Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gentleman

Posted by Tourjah 
Gentleman
January 03, 2005 07:43PM
Gentleman is the biggest reggae star out there now period!! I FOLLOW reggae and seen it all,been to all the shows etc but outta Germany come a white bwoy you cant tes. Go get his new CD, Confidence and also the old one Journey to Jah and you will overstand!!! Bring him Back to SNWMF !!!!!
Dadi Digi
Re: Gentleman
January 04, 2005 04:23AM
Dats your opinion..................but only yours !!

Happy Easter
KeithM
January 04, 2005 06:21AM
Overrated artist...but has some nice tunes.
January 04, 2005 09:51AM
My next bredrin told me that Gentleman was booed off the stage some Jamaican concert. Did anyone else hear about this, or is it pure rumor?? I am not trying to perpetuate it if it is, just checkin to see if anyone else heard about it. Personaly I think he is nice, but no where near the hottest artist out right now.
January 04, 2005 10:05AM
None of my crew listens to Gentleman. Maybe he's the biggest reggae star on your block. I thought he was a good entertainer on stage at last years SNWMF, but wasn't moved to go buy a CD.
However, Its good to see a performer out there who changing people's perception of who can perform reggae music.
I have no idea what Gentleman gets paid, but I'm sure you could bring a grip of artists from yard for the same money.
Just my thoughts..buy or pass by it. -MK
jbwelda
January 04, 2005 12:27PM
>I have no idea what Gentleman gets paid, but I'm sure you could bring a grip of
>artists from yard for the same money.

not likely, at least not to the USA. and from what ive seen, g-man brings in the crowds unlike the "grip of artists from yard" who largely get ignored in california.

one love
jah bill
January 04, 2005 02:22PM
>None of my crew listens to Gentleman

dem should give him a lissen, yeah...

unless a
"grip of artists from yard" ar just using him, I'd seh he get a lotta Raspect from dem same "grip of artists from yard" considerin all dem dat hav worked wit him inna past, an now as well...

jus an observation...

bless
Ras Danny
higher Reasoning Reggae Time
January 04, 2005 02:33PM
>"g-man brings in the crowds unlike the "grip of artists from yard" who largely get ignored in california."

How many people do you think came to SN because gentleman was there, that wouldn't have come otherwise?

How many people is Gentleman drawing on his own? Where has he played on his own out here?

I have nothing against Gentleman. I thought he was a good performer, and had some nice music. I especially appreciate the fact that he has so much cred in an industry so quick to question performers from outta yard.
I just think its a stretch to say he's "the biggest reggae star out there now period." -MK
jbwelda
January 04, 2005 02:46PM
>How many people do you think came to SN because gentleman was there, that >wouldn't have come otherwise?

i dunno, how many?

>How many people is Gentleman drawing on his own? Where has he played on his
>own out here?

i dunno, how many?

one thing i do know though, after his appearance at snwmf there was a general buzz about him and a lot of people i know (mostly of the female persuasion) thought he was THE sh*t and want to see him again and went straight out and bought his music. i would say that is true of at least 10 people i know, and i dont know a whole lot of people who are reggae listeners (present company excluded of course). i dont think i know anyone who felt the same about, say, capleton.

personally i thought his performance was one of the highlights of the show, and i was less than convinced beforehand. reviewing the show afterwards reinforced my on-the-spot opinion.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
January 04, 2005 02:51PM
by the way, please note im not arguing with you on this point:

>I just think its a stretch to say he's "the biggest reggae star out there now
>period."

because i have problems with terms like "the biggest..." when its completely unverifiable or the grounds for such a statement are not stated. its ok for an opinion, but it was stated as fact and like you, im skeptical of that "fact" or how to judge it.

one love
jah bill
January 04, 2005 02:53PM
How could Jah Bill and 100 ladies be wrong?
I take it all back.. Gentleman is the biggest reggae star out there right now period. -MK
KeithM
January 04, 2005 02:57PM
Yeah I think because he draws some screams in California makes him toppa top the dance these days.
January 04, 2005 02:58PM
I think that JB is right. There was a lot of buzz created by Gentleman last year around the time of the festival. I had fortunately heard of him before the festival thru various 45's, etc. But the group I went with (about 15-20 people), most hadn't heard of him before.

I can assure you that performance caused at least 10 Gentleman cds to be purchased from that group. I know that 20 people don't represent the masses, but I think it is a good indicator of what kind of draw he has to new fans.

Just my opinion. I have also heard that his following in some parts of Europe, especially Germany, is quite large.

One love
eric v
Acacia
January 04, 2005 02:59PM
From a female perspective, I know it's because he's so sexy. Scrawny and chip tooth winking smiley Melts them to the ground.
January 04, 2005 03:00PM
I also hear he's huge in Saskatchewan. -MK
January 04, 2005 03:03PM
...and the Niagra Falls region. -MK
January 04, 2005 03:07PM
So you do follow him then trinitymlk

So WHO does your crew listen to then?

I ran into him 3 times at the festival and each time he was more than willing to stop and chat for a bit. Very down to earth, if Solid Rock hadn't pointed him out to me there, I would've never known it was him until he hit the stage!!

One love
eric v
January 04, 2005 03:09PM
Peolpe want dancehall, they just don't get into it. And he is pretty close to easy listening dancehall as it gets. And he is white and speaks with a fake patois accent, so everyone in CA can identify with that.
AJ
January 04, 2005 03:16PM
We saw Gentleman in JA in Feb. All the Jamaican we talked to loved him. Also we just got back from JA on Sunday & the Jamacians we talked to still love him. So I think he is doing ok in JA . AJ
January 04, 2005 03:24PM
That was him working insence with Eek-A-Mouse? I would have never know either. Thanks for the heads up. -MK
jbwelda
January 04, 2005 03:49PM
i suspect trinitymlk's "crew" listens to a whole lot of st croix stuff.

but moving on, the cheesy one says:

>speaks with a fake patois accent

um not really. as i understand it, he moved to jamaica from germany and didnt know english so he picked it up in ja. hence the "fake patois accent" that a) isnt "fake" and b) i dont understand the "patois accent"..."patois" is a manner of speaking certain words and i think the "accent" comes with it.

as for the "easy listening dancehall" comment, it seems to me his set wasnt anything like "easy listening" but maybe in comparison to shouters like capleton, fizzla, those guys, give me someone who can carry a tune and ride a melody like gentleman any day. then again even thugs like TOK can sing and harmonize very well and no one is calling them "easy listening dancehall".

one love
jah bill
January 04, 2005 03:54PM
trinity--
i've gone to SNWMF almost every single year, but missed last years. however, speaking just for myself, gentleman was MY biggest draw, having seen most everyone else but him before. i couldn't wait to catch linval again, but i'd have to say that gentleman was the main reason i wanted to go. (i also really wanted to see dezarie sing to a large outdoor crowd, and watch to see how people reacted to this woman's words and voice.) i listen to a ton of this reggae music, lots of styles, and there is most definitely room for gentleman in my reggae collection. i enjoy every one of his cds i own. i don't know that he is the tops in his style of reggae, just that his contributions are well nice, and i'm glad to have been introduced to his stuff. if you'd like, i can get his sounds to you (tit for tat on the st croix, yunno...) and you can get a better feel for his music; i honestly think you'll like it. lemme know.

m.

January 04, 2005 04:10PM
Well, honestly I don't even consider him dancehall. Or Capleton and Sizzla either for that matter. But that seems to be what most folks like to classify them as and I don't bother to argue that point.
TOK is a superb dancehall crew, but you'll never see them at this fest.

I should say that by easy listening dancehall I mean modern Roots and Culture.
So it should be pointed out that the difference in dancehall and roots and culture is A) riddim and cool smileycontent.

TOK and Capelton are not the same kind of reggae.

But that ain't your cup of tea JB, so no worries mate.
January 04, 2005 04:24PM

gentleman is fine and has a couple nice tunes.. but this thread got off on the wrong foot when that guy Tourjah said "Gentleman is the biggest reggae star out there now period".. begging for some disagreement.

i've said here that i thought his performance was too showy for me... but this idea that he is reaching icon status is too much.

who elected him an icon?

does this seem a little over the top?

it seems a little over the top to me.
January 04, 2005 04:26PM
Yeah, they can bring him back year after year after year.
Just like Midnite.
January 04, 2005 04:36PM
aaaaaaaaaack!! no more midnite.
January 04, 2005 04:41PM
January 04, 2005 04:42PM
well they must be popular if they have a t-shirt.
January 04, 2005 04:47PM

>> well they must be popular if they have a t-shirt.

wow i guess that's true

jbwelda
January 04, 2005 04:55PM
no one "elects" an icon. an icon becomes an icon through popular acceptance. if he is an "icon" then there is a reason for that, and it probably isnt money spent on public relations.

one love
jah bill
reggaefan
January 04, 2005 04:57PM
Author: Acacia (---.lmi.net)
Date: 01-04-05 14:59

From a female perspective, I know it's because he's so sexy. Scrawny and chip tooth winking smiley Melts them to the ground.

------------

Acacia,

If you like "scrawny and chip tooth" - you'd love Zoki. He's got those features you like, but I warn you....he's far from being a gentleman.
January 04, 2005 04:58PM

> no one "elects" an icon

uh, yeah.

i was trying to be ironical.
January 04, 2005 04:59PM
123 - your picture don't work for me.
January 04, 2005 05:04PM

yeah that last one busted for some reason.. too bad

anyway here's zoki's t-shirt:

jbwelda
January 04, 2005 05:05PM
>i was trying to be ironical

oh i thought you were trying to be iconical.

one love
jah bill
January 04, 2005 05:06PM

booooooooooo
juanlove
January 04, 2005 05:31PM
i heard a roomer that gentleman was returning to snwmf 05 and was booked for rotr 05 as well . has any one else heard of this? one love-juan love
BMC
January 04, 2005 11:49PM
"TOK and Capelton are not the same kind of reggae"

Quite frequently, both TOK and Capleton voice the exact same riddim (recently Stepz for instance). The main difference between these two acts is that Capleton does more roots riddims next to dancehall ones than TOK. However with their tune on Drop Leaf TOK hopefully started a new period of voicing more riddims like that. So, I don't really see how they are not the same kind of reggae riddim-wise??
mashdown
January 05, 2005 12:07AM
the eminem of reggae music?
victor
January 05, 2005 08:48AM
in my opinion, gentleman is breaking barriers for the future of this style of music (reggae? dancehall? conscios dancehall?? sing jay? whatever you wanna call it...

his studio cds are solid brom beginning to end, great rythyms with best musicians in JA, and many featured singers from all over -Capleton, Bounty Killer, Junior Kelly, Mikey General, Jahmali,Terry Linen, Jack Radics, Luciano,Morgan Heritage, Daddy Rings, Barrington Levy. Tony Rebel, Ras Shiloh, Anthony B, etc.....
not to mention, his live cd, and his Far East Band from Germany is off the hook... too bad the dvd is not available in this country... cause it is the best "live reggae" dvd I seen in a long time...

I'm not on his nuts either, just giving credit where credit is due.

trinitymlk, no reason to hate man... you and your crew might wanna check it out, cause even the heads in niagra falls know wasup..

and as far as "he's the biggest reggae star out there period" thats just kind of silly, this aint a competition.... but he is rasing the standard, rasing the level, providing many with inspiration, at leat I can say that for myself an my crew.. not cuz he's white, or german, but cuz of his music, thats what this is about right? reggae is international, universal..
bigup gentleman!

January 05, 2005 09:17AM
Victor,
All right so maybe the Eek a Mouse comment was over the top. Perhaps you should read this thread from the top if you think I'm "hating" on anyone.
Gentleman does his thing, and I gave him respect. Any other comments were merely attempts to bring some humor into this forum.
I wouldn't mind if he was booked to SN and ROTR, as I would rather listen to his style than alot of other dancehall artists who might otherwise play. Respect, MK
victor
January 05, 2005 11:27AM
trinity, respect bro... I did actually read the thread from the top, that is why I wrote what I wrote...
I thought is was kind of ironic, that you said sasketchawan, niagra falls, whatever... cuz in reality, you'd be surprised, his music has gone pretty far! and all this about jah bill, 100 ladies,eek-a-mouse - ummm just seemed like you were tryin to clown gentleman, which is kind of strange, as you said you and your crew dont listen to him... I would suggest you check his albums... they might change the way you think about him... then, you should formulate your opinion in him...
check these lyrics from "life takes more than that " of his latest "confidence"

who do yuh man
Bun grudge and jealosy
Don't try fi rob me off my dignity
Won't let you destroy my definity
Shame and pride things of humanity
But the soul is infinity

In dis ya human experience
I see you putting up a fence
But a nuh so the journey is meant
Mankind that's an offense
Enlightened souls seeking a better way
We smokin' marihuana
We think of thoughts just like the buddha say
We head to nirvana

Chorus
Not wood not stone
Not flesh not bone
Not teeth noch tongue
Life takes more than that

All dem words it is just hypocricy
Personality that is just psychology
Shame and pride things of humanity
But the soul is infinity
What is good for you is terrible for me
Don't want to live the mental slavery
I am a piece in reality
I come to liberate and set the captives free

Chorus

Trying to get a head at my expense
Hoping that I will get bitter
You keep on doing it with all your relent
I ask of you what is the matter
You throw the line and see every day, lord
Frying the snapper
You better hurry up get concsience today
Before your head get lick by the shotter

Chorus
jahrico
January 05, 2005 12:43PM
Gentleman is dope his problem is that most people seem to think that white folk cant be singers in reggae(kinda sounds racist to me but...) Gentleman got bottled at sting then turned around in some music talking about how hiprocritical that is... and it is, sting is supposed to be the greatest dancehall show in the world. Most white americans would sh&% themselves there. People shooting guns and stuff americans aren't used to that. Unfortunately most reggae fans DONT seem to think reggae is a world thing just a jamaican thing. Its wierd how a music that fights against racism and seperatism etc seems to perpetuate a whole lot of it. Especially promoters. It's a real shame I see a lot of REALLY good american reggae that doesnt get any kind of props because they are american(not even race). At least in Europe they seem to think a little more forward and reggae is huge no matter your heritage or where your from... it is about how good you are!
KeithM
January 05, 2005 01:03PM
I think everyone got bottled at sting though..But I do agree with your thoughts on Reggae being a JA thing.
January 05, 2005 01:03PM
I just think they like to throw bottles at Sting.

Who hasn't been bottled at least once there?

One love
eric v
January 05, 2005 01:16PM
Yeah BMC, the point is arguable. But if you look at the body of works, TOK runs dancehall riddims and content, Capelton runs culture riddims and content. As a whole. There are exceptions, but honestly Capelton's efforts over dancehall riddims sound horrible, imo.
Same reason I cant stand to hear Buju try to sing. He does it, but that is not what puts him in the reggae history books.
BMC
January 05, 2005 01:46PM
Agree with the Buju part MnC, disagree about the quality of Capleton's dancehall efforts. Taste and all that.... :-)
Fleximix
January 05, 2005 03:53PM
I have a CDR here with about 14 cuts on a yet unreleased riddim from JA w many current name artists, Capleton, Sizzla, Morgan Heritage, etc etc & Gentlemen I have to admit was one of the top 3 best on this riddim..I didn't want to admit that at first, but I have ears & that's what they told me, in spite of what I wanted to think..so go figure..He's probably MORE accepted in JA than anywhere else except Germany of course..
Also , as far as I could suss out - his patois thing & dancehall reggae vibes don't seem strange to people there . How could that be? Perhaps cuz <they> also are doing the patois thing & dancehall reggae vibes so it doesn't seem odd in the slightest..Now perhaps if he came strolling in speaking German & singing some Bavarian folk anthems.....
Fleximix
January 05, 2005 03:54PM
Wait - I just went & counted: its 18 cuts on said riddim w various JA artistes..
Gentleman has skills..
January 05, 2005 05:20PM
Yeah man!! I am the bredren who create all the buzz about Gentleman. Like I said earlier, reggae is not new to me. Been all over the place and seen dem all, hang out with dem all. I just came back from one week vacation with MHG.
Gentleman is very respected in Yard.Why do you think all the big guns are trying to have collaboratins with him? Because he sells records and from a business stand point, he will continue to sell more so the smart ones have taken the lead to do things with him, Tony Rebel, Cocoa Tea,MHG, Capleton, Luciano just to mention a few. I don't think these bredren will do anything with any musician just because he is white or will pay dem lots of money witha fake accent. THINK AGAIN AND GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login