Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jah Shaka suggestions???

Posted by Spleece 
Spleece
Jah Shaka suggestions???
January 18, 2005 04:25PM

Okay, so I have some Jah Shaka LP's, but quite honestly, most of them are very average (like the 'dubs Horace Andy', 'dubs Twinkles,' etc.). However, I have heard a few Shaka LP's that are just really increadible too, and that is what I am looking for: HEAVY, slow dub, spacyness, ocassional concience lyrics chatted in with TONS or reverb / delay: the kind that when you play it, the weak hearts get dizzy & leave the place! Any suggestions? I'm looking at these three right now...

Jah Shaka - Kings Music
Jah Shaka - Meets Sergeant Pepper In Addis Ababa Studios
Jah Shaka - Revelation Songs

Are they worth 11 bux?

-s
KeithM
Re: Jah Shaka suggestions???
January 18, 2005 04:30PM
I like his live stuff...I have a tape from Reading that is from 95 and it jams. To bad the quality is ****.
January 18, 2005 05:19PM
"...most of them are very average (like the 'dubs Horace Andy', 'dubs Twinkles,' etc""

Im afraid you're hopeless case then.
jbwelda
January 18, 2005 05:37PM
the pepper set is solid as is willie williams natty with a cause and max romeos tafari captain of my ship and their dub counterparts.

one love
jah bill
Spleece
January 18, 2005 07:44PM

Cool Bill, THANKS!

Zoki, I'm not dissin' those albums, I'm just saying that they are average compared to most other Shaka I have heard. Also, if I wanted wicked dub from Horace Andy, I'd look more toward Massive Attack stuff...

You're right KeithM, LIVE Shaka IS the BEST!

-s
January 18, 2005 08:46PM
Spleece, what I wanted to stress is either you like him or not. Like in painting, if you said you seen mediocre Valesquez or Rubens, its still Valesquez or Rubens.

Maybe you should try Jah Shaka Presents Dub Masters Vol 1, that album perfectly fits to desription of dub you like.There you'd find some B Spear, Wailing Souls and Ijahman dub versions.

" if I wanted wicked dub from Horace Andy, I'd look more toward Massive Attack stuff..."

I don't see what H Andy got to do with M Attack dubs...They bear the distinctive mark of M Proff, and he's the one who should be given all the credits.

There is a nice H Andy dub album though, a compilation made from B sides of his JA singles (mostly Channel One if I remember correctly) called 'Dub Box Set'. Check this one.
(But in small doses as JB would say in regards to H Andy).
January 18, 2005 09:40PM
yes zoki! horace andy's dub box set--rare dubs 1973-1976 is on jamaican recordings and is absolutely massive dub. the first time i heard this lp i was floored. very heavy. spleece, go get yourself some of this dub, and fast!

m.

January 18, 2005 09:43PM
'commandments of dub' what a foundation sensation! -RASpects+
Spleece
January 18, 2005 10:03PM

Right Zoki. I understand what you are saying. But, as an artist myself, not everyone likes Picasso's work for just being Picasso's: his range of work shifted from the very realistic to the really way out there! Many have favorite time eras. Personally, I'm more of a George Grosz fan......

-s
Spleece
January 18, 2005 10:04PM

Okay MK! that LP's on it's way, 9 bux ain't bad!

-s
jbwelda
January 18, 2005 10:24PM
now that youve ordered it, let me chime in on jamaican recordings: they are pretty roundly regarded as a crap label and their releases, while claiming to be "original lost mixes" or something of that sort, are obviously messed with in the here and now.

i like some of them but cant say ive given the horace andy a second listen. theres a lot better out there imo. i started out more or less a fan of the label but that has slipped considerably, esp in light of one of their latest, a don carlos dub set. thought that one reeked and the overdubs were very obvious.

one love
jah bill
January 18, 2005 10:30PM
Georg Grosz is one of my fav. too, esp. as Im living in Serbia (where the times flows backward).
BMC
January 18, 2005 10:34PM
Back to Shaka, I really like the LP Hits From The House Of Shaka. Extended tunes:

1. African Princess - Jah Children Cry
2. Jr. Brown - Warriors
3. Jah Shaka - Revelation 18
4. Still Cool - To Be Poor Is A Crime
5. Bim Sherman - Happiness
6. Jah Shaka - Lion Youth
flip
January 18, 2005 11:05PM
that african princess tune is crucial. voice reminds me of Dezarie a little.
jbwelda
January 18, 2005 11:11PM
i forgot about house of shaka. another solid release; get it while you can.

one love
jah bill
ephteeay
January 19, 2005 06:56AM
shaka meets aswad at addis ababa studios.. love it.
nice piano.. wicked drumming.. very powerful!!
January 19, 2005 07:10AM
His recent releases with Prince Allah and Johnny Clarke are very crucial lps. Altough I can understand they can be a litlle to minimalistic for those not invited to the typical UK/Shaka releases.

Dont forget Africa - Message from Africa !

--: [www.guidelightmovement.com] :--
January 19, 2005 04:15PM
respect, jah bill. but spleece, i still think the horace andy (i have several of the jamaican recordings stuff) is incredible, and my fav of the lot. play it nice and loud. and nine bucks, i liked it enough to gladly pay twice that.
"different strokes for different strokes"--norman grant.

m.

January 19, 2005 05:18PM
The best Shaka LPS imho are :

Jah Shaka Meets Pepper In Addis Ababa Studios
Junior Brown - Fly Me Away Home
Hits From The House Of Jah Shaka - The Message Part 2
Twinkle Brothers - The Right Way
Jah Shaka All Stars - Message From Africa
Sis Nya - Jah Music

All of them are showcase style & played by live musicians, not the boring drum machine oriented stuff. Many people like the albums he produced for Willie Williams, Vivian Jones, Horace Andy & Max Romeo but i find the digital production boring, flat & lifeless. All the albums i listed above match your description Spleece : "HEAVY, slow dub, spacyness, ocassional concience lyrics chatted in with TONS or reverb / delay" & all of them got reissued last year so shouldn't be too hard to find !

Regarding Horace Andy - BAF "In The Light + In The Light Dub" is a great set (originally on Hungry Town) & the dub part is even better than the vocal part imo - probably the best Horace Andy dub set available
January 19, 2005 07:07PM
CULTURE PROMOTIONS PRESENTS

THE KING OF SOUNDS JAH SHAKA SOUND SYSTEM
Live and direct
FRIDAY 28TH JANUARY 2005

Venue: THE ROCKET, Holloway Road, London N7
Nearest tube: Holloway Road, N7

10pm - 6am
13 pounds on the gate no advance tickets

Late Bar, Shaka merchandise, arts and crafts and delicious foods and snacks.

The master of Dub, King of Roots Rock Reggae Music plays an all night session and invites one and all.
Don't miss London's biggest reggae party and please spread the word as this may be the last London dance for a while.

all queries:
info@culturepromotions.com

infoline 07973 759 029
flip
January 19, 2005 07:21PM
not shaka and not a dub set but Horace Andy Dancehall Style on Wackies is my current favorite Horace album. every tune is heavy with extended versions....play it loud
KeithM
January 19, 2005 07:23PM
The Rocket is a fun place...They usually have a huge Parachute on the ceiling making a nice effect...and the sound is distrubuted excellently around the place.
January 19, 2005 07:24PM
Yes, that's my another favourite too. But JB would disagree again.

Wackies?

Blaah.
January 19, 2005 07:25PM
"They usually have a huge Parachute on the ceiling making a nice effect"

Maybe your on to something there. Perhaps a giant parachute (or similar tarp) hung properly from the ceiling or corners in the Dancehall at Angels Camp, could absorb the sound, reducing the echo chamber effect.
January 19, 2005 07:31PM
>yes dat trinity & a better soundsystem would help as well. mayB if iNi pay shaka e-nuff(probley cheaper to lend him a private jet)& get jah bill to un-load & re-load the equipment with a few other extra hands of faithful supporters from port on rental truck iNi can have the real deal here inna states for a first ever landmark history event. he,he
-RASpects+
January 19, 2005 07:38PM
Jah Meek,
I doubt any UK sound would be able to bring their stacks over here. The logistics and cost of moving that much gear would be unrealistic for a two-hour set. Especially when they are cut off at 2:00 AM, when they would usually just be warming up.
I don't think its the quality of the equipment that creates a problem in Angels Camp, so much as the acoustics of the room, and the early curfew.
Good Luck getting Jah Bill to move bass bins around, thats not in his job description. Respect, MK
January 19, 2005 07:51PM
>yeh mon iNi kno* but i* still hold-on to thought dat a rich-mon who 'own' aircraft could seal the deal with the crucial free cargo ride. start him running early to get a full set(who needs the main-stage for dis sort of special event anyways?).
>dat JB commit iz just insider stuff i*ya from last year's same topic zeen
. -RASpects+
jbwelda
January 19, 2005 08:01PM
>They usually have a huge Parachute on the ceiling making a nice effect

me and trinity evidently think alike...thats the first thing i thought of when i read this: the dancehall.

zoki i always disagree with you, except when youre right of course. in this case im not even sure i know what you want to disagree about.

and jah meek you go ahead and charter the airplane to carry 10 tons of shaka equipment over here and i will help you unload it. for trinity, shakas equipment is 60% of his vibe...as it is with most of these uk sounds (and ja sounds too). and we are not especially talking about "clean" sound here. ever been to a real dance in jamaica? some ive been to make even the worst sound in the dancehall building (friday night year before last for instance) sound pretty good in comparison. what shaka has at home is mega watts and the bins to broadcast it to good effect (read: near enough to stop your heart and then restart it again).

btw the "curfew" in the dancehall is 3am not 2am and i dont think its really a curfew, you just gotta stop at some point. as i recall it was getting pretty thin in there by 2am on friday night/sat morning.

one love
jah bill
KeithM
January 19, 2005 08:12PM
Yeah it is almost completley pointless to bring shaka for a meger 2hours and play on someone elses sound. It is cheaper to probably rent a plane for the SNWMF message board crew and fly to London, go to the rocket, where shaka will play from 9pm to 6 am and then stay at the strand palace hotel...

I think it would be a good idea to try and get more up and comming sounds out to SNWMF...they will probably try to make bigger impressions and be more crowd pleasing. Maybe one night of Established JA and US sounds and then one the oppisite end of the spectrum.
January 19, 2005 08:34PM
I have no problem with the sound quality in Dancehall. Once you get some bodies in there it sounds nice. It probably could be improved, but I realize that hanging tarps in the Dancehall is not high on the priority list.

Can anyone identify the deejay that touched the mic for one song on the Downbeat set, and was toasting "Police, Rasta No Love the Police"?

He was a bigger brother with short locks, and he was rocking a jersey if memory serves. For some reason, his toast always pops into my head. I find myself walking around talking bout "Rasta no love the police."
January 19, 2005 09:09PM
btw the "curfew" in the dancehall is 3am not 2am and i dont think its really a curfew, you just gotta stop at some point. as i recall it was getting pretty thin in there by 2am on friday night/sat morning.
>yeh it cleared cause on friday tony left early with JWSH-F selecta trying to jump up & change the whole vibe, ofcourse after dat very bob marley over-kill set downbeat endorsed.saturday was probley when SL started hyping to sean paul.

I think it would be a good idea to try and get more up and comming sounds out to SNWMF...they will probably try to make bigger impressions and be more crowd pleasing. Maybe one night of Established JA and US sounds and then one the oppisite end of the spectrum.
>established concious dance sounds not clot clasher cup heads who cant dub/mixx but think dem runn dem mouth with profane is irie,ect..

He was a bigger brother with short locks, and he was rocking a jersey if memory serves. For some reason, his toast always pops into my head. I find myself walking around talking bout "Rasta no love the police."
>yeh mon he was from NY since the commit of NY being better than cali(sumting in dat nature)sticked out here. have to listion to tape again to quote up but the message waz dar......junior P had the blessing dat nite if any1 iz asking i*
-RASpects+
bmd
January 19, 2005 09:22PM
The Allah Album is a massive 'grower', though this is the only Lp that I have pord. by Shaka that i couldn't do without,, however some of his 12"'s are devine. Just bought the Vivian Jones Lp, which didn't really impress too heavily, but sounds like it may grow well.

Dread And Fred's - Warrior's Stance / Warrior's Advance does my grey matter a world of good...
January 19, 2005 09:52PM
BMD listening to digital reggae !!!
who'd a thunk it ?
tongue sticking out smiley
January 19, 2005 10:20PM
Flip wrote: "Horace Andy Dancehall Style on Wackies is my current favorite Horace album. every tune is heavy with extended versions....play it loud"

JB, I fully agree with him on that, but I doubt you'd found a words of praise for that Wackies release...
jbwelda
January 20, 2005 12:47AM
i think its alright, personally i like blood and fires first horace andy release better, but for wackies this ha album is one of their tops.

overall i dont really care for wackies sound much, its very deriviative of other greater works imo, but that doesnt mean i dont like any of their stuff. i just dont see how people fawn over it so. much like some people dont see the reason why some love lacksley castell.

one love
jah bill
January 20, 2005 12:52AM
so, where do you stand onb the Lacksley Castell issue then JB ?
as for Wackies, some is fantastic, some is mediocre, & some is terrible
I'd put Horace Andy's Dancehall Style a little over mediocre, but well short of fantastic
jbwelda
January 20, 2005 01:09AM
i think lacksley has his moments. i agree with your assessment of wackies but maybe a bit less...little is fantastic but a lot is ok/mediocre and quite some of it i cant even stand to hear. too much gimmick and black ark imitation...and then there are what i have to guess are just plain screwups, like that field marshall whatever album. pure bunk imo.

one love
jah bill
jbwelda
January 20, 2005 03:30AM
i was probably too harsh on that last...on reflection i would have to say wackies has some very good releases, i just dont love all of them.

back to the shaka, i can see how someone could not like the maxie or willie williams sets, they are all digi and not nearly as warm sounding as some of these others. but theres some crucial stuff there.

above all i would recommend the "hits from house of..." set because its available on criss vinyl and no telling when those might dry up...they are not likely to be around for long.

one love
jah bill
January 20, 2005 10:37AM
Im suprised no one mentioned Vivian Jones "Schooling" yet ? I had om MD for years before I got to know who was singing the song. That song is among slowest and most hypnotic reggae tunes I know. Vivian chanting out: Scho scho scho schoooling...and I say!

--: [www.guidelightmovement.com] :--
January 20, 2005 04:08PM
i played vivian's track "schooling" just yesterday on our show! nice tune.

m.

Reggaemusicstore
January 21, 2005 05:45PM
Spleece, no one else has mentioned this but as someone who's been listening to Shaka Sound for nearly 25 years I'd recommend Commandments Of Dub Chapter One as the best ever Shaka dub album, it's totally overlayed with his sound FX on every track but conveys the nearest I've ever heard on vinyl to his actual sound system style. Riddims are bad too, all live instruments. Commandments Chapter Two has 2 or 3 seriously militant killer dubs too but it wasn't amongst the batch to be recently re-pressed so you'll probably find it hard to get a copy.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login