Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what happened to ziggy marley?

Posted by Jahmeek 
what happened to ziggy marley?
December 15, 2004 02:09PM
this was written on cover of release titled 'one bright day' in the year 1989 with the melody makers*

ALL PRAISES BE TO THE ALMIGHTY
and the lord wil become king over all the earth on that day the Lord will be one and his name one
Zech 14 Verse 9
This is the genertion of them who seek him....

THIS ALBUM IS LIVICATED TO ALL THE CHILDREN
RASTAFARI LIVE EVER.
our generation MUST make the change. Selah
---------------------------------------------------------
alrite its been well over a decade now with alot of great material pressed since dis date. last year recent the Melody Makers called it in going dem own ways. Ziggy quikley was working in studio for a big label(i*would rather nah mention) to release a souped up project with out any reggae or even reggae players called 'dragon fly'. backed by clear channel((cringe rasta)) dis single did not get much airplay but was massive toured in almost any main city around the country & further on the marley name alone. this album really takes on a pop style message & pretty much leaving the roots of rastafari behind or atleast uncovered by far. i* cant blame david marley for wanting to do sumting new but is this a dis to the struggle of the reggae movement or what is it?(never mind the producer) during interveiws he also now cite away from talking about his direct relationship with Haile Selassie I unlike his father or ALL of his past albums in general. not to mention there is a list miles long of complaints of ticket holders who paid jacked costs the clear channel expecting to c' reggae & got a package of bubblegum & push around by clear channels meat-head security force. some even claimed his opening act spearhead out did ziggy'z vibes by far which is also distrubing to ini considering i*ve been listioning to the marley familys stuff for years beyond years & cant give spearhead any more credit than a reggae festival tag along(opinion).
>next the marley family tour* any questions? yeh plenty but it rest in peace on thoughts of brother Bob's great worx* -RASpects+
Re: what happened to ziggy marley?
December 15, 2004 03:15PM
Bob was Bob. Ziggy is his own person. Dragonfly was what ziggy wanted to play. It is not my cup of tea, but i respect him for going in his own direction. He was not put on this earth to promote reggae music, or to be 'the son of'. While it is certainly true that he used the family blessings bestowed on him, he felt the time had come to do his own thing.

Reggae and HIM are not for everyone......
December 15, 2004 03:52PM
>true daniel & like i* said i* can't blame david for wanting to do sumting differnt. dat iz hiz JAH freedom YES*. i* for 1 along with so many others beleive in the silver spoon conception here but never the less even without the struggle he never knu* past his fathers message handed to him does not exclude the support for the BIGGEST problem in the united states music industry today 'clear channel'. even though i* luv hiz voice(JAH gift) & kno* he could really do so much better than 'dragon fly' doesnt mean iNi dont feel sucker punched when he hides on dat fancy tour bus to flatout ignore the common street or reggae level fan in dis current system nitemare a.k.a. babywrong* still like to hear thoughts on dis subject i* feel is a misdemeanor of old newz anyhow* -RASpects+
TR-808
Re: +dar** +-*
December 15, 2004 03:55PM

what?

someone would rather sit on a tour bus than talk to +dar "jahmeek"**?

hard to fathom.
December 15, 2004 04:03PM
>beleive it or not yes it's true if u sign contrats for clear channel just like if u abandoned YOUR job rite b4 the SNWMF & leave the t-sets to be murdered by the system. -RASpects+
TR-808
Re: +dar**
December 15, 2004 04:07PM

what are t-sets?

i don't question your position on clear channel.

was saying how strange it is that ziggy wouldn't want to get out of his tour bus to be browbeaten by an arizonan.
jbwelda
December 15, 2004 04:35PM
when me and a buddy went to see toots and the marley gang at the greek in berkeley, the marleys were nowhere to be seen except on stage. i think they are stars, and dont always want to rub shoulders with the great unwashed. but go to jamaica and you can talk to ziggy face to face at 56 hope road (or at least you used to be able to). sort of a side bar: ran into that jr gong guy once at a show and chatted with him for a bit (i was with carlton manning which just about floored mr gong) and he didnt seem to have a problem with talking to mere mortals.

on the other hand, its a rough life on the road and sometimes, esp when its 110 outside (just guessing...arizona and all), im thinking even the most gregarious person just wants to relax sometimes. cant judge harshly just based on that. i dont think these guys owe anyone anything other than to appear on the show youve paid for a ticket to.

one love
jah bill
December 15, 2004 04:44PM
>it waz only a figure of speech about the love bus joy. although bands who ride up in tour bus's like israel vibration would on any givin' day probley be a little more open to dem fanz & most likley not let meat-head security abuse dem fanz. butanyways i* will still listion to albums a millions times over like: "concious party" b4 i* would play "dragon fly" one more time. butanyways clear channel the real enemy here seen* ziggy just sliped dem a sign-me-up dats all. not to say steel pulse among many others trying to stay on a common commercial label have not(lets leave VP out of dis 1).
-RASpects+
jbwelda
December 15, 2004 04:44PM
wait i have to take that back...some or all the marleys were signing autographs during the show so they werent hiding out, but i didnt even see them backstage.

one love
jah bill
December 15, 2004 04:50PM
>yes ziggy signs autographs all the time have seen him personaly do it. but does not want to reply to why in the hell does he support clear channel, nore did steel pulse*
-RASpects+
jbwelda
December 15, 2004 05:16PM
well, whats the guy supposed to do? someones asking for an autograph and they are supposed to entertain questions, in public, about the hand that feeds them? not likely, and i dont think even if it were likely that the discussion would go very far. why clear channel? because they have the pull, they have the contacts, they have the $. im not supporting them, but from an artists viewpoint that starts looking pretty good, esp when they buy the tour and guarantee the paychecks regardless of turn out. but if youre going to ask ziggy loaded questions like that when hes being nice enough to meet-and-greet, well, youre just not thinking clearly. what do you want him to do, pull out the balance sheet and set up an appointment for you and his accountant?

one love
jah bill
December 15, 2004 05:22PM
>yeh mon i* never would bum rush him or any artist like dat during prime time* but i* did attempt to contact many of dem 'fronts' by mail as well as steel pulse & guezz what "nothing". it fell off the face of the earth & so did half the faces of their fanz who knu* really what haz happened, so to speak. -RASpects+
TR-808
Re: *dar++> -RASpects+
December 15, 2004 05:23PM

what?

someone didn't want to return emails from +dar "jahmeek"**?

hard to fathom.
December 15, 2004 07:55PM
Maybe they couldn't understand your Jahmeek language.... It does take some time to decipher what you are talking about Jahmeek.

Solid, haven't heard from you. Is that option out?
December 15, 2004 09:47PM
Ziggy Marley did lipstick ads Cover Girl. Fiyah burn....
December 15, 2004 10:32PM
Yeah, that was very poor taste, agreed.
Roots_Drummie
December 16, 2004 12:02AM
No matter what Ziggy's doing, there will be someone out critizing his musical choice. If he continued to do what his father did, which's hard for him to do since he wasn't born in poverty like Bob did, he will still be critized for mimmicking Bob, like the younger Marleys are doing IMHO. I have sme of the early MM albums but never really listened to any of Ziggy's newer stuff nor the other 'young ones'winking smiley.

In 1997 we played at the Kansas City reggae fest and Rita was headlining the bill on the day we played. A lot of the bands stayed around to catch the rest of the show and were hanging out backstage, where all the band vehicles were alo parked. Right before the band before her went on stage, she pulled up in a limo. She got out, surrounded by a couple of large bodyguards. They headed to the promoters office. Shortly after a herd of security personnell wet around and told us that everybody that was not part of the band that was currently on stage or part of her band and entourage to leave the backstage area immidiately and will not allowed back in until she finishes her set and leaves the the grounds. Her set was pretty much 99.2% Bob covers.
at least Ziggy writes and perform his own material, reggae or not.
December 16, 2004 06:53AM
Can't put our expectations on the lad, but then again I never expect him to
write a song that comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable in
Jamdown. May he have a happy life, I'm sure his dad would be happy knowing
how things have turned out...
December 16, 2004 01:29PM
Who cares leave the guy alone. Now we judge based on affiliations? Everyone who tours in the US. Including Anthony B and Capleton pay taxes to the US government, does this mean they support everything the US government does? Fire Burn out you who judge a man you don't even know
December 18, 2004 10:11AM
"pay taxes to the US government"
it's the law i*dren. good observation dar zeen and i* suppose your 1 of the 1'z runnin' in the woods play music like a real bushman trying to rid of dat paper trail* he ha he. -RAspects+
December 20, 2004 09:19AM
Funny it is also the law that you don't smoke high grade yet they break that law because they do not believe it is just. If you think that America is Babylon then why do you support babylon by taking there currency and using it. I do pay taxes, yet I also don't call the US gevernment the Devil incarnate. We got more probl;ems than we know what to do with, yet the Devil? I noticed that you still didn't answer the question about judgement based on affiliations. I guess it is only better to slam people or actions that you have no connection with like clear channel. But since you are affiliate with the monetary system of the US which is a far greater evil than clear channel you will leave that alone.

PS please don't say we have no choice, because we do. Do you know what your taxes are paying for?
Sankofa
December 21, 2004 08:06AM
Easy with Ziggy Kings and Queens because right now in these times all one's ever want to do is pull down ones. When will we start to build? It is ok to scrutinize Ziggy. We are all human and we will all make mistakes! Brother Ziggy hasn't given us songs that degrade people like some of our other brothers and sister entertainers! They are the ones who need this scrutiny to bring them back to the light. Rastafari!
Dirtbag
December 21, 2004 04:03PM
"Hey what a wonderful world today, its time to work and play, and get along with eachother." Arthur theme song on pbs Ziggy. I dont feel the neccesity to knock anyone for pursuing there own musical preferences as long as they dont degrade society. Ziggy- dragonfly all you want "Got to be true to yourself"
Fleximix
January 01, 2005 06:12AM
< Right before the band before her went on stage, she pulled up in a limo. She got out, surrounded by a couple of large bodyguards. They headed to the promoters office. Shortly after a herd of security personnell wet around and told us that everybody that was not part of the band that was currently on stage or part of her band and entourage to leave the backstage area immidiately and will not allowed back in until she finishes her set and leaves the the grounds. Her set was pretty much 99.2% Bob covers.
at least Ziggy writes and perform his own material, reggae or not.>

Seems perhaps not entirely unreasonable for someone who has been shot in the head once already (during the BM assassination attempt)..

Plus there's probably a lot of BMW obsessed maniacs with their minds fogged up by weed who are gonna get in her face with distracting conversations and questions when she needs to focus on the show..
Fleximix
January 01, 2005 06:16AM
Re Ziggys pop album, I haven't actually heard it but I think sure why not, why does he have to do reggae just because his dad did? He's old enough to be his own man so if he;s not feeling the reggae but some other vibe, thats what he's gotta do..
January 02, 2005 11:14AM
>yes true flexi* all positive muzick must forward in dis crucial time. whether it jazz or roots it must gwan YES*!
just seems a lill' strange comein' from the second generation of the worlds most popular Ras Mon* since he meaning 'ziggy' did mek a irie pile of countless good reggae songs since creation dat dont smell like bubblegum @ all & so on...
but anyways the focuss here is from i* iz mostly on why the axis of evil ' clear channel' must be used by any reggae musican/group in the united states & further.
but with dem own foriegn mind(not from amerikkka) mayB dem just dont know what 'clear channel
' actauly does for the babywrong com-unity. which seems 2b a whole nother story here zeen* -RASpects+
January 03, 2005 09:22AM
Clear Channel? explain why you despise these people. I really do want to know cause I don't know too much about them
January 03, 2005 09:42AM

In 1996, Clinton's administration passed legislation called the telecommunications act that repealed the previous laws that prevented monopolies in the media. This opened the door for corportions like Clear Channel to buy up all the radio stations,entertainment newspapers, venues, and talent agencies.
Clear Channel was able to buy out most of the major independent promoters and their venues across the country, to create a homogenized, corporate mainstream music scene.
Many major touring artists now sign retainer deals with corporations who sponsor them and control where they play and what they release.
This creates a major problem for artists and promoters who want to operate independently. You can't get any ink in the newspaper, or radio time, other than on local independent college stations with limited bandwidth.
To put it simply..If you don't sell yourself out to Clear Channel, your just not going to make it big in the music game these days. -MK
January 03, 2005 10:19AM
Seen and Overstood. Thank You
January 03, 2005 10:36AM
"at least Ziggy writes and perform his own material.."

Unfortunatelly.
January 03, 2005 11:16AM
If he was your boy he would be the greatest thing since sliced bread don't hat one the man
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login