Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: Real Hip Hop

Posted by papajoshua 
OT: Real Hip Hop
October 26, 2010 04:42PM
For the first time in a long time been listing to more hiphop than "new" reggae. Feeling the Black Redemption 10"s that I recently got but other than that it has been the music of my youth. Now playing...whatcha got spinning? Warning to those with soft ears, grown up material contained.

Black Milk - AOTY, went and checked this show out in SF. Hands down one of the best live shows ive seen in quite a while.

[url=

][/url]

black milk

[/url]

The Left - Gas Mask, a highly anticipated album been spinning the "leaks" for a minute here.

[url=

]
Re: OT: Real Hip Hop
October 27, 2010 08:46AM

IS OVA HERE!
October 27, 2010 10:48AM

Stones Throw Records..... quality hip hop releases in this current era of crap rap pop hop drivel.....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 27, 2010 10:55AM
October 27, 2010 01:00PM
please note that Jay Z is one of the greatest Hip Hop artists of all time and he also deals in Pop drivel...that Pop drivel is what brings home the bacon.
October 27, 2010 01:41PM
Agreed Ninja as with reggae some of the most talented in the industry are those who are the icons who last throughout the years.

Yes agreed also Higrade1 stones throw is one of my favs. The links I posted above are closely related to the ST/Dilla vein...Guilty is a ST recording artist, Black Milk and SlumV/Dilla work(ed) together etc. I enjoy the classic but really loving some newer material as of late and reggae just keeping up with my tastes. I guess it has something to do with the limited about of topics on any given reggae album or riddum. I love me some reality.

On the topic of Stones Throw...Mayer Hawthorne gets crazy love from the hiphop world because of his roots in underground hiphop. His show this month is SF is already sold out and last time he was here for an "appearance" the line wrapped around the block.

Wish it would rain

Another artist to chew on that I have posted here in the past...Invincible. Talib Kweli calls her one of the best MCs he's ever heard, male or female. She has a song on "The Left - Gas Mask" referenced above w a killer reggae sample.

sledgehammer

Actually just bought this 45!

Detroit Summer

Ropes
October 27, 2010 01:52PM
Hip Hop LIVES
October 27, 2010 02:20PM
"that Pop drivel is what brings home the bacon..."
sorry that means nothing. the fact he has made money selling his drivel to the mindless youth of america does not make him one of the greatest.... its not about the money.... that is one of the many problems with the music industry... people with money as the motivation and not enough people doing it for the love.... not saying Jay-Z doesn't love rapping, but he uses the whole money driven MTV pop drivel formula that i just can't get down with, let alone call it hip-hop........

October 27, 2010 02:24PM
I get cha Higrade1...just different tastes.

This ones for you.

you are hiphop

...especially 1:10
October 27, 2010 03:08PM
yes. many different styles for many different folks.....

AKA
October 27, 2010 03:12PM
Onra feat T3

"There were so many songs in the '90s that sampled '80s funk and modern soul," Onra says. "That's the feeling I wanted to have on my album. I had to find a way of recreating their feeling, but with a fresher touch."
October 27, 2010 08:22PM
A couple of great samples on this one, the poor people governor and of course 2 mc's killing it.

Statistics...
October 28, 2010 06:10AM
actually NO, it isn't about taste in this case. I may think A Rod sucks but he will be in the hall of fame regardless of my opinion of his "game". It is about having one of the greatest Hip Hop records of all time in Reasonable Doubt. Any MC will tell you that lyrically Jay Z is Sick. As to many of the pop tunes he makes... for example New York, that is a dope cut. Is it the end all be all? No but don't hate on someone for making pop records when they have the skill to leave you dead on the stage (lyrically of course). Talk about someone who sells Pop drivel who actually can't rhyme like 50 Cent. Leave Lil Wayne and Jay Z out of it, both of them could rhyme circles around the vast majority of so called underground MC's. If you disagree with me I am going to send Freddie Foxxx to see you.
October 28, 2010 06:44AM
Hmmm...well I do actually like the "New York" tune, but all-in-all, I yearn for the lyrics of the era you made in post #2, the thing I grew up on. Jay-Z and Lil Wayne, and many before them, have debased the thing so much I can't be bothered any more. In fact the last hip-hop CD I had on heavy rotation came from Jeru, and that was when I was buying actual CD's...
October 28, 2010 06:48AM
WICKED TUNE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2010 06:50AM by Ninja.
October 28, 2010 06:54AM
of course we yearn for real Hip Hop...I don't listen to Jay Z records for the most part or Lil Wayne. I used to dis Lil Wayne until I heard him freestyle. I can't diss people who can freestyle for 17 minutes at a time. Canibus is my all time favorite EMCEE as far as lyrics that you have get and then go back and get more and then go back and realize you need a dictionary...I'm like a Shaolin Monk on Krunk, Holdin himself up with his thumb on a stump.....Canibus....all time favorite for pure lyrical terrorism. No one else can destroy everything within a 20 square miles then way he can.
October 28, 2010 07:28AM
You guilty pleasure, with a little Timberlandlake to boot!

Go ahead and listen to it just once, nobody's looking.

Word to your mother!
October 28, 2010 08:22AM
HiGrade1
not saying Jay-Z doesn't love rapping, but he uses the whole money driven MTV pop drivel formula that i just can't get down with, let alone call it hip-hop........

I don't think you can summarize the career and entrepreneurial accomplishments of Jay-Z by saying "he uses the whole money driven MTV pop drivel formula." He clearly is a pioneer, and if anything, created a formula all of his own- not to mention one of the best rappers in history- and a businessman.

Also, you realize his big single not too far back was "Death of Autotune"- I don't think that would be following some "MTV pop drivel forumla"- thats a ballsy move- and look what it did- I think it had a big impact on many genres of "pop" music- he proved it was lame... nice work...

Should it matter his motivation? That's what too many people do with reggae artists, you have to respect them as an artist/entertainer... Whatever the motivation, its the music created that really matters, and will live on in history...

I have been thinking about gregory isaacs lately, what is his motivation for writing night nurse, or rumors? I could sit here and speculate all day- but instead of doing that, I just listen to his music and take from it what it means to me. It evokes emotion, it makes me think, it makes me happy/sad... The same analogy can be applied to Jay-Z music- instead of listening in my mind thinking "oh this bastard is filthy rich and is just selling tons of albums"- I actually listen to the art he created- and I appreciate it. I don't care why he made it, or what his motivation was...

let alone call it hip-hop? what do you call it?
October 28, 2010 10:14AM
azeem & dj zeph strait, been checking these vibes for some time:

October 28, 2010 10:27AM
i call it crappy music.
nuff said.
opinion will not change.
send freddie.

October 28, 2010 11:03AM
Freddie sees you, and the twins see you.

Freddie is a REAL EMCEE
October 28, 2010 11:26AM
Of course we all have opinions- "crappy" to me= poor in quality, garbage, sh!tty... when I think of any Jay-Z album these are the last things that come to mind- both the music (arrangement, instrumentation, production) and the lyrics are on top to me- leading the industry.

I mean, the guy took a sample of a clarinet in D.O.A. and turned that into a HUGE single- I can't really think of who else has done that or would even try to do that. This is not really characteristic of someone who is using some MTV formula- he made his own rules, and it worked.

Jay is among the masters of the genre- that is undeniable.
October 28, 2010 12:23PM
ditto.
October 28, 2010 12:28PM
"We're not ballin' or shot callin'...we take it back to the days of yes ya'll-in....we're holdin' on to what's golden..."

Peace
October 28, 2010 02:39PM
Just saw the Beat Junkies the other nite, actually it happened to be the nite the GIANTS took us to the world series. J ROCC, Rhettmatic, Babu and Shortkut rocked the place, playin all the classic hip hop hits as well as some nice reggae selections. Real Hip Hop is my other musical passion, so heres some of the freshness that iv been checkin lately.... Still kickin myself for missing that Black Milk show, love that DEEtroit sound!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2010 02:51PM by Knowledge Seeker.
October 28, 2010 02:54PM
October 28, 2010 03:02PM
@el abayarde, back in the day hip-hop heads would argue who was the best lyricist. Nowadays they argue who made the most money for the year.
Like Busta said in his LONS days: rap is business music, hip-hop is cultural music.
October 28, 2010 03:27PM
I don't listen to a lot of hip hop anymore, but these guys are Real Hip Hop..... Hopefully you already know bout Blue scholars outa Seattle.

and one of my favs.

October 29, 2010 06:29AM

PS Chimino, we still do...no one can out rhyme Canibus.....it would take a Blast Master to do this....

October 29, 2010 11:12AM
cannibus = thumbs up

October 29, 2010 11:18AM
October 29, 2010 11:40AM
"Still kickin myself for missing that Black Milk show, love that DEEtroit sound!! "

My man the live show is so good, actually i think the songs translate better live. I was looking around like damn why is it that me and my boy are the only two people I know here?...not that we know each other.

I grew up in the Detroit area and all these cats used to come and rock at the reggae parties and vise versa. I don't get why there is little crossover with the bay area audience. Seems like bay reggae heads just want to hear "club bangers rap" with the exception of the beat junkies and papalote crews.

Here is a reggae hiphop song from Detroit artists..Paradime is actually Kid Rocks dj but gets lots of love regardless of how people feel about KR.

reaper...
October 29, 2010 11:48AM
October 29, 2010 12:00PM
bay area's own..

Betta b Ready

Gutter

Unity
October 29, 2010 12:54PM
Posting some nice classics there Ninja!

Hadn't heard that Pete rock tune in a long time, one of my all-time faves....
October 29, 2010 02:44PM
http://www.aloeblacc.com/

Rakaa (of Dilated Peoples)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 02:52PM by trendski.
October 29, 2010 03:27PM
this video's dope!

October 29, 2010 03:28PM
Little Brother w/ 9th Wonder
OneBeLo (Binary Star)
Kev Brown
K-Os

a few to check...

AKA
October 29, 2010 04:01PM
What we're gonna do right here is go back. Way back. Back into time........

25 sure shots from the past. If you don't know, now you know.

from a previous thread - "There’s a cycle that happens to Black music. About 20 years after the music has been released, hipsters and DJs rediscover the music–and champion it once again, oftentimes rewriting the history that comes with it. It happened with jazz, the blues, soul, free jazz, funk, fusion, and now it’s happening again with hip-hop. Hipsters and DJs do two things–they create audiences for previous musical genres and they recontextualize the music at the same time."
-
Ok, we're ready already!!
October 30, 2010 05:38AM
in response to the "previous thread" please do not forget about the millions on us that happened to be born lucky enough to witness the birth of Hip Hop, realize it's power and never went anywhere to begin with. This is not re discovery by "hipsters" and DJ's. This is Hip Hop Music, it has been here and in the immortal words of the Blastmaster will be here FOREVER.

we could do this for days Dj Bring that beat back, bring that beat back
October 30, 2010 02:33PM
Yeah I'm likin' this thread! Nice tracks AKA! Long live real Hip-Hop!
October 31, 2010 02:14PM
"OneBeLo (Binary Star)"

Yes boss that was one of the neighborhood groups back when...back b4 i was a papa and One Be Lo was well One Be Lo and a muslim.

This is an artist that used to play with Binary Star a bit. They have a tune together but dont see it on the tube.

SUN
November 01, 2010 09:59AM
Nuff tunes to run through. I just want to keep them fresh so as I bury the Orignal Roughneck I want to keep it up to di time...

November 01, 2010 03:38PM
ok loving the classics but the point of the thread is what up with that new sh*t~!?
November 01, 2010 04:05PM
November 01, 2010 04:20PM
November 02, 2010 07:39AM

Droppin Gems like Jacob with the Feds on his arse.
November 05, 2010 12:13PM
i'm diggin' this beat...

and here's another track by Rakaa dedicated to all the writers who grew up on Hip-Hop... reminds me of my JR. High dayz when I was hitting up the RTD buses in L.A.... in search for different streak colors!

http://soundcloud.com/somekindofawesome/rakaa-mean-streak-feat-chali-2na-produced-by-el-p

Check out my sites and LIVE MUSIC videos:
[youtube.com]
[facebook.com]
[8tracks.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 12:18PM by trendski.
November 05, 2010 01:05PM
Zef Rap from South Africa.... What Is Zef?

the next level @#$%&...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 01:07PM by trendski.
November 08, 2010 12:09PM
Blessup. Long thread so I don't know if these were posted...

NW Artist RED remix of 'BMF (Baggin Marijuana Fast)'

RED - BMF (Baggin Marijuana Fast)

V.I. Artist Ras Attitude remix of 'Deuces'

Ras Attitude - Deuces

Jamaican Artist Perfect remix of 'Hard Knock Life'

Perfect - Hard Knock Life

Jamaican artist Bobo David with California Artist Big Nes and Dj Jace - 'Look What's Happening'

Bobo David ft Big Nes - Look What's Happening

If you like these types of remix...check out the Almighty InI / SSP 'Chase the Obeah Out' mixtape. Features from Sizzla, Perfect, Bobo David, Ras Iyahson, Red/X, Jah Shiloh, JahStar, Jagga Culture and Yahshuwa David.

FREE download and streaming - CHASE THE OBEAH OUT mixtape

Hip hop ain't dead, it moved to the dancehall.
November 08, 2010 07:29PM
"Hip hop ain't dead, it moved to the dancehall."

Well thanks for chiming in but i think the contributors to this thread would disagree. The point was to highlight quality new(ish) hip hop music. There are at least 20-30 tracks above that is you are interested in checkin you might get the idea.

Respect

Would like to hear some remix's of this new real sh*t here...

Newports
November 08, 2010 07:35PM
not to de-rail this thread into remix land but this one is one of my fav's because of how clean it is...

[url=

][/url]
November 08, 2010 11:45PM
It's amazing how I always feel the love when I come around this forum.(sp)
I was actually making a really out of the box reference to a slogan from the Canadian Rap Battle League called "King of The Dot". They say, "Hip Hop ain't dead, it lives in the the North". Not really surprised that it wasn't picked up on. Good look on the beat though.

@papajoshua : check out this Portland Hip Hop

MY-G ft Devin the Dude and Tony Ozier "Sumpin To Smoke To"
November 09, 2010 12:13PM
"Not really surprised that it wasn't picked up on."

Ya did ever get into it but since I used to be able to see Canada from my house (really) i actually have heard of the King of the TDot thing. Just checked it out and wow haven't heard 2 white boys calling each other wigger in jeez 20 years. So yes it did go over my head. I was just actually trying to point out that implying dancehall has in someway replaced good hiphop is a dis to all the good music people have shared here. So truly,... respect and don't be put off by my gruff tone via keyboard im actually much more unpleasant in person. Especially today, its kinda a Guilty kinda day.

Stress
November 09, 2010 01:29PM

lyrics like no other
January 11, 2011 04:05PM
[url=

][/url]
January 21, 2011 03:48PM

FUX RAP
January 21, 2011 04:12PM
Kool Keith-"Plastic World"/"Get Off My Elevator"-Funky Ass Records 12"

I posted this tune earlier in the thread. After that (about a month ago) I found the OG 12" with dubs for a fiver.
February 16, 2011 09:27AM

dillamentary

One of the industries brightest straight outa the dirtyD. Gone but growing. RIP Dilla
February 16, 2011 09:35AM

....IS OVA HERE
February 16, 2011 09:58PM
Talib n Mos Def

Zeph Azeem Luv Fyah

good thread, i didnt know about narcicyst or canubus b4 and those are two i really liked

personally most of the other ones are eloquent lyrically but the beats are just a little too dry for me, i guess i cant handle the chill funk sound
i need something that slaps(bigup papaJ for that mistah fab)
that said ima throw these in there then let you guys get back to your thing

of course

all bay @#$%&, not the most conscious lyrics but its somethhin you can gig too, yadadamean?
February 16, 2011 10:43PM
gotta give it up to Atmosphere SKILLS SKILLS SKILLS
this blew my mind the first time i heard it

Ill be bigger than jesus and bigger than wrestling, bigger than the beatles and bigger than breast implants

this whole lucy ford album is excellent

how about some asoep rock

No Regrets.......This song is the truth right here.......A dream is what you want to do but still havent pursued...

The greatest pac man victory in history...epic rap about lsd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 10:51PM by east bay herbalist.
February 17, 2011 07:52AM
Here's some REAL hip hop...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2011 07:58AM by DJ Spleece.
February 17, 2011 09:21AM
March 15, 2011 10:33PM
face668
personally most of the other ones are eloquent lyrically but the beats are just a little too dry for me, i guess i cant handle the chill funk sound
i need something that slaps(bigup papaJ for that mistah fab)
that said ima throw these in there then let you guys get back to your thing
all bay @#$%&, not the most conscious lyrics but its somethhin you can gig too, yadadamean?

Word i hear ya. If i want something to "slap" i got nuff dancehall to move me. To much hiphop is just a 808 and some formula lyrics. Came up in the underground hiphop and never have really taken too much of the mainstream. That Mistah Fab is in heavy rotation for me for obvious reasons.

The track on this is CRAZY imo. Just scooped the 45 and couldnt b more pleased.

doom
March 15, 2011 10:38PM

doomdef

Mos Def paying tribute to MFDOOM.
March 15, 2011 10:39PM

3thehardway

3 of the best cypher style.
March 15, 2011 10:49PM

Rap Snitches

Mos Def does DOOM

All Caps

Nastra DOOM us
March 15, 2011 11:32PM

RIP Nate Dogg
March 16, 2011 06:29AM

RIP Nate Dogg -- Long Beach represent.
March 28, 2011 05:31PM
[url=

[]Guitar Solo[/url]

Interview
March 28, 2011 05:32PM
alrite common now somebody turn me on to SOMETHING new, or iam i just talking to myself in here!
March 28, 2011 05:48PM
March 28, 2011 05:57PM
YO Momma says wurd.........
March 28, 2011 06:03PM
spliffp

thumbs up
April 21, 2011 11:46AM
Boom!

April 21, 2011 12:00PM

and a repost from a seperate thread:

April 21, 2011 12:07PM
this one for ninja a 'real'l oregon homeboy, lol:

April 22, 2011 07:37AM
SELL OFF!!! Big Up all Oregonians doin there thing....the funny thing is almost every word he spoke of is very true....goin to lakes....nice or ignore you.
November 02, 2011 08:53PM

Of course you know the drill...hiphop is dead.
November 02, 2011 09:41PM
November 03, 2011 08:01AM
Aesop Rock is playing tomorrow night at Sacramento State.
November 03, 2011 08:12AM
RIP MAC DRE!!!!! The man gets bigger the longer hes been dead... much talent gone tooo early..
November 03, 2011 08:16AM
This guy was in a lot of rap battles, turns out he makes pretty decent music too.

Soul Kahn
Speeding bullets

[/url]

Alec Baldwin
[url=

]
June 12, 2012 07:48PM
a really wanna be down w Danny Browns catalog but he is way to crass for me but when he connects sh#t is fire.

June 12, 2012 07:58PM

I don't know who made this beat but the super cat sample is wicked>>>>>>>>>>>>
June 12, 2012 08:01PM
1wise_Garrison

I don't know who made this beat but the super cat sample is wicked>>>>>>>>>>>>

Word 1wise thats my don there. This 1 really stands up tho...got some bredren i put this on blast for.
June 13, 2012 10:32AM
Cartoon Network is making better hip hop tunes then most of the crap you hear on the radio !!!

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 13, 2012 10:52AM
Hahahhaa I want a gorilla!
June 14, 2012 09:12AM
juanlove
Cartoon Network is making better hip hop tunes then most of the crap you hear on the radio !!!

Who the hell listens to the radio for hiphop? Pretty funny tho ... Lots of good modern current hiphop here!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login