & The Wailers'.

'Shame And Scandal' is listed by Ernie as unknown vocals, but as far as I gather it's another one from The Gaytones.

Wings Of A Dove - The

according to Ernie
Jackie Pablo
Re: WAILERS at Top Deck?
December 01, 2004 12:25PM
The Wailers version of 'Wings Of A Dove' is on Heartbeat's Studio 1 collection 'Climb The Ladder'. This version is not on the Skatalites WIRL LP.
Professor Mushtaq
December 02, 2004 12:55AM
I've never heard they recorded for Mr Yap and have that record and don't recall any vocals on it.
December 02, 2004 03:41AM
would Shame and scandal be an earlier version of this ? :
Daughter Whinny - Shame & Scandal / Roots Radics - Dub Hit Bound/Channel One 1982

Which I gather is an old Jamaican folk song or something.
Jackie Pablo
December 02, 2004 12:47PM
Professor,
Maybe some Ska man could clear this up. I guess the original release was 12 instrumental Ska tracks issued in the UK on Doctor Bird Records.

The WIRL issue dropped a couple of the instrumentals and added the two Gaytones vocals.

There is a good chance the reissued CD from West Side (or Warner?) includes all these tracks plus more.

Bufo,
I don't know the Channel One cut, but you are probably right. The fact it was an old Jamaican folk song means there must be many variations and versions of the song on disc.

Odd that Lance Percival covered it and had a top 10 hit with this in the 60's!

There were three singles on Studio 1 with that title:

The Hiltonairs
King Barou & Mighty Swinger
The Wailers
December 02, 2004 03:11PM
I really enjoy the Daughter Whinny cut, it sounds like someones teenage daughter singing it, but works in a strange rural folk kind of way. And the fat Radics dub is nice on the flip.
Professor Mushtaq
December 02, 2004 10:52PM
JP - I Checked my LP (it has both Doctor Bird and WIRL acknowledged on the sleeve but is in too good condition to be the original 60s DB release to my eyes, looks like a more recent re-issue) and indeed there were two vocal tracks on side two, mislabelled but likely both by the Gaytones rather than the Wailers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login