Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thanks for the knowledge

Posted by fourtwentyplenty 
Thanks for the knowledge
March 24, 2004 09:15PM
The more time I spend on this board, the more I realize how much I don't know about reggae history or discography. I'm no slouch when it comes to having music and I've done some reading and such. But, I can see now that some of you guys are out of my league. Keep teaching and revealing so that those of us that think we know something can be humbled into continuing to learn and expand our knowledge of reggae music and the culture behind it. Thanks to all of you that want to share your knowledge.

fourtwentyplenty
Re: Thanks for the knowledge
March 24, 2004 09:29PM
I feel you....The deeper you go, the less you realize you know.
ForwardZion..........
jb welda
March 24, 2004 10:20PM
i dont know if youre partially referring to me, but if you are let me say ive been listening to and learning about reggae music for over 25 years now and let me tell you, i know some people (over in the uk especially) who make me feel like i know nothing. thats what lifes about: once you think you know a lot you realize how little you actually know.

one love
jah bill
for the 101th time
March 24, 2004 10:22PM

hey i'm not in the UK
March 24, 2004 10:38PM
I think Groundation's album title sums it up perfectly: "Each One Teach One"

In spite of having been around the scene for decades, I have learned a wealth of information from Jah Bill regarding reggae. I suspect there is a next person who would same the same thing about me, and it is true, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!
jb welda
for the 102nd time
March 24, 2004 10:39PM
and i know more than you.

na na, na na na...

:-)

one love
jah bill
jb welda
March 24, 2004 10:41PM
ps: that was aimed at solid aka whatever he is calling himself today, not daniel!
respect to the both of you (or in solids case, all of the various yous).

one love
jah bill
March 24, 2004 10:56PM
I'm fond of telling people 'the nice thing about music is you can NEVER think
you've heard it all, or know-it-all'. Any teacher who's no longer a student might slip on the mudless hill....Jah Bill,given your spell of reggae listenin', does that make us both in that AARP range?? I do know one of my enjoyments of SNWMF
is all the truly fine,fit,over-40 women you see in their glory walkin' about....mercy!
jb welda
March 24, 2004 10:58PM
im 23 this year.

one love
jah bill
March 24, 2004 11:04PM
Well then, yuh must have been getting the bass culture in mama's belly...
Respect, I've enjoyed your postings on this site.
flip
March 24, 2004 11:16PM
i'm always digging around in these posts looking for knowledge. if you pay attention you can pick up a ton of insight on the fest itself as well as music.

every album i buy seems to lead to another album i "have" to buy. i always like to hear what other people are into and their opinions...so thanks to everyone..
for the 101th time
March 24, 2004 11:25PM

> im 23 this year.

and i'm jb welda!
jb welda
March 25, 2004 12:49AM
>> im 23 this year.

>and i'm jb welda!

actually i think i transposed those numbers. and subtracted a decade or two.

AARP here i come!

one love
jah bill
March 25, 2004 04:55AM
I must say that I have been hearing reggae music for more than 20 years, but have only been LISTENING for the last 4.
I feel blessed to have this opportunity to attend this festival every year and actually see the message come to life.

Blessed,

Michael
March 25, 2004 06:46PM
One nice thing about Reggae and Reggae Fans,

is that you can almost count on fans wanting to spread the joy of reggae to others. If it weren't for people turning me on in the late 70's early 80's to great bands, I don't know that I'd be so passionate about this music. I'd like to say if it weren't for the DJ's over the years, getting the music to the listeners, reggae would be far more in the cloud of unknown. I myself would like to thank Hank Holmes, Roger Steffens, and Chuck Foster, Goldilocks from KUCI, Miss Wirewaist, Jim Otto, Makeda Dread and not to forget Roberto, for their contribution to Southern California reggae, I'd also like to thank people that pass music to friends to convert more people....
As for Reggae Fans I've met over the past years at SNWMF, I thank all of them for trading knowledge and keeping the music rolling. Jah Bill, Papa, Spleece and Roots, Mark Gorney, have all been stellar in generating enthusiasm in me.

so anyone who wants this music form to continue, as Bunny wailer sang "Pass it On" keep the next generations heads and hearts beating with the power of reggae.
March 27, 2004 05:03PM
Ha ha - I just love this thread! You know you are onto something really powerful and good (upful and irie, seen?) when people become so passionate about it. I too was only slightly curious at first - had a few Bob Marley albums, as well as "The Harder They Come" - but after my first reggae fest (ROTR - the 8th one I believe) I was touched forever. Nothing like a gathering of the tribes and vibes to bring back a real sense of community, with mankind AND mother nature.

I have to thank Rocky Baily (he will likely be MCing at some point this year - he is Ras Michael's brother and a regular at all the norcal fest.s) for really promoting reggae around the south bay, and for imparting many words of wisdom.

Can't wait to skank it up with all you brethren and sistren - peace and love! (Jah bless!)
Stevo
March 28, 2004 11:52PM
Respect to all soundman. I'd like to thank the Pale Ryder first and foremost when it comes to mentor's in this vibes. Brudda B, nuff contribution. And like 420p said, all of you as well. Rub a Dub it a me R&B.
Irie Ites-
Stevo
Pale Ryder
March 29, 2004 04:25PM
The teacher has become the student...
Keith_I
March 29, 2004 05:08PM
I love going back to england for shows. The crowds are always so knowledgable about the music and really make a nice vibe.
March 30, 2004 05:27PM
I LOVE YOU PEOPLE!
March 30, 2004 05:38PM
-Daniel- Indeed indeed My friend's
Recently I wrote down a realization of sort (in my Poetry book) That We in our lives Take roles to help guide one another down thier path in life!
I wrote of my good friend KCW, If it was not for someone who guided him onto his path of light- he would'nt of guided me down mine, and because he played the follower role-he realized peace and love is the way to lead your life! Then he played the leader and I followed his way of peace, Now im the leader guiding my 3 best friends onto the path of peace and self awareness in everyones conciousness. and if it wasn't all passed down the way it was.
I must say we would be on completly different life path's.
I Give much thanks and love to the Guider's, Leader's and Followers of this grate earth.
-Kev

Happy Trails
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login