Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does a jamaican backing band make difference?

Posted by G DUB 
bmd
Re: Does a jamaican backing band make difference?
February 25, 2010 02:58PM
White boys can't play Reggae, every true Jamaican music fan knows that!

Bigmikeydread Reggae Radio

Reggae, Ska, Mento, Calypso, Rocksteady, Dancehall, Dub, Roots, Humour, Live Talk Radio
February 25, 2010 03:08PM
BMD, Huh?!? You do it all the time. Or maybe you're just not a true Jamaican music fan.

Cheers
bmd
February 25, 2010 03:23PM
I kinda meant play as in player of instruments as opposed to selector of records ;-)

Reggae, Ska, Mento, Calypso, Rocksteady, Dancehall, Dub, Roots, Humour, Live Talk Radio
February 25, 2010 03:27PM

True, that's why Bob Marley was only 1/2 good......
February 25, 2010 03:54PM
Is Tony Chin black?

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
February 25, 2010 04:00PM
His father was both Black and Chinese. His mother was both Black and Indian.....
February 25, 2010 04:28PM
Atta bwoy, F It Up, keep ignorance alive!

Peace,
-RV
February 25, 2010 04:38PM
Fire it Up. Is there something in the experience of being "black" that you think is required in order to play the music properly? It seems to me that your claim is similar to saying that only Chinese can master Kung Fu. My main man Jim Kelly will beat you down for those kind of claims. You need to go on a Ralph Macchio style Crossroads adventure to learn that color has nothing to do with music. Perhaps you have to know the culture and the rythm of a people in order to play the music, but people of all colors are capable of this. It takes time, respect and livication to the craft. I guess that means Stevie Ray Vaughn was a thief and a hack in your world. Interesting take
February 25, 2010 04:42PM
It just so happens non-black, and more specifically non-JA, artists simply aren't as good as the original thing.
February 25, 2010 04:44PM

Peace,
-RV
February 25, 2010 05:40PM

Reggae, Ska, Mento, Calypso, Rocksteady, Dancehall, Dub, Roots,Humour, Live Talk Radio

ahahaha...you're a funny guy bmd!
February 25, 2010 06:02PM
* I would like to officially re-tract my previous statement. Sorry I have not been to Jamaica in a while. Dubtonic Kru's performance last night was epic. Non-Jamaican's can't throw down the Island Vibe like that. Epic show last night!!!!
February 25, 2010 06:25PM
this reminds me of this south park episode......
[www.southparkstudios.com]

------
— Token: But I don't have a bass guitar.
— Cartman: Jesus, Token, you're black, there's gotta be a bass guitar in your basement somewhere.
— Cartman: All right, Token, give me a smooth bass line.
— Token: I don't know how to play bass.
— Cartman: Token, how many times do we have to go through this? You're black. You can play bass.
— Token: I'm gettin' real sick of your stereotypes!
— Cartman: Be as sick as you want, just give me a God damned bass line!
(Token starts to play well, to his astonishment.)
— Token: Oh God dammit.
------

so if you wanna be like cartman, go for it.....
February 25, 2010 06:29PM
How on Earth does what one particular band did for you last night preclude all non-JA musicians from reaching similar heights? i had a damn good sandwich last night (chicken parmigiana), and while i could say that it was the best sandwich i have ever had (it wasn't, but it was good), it doesn't mean that i couldn't have had another chicken parm that was also very good and it especially doesn't mean that it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone else to make a good chicken parm.

i like a good band, and if the sound is right, i am a happy soul and i'm not checking for passports or birth certificates just giving thanks. If the sound is wrong, i am disappointed, so what good would the passport check do?

i will say though, that when hearing a good reggae band, i am definitely still connecting that sound in my head or in my heart with the Jamaican singers,musicians, and producers that paved the way and brought to my attention what i consider to be the authentic sound.

Perhaps you have to know the culture and the rythm of a people in order to play the music, but people of all colors are capable of this. It takes time, respect and livication to the craft.

And i think that Ninja's words here describe the situation perfectly. i think it is very tough to meet the standard of the authentic sound, and some come closer than others, but it can be and is done.
February 25, 2010 06:36PM
Anyone who thinks Jamaican musicians or artists are better simply by being Jamaican has never worked in a recording studio in Jamaica. You wouldn't believe some of the crap i've heard working in Jamaican studios...

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
February 25, 2010 06:53PM
* Yeah, you can't describe it in words - it's vibes. I don't know, yes, american bands can rock the party, but last night the authentic modern Jamaican sound was out in full force. When I go to JA, I listen to the radio a lot. The sound and vibes took me back there for sure. The band members, their clothes, their stage presence, the sound. Trust me, lots of whack artists in JA. Paper Dawg last night sealed the deal. I feel refreshed!!! DOPE!!!!!!!!!!
AKA
February 25, 2010 07:00PM
I don't think that being any special color or coming from any special country is a prerequisite for being a great musician in any particular genre. I think it has more to do with understanding how to play through your soul as opposed to your mind. When you have complete control of the music in this way it allows you to go where the music takes you instead of where the rules you've learned tell you to go.

Easy example would be James Brown's - Cold Sweat. One of the funkiest songs of all time, but the bridge is absolutely musically incorrect. Pee Wee Ellis could not have come up with that song if he had arranged the song according to rules instead of feel. Obviously life experiences help mold this skill, but I do think there are exceptions.

From a Miles Davis biography
"One day at Julliard, a white female teacher told the class that black people played the blues because they "were poor and had to pick cotton". Miles immediately raised his hand and said that he grew up wealthy, never picked cotton and that he played the blues." - Miles dropped out of Julliard and decided that being around Charlie Parker was more educational.
February 25, 2010 07:38PM
you can do a blind listening test of a classic riddim
and see if you can tell a JA band from a US band.
if you can't then you are basing it on skin color etc.
good technical reggae players who also play soulfully come
from all corners. i've heard great and awful JA and US reggae bands.

a
February 25, 2010 08:01PM
i've heard great and awful JA and US reggae bands.

Yes Adam, but have you ever had a great Chicken Parm? In Jamaica?
February 25, 2010 08:51PM
most so called 3rd world countries i have been to have lousy italian food.
but hey. i had trouble finding a good mozzarella in albuquerque and NOLA as well. a
February 26, 2010 03:36AM
There are plenty of artists who could repaint the Mona Lisa line-by-line yet couldn't produce an original painting worthy of being hung in a Calcutta prostitute's washroom.
February 26, 2010 05:30AM
Reggae music was created by blacks who experienced slavery and still suffer from racisms in their daily lives. They sing about about racism and among other things that effect them everyday. So what exactly dose a white boy know about racism ?. when the fact is that whites colonized people of colors all over the world and killed millions and stole their resources.

Even today whites still kill people of colors every where , for example, Iraq and Afghanistan and getting ready to evade Iran . In U.S , blacks still live in a horrible condition in Ghettos which i call it a concentration camps all over the country. African American fought for this country when they didn't have rights to vote . From civil war to every major war this country envolved , yet they still treated like second class citizen.

People of colors express their frustration with music and for whites Reggae is a kick back music to smoke a joint and chill.

Some one mention Bob Marley for being half white . Well , Bob dad left him when he was a child and he was raised by his black mother in a shanty town in Kingston . All he ever known was black experience ,black culture and he suffer just like them . a lot of Jamaican do not see him as a white rather see him as black man and he is like it or not.

Most of you who criticized me and call me names , I know u are white so there fore I expected that from u because u don't want to hear the truth.

February 26, 2010 05:54AM
Reggae music was created by blacks who experienced slavery and still suffer from racisms in their daily lives. They sing about about racism and among other things that effect them everyday. So what exactly dose a white boy know about racism ?. when the fact is that whites colonized people of colors all over the world and killed millions and stole their resources.

Even today whites still kill people of colors every where , for example, Iraq and Afghanistan and getting ready to evade Iran . In U.S , blacks still live in a horrible condition in Ghettos which i call it a concentration camps all over the country. African American fought for this country when they didn't have rights to vote . From civil war to every major war this country envolved , yet they still treated like second class citizen.

People of colors express their frustration with music and for whites Reggae is a kick back music to smoke a joint and chill.

Some one mention Bob Marley for being half white . Well , Bob dad left him when he was a child and he was raised by his black mother in a shanty town in Kingston . All he ever known was black experience ,black culture and he suffer just like them . a lot of Jamaican do not see him as a white rather see him as black man and he is like it or not.

Most of you who criticized me and call me names , I know u are white so there fore I expected that from u because u don't want to hear the truth. So go ahead white boy , light up a joint , stretch on the couch and listen to the sufferers cry.
February 26, 2010 07:18AM
wait a second, what color is obama again>? or is it that he was raised by a white single mother, whose black father left hiim as a yuth= a white black man? or a black white man?

so what country is he a second class citizen? and what country does he war in?

i would hope to evade iran also if i ever get a chance, although i have many iranian bredrian, and bredren and sisdren of all colors that i sit on many couches with and stand together with and smok===. and cry.

ask bob marley what he knows of rascism in his own country JA, when he was declared 'not black enuf' or laughed at and dissed by his own bredren tosh because he was the son of a white man.

i suppose i should only listen to boston, because i am a white man. and that is all i deserve. or should i just put a bullet in my head to atone for sins past?
February 26, 2010 08:11AM
"Most of you who criticized me and call me names , I know u are white so there fore I expected that from u because u don't want to hear the truth. So go ahead white boy , light up a joint , stretch on the couch and listen to the sufferers cry."

you can try and blame the white man for all your problems, but the reality is the only thing holding you back in life is your stupid ass attitude.... i feel sorry for you.... i really didn't think it was really possible for someone to be as much of an ignorant douchebag as you have demonstrated yourself to be....

tool.
February 26, 2010 03:43PM
This thread's a trainwreck

Fire it up - you kill me. Who cares what they're singing about, this threads about the PLAYERS, not the singers.

Each and EVERY band should be making a difference, if they expect to be relavent and adding something to music. Leave your mark in your own way.

I'd rather hear someone playing from the heart doing their own thing than someone who's doing a good job sounding "authentic", that's part of seeing live music. Besides, as someone pointed out up there - there are crappy musicians everywhere... be real

February 26, 2010 03:57PM
EARNEST: ' Characterized by the firm and humorless belief in the validity of one's opinions;'

The level of bovine (sorry, cows) EARNEST incomprehension and (yes) misplaced attempts at cultural sensitivity ---paraded as musical insight---I sometimes see on this forum elicits a chuckle before I know I've chuckled.

And, for the record, would make a whole lot of folks I know in JA laugh out loud.

Post Edited (02-26-10 08:00)
February 26, 2010 06:30PM
thanks ras james and stamina for the info about Etana's backing band ...what fooled me was this youtube.
I still think they sound great..

February 27, 2010 12:48AM
check this link:

the band is a mix of white and latino musicians from L.A. (ironically named "The Black Emeralds"winking smiley. pretty hard to find a jamaican band that sounds like this today, in my opinion.

the DJ is Jah Faith from Trinidad, and the singer at the top is Sangie Davis.

Post Edited (02-26-10 17:08)
February 27, 2010 01:42AM
i enjoy many cuts by 10 ft ganja plant

February 27, 2010 02:25AM
Expanders, that sounds nice...thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login