Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WIKILEAKS & Obama's promise of Transparancy

Posted by Bob Slayton 
WIKILEAKS & Obama's promise of Transparancy
December 09, 2010 11:23PM
Why hassle Wikileaks??? Because Jullian Osange embarrassed this government, by sharing the truth??? Oh my....
Another broken promise from Obama .... for more check out www.politicfact.com or google Obama broken campaign promises ...
Re: WIKILEAKS & Obama's promise of Transparancy
December 09, 2010 11:27PM
hate to say it but......told ya so
December 09, 2010 11:50PM
cant recall one president in the history of this place that didnt break a promise...
December 10, 2010 12:05AM

politricks
December 10, 2010 12:17AM
I DO recall Obama saying he wanted the government to operate more transparently, but don't know how Wikileaks gets worked into that mix as I don't recall his ever saying that all classified documents would be released as part of that transparency.

While it is true Obama hasn't fully lived up to that promise, I don't think Assange's actions are any measure of his actions in this regard. Read for yourself what promises Obama has and has not keep regarding "transparency"...
Re: WIKILEAKS & Obama's promise of Transparency
December 10, 2010 03:17AM
When journalist have to fear for their lives & imprisonment, just for doing their jobs, is what we all must worry about... These documents that Wikileaks have released, do nothing to harm our troops or supporters lives, they just made this administration uncomfortable.
These documents pose no security risk nor do they reveal anything that is not true.. they have been made classified because they do not support this administration, nor the Bush administration's reasons for invading, and now occupying Iraq & Afghanistan for the past decade.
The Constitution, & the Bill of Rights, which hundreds of thousands have fought & died for, are what are at risk today! Truth & Justice are what at risk today! Why are our politicians afraid of the truth? The truth will set you free.... but no... those in power today are afraid of the truth... there is no transparency in this government... Freedom of the press & freedom of speech are what are at stake today, and if we don;t stand up and make some noise & let our leaders know we are not happy & that we do care about what they are doing behind closed doors in our name... we will all be the losers.. this is a slippery slope we are on, and once we start this downward slide, there will be no coming back. Daniel Ellsberg revealed papers and tapes that the Nixon administration held as classified... and why???? Because they showed him to be the criminal he was, and he was in the end made accountable for his actions... why? Because someone cared enough about the truth that he risked imprisonment, to leak those "classified" documents.
Freedom of the press is at risk today... Julian Osange is just sharing documents that were classified because they made this government uncomfortable, they hold no risk other than telling the truth, Why is it that this administration is so uncomfortable of the truth? Why has Obama stopped other nations from holding those accountable who started these wars & occupations? The UK is looking into why Blair supported Bush in these war crimes... Spain wants to hold Bush accountable.... but Obama sent others to stop them... WHY????
Change we can believe in is what Obama ran on.. but the moment he took office a change came over him... and ever since that day, he has gone back to the same old sh*t, the same way as Bush and others before him, operated... He has surrounded himself with Banksters & Bush appointees... the same ones that got us into this mess, this is who is on his staff today... WHY????
We the people deserve better, we deserve to know the truth, and those who are guilty of war crimes, or any other crimes, should be held accountable. But the rich keep getting richer, and the poor, poorer.. and we lose those rights that our forefathers fought and died for with each and every day. Wikileaks has exposed some of the lies... but not all of them... and has put no one in harm in doing so... yet this government has done everything in it's power to stop him(Julian Osange founder of WIKILEAKS).. his bank accounts are frozen, his ability to gather monetary support has been taken away, and his ability for his website to remain on line is under pressure... WHY???? Because what he exposed is making a select few, uncomfortable... oh my....
As you can tell, I am not just disillusioned by Obama, but also by this system we call democracy... When mega corporations can control those we vote into office to do their bidding, rather than what is good for the people of this country, and of the world we all must live on...
I feel ashamed and saddened, as we put off what we need to do today, on the backs of our youth... Hard decisions need to be made, but as long as this political system is broken, and the rich control our government.. when the almighty dollar is more important that doing what is right for all, then what have we become? And what do we have to be proud of?
Journalist need to be able to share the truth without fear of imprisonment. Lies need to be told, and not covered up and classified as security risks. The system is broken, and until we the people fix it, it will remain as it is... full of cover ups, lies, and half truths...
We need to change the way Elections are held, and the amount of money that it takes to run a election. Campaign Finance Reform is needed, but who will stand up and do what is right? When fear of imprisonment abounds? This is not the USSR... but you'd never know it today... and what about tomorrow? When the government takes over the Internet, and controls all you see, hear and do? 1984 is long past, and the knowledge we all need to make informed decisions is quickly becoming harder and harder to find....
(did you know that 90% of ALL tv, radio & press are owned by 7 corporations? Without the internet, the news and information we need to make informed intelligent decisions will be gone... even PBS today is controlled by corporations and their contributions)
I for one, am very grateful to Julian Osange and his courage to stand up and do what is right...and we should all be thankful for his courage and show support. Where we would be w/o Daniel Ellsberg? And all those who have stood up against the powers that be, for what is right...
Know Truth... Know Justice.. Never be afraid to speak your mind and do what is right... your children and their children will thank you... What kind of world are we leaving for future generations, when we are afraid to speak, or hear, the truth? Is not America the home of Truth & Justice for all?
Not just for a select few....
I am sorry to rant on, but with global warming, two wars and occupations already going on.. millions of dead innocent civilians, and a billion homes foreclosed on, millions and millions of families displaced and homeless, almost 10% of people in this country alone out of work, bail outs for the rich, Hurricane Katrina and the damage to New Orleans, the oil spill in the gulf, cuts to education, our support of Israel while they hold Palastinians hostage and occupy their lands... the American dream is all but a illusion...and now a government that cares more about covering up their lies, and their uncomfortableness, than about the truth being known and doing what is right....
We as Americans not only have the right to know what is being done in our name, it is our RESPONSIBILITY!
Unfortunately, we have a very short attention span when it comes to news and doing what is right.... but how can we do what is right, with all the cover ups and "classified" documents? When knowledge is power, and we the people are left in the dark... It is time to shine some light on the lies, cover ups and corruption in this world... if not now... when? And if not us, then who will?
"So get up, stand up... stand up for your rights...."
"Truth shall reveal,..."
"Imagine... "
"All we need is love..."
"We can change the world.... it's dieing... to get better."
Please remember where we came from & what we stand for... these are not just mere words from some songs..but what I still believe in...
"Power to the Peaceful"
"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..."
Do you still believe in FREEDOM? It is time for us all to stand up and fight for our rights.. use them or lose them...
I care about our children's future... and what kind of world we are leaving them
Pray for the youth, they will need your prayers... and they need you all to stand up for our rights... Truth & Justice for all..
Thanks for your time, and Thank you Julian Osange... for sharing the truth, and shedding some light in this hypocratic time...
December 10, 2010 03:56AM
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
Ron Paul
December 10, 2010 04:23AM
leave obama alone

please don't let our country be run by mama grizzly

it seems` like with campaigns being so costly all these politicians on both sides
are bought and owe their backers with their works.

i was a registered lib. but i wanted to vote in primaries
a
December 10, 2010 05:06AM
I think Obama has tried to make change, only to be fought against by Republicans, and bitched at by liberals (he never ran on a Cali-liberal agenda). I do recall him saying that change took work and time, not instant like the fast-food nation expects it. He became President of a country that is in two wars and had a crumbling economy from eight years of the Bush administration. If you feel you could have done any better, you're full of it.

Regarding wikileaks- the guy is an idiot for endangering American troops and service personel who are already serving in areas that do not like us. I think he's a punk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 05:31AM by J_72.
December 10, 2010 05:18AM
How about a little transparency from the weed growers in Humboldt and Mendo about their shady dealings, guns, and just how much tax-free money they are making.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 05:29AM by J_72.
December 10, 2010 05:37AM
ras e
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
Ron Paul

I think putting a creator god (or any religious ideology) above the law (our Constitution) is not a good thing.
December 10, 2010 05:43AM
These documents pose no security risk

Slayton,

Let me stop you there...what about the information that wikileaks "released" (and i say released, because leaking information found in stolen documents I do not categorize as "journalism" ) about what the United States (and other countries) believe are their most vulnerable targets for terrorism? In other words, they made public for all the world to see....the locations of toxic chemical sites, major communication centers, and other locales that could potentially kill many people, and devestate the environment if attacked by terrorists.

Do you not consider this a security risk? What is so noble about that, that you feel you have to defend Wikileaks honor.

Last time I checked - it only takes a few crazy SOBs to carry out a terrorist attack...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 05:46AM by treez.
December 10, 2010 05:59AM
Adam, You prefer a choice between the lesser of 2 evils?
then check out this link;... [www.southparkstudios.com]
J 72, Not one person has been put in any peril over the documents released... he has only exposed the lies our government feeds us thru the media which is owned by mega corporations who profit from from advertising... truth is not a big seller... sensationalism is...please read what has been released... he communicated with our government before releasing anything
NY Times, the UK guardian... and a few other papers have released these documents as well... do you think they would endanger our troops???
These releases only EMBARRASS our leaders because of the lies they expose... they endanger no one
And our troops should not be there to begin with... weapons of mass destruction..
. NOT... Freedom from Sadam Hossein... the world was better off w/him in power as he kept Iran in check & disliked & did not trust the Taliban.
The USA supports many terrorist world leaders, because they allow us to have their oil which is hypocritical... nothing new there...
And herb should be decriminalized, regulated, and taxed... which would help our economy & save us from this recession
Herb is the healing of the nation...
December 10, 2010 04:21PM
50/50 on this one. The Truth is what puts people in peril not the revelation of Truth. I want to live in a Nation State and one of the implications of this is that you will not be in the know about everything that goes on. I think this has to be the case in order for any Nation State to survive. I also understand that if unchecked a lot of actions that are "for the good of the State" can become crooked. He will have to live with what he is doing, but I cannot say that as an individual with no allegience to our Nation State is unethical. If he was releasing documents about the inner workings of the North Korean State that revealved they were involved in genocide would you not want this released even if it put North Korean personel in harms way? At the same time I would fully expect the North Korean State to do everything in their power to stop him. Both are obligated to act. This is the same situation here. The US is obligated to do whatever they can, within the law, to stop this man. He is in turn obligated to do whatever he can within the laws of the lands he resides to get this info out.
December 10, 2010 04:41PM
Bob, thank you for a telling it like it is post. You are right in that freedom of the press and the internet as we know it could be at stake here. Though I wouldn't rule out that Wikileaks is a disinformation campaign run by double agents and all kinds of skullduggery.

Also, who on this board
1. Believes the 'official' government story about 9/11?
2. Is an advocate for rap music?
3. Doesn't even want to discuss the Wikileaks issue without calling Assange a 'punk?'
4. Worships Janet Napolitano as a beacon of beauty?

HMM- sounds like a double agent to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 04:45PM by papaken.
December 10, 2010 05:05PM
people can write more or less words about this

more is wasting time though, because Daniel capped it:

the issue is transparency vs more transparency

obama administration has improved transparency

anyone who thought a behemoth like the us federal gov't would become transparent, in on administration or EVER is foolish, silly, and does not understand governance

check what city you live in and see if you get total transparency there... or your school district

not knocking them... it's how it works. democratic governing is slow by nature but would stop utterly if everybody had to know everything all the time, especially when people who don't know what the @#$%& they're talking about want to involve themselves... that's awesome stuff, and it happens all the time...

there's not going to be total transparency.

we elect leaders to do the best they can. we are flawed, they are flawed. it will continue that way.

this is just a reason (red herring imo) to blubber about whether obama has been perfect or not. he's not.

--
December 10, 2010 05:55PM
If it wasn't for "rap music" most of the youth would have bought the full story years ago.

PS what is the "official" story on 9/11. I haven't heard this yet.
December 10, 2010 09:08PM
bob wrote"Adam, You prefer a choice between the lesser of 2 evils? "

i guess until we can break out of a 2 party mold it comes down to that.
i don't consider obama evil as i did some bush & cabinet behavior
but i must say i am disappointed when i hear he goes for things
like pows w/ no red cross visits allowed
continuing patriot act stuff etc etc..
so many of these things are same as last admin
not sure who america would vote for in a 3rd party...oprah?
December 11, 2010 05:13AM
The world is already pissed at us because of these bullshit wars, so I don't know why wikileaks had to aggrivate the situation even more. Diplomacy and military strategy soemtimes involves a high-level of secrecy, it's the way world politics works, and has worked since before Egypt.
December 13, 2010 03:47PM
So Nice wrote " democratic governing is slow by nature but would stop utterly if everybody had to know everything all the time"

Democratic governing is also two wolves and a sheep wondering what's for dinner.
December 13, 2010 03:59PM
The Immortal words of our forefather Benji Franklin being invoked. What is funny is that the forefathers of this Nation were a lot more Revolutionary then anyone wishes to give them credit for.

Question to one and all...If you are the President on 9/11 what do you do in response to this happening?
December 13, 2010 04:36PM
i think most hijackers were Saudi, but you didn't see the US invade our oil teet.
a
December 14, 2010 12:44AM
I think you guys on this phorum just LOVE to argue with your time...opinions are all they are...leave them alone
December 14, 2010 01:15AM
I am pretty sure the purpose of a public forum is to, well state opinions and discuss topics. Of course we didn't invade Saudi Arabia it would have been the end of the world as we know it. It is the same reason we don't try the Federal Gov. for Tim McVeigh. So I ask again, now that you have stated the nationality of the so called hi jackers what would you have done?
December 14, 2010 01:34AM
You're right! I am wrong! A public forum is to, well state opinions and discuss topics. End of argument...haha
December 14, 2010 01:49AM
i don't think you invade a country because of the actions of a few of it's citizens. obviously terrorist are a difficult
enemy to fight. i don't have a magic answer, but invading iraq, in my opinion, had no resolve from 9/11 except maybe
temporarily whipping up some patriotism and feeding people's thirst for revenge, but as i tried to say it was the wrong people.
a
December 14, 2010 05:30AM
Food for thought... while this government & our representatives continually approve BILLIONS of dollars to fund these military actions, the result of 9/11... our country's first responders have been disrespected once more..
Read this
This is a story worth reading in the New York Times... it seems our first responders have been given the shaft, while our second & third responders continue to receive the funding it takes to maintain 2 illegal invasions of foreign countries... meanwhile the country is slipping into recession
Please help us bail out the Billionaires who really could use a couple extra bucks right about now... you know with the holidays quickly approaching... call your representatives & Congress & let them know how you feel...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 01:40AM by Bob Slayton.
December 15, 2010 12:51AM
Again, Mr Slayton, you speak the truth. Apparently some on this board like to tiptoe through the tulips while proclaiming there is no reason to search for the truth.
December 15, 2010 01:02AM
papaken
Again, Mr Slayton, you speak the truth. Apparently some on this board like to tiptoe through the tulips while proclaiming there is no reason to search for the truth.

Yep, that must be it...tiptoing through the tulips...absolutely....
December 15, 2010 03:41AM
Why I'm Posting Bail Money for Julian Assange (A statement from Michael Moore)

Tuesday, December 14th, 2010

Friends,

Yesterday, in the Westminster Magistrates Court in London, the lawyers for WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange presented to the judge a document from me stating that I have put up $20,000 of my own money to help bail Mr. Assange out of jail.

Furthermore, I am publicly offering the assistance of my website, my servers, my domain names and anything else I can do to keep WikiLeaks alive and thriving as it continues its work to expose the crimes that were concocted in secret and carried out in our name and with our tax dollars.

We were taken to war in Iraq on a lie. Hundreds of thousands are now dead. Just imagine if the men who planned this war crime back in 2002 had had a WikiLeaks to deal with. They might not have been able to pull it off. The only reason they thought they could get away with it was because they had a guaranteed cloak of secrecy. That guarantee has now been ripped from them, and I hope they are never able to operate in secret again.

So why is WikiLeaks, after performing such an important public service, under such vicious attack? Because they have outed and embarrassed those who have covered up the truth. The assault on them has been over the top:

**Sen. Joe Lieberman says WikiLeaks "has violated the Espionage Act."

**The New Yorker's George Packer calls Assange "super-secretive, thin-skinned, [and] megalomaniacal."

**Sarah Palin claims he's "an anti-American operative with blood on his hands" whom we should pursue "with the same urgency we pursue al Qaeda and Taliban leaders."

**Democrat Bob Beckel (Walter Mondale's 1984 campaign manager) said about Assange on Fox: "A dead man can't leak stuff ... there's only one way to do it: illegally shoot the son of a bitch."

**Republican Mary Matalin says "he's a psychopath, a sociopath ... He's a terrorist."

**Rep. Peter A. King calls WikiLeaks a "terrorist organization."

And indeed they are! They exist to terrorize the liars and warmongers who have brought ruin to our nation and to others. Perhaps the next war won't be so easy because the tables have been turned -- and now it's Big Brother who's being watched ... by us!

WikiLeaks deserves our thanks for shining a huge spotlight on all this. But some in the corporate-owned press have dismissed the importance of WikiLeaks ("they've released little that's new!"winking smiley or have painted them as simple anarchists ("WikiLeaks just releases everything without any editorial control!"winking smiley. WikiLeaks exists, in part, because the mainstream media has failed to live up to its responsibility. The corporate owners have decimated newsrooms, making it impossible for good journalists to do their job. There's no time or money anymore for investigative journalism. Simply put, investors don't want those stories exposed. They like their secrets kept ... as secrets.

I ask you to imagine how much different our world would be if WikiLeaks had existed 10 years ago. Take a look at this photo. That's Mr. Bush about to be handed a "secret" document on August 6th, 2001. Its heading read: "Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US." And on those pages it said the FBI had discovered "patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings." Mr. Bush decided to ignore it and went fishing for the next four weeks.

But if that document had been leaked, how would you or I have reacted? What would Congress or the FAA have done? Was there not a greater chance that someone, somewhere would have done something if all of us knew about bin Laden's impending attack using hijacked planes?

But back then only a few people had access to that document. Because the secret was kept, a flight school instructor in San Diego who noticed that two Saudi students took no interest in takeoffs or landings, did nothing. Had he read about the bin Laden threat in the paper, might he have called the FBI? (Please read this essay by former FBI Agent Coleen Rowley, Time's 2002 co-Person of the Year, about her belief that had WikiLeaks been around in 2001, 9/11 might have been prevented.)

Or what if the public in 2003 had been able to read "secret" memos from Dick Cheney as he pressured the CIA to give him the "facts" he wanted in order to build his false case for war? If a WikiLeaks had revealed at that time that there were, in fact, no weapons of mass destruction, do you think that the war would have been launched -- or rather, wouldn't there have been calls for Cheney's arrest?

Openness, transparency -- these are among the few weapons the citizenry has to protect itself from the powerful and the corrupt. What if within days of August 4th, 1964 -- after the Pentagon had made up the lie that our ship was attacked by the North Vietnamese in the Gulf of Tonkin -- there had been a WikiLeaks to tell the American people that the whole thing was made up? I guess 58,000 of our soldiers (and 2 million Vietnamese) might be alive today.

Instead, secrets killed them.

For those of you who think it's wrong to support Julian Assange because of the sexual assault allegations he's being held for, all I ask is that you not be naive about how the government works when it decides to go after its prey. Please -- never, ever believe the "official story." And regardless of Assange's guilt or innocence (see the strange nature of the allegations here), this man has the right to have bail posted and to defend himself. I have joined with filmmakers Ken Loach and John Pilger and writer Jemima Khan in putting up the bail money -- and we hope the judge will accept this and grant his release today.

Might WikiLeaks cause some unintended harm to diplomatic negotiations and U.S. interests around the world? Perhaps. But that's the price you pay when you and your government take us into a war based on a lie. Your punishment for misbehaving is that someone has to turn on all the lights in the room so that we can see what you're up to. You simply can't be trusted. So every cable, every email you write is now fair game. Sorry, but you brought this upon yourself. No one can hide from the truth now. No one can plot the next Big Lie if they know that they might be exposed.

And that is the best thing that WikiLeaks has done. WikiLeaks, God bless them, will save lives as a result of their actions. And any of you who join me in supporting them are committing a true act of patriotism. Period.

I stand today in absentia with Julian Assange in London and I ask the judge to grant him his release. I am willing to guarantee his return to court with the bail money I have wired to said court. I will not allow this injustice to continue unchallenged.

Yours,
Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com
MichaelMoore.com

P.S. You can read the statement I filed today in the London court here.

P.P.S. If you're reading this in London, please go support Julian Assange and WikiLeaks at a demonstration at 1 PM today, Tuesday the 14th, in front of the Westminster court.
December 15, 2010 04:42AM
Here's an informative video about Wikileaks entitled WikiRebels: the Documentary

[svtplay.se]
December 15, 2010 08:11PM
Hey, for you cats that believed this promise or that, that's really on YOU, not Obama - are you seriously going to believe a politician? And during an election campaign? Really?

As for this Wikileaks business, you all know damn well that if the threats of incarcelation (or even death as i hear some have asked for) were coming from Venezuela, or Cuba, or (insert "enemy" of amerika here), we would be hearing about how there is no freedom of the press in these places - and i bet that none of you Obama defenders would step in to say boo about "top secret" and "putting people in danger". That's the sh*t that i can't stand - the blatent hipocrisy.

Like how many of you here (and all through the u.s.) talk about terrorism without speaking FIRST AND FOREMOST to (y)our OWN government, the biggest terrorists in the world. The base budget in 2010 for the u.s. Department of War is $533 billion. Add in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, military satellites, veterans' pensions, "homeland security", FBI, CIA, etc. and we are talking about more than $1 trillion. JUST IN ONE YEAR. And let's not even talk about the fact that we are the world's largest arms supplier - there isn't even anyone close. Funny how there is a Department of Defense AND a Department of Homeland Security, huh? But we are a nation of peace so many say. Because it is just fine when "other people" are the ones dying, when the bombs fall in other lands and not on the precious gringos.

Please don't expose any of that...someone might hate us.
December 15, 2010 08:15PM
I actually do talk about our government and its bullshit war in Iraq SJB, so back away from your generalizations and assumptions. I have students that are concerned about their fathers and mothers in other parts of the world, who might be endangered from the information being leaked- their lives are already in danger, and this adds to the problem. But @#$%& 'em, right? They're just children of those terrorist soldiers of the US military.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 08:17PM by J_72.
December 15, 2010 08:37PM
Yes, J, you have occasionally grumbled about a certain war, one which you mention by name - Iraq. And yet i bet you pay for it same way. Maybe you can vote it away, though. Even then, if you want to talk about your opinions specifially, you don't seem to grasp the widespread nature of the problem - like the military bases in more than 100 countries around the world. The troops in more than 170. You know, systemic type sh*t. Maybe you do get it though - prove me wrong - i've eaten crow before and i'll probably eat it again (maybe sooner than later, eh?).

And i don't care about those kids in your class because...because why?

My brother is in the military of the u.s., but that is his choice, same as it is for the parents of those kids. i care about my brother, but he is involved in some dangerous business. For example, if there was an info leak that, say, exposed certain gangbangers to "more danger" (i.e. incarcelation, injury, death), would you feel the same way? Would you be angry at the LAPD or whoever leaked the info because you have some gangbangers' kids in your class? Both situations have sad results, but i just don't think those exposing how we do business deserve the scorn that you heap on them - but you have the right to do so of course. However, please don't blame me for those parents' choices proff - or those who may try to take them out for making war in a foreign land. If you want to blame somone, blame your government. And stop supporting them crackheads in d.c.!
December 15, 2010 09:13PM
SJB you can stop making assumptions about me based on the few things I post here on this forum, okay?

Peace
December 15, 2010 09:36PM
Since we don't have lunch regularly J, i'm afraid that's all i really have to go on man - i'm sure you are much more complex than i know at all (as everyone here surely is), but why are you going to post comments and then get mad when people comment on them? You sure seem fine commenting on what other folks say though, so WTF? Am i making an assumption again? And word choice is key here too - see the word "seem"; see the word "bet". These are opportunities for you to clarify where you stand, but instead you tell me to just shutup.

And i made an assumption above based on your words HERE (since i don't live in your head) and specifically asked you to tell me if i was wrong - what else can i do? If you make 20 comments about Humboldt growers and 1 about u.s. imperialism, why would i not think that the one is more on your mind than the other? How about this - i will just generically refer to "some people" any time i have a comment about anything - will that satisfy you? i prefer to mention folks by name and pair them with their comments that i see here, but that apparently ruffles some feathers - i will try really hard not to do it when it concerns anything that you may have an opinion on in the future though. Seriously.

Feel free to comment on the subject(s) at hand though and stop getting all pissed off at me - i'm really not worth it.
December 18, 2010 09:54PM
I Am Julian Assange

Written by James Moore

I am Julian Assange.

I want information so that I can hold my government accountable. If my country acts improperly and in my name, I want the proof. I want to know if there actually is no evidence proving weapons of mass destruction. I want to know if America is working with Israel to overthrow Iran's leadership. I want data that has not been spun by reporters that work for publishers and broadcasters with political and business goals that conflict with the facts. I want to know.

I am Julian Assange because I know unfettered information is valuable to democracy and a peaceful world. I can make the best decisions with the most knowledge. I can vote for the best candidates. I can support the smartest policies to help my country and the world. I am not naïve; I know that not every operation can be transparent but I have a right to know its outcome and how it has affected my country and me.

I do not believe Julian Assange has done anything wrong. The cables that have been published have all been printed in newspapers and redacted to protect individuals at risk. I do not want my country to prosecute a man whose actions are changing the way we get information and how we make critical decisions. I now know that my president and my country's military have not been honest about the war in Afghanistan. I know that my country has killed civilians and that we have refused to acknowledge our mistakes. I have learned that our allies are secretly consorting with our enemies.

I am also Pfc. Bradley Manning. I know that if I saw the disturbing information come across my desk that I would have confronted the conflict between my oath of service to my country and the immorality of its behavior. I do not believe I would have been able to ignore American helicopters gunning down journalists carrying cameras. I believe I would have acted on my conscience and found a way to reveal the facts. There was a reporter at the My Lai massacre in Vietnam but there was only a gun camera on the US helicopter in Iraq. And the Internet. And Bradley Manning.

I believe that governments are out of control and citizens have a decreasing belief that they can influence decisions. WikiLeaks and the Internet are empowering individuals and groups with information. Julian Assange and Bradley Manning are the first two faces and voices in a crowd that will soon be too big to control. Their arrests and charges and even prosecution will only spawn a broader resistance against war and deception and corruption. The Internet is now the reporter. This is the way the world is. I do not want to hear that there will always be wars and spying and death. I want information to prevent them and to build peace.

I am saddened that Australia's government is once more acting as a lapdog for American interests and is not demanding sovereign rights for one of its citizens. I am also distressed that the president of my country who ran for office promising a transparent government is trying to find a way to prosecute a foreign national, and is preventing Pfc Manning from speaking with his family. WikiLeaks has shown there is an America in civics textbooks and an America that functions differently in the real world. Adequate information might move us closer to the ideal. I no longer trust my president. I do not trust my congress. I place my trust in facts and I do not get them from most of the media. But I still want to know.

I am Julian Assange. And if you care about the truth, you are, too.
December 19, 2010 01:40AM
PFC Bradley Manning has spent the last 9 months in solitary confinement w/o ability to see family, exercise & has now been placed on anti-depressants. For doing what he believed was what needed to be done. For sharing information that for years has been classified, that our government would not share because the information would reveal the lies that were exposed that lead us into these wars of MASS DECEPTION. From which millions of Innocent civilians have died as a result of. Not to mention the thousands of US troops as well. Please take the time to pray for PFC Manning, the families of all the innocent civilians who have died, and for the families of our troops who are in danger each and every day. Please pray for a end to these wars and invasions that were never necessary and were only done because of the lack of transparency in our government. This is only the tip of the mitt when it comes to the cover ups and lies that our government perpetuates daily in our country's name. But they are not doing this in MY name! Not today, not ever!
I strongly urge everyone who is interested in knowing the truth when it comes to news, to check out Free Speech TV w/"Democracy Now" w/Amy Goodman, Thom Hartman, "Grit TV" w/Laura Flanders.. also, check out and sign up for a daily e-mail from Truthout.org, read "The Nation"... and any find the other places on line that dare to speak truth against all the lies that this administration and every administration over the past 30+ years have been spreading thru our media.. Even PBS is now sponsored by some of the corporations that control the rest of the networks, radio & press.
What is the cost of freedom? And how far would you go to do what you know needs to be done? What is the cost of stopping these illegal wars and occupations?
These wars and occupations are only the tip of the iceberg, when it comes to cover ups and lies told by our government... more and more are told daily... open your eyes to find the truth... and make some noise.
We can change the World... we have already... look around... do you like the change you see? If not, then do something about it... expose the lies... truth shall reveal... if you demand it... only you can make this happen
The truth is out there, but it is up to each of us to find out what is truth and what is lies. There are many excellent investigative reporters that are not on the networks..."We the People" deserve the truth... and it is our responsibility to find out and expose the lies that are being spread as truth by our government.
Buy one less present this year and donate some $ toward any of these fine excellent sources that speak truth against the lies... "Find the Cost of Freedom"
December 23, 2010 08:11PM
Laura Flanders, GRITtv interview w/Michael Whitney:re; Bradley Manning's Detention (Video)
It amazes me that PFC Manning is treated this way... not convicted of anything... Here is a address if anyone would like to send him a belated birthday card or Christmas card, or letter of support:
Bradley Manning
c/o Courage to Resist
484 Lake Park Ave #41
Oakland CA 94610
USA

link to website of support of PFC Manning
211 days in prison where he finally received a bed, pillow & blanket yesterday,,, The USA treats terrorists better than this & he has not even been convicted of any crime...
Happy Holidays all...
December 23, 2010 08:37PM
Maximum RASpect to you Bob for speaking out on issues of great importance in these times.

Unfortunately, when one signs up to join the military, one leaves many of their "rights" at the barrack door. One of them is the right to be tried before a jury of their peers. A next one is the right to a speedy trial. So, nearly 6 months ago, Manning was charged with 4 counts of violating Article 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice for disobeying an order or regulation and eight counts of violating Article 134, a general charge for misconduct, which in this case involved breaking federal laws against disclosing classified information, and he now sits in a brig while undergoing 'competency evaluations' and while the Article 32 investigation (the military's equivalent of a grand jury) against him continues.

And, while I applaud PFC Manning for disclosing the video (that clearly constitutes a 'war crime' in my book), it must be remembered that he also is alleged to have disclosed about 150,000 classified documents virtually NONE of which are evidence of 'crimes'. Personally, I want my government to operate much more openly (transparently), but I don't think the decision as to what should or should not be 'classified' should be left to a PFC.
December 23, 2010 09:12PM
well, I personally give this PFC credit and props for pushing the envelope on government transparency, as apparently Obama and crew forgot about his campaign promises... someOne gotta start da fyah!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
December 23, 2010 09:23PM
I'm not sure how you can equate this with Obama's "promise of transparency".

Obama promised to "End no-bid contracts above $25,000", but that hasn't happened (yet)

Obama promised to "Allow five days of public comment before signing bills", but that hasn't happened (yet)

Obama promised to "Negotiate health care reform in public sessions televised on C-SPAN", but that didn't happen

Obama promised to "Provide an annual report on "state of our energy future", but that hasn't happened (yet)

These are promises he made and has yet to keep. If you want to bash him for that, I'm with you but if you're going to talk about broken "campaign promises" at least go with something he actually promised.....

And, for the record, the video 'incident' he released (of the U.S. military killing of Reuters employees) happened on GW's watch.....
December 23, 2010 10:22PM
Why does a PFC have to be the one to expose these "TRUTHS"? When VP Joe Biden says there was no harm done by releasing them... It seems with the promise of "Transparency" that these documents should've been released a long time ago... and those responsible for the crimes were held accountable... even now Bush Sr & James Baker helped Cheney & Halliburton by bribing Nigeria w/$250 Million to drop charges against them ...Read Story of how Bush & Baker lobbied for Cheney in Nigeria
It is sad that a PFC is the one who saw the wrong, and attempted to make it right... and not those in power who ran on a ticket of more "Transparency" in our government....
When governments lie... people die!
Much Respect to all & Happy Holidays

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 10:24PM by Bob Slayton.
January 05, 2011 02:34AM
January 06, 2011 01:06AM
PFC Bradley Manning still sits in solitary confinement while awaiting trial... he has been charged, but with no convictions.. isn;t keeping him in solitary confinement a form of torture? Especially when it took almost 6 months to get him a pillow & sheets...
I thought this was how we treated convicted criminals..
Meanwhile Julian Osange signs a deal to write his memoirs for $1.5 million... while out on bond...
Where is the JUSTICE in this country?
Where is the Transparancy?
When governments lie, people die... daily.
January 19, 2011 10:51PM
as for some positive news re; Wikileaks and some of the leaked documents...
Tunisia's Democratic Revolution
Tunisia's Revolution Inspires Middle East
January 28, 2011 11:03PM
and yet more... after Tunisia came protests in Egypt & now Yemen... all because someone leaked documents exposing the corruption of their world leaders... here is the article
Yemen Protests
Tunisa Protests Inspire Mideast
Tunisa's Democratic Revolution
January 29, 2011 01:35AM
Looks like Jordan is the next Country which WIKILEAKS has sparked revolution in....people learn the truth about what a corrupt bunch of government officials they have leading their country and decide that this is totally unacceptable and are revolting.... if only the USA had citizens who would hold their leaders accountable... or maybe a president who would hold former presidents accountable....
Lengths Obama and his administration will go to cover up the truth...
Actually, it looks like Obama and his administration, has already thought about the troubles involved with WIKILEAKS and the US citizens learning the truth... transparency in government seems not to be what Obama told us all about while campaigning...Obama's internet kill switch plan approved by Senate panel
Heaven forbid US citizens learn the truth & decide to hold their own revolution... we don't need any foreign terrorist... there are enough US citizens who are pissed off at our own government for the lies being told and for all the corruption...
Also, here is another story about Obama and his plan to prosecute WIKILEAKS...FBI's attempts to prosecute WIKILEAKS supporters
So much for truth & transparency in our government...
Meanwhile, PFC Manning is still sitting in solitary confinement seven months later without having been convicted with ANY crimes...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 02:47AM by Bob Slayton.
April 06, 2011 07:01PM
Hey check this.. Obama was presented a award for transparency in office.... ironic as the award was presented in a private/closed door meeting
Obama Presented Award for Transparency
April 06, 2011 07:03PM
For those of you who might still have interest in PFC Bradley Manning and his treatment by our government, here are a couple more articles: Bradley Manning Treatment Reveals Continued Government Complicity in Torture
USA treatment of PFC Bradley Manning

What is the cost of FREEDOM? And who pays?
Bradley Manning still sits in military prison awaiting trial for his alleged part in the release of documents, documents that have inspired millions across the Mideast to aspire to freedom and democracy, to demand truth and justice for one and all... and to put a end to their corrupt government and the officials that have run their countries for far to long.... governments and officials that this country (the USA) helped put into place, in many instances, many years ago to ensure that we got the oil we needed to run our industrial military complex for so many years...
But again I ask, what is the cost of freedom?
And where is the justice in this country? Why does Bradley Manning still sit awaiting trial? What does the Obama administration fear from the release of these documents? What is the USA doing behind closed doors? What don't they want the world to know? What a corrupt government this country has? At what lengths our government will go to get what it wants? Or who really pulls the strings behind closed doors in the USA?
Almost all of the documents leaked are from the Bush administration and their backdoor dealings... Why is Obama so set on making those who have exposed these documents look like criminals, and not prosecute those who actually wrote them??? Why is this government so afraid of the truth? Does not the USA support democracy? truth? freedom?
PFC Bradley Manning is being tortured daily.. with the ok of Barack Obama... even when told that he is not suicidal and is not a threat to himself. Please read the article... here is a quote ...

After State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley criticized Manning's conditions of confinement, the White House forced him to resign. Crowley had said the restrictions were "ridiculous, counterproductive and stupid." It appears that Washington is more intent on sending a message to would-be whistle blowers than on upholding the laws that prohibit torture and abuse.

When speaking the truth in America can send you to jail, then we must all question this government, and all that it supposedly stands for. Secure in the knowledge that truth shall reveal and that change will come... We must stand with those all over the middle east who have made the choice to stand up against the corruption in their countries, demanding truth, justice and equal rights for all. kinda has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Truth, Justice & Equal Rights for ALL... Doesn't that make you proud to be a American?

Once upon a time there was a country, and in that country lived a people, and once upon a time they had a dream...
April 06, 2011 08:23PM
"We must stand with those all over the middle east who have made the choice to stand up against the corruption in their countries, demanding truth, justice and equal rights for all. kinda has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Truth, Justice & Equal Rights for ALL"

Is this what the men of Yemen are after? Is this what the rebel forces who fight the Libyan tyrant are seeking? Who is it with their head in the sand now? I have no doubt that "self determination" has a lot to do with the uprisings we see across the mideast but "Equal rights for all" certainly is not part of the plan and to suggest that it is I find not only dangerous but intentionally misleading

"And where is the justice in this country? Why does Bradley Manning still sit awaiting trial?"

Because he was in the military and he broke the law as on the books at the time of his service. This is the military, not a book club or a democracy. If it was either of those things soldiers would die on a daily basis. If he was in the Yemeni military he would have had his head cut off. He is lucky he is an American

"What is the cost of FREEDOM? And who pays?"

Finally a question worthy of asking....The cost of Freedom is living under the rule of law. Without law you do not have "freedom" you have chaos. You think people are capable of taking care of themselves and making good decisions? A person is fully capable, People are not. This county and any Nation State has to be willing to kill it's enemies and follow the interests of our people to the ends of the earth. This is why you have a military and intelligence agencies.

"Bradley Manning still sits in military prison awaiting trial for his alleged part in the release of documents, documents that have inspired millions across the Mideast to aspire to freedom and democracy"

This is pure hogwash. What has inspired millions to stand up is the fact that they have been treated like shi+ for the past (you name it) and they have had enough. The guy in Tunisia who set himself on fire and threw himself off the building was the first domino not this dude.

In the end I am no lover of the Federal Government. Quite frankly if people knew evern a third of what the Nation States of the world were up to they would feel like they just took a mud bath. At the same time I am not willing to take all of the benefits of this particular Nation State and only speak of it poorly. Does the Government lie? Of course. Do they kill people? Of course. Is there a Nation State on this earth or has their ever been one that was not corrupt? If you think so I got some land to sell you.
April 07, 2011 02:11AM
Thank you Bob Slayton for posting this info and asking all the right questions.
Thank you SJB for telling like it is.
Thank you Zoki for posting the "I am Julian Assange" article.

And Thank You Bradley Manning and Julian Assange for following your conscience, even at personal risk, in order to try to help heal a sick world. Bradley Manning's treatment is atrocious, but I agree with others that it shouldn't be surprising since he broke military law.

Frankly I'm surprised so many on this board are willing to tow the line. I mean, we're all reggae fans, aren't we supposed to be united in "fighting the system"? Why do we listen to reggae? Do we believe in the system? I know I don't. Do I have the answers for a better system? Of course not, but I have some ideas, and if we all could come together and unite behind folks like Bradley Manning instead of vilifying him for damaging The Empire then we might start to make some progress in getting the changes we all want and need.

Sorry for the rant, but I get tired of people not thinking outside The Box that is U.S. political discourse. I know this issue is more complicated than it appears, but we need to stop defending these white collar criminals. I agree with Jesse Ventura on RT yesterday, in that we should stop voting for Republicans AND Democrats!
April 07, 2011 03:35PM
I have been around the world and I am telling you that as bad as the US Government is, others are even worse.

I will say, Thank You to Bob Slayton for posting this here. Discourse is always a good thing
April 09, 2011 05:30AM
American soldier
among our poorest wage slaves
without much choice
Tyranny of the cheap set the law
Against sufferah's sounds from the heart

USA Empire of Continuous War
Zinn tells that story
All over our cars, our tv's, our google, and cellphones
sweet daze of soft machines
warm hot tub of foggy release
finally sublime suffering
the beat of today

Rejoice
Spread the wikileaks
STOP torture of Bradley Manning
I AM A MAN
Support the Memphis Sanitation Workers
and those before and after

Women General Strike
N O W
@#$%& the pigs takin' other people's body
See the hate of rape
Speak, Shout, YELL
NO MORE NO MORE
April 26, 2011 10:35PM
For those interested, PFC Bradley Manning has been moved to Leavenworth Prison while awaiting trial... no more 23 hours a day in solitary..
BFC Bradley Manning moved to Leavenworth
Also, here is another story Act of conscience ? or Traitor ?
Thanks for all the comments....
Respect
April 28, 2011 01:40AM
And how about this... why are we in so much dept? OR, where did all the money GO? Check this....Banks borrow our tax $ then lend them back to fed w/interst!Sen Bernie Sanders says investigate the fed
April 28, 2011 02:50PM
Wikileaks reports that the US State department is funding part of the unrest in Syria. This information will certainly be used as a license to slaughter anyone who speaks out against the thugish Syrian State. This also lends creedence (sp) to the Iranian claims that the revolutions sweeping across the Middle East are no more then "western" agitators and common criminals. Good thing this info got out, I don't know where we would have been had we not known that (sarcasm).

My point is not to suggest whistle blowers shouldn't be protected, they should. Not in the military though unless a law is being broken. The military doesn't work like that. If Brad Manning had an issue with that he should have left the military, but you can't allow people in your military to do what he has done. This is a seperate issue then if what he did as a man was the right thing to do.
April 30, 2011 04:25AM
"This is a seperate issue then if what he did as a man was the right thing to do."

To me, that is the real issue here. If every man did what he thought was the right thing to do, the world would be a better place. And of course people's ideas of "right" may differ, but I think that is because so many mens' hearts and minds have been corrupted. If every man truly looked into his soul, they would know the "right" thing to do.

As you can tell, I'm a bit of an idealist (Aquarius!). But hey, where would the world be without idealists and dreamers? smiling smiley

Bless
May 25, 2011 11:18PM
Over 2,600 Protesters have been jailed since Obama took office

Potatoe, Potato... Tomatoe Tomato... Obama.. Bush... "change we can believe in" Yes we can"
May 25, 2011 11:50PM
Thanks Bob. I read Huffington Post too but can you answer one simple question for me:

Exactly what does the President of the United States have to do with the Police in Vermont arresting people for blocking the entrance to a nuclear reactor?

That's the first example in the article which, from my perspective could have just as easily been called "Over 2,600 protestors have been jailed since Tom Spitzer spoke at the Mobey Forum"..........
May 26, 2011 08:58PM
Daniel, this story is not negative toward Obama..rather it shows how far we have come from the Bush era when you would never hear about such things... This story enhances Obama's promise of more Transparency.... Altho, it does show that with campaign promises of "change we can believe in" that things have pretty much remained the same here in the good old USA... We are still in a endless War on Terror, we still have soldiers in Iraq & Afghanistan, we still have prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, There is still eavesdropping on American citizens, the Patriot Act has been renewed, and yes, even protesters are still being thrown in jail for voicing their opinions...lucky for them they do not live in Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, Lybia, Bahrain, or any of the other countries in the middle east that the USA supports, where we would never have heard they were even arrested.
Where I do see change is in Tunisa, where people read the documents leaked by Wikileaks, which revealed what a corrupt government they had in place and the people revolted... that is Change...The people were tired of being oppressed and revolted... we shall see how much more change occurs in the Middle East... where the USA supports most of the governments where people want change...
On another note, did anyone watch the PBS documentary last night, "Wikisecrets"? It was a little lame, but this review explains why...
Wikisecrets Op Ed
There are links on this page to the full unedited interview.
And lastly, another whistleblower arrested here in the USA... from the NSA this time... he'll be going to trial soon, unlike PFC Bradley Manning... check this link out CBS News on NSA Senior Executive Thomas Drake arrested for Espionage .... "Change we can believe in".... "YES WE CAN"
May 26, 2011 09:36PM
Yeah, i thought that Frontline piece was a little lame too Bob. Nice try at spinning, but calling the article "Since Obama took office" is CLEARY a jab at him imo. There may be a handful of arrests that the federal government (which he is executor of) was involved, but the vast majority of those listed have absolutely NOTHING to do with Obama.

Do you know how many people were arrested under the Bush administration during the first 2 years? The answer to that will reveal whether anything has "changed" though I have no recollection of Obama mentioning NOT arresting protesters to be a part of the "change we can believe in."

I too am disappointed that more things haven't changed (Guantanamo, warrantless searches, PFC Manning), but I supported Obama not because I expected he would change everything overnight, but rather because I believed he would do what he could to improve the situation.
May 26, 2011 10:56PM
2004 article re; people arrested while Bush president
Over 1,800 protesters arrested at 2004 Republican National Convention alone.... and this was in just a few days..
Bush wins, he has more... but if Bush wins, who looses?
I am sure we all had high hopes for Barack Obama, but truth shall reveal... Would McCain have been a better choice? or Sarah Palin? I seriously doubt it.... but these were the choices we had, if you didn;t choose a third party candidate.
The system is broken, when we have to decide between the lesser of 2 evils election after election!
I think I posted this before, but it still works..

Southpark Douche vs Turd
June 07, 2011 06:15PM
Update on PFC Bradley Manning
For those who might be interested
Respect
June 09, 2011 05:29PM
Update on Thomas Drake & his case re; the leak of classified documents

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 05:30PM by Bob Slayton.
June 09, 2011 05:57PM
Here is another story we never would have heard about without Wikileaks....
Wikileaks Cables: U.S. Worked To Scuttle Haiti Gas Development Deal On Behalf Of Big Oil

And on Democracy Now today Amy has a guest speaking about a natural gas deal to Puerto Rico from the USA and the pipeline to get the natural gas there.Link to the Puerto Rico natural gas story on Democracy Now
Happy Reading
June 09, 2011 07:46PM
June 28, 2011 05:00PM
July 07, 2011 01:47AM
As we sit here a await the Obama improvements over Bush, let us not forget that PFC Bradley Manning still sits in jail awaiting trial.. Julian Assange sits in the UK while fighting extradition to Sweden where he can be extradited to the USA w/o further ado.. amid calls for treason & worse... meanwhile this weekend in the UK, Julian Assange met w/Amy Goodman of Democracy Now and 1,800 others and spoke about a few subjects, including the effects Wikileaks has had... here is a link...Wikileaks re; Haati and the suppression of minimun pay for workers... and more
I too had hope re;Obama, but I've since come to believe that he is just a BUSH of a different color.
April 05, 2012 11:41PM
For those who might have forgotten about PFC Bradlay Manning, or for those who might have some interest, here is another link to what has happened to him in the past 2 years since his incarceration.
inside-a-military-court-hearing-how-the-government-is-railroading-bradley-manning
Bradley Manning is still awaiting trial, but after 20 months of detention, he finally has gone thru the farce of his pre-trial(Article 32) Hearing

There have been only 3 cases in history, where the USA has brought charges against so called "whistleblowers" .. that was until this administration took office... since that time the numbers have doubled, The Obama administration has 6 cases filed against whistleblowers in just 3 years.

With the 2012 elections drawing near, I wonder if anyone can remember the 1968 elections & conventions? Just curious as I believe this years elections will make that time frame seem tame. (Did you know that in Chicago it is against the law to take a photo of a cop? And that is where the Republican convention will be held....)
Constitutional Rights... Accountability... yes.. it could've been worse if a Republican were elected in 2008.... but remember this.
the lesser of 2 evils...... is still EVIL
April 06, 2012 12:11AM
Once more for those who might be interested in their Constitutional Rights, here is another story....
drone-use-in-the-u.s-raise-privacy-concerns
Be Aware... be very aware.... especially all you growers out there...

PS Here is another link re; The NATO convention which will be held in Chicago in May
permit-for-nato-protest-granted-but-fight-not-over-say-organizers

Jah Guide & Protect
Bob Slayton
[www.onelovereggae.com]
[www.kmud.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 12:21AM by Bob Slayton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login