Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Prophet Speaketh: The Cult of Reggae

Posted by Prophet Hi Fi 
Prophet Hi Fi
April 01, 2004 07:42PM
The Prophet Speaketh:

The cult of reggae is extreme in its trappings on a social level and there is little discourse that questions the status quo of the community. The trappings in particular are founded in an array of slogans which bare little substance relative to the average user, being that simply speaking the jargon and delivering the accepted dogmatism initiates acceptance from the masses, and removes one from the microscope. The slogan database is amazingly diverse and contrary, facilitating anyone to weave a complex series of phrases that all sound great, but do little more than cover one’s self in the extremes of ambiguity.

To be more specific, stating the lack of substance in the average user may be a hard pill to swallow, but the groundwork for this is under the context of relation. If we look at roots music as the hymns of sufferers, diatribes against the slave masters, the anthems of africanism, broadcast specifically by those of African decent, the bridge of relation extended to the average westerner would be sympathetic at best. In many ways it would be confusing why any westerner would be a fan at all, considering their way of life, the country they live in, and the economic system they partake in, are the very things passionately disposed of in that same roots music. If the common answer of “the music makes me feel good” is delivered, one could reason that the person is saying that they enjoy listening to the suffering of others.

Thus spoke the Prophet

bun n cheese
Re: The Prophet Speaketh: The Cult of Reggae
April 01, 2004 08:00PM
everyone suffers, some more than others. to learn of others trials through musical expression can be a very powerfull thing as music is a medium that allows one to transport themself into the shoes of the artist. it indeed is comforting to hear a beautiful expression of strife and struggle in a poinient phrase on a heavy beat. comforting to know that others suffer and were not silent. comforting that it can be expressed in beautiful melody.

what is that alpha blondie song... something about life aint no dice...
April 01, 2004 08:41PM
Cult of Reggae!?
Reggae is a popular music of Jamaican origin having elements of calypso and rhythm and blues, characterized by a strongly accentuated offbeat.
Oh...you mean cult of Rasafari.
Well here are a few quotes...
We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community." (Haile Selassie)

Here's one from a lioness..
"Obviously war is one of the major problems which bring disaster on the life of mankind. Inspite of the differences of color, race, creed or religion between women in this world, they all hate war, because the fruit of wars is nothing but disaster. War exterminates their beloved husbands, their brothers and their children. It destroys and eliminates their families. We would like to bring to the attention of all women of the world that it is their duty to voice and express solidarity against such acts." (Empress Menen)

"No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God." (Haile Selassie)

"Rastafari means to live in nature, to see the Creator in the wind, sea and storm. Other religions pointed to the sky, and while we were looking in the sky, they dug up all the gold and diamonds and went away with them" (Jimmy Cliff)

"Do you ever see the rainbow in the sky? Do the colors fight amonst themselves? Then why should mankind fight amongst themselves trough their different colors? The whole world is a garden and all the people in it are his flowers and we all beautify this garden with all our different colors. As the rainbow is in the heavens so are we, as rainbow people in his earth. Jah made all colors so all things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderfull he made them all. Each little flower that opens, and each little bird that sings he made their glowing colors and he made their tiny wings. So remember: What does it profit a man to gain the whole word and lose his soul. So wey dem a go do wid it?" (Ras Michael)

"Many discouraging hours will arise before the rainbow of accomplished goals will appear on the horizon." (Haile Sellassie I)

"When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" (Martin Luther King)

There are always wolves in sheeps clothing, but this is the Rastafari I have come to know and respect.
ForwardZion.....
jjlab3
April 01, 2004 10:44PM
Great quotes and points Forward Zion. You just put a smile on my face.

As one of the "Westerners" who has been a huge Reggae fan for many years, I am one of those people who answer 'the music makes me feel good." Not becuase of the suffering of others, just the opposite. Reggae shows are one of the few places where I really feel at one with people of all races. In every day life I am bombarded by messages of divisiveness through the media. At a reggae show it may sound corny but I really do get a feeling of "one love."

Does that excuse all of the other racism and horrors in the world? Of course not, but I have decided to try to live me life in a poistive way. I try to be a positive influence on my own environment and patronize Reggae festivals and shows to meet any people who are like minded.
April 01, 2004 10:54PM
Yes I agree and many oppressed people react with violence, just look at what is going on in palastine!
Reggae is positive and keeps me smiling from ear to ear. (especially when I watch Don Carlos) smiling smiley
It is such a great example to opressed people that suffering can be channeled into a expression like rasta music!!
No violence, just one love.
"You gwan start a war,
only create more war.." -Bob Marley
Hugh G. Go
April 01, 2004 11:04PM

why even respond to someone referring to themselves (third person even) as "the prophet"? what a dumbass. i think the "prophet" should saveth his crap for his mom and his girlfriend, who is no doubt at least 12 years his junior.

she'd have to be.

NEW TOP 3 Useless Annoying Posters Rankings:

1. Jahmeek

2. "the prophet" [new entry!]

3. Dale Hauskins
jjlab3
April 01, 2004 11:04PM
Like Don says, "I love you, but Jah love you more."
Pale Ryder
April 02, 2004 12:04AM
I can understand what has been said, cause so much of reggae lyrics are a series of cliches, and style and fashion is such a trap we all fall in. Forward Zion, me love your willingness to share the truth, and the intelligence to put it forth in such a manner, and the time spent. Nuff Respect!!!
matty
April 02, 2004 03:00AM
again forward zion, you are the man. hifi, i see what you are getting at and i think you can help start that discourse better if you don't come down in such an offensive manner.
i couldn't agree more that we need to challenge our own staus quo's so that we can continue to grow as a like minded people who share a love of a form of expression. i think that you understand in your heart the place where thoughtful and aware reggae artists are trying to go with thier respective messages. but i feel like you lessen the positive impact you could have on people with the manner in which you offend in your posts.
i would assume that you are essentially a fan of reggae, and are tus like minded, why do you want to **** in your own living room. bring your disagreements and qualms with love and you start to remove your people from the vicious cycle of negativity that you disagree with in the first place.

all said with love

selah
April 02, 2004 06:51AM
Most casual Americans who go to reggae festivals just like to have some background music to smoke weed and do drugs to. Sizzla could talk about "Burn all white people" and you will have the blond-dreads nodding their THC-addled heads, uttering "Righteous duuude".
The fact is while many reggae/dancehall artists preach a One Love concept, that does not define reggae music as a whole. they will blast "One Love" but ignore "Wicked Ah Go Feel It". It's the same reason Bob Marley reached such international success while Peter Tosh's revolutionary, beg-no-friend zeal was met with mixed results.

In the end, if one does not have well-rounded knowledge or deep understanding of sufferation, poverty, racism etc they do not turly understand reggae music...and to them it is merely a form of music they can take or leave, whereas it is the lifeblood of Carribean people and third-world sufferers the Earth over.
April 02, 2004 09:01AM
-giv+thanx+ Hugh G. Go....... nice rank i*ya bumbaclot! iNi did not have a reason to post dis thread till i* stepped in your muck. so i* say although dale has been running his AD for "free" on dis board for sometime now. it still seems pozitive to have more use than your bark. >forward the vibes^
john dillinger
April 02, 2004 09:13AM
go on and trip on the 10 principles of ethiopian science...
the vibe is steadily being graduated on the sierra boards.
April 02, 2004 11:30AM
Author: ForwardZion (---.riv-eres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: 04-01-04 15:41

Nuff respect to you for speading the word sound of Rastafari which is Love- Light- Honour- Respect - Compassion - and much much more!
Blessed
Kufunya
April 02, 2004 05:31PM
Well. I Learn something more every sun that sets. Thank you ForwardZion! Thanks for the light and thanks for the love- As a deer friend said onto me once
(Speak Truth) (Spread Light) Much love!
and thank you Prophet.
As a younger Westerner Ive converted mylife to opening my mind at all costs and Loving all of the Beings in my conciousness and am Learning that im not alone on this rock! I am one of many and need to not forget such!
Though I Do know little about Rasta Culter and Reggae Music, I Love it all- The message, the beat - "THE LOVE" I Can't wait to see you all thier! Respect for all
Thank you all for the wizdome shared. Gravely Respected

Happy Trails
jjlab3
April 02, 2004 05:32PM
Like I said above to Forwardzion's email, I try to stay positive. The so called "life blood of the carribean people" is also in a big way supported financially and artistically by "western" audiences who buy the music and pay the money to see shows. This allows the artist to keep producing music and their art. Thereby exposing more to the message of the music.
iman
April 02, 2004 08:48PM
reggae has a good beat, and you can dance to it. Who cares if people sufferin'?
April 02, 2004 09:33PM
"I" man,
Your name says it all............
bun n cheese
April 02, 2004 09:34PM
I though Iman was married to David Bowie.
bun n cheese
April 02, 2004 09:35PM
sorry for the off topic post
Pale Ryder
April 02, 2004 09:39PM
jjlab3 thankyou for the reminder, we are all apart of the reggae rub a dub chain. Just like a food chain, the mouse eats the bug, the snake and the hawk eat the mouse, completing the link. Jah put inspiration into man, him have talent through music, him express his or her self through music, then the fans of that music purchase it, then several thousand appear, so dem can have money all through the year........Thus completing the chain........
April 03, 2004 06:36PM
the LION shall break every chain!
April 06, 2004 10:07PM
jjlab3 and pale,
Great posts!
"Pick up the reggae
Don't you throw it away
Pick up the reggae
For it come to stay
Created by the Rastaman originally
And gone INTERNATIONAL, all over the world.
Chinaman - him just a rock to the reggae
Syrian- him just a jump to the reggae
Whiteman - say him love the reggae
Reggae create by I and I, I say."
ForwardZion........
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login