Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rico Rodriguez

Posted by fourtwentyplenty 
Rico Rodriguez
March 24, 2004 10:29PM
I went and got myself a Pepsi at the store today and noticed they had a promotion going where you can win a free song download from iTunes. Well I won and just downloaded Rico Rodriguez - Wareika Vibes. Great track! Anyone out there want to school me a little on Rico Rodriguez? I know a little bit, but not much.

fourtwentyplenty
Re: Rico Rodriguez
March 25, 2004 09:06AM
Foundation player. Same generation as Vin Gordon, who is currently on trombone w/ the Wailers. Rico is musician to the bone. Last time I saw him was 'Legends
of Ska' throwdown in Toronto. Other than session works, ' Roots To The Bone'
and 'Man From Wareika'(!) are must-haves. Beautiful sound. The last one
is the only reggae set to be released on the Bluenote Jazz label(back in da 70s!),
in itself a tribute to Mr. Rodriquez. Blow hornsman blow, indeed.
March 25, 2004 10:34AM
last I heard about Rico....was he was touring in South America.. Rico, legend has some of the greatest reggae lps that are very hard to find.....

I would love to see him play, if you've heard the Specials Ghost Town or a Message to Rudi, you've heard Rico.

Quick funny story....

well checking in a local magazine....I saw RICO playing locally....i was skeptical to say the least so i called the venue.....yes it was RICO who was booked, but the Bartender couldn't tell me if it was actually Rico Rodriguez who was playing. Bringing some friends into a small dive bar in San Clemente California...we waiting as the band set up.....no trombones coming out of instrument cases, I was getting edgy....waiting for the bearded one to enter....but when no trombone came out and band went into chee---zzzzy version of Sade's Smooth Operator....this ain't no RICO....
We stayed till they took a break and I told the frontman he'd better change the name to Rico Romulans or something, to simply call yourself RICO is asking to fool a lot of people.

Does anyone know what Rico is up to these days?
I would love him to come round on tour.....

Check his song AFRICA this piece will haunt your soul.....its that powerfull.
jb welda
March 25, 2004 10:35AM
rico also was featured in the specials, a second generation ska band out of england.

one love
jah bill
flip
March 25, 2004 01:36PM
recently picked up Man from Wareika (spelling may be off)...really good album....regarded as a "classic fusion of reggae and jazz"

mainly intsrumental, i like it alot...
March 25, 2004 03:41PM
Does anyone know where, if possible, I can get Man from Wareika on CD? I can't seem to find it out there.

fourtwentyplenty
flip
March 25, 2004 04:00PM
ernie B at ebreggae.com only has man from W. on vinyl. they may be out of stock but if ernie b doesn't have it that is not a good sign.

they do have a cd on the mango label that has most of the songs on man from wareika. its called roots to the bone...and it is available from ernie B.
March 26, 2004 04:02PM
I recommend the album "That Man Is Forward," by Rico. I have some tracks currently on KJAH from this album.

[www.live365.com]
April 01, 2004 12:18PM
Rico's music does seem kind of hard to Find, but there are several albums to get and all are very good. If you can find the DUB version of Man from Warieka that is my personal suggestion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login