Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

R we a few headliners away?

Posted by jjlab3 
jjlab3
R we a few headliners away?
March 26, 2004 08:25PM
The line-up is starting to fill out and I know there are still more TBA. I was wondering peoples thoguths on the line-up so far and if we are a few headliners away from a truly epic line-up or is it ok just the way it is.

Personally, I am stoked becuase two of my favorites Don Carlos and Burning Spear are already on board. I still think we are a few "big" acts short of epic line up.

I was thinking we still need a major sound system announcement for the dancehall and maybe a major Dancehall type artist for the main stage. I see other posts mentioning someone like Anthony B.

Please do not imply that I am dissing any of the artists on the bill. I am looking forward to everyone fo them.

Thoughts?
Fish
Re: R we a few headliners away?
March 26, 2004 08:46PM
"we still need a major sound system announcement for the dancehall"

You don't consider Downbeat International to be a "major sound system announcement?" Who do you want to see? I personally consider them the best sound in the US and one of the best in the world . . . IMHO, the main thing that could make the dancehall better is more artists (hopefully a deejay or two) that will perform live on Downbeat.

Stone Love aren't exacty lightweights either . . .
March 26, 2004 08:50PM
Downbeat not a major sound system, Stone Love either? I might be missing something (and not dissing you) but if these 2 aren't "major" then who is?

One love
eric v
jjlab3
March 26, 2004 08:50PM
I am not familiar with Downbeat but I am stoked to see them. I actually meant the whole dancehall thing. Like you said maybe a major DJ or two like U Roy, Carol, and Briggy last year. Soemthing like that.

No disrespect to Downbeat, Stone Love, or Jah Warrior Shelter. Although I was not that impressed with Stonelove last year. Maybe it was just the sound problems.
jjlab3
March 26, 2004 08:52PM
Sorry for the misunderstaning. I meant the some DJ's with the systems.

Beg forgiveness.
Fish
March 26, 2004 08:53PM
Should have added . . . I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a few more big reggae acts, but I think that right now there are some really strong performers . . . Burning Spear, Beres Hammond, and Alton Ellis all together is simply huge, and Don Carlos, Linval Thompson, Marcia Griffiths, Horace Andy, etc. all ought to be great as well. You're right that there isn't much in the way of more modern stuff except for Gentleman, Beres, Midnite and Dezarie, all who aren't really at the center of the current dancehall scene . . . somebody like Anthony B or Natural Black (well, not so big a name, but still a wicked artist) would be a nice addition without straying into X-rated material that probably isn't appropriate for the big stage.
Fish
March 26, 2004 09:00PM
OK, in that case I'm in agreement, I would definatlely like to see a deejay or two holding down the dancehall. Sister Carol is actually an original Downbeat performer, but since she was at the festival last year I don't know how much sense it makes to invite her again . . . Briggy also has a long history with the sound, but again, was here last year (which doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see him perform again!). I don't know how much it would cost to add somebody like Josey Wales or Charlie Chaplin to the lineup, but it might not be worth it just for the dancehall segment . . . what could work nicely is some of the historical Downbeat crew who aren't so famous, accompanied by the big-name singers who are already on the lineup. I don't know if they're still deejaying much, but bringing in Louie and Santa Ranking would be wicked . . . and veteran Downbeat artist Brimstone is in the Bay Area . . .
jjlab3
March 26, 2004 09:08PM
I would love to see someone like Charlie Chaplin or Josie Wales in the Dancehall and also even on the main stage. Wicked...

I would still like to see a current dancehall major act in the line-up on the Mian Stage one night.
March 26, 2004 09:36PM
lineup looks great - lotsa variety. one more artist: lee perry. culture.
by the way, is burning spear really playing?
March 26, 2004 09:43PM
"by the way, is burning spear really playing?"
Why wouldn't he?

I agree, the lineup as is sounds good not great for a stageshow all will be travelling 3+ hrs and staying 3 days to see. I feel the lineup is one more legendary performer away from being full up. Preferebly John Holt or another great singer who hasn't played California in a long long time.

As far as big dound system of course Downbeat fits that bill. Stone Love hasn't been great for years, other than the fact they travel further than most any other sound. Last year was Sturgav, SL & Mighty Crown correct? So there could still be another addition of a bashment sound to fill out the bill where the dance is concerned. I would love to have Ricky Trooper out here, but not very likely. My personal favorite Waggy T from Florida would be wicked also.
March 26, 2004 09:54PM
-yes i*+ alwayz a missing link when so much irie reggae will keep you wanting more & mor fyah everytime! roots seems to fine ahead but know what you mean about a serious missing space when it comes to thinking that this is the most complete festival ever. many differnt tastes when it comes to dancehall flavor. personally i* tink the bashment sound is complete with these two old systems but dj(young or old) back up for dem system'z is lacking forsure w/no doubt but nuff with dat how about some heavyweight UK style drum & bass dub sound because some wanna trod that(many more soon come)aswell. all the best wishs to your bashment ra ra. selassie is the conquirer* >forward^
March 27, 2004 05:21PM
It is curious that everyone can't believe The Spear will be burning at the fest. There was a rumor a while back that he was going to stop performing live - but that was just that - A RUMOR. He has been singin and playin constantly... have no fear, The Spear will appear!
March 27, 2004 06:39PM
also heard he start that rumer himself every year for overground promo for many yearz now. but really does not matter cause everyone knows the game of tel'e & how rumers get started. rumerz are what is the problem in many cases. bloodclot!
March 28, 2004 03:03AM
sorry - it was a joke, a jab at the posts asking that question. front row for burning spear is where i will be.
March 28, 2004 11:29AM
Stone Love is about as big as you get these days.....and maybe one or two acts away from filling the lineup in nicley
March 28, 2004 05:11PM
I think the line-up looks great as usual.Can't wait to be there.This festival kicks off an irie season.See you all there.
March 29, 2004 05:01AM
Stone Love is a washed up sound living off its name and can't hold a good selector to save its life. I really would like to have a current big Yard sound roll thru, but Downbeat will satisfy same way.
Keith_I
March 29, 2004 05:11PM
I dont know when the last time you went to a stone love dance but they can still ram the dancehall. So how many artists that rolll through california are living off their name and are washed up?? Many do.
March 29, 2004 06:37PM
Line up as it is = true lovliness = us there dancing, singing, smiling, crying with joy!
flip
March 29, 2004 07:16PM
i won't complain at all about the lineup but .........how about josey wales, charlie chaplin, B. Jerry, Carlton Livingston, U-Roy for the Dancehall.

one or two of these people would make the dancehall epic.
Pale Ryder
March 29, 2004 07:17PM
u-roy and briggy were here last year, did you catch that flip?
flip
March 29, 2004 07:39PM
yeah, i caught it. it was (imo) the best show of the weekend. I know they were here last year but so were a lot of people......I've never seen Carlton livingston, Josey Wales or Charlie Chaplin live.
Pale Ryder
March 29, 2004 07:43PM
Yeah I hear you on that. Don has been there for 3 years straight, but I cant complain about that. It would be nice to get Mad Chaplin and the other you mentioned, LLLLOOORRRRDDDD have mercy!
March 29, 2004 10:33PM
You should try to get peter metro since he seems to be around california. But Josey Wales and Charlie will probably be in england
March 30, 2004 06:06PM
I am a young one 17 years old. Is there any recomended acts at this years fest That might just change my view on something or inspire me?
any recomendations of who not to miss at this years fest? Im sure ill miss a few?
Please Let me know!
-Kev
Pale Ryder
March 30, 2004 06:25PM
Prince, don't miss Alton Ellis, Lival Thompson, Midnight, or Horace Andy, and you should stay up late and hang in the dancehall to catch some of the surprises in there, meaning Downbeat and StoneLove.....It is very hard to say, because the line up is looking great......
March 30, 2004 06:38PM
With Burning Spear,Femi Kuti,Beres Hammond,Maxi Priest,Israel Vibration, Ras Michael, Alton Ellis, and Horace Andy already on the bill, the West Coast is the only possible place where there could be serious talk of possibly adding a few more "headliners". Props to Warren and Jah staff for making it possible for fans to post artist requests for the festival and feel like there is a distinct possibility of actually seeing that band , group ,or singer, if not this year , then next.
Stevo
March 31, 2004 04:47AM
Fi Real!!!!!!!!! What a jubilation. PKdub-Israel Vibration, always one of my top selections. And the others mentioned before of course. Always try to check fi the older performers, because you may not get another chance. As for I.Vibes dem boys have polio. Every time I see em, they're looking a little more effected by their unfortunate affliction. And if Wiss can still do the splits......watch out! And I.Vibes is always backed by the Roots Radics these days. The Roots Radics are the guys credited for playing of instruments on half of your reggae cds.
Irie Ites-
Stevo
Stevo
March 31, 2004 05:05AM
I know it ain't all OG with the Radics these days, but I have a feeling the standard for replacements is pretty hard to live up to.
March 31, 2004 05:46AM
SIZZLA...SIZZLA...SIZZLA. Yessss I.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds." Bob Marley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login