Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: CP TIME

Posted by Ninja 
OT: CP TIME
April 05, 2011 09:29PM
for those of you who know what this is can anyone explain said cultural phenomenon?
Re: OT: CP TIME
April 05, 2011 09:52PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=CP%20Time
Colored People's Time. also see: CPT

The usually correct stereotype that African-Americans are incapable of punctuality, and are chronically tardy in both arriving at and beginning events and functions.
1)
White girl: Why are we still waiting? It should have started 15 minutes ago.
White guy: The organizers are black so we're on CP Time. They're probably backstage talking or eating.

2)
Black organizer thinking to herself: Well, we should probably start, even though most of my friends haven't arrived yet because of good old CP Time. I guess we'll wait another 30 minutes for the black folks to show up.
April 05, 2011 09:56PM
Are you serious? What's your angle there Ninja?
April 05, 2011 10:08PM
Sounds like Hipster Racism to me...
April 05, 2011 10:13PM

Nationalized (socialized?) Passenger train system operating mainly in Canada. 84.7% on-time. Smoking coaches. Poutine (french fries with disgusting gravy) served at all hours. Prostitution frowned upon.

I think its a Canadian culture phenomenon....not really reggae related.
April 05, 2011 10:15PM
Have to burn out all promotions of slackerism and missing-the-mark-ism

I can only promote being the best in all you do

In terms of manners, civility, and punctuality.

Personally I have realized many stereotypes of being black or colored. Tardiness is one of them. In the long run all this has cost me money, lost time, And opportunity.

So I say a return to a promotion of righteousness and a promotion of the straight and narrow

In the long run the straight path is the shortest path. May not be the most pleasurable path. So big up life lesson. Big up living upright!
April 05, 2011 10:32PM
mulligan
Poutine (french fries with disgusting gravy) served at all hours.

I had Poutine for the first time the other day from the Potato Champion. Indeed, it was well disgusting.
April 06, 2011 03:09AM
Lawd ham mersay!!

Have you nothing to say or do?

CP time could be COUNTRY people, people on the county people, crazy people,. Every time something is negative it just has to be linked to a black person. People who run on CP time come in all colors.

Now I'm late f**king with you. smiling smiley
April 06, 2011 03:31AM
Ninja what's the point of the post???
April 06, 2011 03:31PM
the point is to ask if others experience this same phenomenon. Also to make fun of people for talking about Hipster Racism..

People are people and every "group" of people has wierd cultural stuff that we do. When I go into my Auntie's house it "smells like black people". Unless you have the experience that I have you don't know what I mean. When we host any sort of event if you do not account for "CP time" you will have years and years of frustration. This has nothing to do with an individual. Any person can be late to shi+. When I roll over to Bun's Layer though he knows if I say 630 chances are it is like 715. Why? Cp time baby.
April 06, 2011 05:56PM
using race as an excuse to justify being irresponsible.....?!
is it okay for others to use that same stereotype.....?!
i.e., "we're not waiting for him, cuz he works on CPT"
really, it seems inappropriate to use at all....

but accurately it should be called "LPT" or "IPT"
cuz it doesn't matter what the "lazy" or "irresponsible" persons skin color is....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 06, 2011 06:14PM
Strange thing to post, but then again there is all kinds of weird sh*t that makes its way onto this board so in that vein it isn't that far out there. i have heard it referred to in the way Ninja uses it, but of course there are way more people that have this tendency than just black folks. i am afraid i can't agree with saying that it is irresponsible or lazy though HG1 - it is just a different way of doing things than some may prefer. In the interests of full disclosure, i will say that i am chronically late and over the years i have found that busting my ass to try to be "on time" to everything doesn't generally get me there any sooner - it just gets me frustrated. i have come to accept that i am just like that - some people i know get upset by it sometimes but i can't really take that on anymore so it's on them at this point. Maybe i can learn to be more timely but then again maybe they can learn to lighten the f*ck up. i think by saying that being late is irresponsible one puts a value judgement on it that isn't necessary - it's just different. Maybe i should counter by saying people who are so attached to being on-time are anal or uptight - would that be correct? i don't think so - once again, different strokes for different folks and we all need to work some to accomodate each other. When i am meeting with a timely person, i try harder to make it there at the appointed hour (which usually results in me being 15 minutes late instead of an hour late), and most of my peeps cut me some slack.

In some ways though, this is very often just a cultural thing - living here in Nicaragua almost everybody is "late" to everything and since everybody is on the same schedule, nobody gets upset...usually. My fam here is later-than-late so i fit right in. Many times i am late because i am in the middle of a very meaningful interaction with somebody and i don't want to cut it short - i find that here this is much more accepted and is part of the rhythm of life, whereas in the u.s. it is generally not.
April 06, 2011 06:16PM
Is this in the same vein as "Soon Come"? It'll come sooner or later...
April 06, 2011 06:19PM
bun n cheese
Sounds like Hipster Racism to me...

Hey its ok i have lots of friends who are hipsters
April 06, 2011 06:20PM
GREAT - after reading this stuff i am late for some sh*t i need to do! Damn you Ninja...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 06:37PM by selektahjohnbrown.
April 06, 2011 06:40PM
A lot of my friends are always late. Personally I find it annoying waiting for somebody who says they are going to be there at a certain time only to be a minimum of 15 minutes late. I've had to either tell people we are leaving or doing something an hour earlier than the actual time, so I'm not late because of them. Don't you always late people feel bad when you make people wait for you? I do, that's why I show up when I say I am going to.
April 06, 2011 06:47PM
Manners and civilization is a must.
April 06, 2011 06:48PM
ah the old "if everybody is 15 minutes late, then everybody is on time" theory, right?!

April 06, 2011 06:50PM
J_72
Is this in the same vein as "Soon Come"? It'll come sooner or later...

Soon come is just a euphemism for inconsiderate.

Wasn't bob marley known for his timliness And hard work?

Manners and civilation.
April 06, 2011 08:03PM
HG, it has nothing to do with being lazy. It has more to do with how much importance you put on the "clock". When I go to Belgium and I sit at the dinner table for 3 hours eating one meal I don't think they are being lazy or gluttonous. That is just how it is. People do wierd shi+ all the time and a lot of time we have "micro" cultures that exist around us and there is nothing wrong with noticing these things. Some of them are funny. As to the shot at Hipster Racism...some shi+ it funny. Sorry, If I almost get run over in a parking lot and I look up and it is an Asian lady, I have the right to chuckle. It reminds me of Ludacris in that movie where he is calling people racist for clutching purses etc when he is in fact getting ready to rob someone. To me the irony is hysterical.
April 06, 2011 08:48PM
go catch a train/bus in denmark, germany, or japan and i guarantee your train will be there within 5-10 seconds of schedule sharp.

go catch a train/bus in spain, italy, or france you see time is much more relative.

time/cultures/race all relative. every race has a time, and it not a race without time.
April 06, 2011 09:06PM
Ninja
It has more to do with how much importance you put on the "clock".

I know what you're saying ninja, and to a certain extent i agree.....
i don't wear a watch specifically for the reason that i hate time schedules.....
but i still have to know what time it is cuz here's how it works in the real world:
don't show up on time for work = don't have a job to show up to at all....
bosses don't care if "that's just how you are" or not..... get to work on time or you're fired!

see, it's really not about the clock, it's how much importance you put on the agreement that was made.... by not showing up when you said you would, you show that can't follow through.... an extremely unappealing trait, as well as disrespectful to the person you're meeting with.... why not just tell the person you can't be there until "x" time instead of promising something and then falling back on it.... expecting the world to cater to your irresponsibility shows a serious lack of character and maturity...

hopefully people that hold these weak personal ethics are not passing on their slackness to any youth....

April 07, 2011 03:40PM
what if it is everything you said, but the person does not have the "expectation of others to cater"?

Also, I think if you look at what you have said you seem to be putting much of the focus on an "agreement" and "Promising" I think this might be the point. A lot of people don't see time schedules as "agreements" or "promises". In the case of work? of course. CP time is usually reserved for social functions.
April 07, 2011 06:26PM
thanks for the reasoning ninja....
seeing as this is not exclusive to people of color, maybe it can change to not be a race based term......

something like....
Casual People Time

April 07, 2011 07:22PM
Growing up in Alaska, being a half hour late was known as 'jewish standard time' because we were and we are.

Love that reggae!
April 07, 2011 08:09PM
casual people that happen to have soul in their step??
April 07, 2011 08:38PM
bigvein
Manners and civilation.

Agreed.

"Manners, ain't nothing wrong with having manners...show respect and some courtesy...." - Third World

Peace
April 07, 2011 09:24PM
If you ever come to see a show in Portland one shoud know Mt Tabor runs on CP time.
April 07, 2011 10:02PM
i lived in portland for 20+ years but i won't be coming back any time soon so i'll have to take your word for it that they run a bit late.........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login