Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disciples streaming broadcast....

Posted by hmm... 
hmm...
Disciples streaming broadcast....
February 09, 2005 10:34PM
check it out.....since december i`ve been running this weekly streaming broadcast, playing my selections of deep roots music from the 70`s /80`s and raw rub-a-dub digi styles from the late 80`s / early 90`s...there are two shows per week, uploaded every wednesday nite, and they are available to listen to at all times in between....

[www.disciplesbslbm.co.uk]

this weeks playlists:
show 1:
Delroy Williams - All The Time (Rockers Int 12"winking smiley
Jah Bull - We Know Where Were Going (Rockers Int 12"winking smiley
Vivian Jones - Punishment (White Rum 12"winking smiley
Sons Of Jah - Anthem (Natty Congo 12"winking smiley
Wiya Lindo - His Majesty`s Authority (Natty Congo 12"winking smiley
Bunny Wailer - Love Fire / version (Solomonic 12"winking smiley
Trevor Hartly & Ray I - Africa / version (Jah Child 12"winking smiley
Sylford Walker - Book Of The Old Testament (Art & Craft 12"winking smiley
Jah Stitch - Jah Speak Unto Moses (Art & Craft 12"winking smiley
Peter Broggs - Never Forget Jah (Cha Cha 12"winking smiley

show 2:
Frankie Paul - Promised Land / version (Champion 7"winking smiley
Dennis Brown - The Promised Land / version (Shalom 7"winking smiley
Jnr Delgado - We A Blood (Fashion 7"winking smiley
Shako Lee - No No Jah Jah Children (Fashion 7"winking smiley
Glen Brown - South East Music / version (Fashion 7"winking smiley
Melody Makers - Rat Trap / version (Ghetto Youths 7"winking smiley
Third World - Life In The Balance / version (Jah`s Music Prod. 7"winking smiley
Leroy Smart - Render Your Heart / version (Unity & Love 7"winking smiley
Andrew Wright - Temper / version (Tash Muzik 7"winking smiley
Nerious Joseph - Here I Come Again / version (Sinbad Prod. 7"winking smiley

also check out clips of Jah Shaka sound system running some Disciples dubs from sessions dating back to late 80`s...check the vibes !

just click on the play button and enjoy....

respx.... russ d
Stevo
Re: Disciples streaming broadcast....
February 09, 2005 10:44PM
Russ- question how many copies of the 10 with Shaka dubs did you press?
jbwelda
NOTE to mark gorney:
February 09, 2005 10:45PM
>Vivian Jones - Punishment (White Rum 12"winking smiley

lots more where that came from. you cant say i never tell you now!

one love
jah bill
hmm...
February 09, 2005 10:48PM
stevo...750 first press.... i`m always cautious of pressing more because we have such poor distribution in uk.... plus i do two 10" a time and its enough monies to pay out !
February 10, 2005 10:25AM
Large up Russ! Been waiting some time to actually here those impossible to find tunes you rated on your lists. Keep up the works!
February 10, 2005 07:44PM
>giv+thanx for the Shaka specials seen i*dren! ini had a great time last nite tuning in to dem BIG up'z! looking @those dates(88'&89') meks i* ponder about how far ahead his sound waz in dis crucial time. now if iNi could get some bass helpings like dis @ SNWMF 2005' iNi summer would be starting in with a bang! hope sumhow the dancehal area can pull up dis year with sumting worth while dubwize. Disciples would be more than nice* -RASpects+
Stevo
February 10, 2005 07:59PM
Doesn't sound like theres an active BSL soundsystem any longer Jahmeek. But I have to agree with you fully.
-Stevo
hmm...
February 10, 2005 08:57PM
there`s no `active` bsl sound system, that was sold off back in `96, but i have continued to dj since, travelling all over europe, japan, israel and once to the usa for shows with ras kush a couple of years back.... i guess for snwmf we`d have very little crowd pulling name, but if approached we`d of course be there ... who knows, maybe one day !
Stevo
February 10, 2005 11:52PM
Is anyone who matters listening to this? Please? Russ, I would be glued to the dancehall for your set, and I would pump it up to everyone and anyone I know and meet.
-Stevo
February 11, 2005 12:10AM
>dem were sleeping while bush chemist's pon D board last year among otherz aswell* -RASpects+
dub collective
February 11, 2005 12:54AM
Of course I would second Stevo's comments about promoting and energizing people for Disciples in session at Sierra. I find it crazy that with such a vibrant UK and European Sound System Scene that there is has not been a place or attempt to introduce this to the SNWMF. I understand why SNWMF feels the need to bring in a crew like Stone Love but some of us really want a change. I wonder if it would be possible to have part of the Dancehall session run by a sound with more of a UK perspective. Furthermore, for anyone who has heard Disciples sound in session or even though sound tapes it is really a balanced set in terms of the tunes played - It is not at all pure digital dub (though I would hope some would be included).

Respect Russ & to the SNWMF booking committee - please open up and let the dancehall scene expand!
dub collective
February 11, 2005 12:59AM
As I thought about my recent experiences at SNWMF - I did leave out a crucial detail and need to extend a thank you for their efforts in bringing in JAH SHAKA three years ago - That was no small oversight - However, I hope that we can continue to move forward and introduce more of the sounds many of which were inspired by the Mighty Jah shaka. Disciples, Aba Shanti, Channel One, King Shiloh, Iration Steppas, and so many more.......................
Stevo
February 11, 2005 05:56AM
Yes I. And to add to the comment on Disciples versatility.......I heard a session on cd where he ran a wicked version of "Money Money" by....CUTTY RANKS!!!!! Wicked tune!!!!!! pon Outernational 7". Feel blessed to have it, especially after hearing Russ drop it. Crazy car crash sound effects truly elevate the dub. HARD.
-Stevo
February 11, 2005 09:51AM
Actually the dub scene is to be found al over Europe so dont sleep on the sounds from Italy (King David), Germany (Abassi HI Power), Switzerland (Cultural Warriors), Sweden (Meditative Sounds), France (Blackboard Jungle), etc etc. Its all over!

Its fun to see the intressted growing over seas as well, because its opening up to a crowd and a market which was unthinkable acouple of years back. Hopefully this goes for the better both ways. Because the people running the sounds doesnt earn much money (if any at all) out of this. Its pure love for the music!

Respect
February 11, 2005 04:37PM
I think its great that the soundsystem thing is alive and well ,sound system is not just turning up to a club with records on a club system .from the turntable to the box's you would try to create something unique ,the way you drop the be-line,your pre-amp effects, spring reverb ect.. even your record box with pictures of your sound people or artist's,the guys who would lift box's for you [box boys ] the size of your van , sir coxsone would have removal vans ,when you reach dance back then you would look for the vans to see if coxsone or shaka or who ever had reached.you might be in a dance shaka has not turned up yet ,then the lights go on and he would turn up ,the boys would carry in the speaker box's in string up ,all the time the other sound would be playing,testing one two, then the tops would echo out,then boom the bass that would punch you in the chest ,shaka sound shaka sound ,unlike disco this is unique,and once you have had or been in a sound its in your blood and you long to play sound ,its heart breaking sometimes the sound mash up or fight broke out, this was back in the day ,i dont think things go so now,you could play out ,and next day find out some one has cut the speaker cones ,which can upset you to say the least,but that soundsystem business,i live in NY now ,and went to last snwmf ,downbeat and stonelove but it was not there sounds,i know you can't bring over say shaka sound, it would cost to much ,so you will never have the real thing ,sad but true,but i long to hear the sound of the tops[chop chopping] echo of the walls of a town hall like brixton again ,it was what made this unique,the windows shaking,and all with sounds playing no more than say 1,000 watts non of this 4-k stuff ,KT88's hot like fire ,i love it
aka_richie
February 11, 2005 05:24PM
russ recounted a great tale, [can't recall the exact details] where jah shaka was playing a return match against another sound... certain things transpired first time round, so basically second time he got to the venue early enough and blocked off the entrance with his van - and lock off the rival sound and control that session, him one alone!!!

February 11, 2005 06:04PM
yes richie nuff things went on ,thay would pull the mains plug when you were playing ,cut your speaker wire,you had your boys around your amp stand so others could not nick your records,throw drink in your amps ect..,i found when a sound wanted to play while it was my turn, i played the start of the dub to i'm a levi Ijah man on concrete jungle at full watts a few times, that would upset them
February 11, 2005 06:10PM
Peter,
Sounds pretty rude. When you say "sounds playing no more than say 1,000 watts non of this 4-k stuff ,KT88's hot like fire ,i love it."

How many watts was shocking running back in the early '80's? I was under the impression that he ran a huge set even back then. -MK
February 11, 2005 06:12PM
Shocking??? I meant "Shaka." I was Typing faster than my brain is thinking.
jbwelda
February 11, 2005 06:48PM
for one thing, a tube (valve) amp putting out a rated 1000 watts often has more true power than another non-tube amp rated at 4000 watts (often peak power) so just quoting wattage doesnt mean much (peter knows that and he knows what hes talking about, im just throwing that in for clarification). especially pumping bass notes, you need all the power you can get and you need HUGE capacitors to make sure the power doesnt get exhausted before the next note.

another thing: too bad they didnt try cutting the AC line...electricity runs faster than you can cut with sissors, that would have been fun to watch.

nuff nuff competition over there, dont think that ever manifested in the states and i think in ja it was mostly the police who mashed up the dance, but things were ruff in inglan (thanks for the stories last year peter...).

also thanks for bringing up what i keep bringing up: bringing someone like disciples etc over here is bound to be an expensive disappointment: cant bring his equipment, he would be hard pressed to bring all his records, so youre left hearing him on the house system, which, while not bad, just doesnt stand up to 10s - 100s of bass bins and tops stacked all over the room for that big chest pounding sound that these dub (especially) system require to get over.

that was shakas downfall at the snwmfs hes been to, nice to see and hear him but not true experience. i never been to a uk sound system dance but one day...

one love
jah bill
February 11, 2005 07:09PM

Does anyone know of any source for large bass scoop bins here in Cali? It just isn't feasible to have shipped from over seas?
-MK
February 11, 2005 07:10PM
>Build ya own i*dren. dats wha it all about* -RASpects+
jbwelda
hidden special offer
February 11, 2005 07:21PM
respects to zoki, just got a six cd set from him of shaka appearing on joey jays show on kiss fm london in 1984 i believe.

ive only listened to the first cd so far (and a bit of the second) and the sound quality is quite nice (though it appears to take a bit of a dive on the second cd but it might just be the dubplates hes spinning).

so, in honor of mr zoki' s generosity and the bigging up of uk sounds here, i will make copies of this cd set for all comers. heres the rules:

1. youre going to have to send me a SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED MAILER to send the disks back to you...note STAMPS, the post office will NOT accept those postage strips with a date on them, no matter what they tell you at the post office...

2. youre going to have to send me 6 cd blanks

3. youre going to have to make sure i get the disks before february 28 (thats two weeks plus a couple days...shouldnt cause a hardship for anyone i wouldnt think)

anyone sending anything else will be very disappointed to learn their package went into the trash, unless prior arrangements are made (eg: for those outside the USA). that includes shortcuts like sending me an address label and telling me to use the mailer the stuff came in: into the trash with it. as you might well imagine its going to take me some time to fulfill the expected requests so please help me to help you by following the directions.

if youre interested, email me at wjust@dgweb.com and we can get this going. i think all shaka-philes will love this set though as i mentioned above i cannot testify to the sound quality of the last 5 disks, though they are probably ok...you will get what i got, thats a promise.

one love
jah bill
February 11, 2005 07:30PM
>mite take u up on dat offer bill mon. still pondering the trash talk but would like to hear dem no doubt so anyways soon come* -RASpects+
Stevo
February 11, 2005 09:28PM
Tmilk-
I was stuck on a site last nite for like two hours studying some very detailed blueprints and guidelines for building your own Bass bins. All kinds for whatever application. But in particular, the 18 scoops and folded horns. Rod Mogule is the man behind the site and the plans I was looking at were specially design to accomidate the PD1850 an 18" subwoofer made by Precision Devices, not available anywhere in the US but it is sold on Jah Tubbys site and I'm sure they swear by it. Wait till you see a picture of one. 13" magnet. BOOM! I'm gonna get started constructing one of the folded horn designs. See what Mogule has to say against the scoop design. I think the folded horn is more desireable. Check it out. www.speakerplans.com
-Stevo
February 11, 2005 09:34PM
>Tubby's got sum nice stuff i*mon in D $hop* HEAVYWEIGHT* got 2luv dem siren triggers off the mixx. on dem woffers u post-> NOW-A-classic* RUNN IT!!!!!!!
-RASpects+
Stevo
February 11, 2005 09:37PM
Correction to my post......the man's name is ROG not Rod
hmm...
touting for business !
February 11, 2005 09:51PM
in response to: "bringing someone like disciples etc over here is bound to be an expensive disappointment"....we`re not that expensive, certainly not in shaka`s fee bracket... equipment-wise, because almost all of my shows are abroad i`ve slimmed things down to a very minimal size, i have a custom built mini pre-amp, i use a small boss half rack delayer, a few small fx units...and lastly (horror of all horrors !!) i play all tracks off cd, i know, how can i call myself a bonafide sound system dj, well its not about the format, its about the music and the style of how we put it across, we play a lot of unreleased music off cd, and for release tunes i`ve made it a point for myself to only play tracks that i actually have on vinyl (no dodgy mp3`s etc)...all other arguments for or against are pointless....anyways, differently from shaka we try and run even club systems in a sound system style (shaka do`nt walk with any pre-amp / fx, and does`nt use any supplied by any foriegn sound with such), ok you`ll never achieve the fullness but if a system is decent enough and the pa engineer ain`t crushing the sound with compressors and limiters then its usually is ok.. and always better if we actually hear the fullness of the system (like the audience) rather than crappy stage monitors...so there ya go...book us up !

btw: as i understand it shaka`s old valve amp was rated at 1500w, as jb points out though valve wattage is far higher in real terms...still, since early 90`s shaka also uses a piece of 2000w transistor on bass (the amp is in 4 blocks of 500w) and he`ll use whatever might be needed for any given session....in contrast, most other sounds here in uk (abashanti / iration steppa / jah tubbys / jah youth / channel one / king earthquake / wsp etc) use fully transistor, and wattages of 4k are nothing, start talking up 12k + (just for bass) and your getting nearer to reality !...and as mentioned, no compressors / limiters to suck out the dynamics.
imho, all those sound are much heavier than shaka these days, but against that i`d say some are more heavy than is actually needed, its become a battle of the bass amongst some of these sounds...jb i think you`d fear for your life, and your hearing .. ha ha !
February 11, 2005 10:11PM
Serious Info. Thanks Steve-o
-MK
February 11, 2005 10:24PM
>dem should start jacking pirate radio T'z to dem have nuff Watts to do job pretty good dar. dub of the future,FCC & BBC look out* -RASpects+
February 13, 2005 09:52PM
Great selection all the way Russ, respect for bringing us those sounds !
hmm...
February 17, 2005 11:22AM
latest shows now available with the following selections:

Playlist:
Errol Holt - Fly Your Dread (Visions Of Africa LP)
Don D Jnr & Mighty Cloud Band - Todays Melody / version (Mighty Cloud 7"winking smiley
Mike Brooks - Rum Drinker (Forward Recs. 7"winking smiley
Mike Brooks - Sensi Man / version (Blank 7"winking smiley
Ken Boothe - Who Really Care / version (Roots Int 7"winking smiley
Alton Ellis - Rhodesia / version (Joint Int 7"winking smiley
Delroy Wilson - You`re Gonna Get A Beating (Justice 7"winking smiley
Jah Stitch - Agrovators Knock Them Out / version (Third World 7"winking smiley
Jackie Brown - Wiser Dread (Cash 7"winking smiley
Dr Alimantado - Jah Jah Great / version (August 7"winking smiley
Ras Michael & The Sons Of Negus - Run Aggressor Run / version (Rastafari 7"winking smiley
Ras Michael & Sons Of Negus - Midnight Hour / version (Soul Beat 7"winking smiley

Playlist:
Gregory Isaacs - Report To Me / version (Music Works 7"winking smiley
Courtney Melody - Heal Them Jah Jah / version (Million Recs 7"winking smiley
Courtney Jeffery - Nah Sorry Fi Rude Boy / version (Safari 7"winking smiley
Conroy Smith - Wake Up / version (Collar Recs 7"winking smiley
O`Niel Dyer - The System / version (Pilot 7"winking smiley
IJahman Levi - Earth No Heaven / version (Jahmani 7"winking smiley
Yami Bolo - Ranson Of A Mans Life / version (Message 7"winking smiley
Little Kirk - Suffer Not The Little Ones / version (Shocking Vibes 7"winking smiley
Barrington Levy - Name Of The Game / version (D&F Recs. 7"winking smiley
dub
February 17, 2005 11:44AM
Ken Boothe - Who Really Care / version (Roots Int 7"winking smiley baaaaaaaaaaaad tune!
dub
February 17, 2005 01:10PM
russ your 2nd show seems to still be playing last weeks set, you sure u put it up?
February 17, 2005 02:36PM
don d jrn and the mighty cloud band tune i love it ,it was one of the first tune's i played on my sound back in the early 70ts,wicked trombone , there was a dj cut to, i'm going to have to dig this rhythm up, it brings back a lot of memories playing sound in east london,nice one
hmm...
February 17, 2005 02:37PM
yo dub...well i checked on my computer, after deleting the files from my hard drive so there was no chance of it reading from that, and its the right show playing, also checked it on someone elses computer and all is right....maybe you need to do a refresh.
dub
February 17, 2005 03:30PM
bit strange i did refresh before which never made a difference and again still the same, even deleted my temp files.only getting the 1st show's new tracks...i'll try again now that i no its from my end
Re: Wiya Lindo - His Majesty`s Authority (Natty Congo 12"winking smiley
February 25, 2005 04:35AM
I would like to hear this.
jbwelda
February 25, 2005 07:10AM
mark did you notice this:

Vivian Jones - Punishment (White Rum 12"winking smiley

never heard it but i bet its tuff

one love
jah bill
Seko
February 25, 2005 07:25PM
BSL aka Blackstarliner sound. Watch out World, Rasta sound coming to bring a positive vibe!!!!
hmm...
February 25, 2005 09:13PM
BSL = Boom Shacka Lacka....all others are imposters !

3 shows this week .... enjoy.

Playlist 1 - 23rd feb:
Edi Fitzroy - Country Man / version (40 Leg 7"winking smiley
Earl Sixteen - Reggae Sound / version (DATC 7"winking smiley
Dillinger - Dread No Warrior / version (Gorgon Rec. 7"winking smiley
Errol Dunkley - African / version (Bomb 7"winking smiley
Jacob Miller - Ghetto On Fire / version (Arab 7"winking smiley
Jacob Miller - Roman Soldiers Of Babylon (Top Ranking 7"winking smiley
- version (taken from King Tubby Dub Inventor 1 lp)
Jacob Miller - I`m A Rastaman (Top Ranking 7"winking smiley
Black Skin - Jack Spratt / version (One Way 7"winking smiley
Electric Dread & Black Kush - Can You Keep A Secret / version (PATS 7"winking smiley

Playlist 2:
Mykal Rose - Run Dem A Run (Mafia & Fluxy 7"winking smiley
Robert Lee - Undertaker (Mafia & Fluxy 7"winking smiley
Echo Minott - Sensitive / version (Mafia & Fluxy 7"winking smiley
Tenor Saw / Pyceral - John Crow / version (Rookie 7"winking smiley
Caddi Mus - Still A Grown Mi Locks / version (The Phantom 7"winking smiley
Yami Bolo - Revolution / version (Leggo 7"winking smiley
Andrew Bees - Militant / version (Music Lion 7"winking smiley
Papa San - Only For Jah (Survival 7"winking smiley
Professor Nuts - Hail Up, Hail Up (Dungle Man 7"winking smiley
Lt Stitchie - Raw Truth (Peak 7"winking smiley
Wailing Souls - Shark Attack / version (Chaos 7"winking smiley
Viceroys - Join The Club / version (Nice `N Easy 7"winking smiley
Gregory Isaacs - Don`t Call Me Baldhead / version (Anchor 7"winking smiley

Playlist 3:
Wiss - Mr Sunshine / version (taken off Mr Sunshine lp)
Defenders - Chant Down Babylon (Defenders 12"winking smiley
John Holt & Alton Ellis - Live & Love / version (Parish 7"winking smiley
Horace Andy - Days Ain`t Bright / version (Atomic Bum 7"winking smiley
Midnight Riders - Set U Self / version (Toplone 7"winking smiley
Hubert Francis - Slave Driver / version (Tycoon 7"winking smiley
Delroy Williams - Scars Of War / version (Vin Hur 7"winking smiley
Oku Onuora - `Bus Out / version (Millionaire Rec. 7"winking smiley
November 25, 2005 11:44PM
how can i get a copy of oh jah jah the one shaka plays
November 26, 2005 10:30AM
call shaka maybe he'll sell it to you
November 26, 2005 10:54AM
Or just call Jah, he'll send it for free
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login