Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

We've got to save HENDY WOODS!

Posted by lorisuesue 
We've got to save HENDY WOODS!
June 21, 2011 07:31PM
Hello SNWMF CAMP-MATES of Hendy Woods, in the blessed Redwoods

We have got to SAVE Hendy Woods from closure.

It's on the stomping block - - and we NEED to DO something to keep it open, so we all can camp there for next year's SNWMF!

I am on board for suggestions. I can't bear to see it shut down sad smiley

LoriSue (~and word from the Ol' Blue Chevy Truck Crew)
Re: We've got to save HENDY WOODS!
June 21, 2011 10:04PM
Are you serious? You want to save this park from closure so we can have a place to camp next year? What about the preservation of the land, the resources and the jobs that are being lost? I'm just saying...eye rolling smiley
June 21, 2011 10:09PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 04:12PM by J_72.
June 21, 2011 10:49PM
Was I rolling my eyes? LOL...my bad eye rolling smiley

Did she not say, "we NEED to DO something to keep it open, so we all can camp there for next year's SNWMF!" ? That kinda sounded like the reason she wanted to keep it open to me....but that's just the way I translated it.

I too, camped at Hendy Woods, for the first time, The night before the festival and the park was amazingly beautiful. I'd hate to see it have to close...
June 22, 2011 07:08AM
so what's the deal with Hendy Woods.. why closing?
June 22, 2011 07:25AM
Check the news release:

[www.parks.ca.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 07:27AM by Jahsprey.
June 22, 2011 07:31AM
Budget cuts...along with five dozen other state parks..
June 22, 2011 09:49AM
Looks like the only hope maybe this:

"With a public-private partnership model used by the US Forest Service (USFS) for thirty years in hundreds of California parks and campgrounds, the government retains ownership of the land and control of the use and character of the park while handing over operational tasks that are time, money, and labor intensive to a more cost-effective private company."

When operating public parks in these partnerships, private companies typically provide visitor services, routine maintenance and repairs (such as bathroom cleaning), landscaping, trash removal and payment of utilities.

Whether this happens at Hendy only time will tell. Probably not likely.

Some parks will start closing in Sept and all 70 must be closed by July 2012.

If Hendy is one of the last to close then perhaps camping will be allowed there in June, but that's indeed a long shot.

Closing the parks to save 22 million when the annual deficit is in the thousands of millions is just a dirty trick to draw attention to the need to raise taxes and fees. Shame on those governing California.
June 22, 2011 10:00AM
we missed you guys rtwize!
June 22, 2011 10:50AM
The ranger told me they make about $2000 a night during the summer, and they are booked every night.

Peace
June 22, 2011 12:09PM
J_72
The ranger told me they make about $2000 a night during the summer, and they are booked every night.

Hmm, hopefully thats enuff of an incentive for a private enterprise to come in and keep the place open for at least the summer months.

We missed all you guys at Hendy this year and the great camping experience.

We decided not to go this year at the last minute for a number of reasons, after going to every SNWMF for the last 16 years.

We would like to return next year but if Hendy is closed that might be a showstopper for us.

Not sure what the options are at this point but we like to combine a camping trip with the festival since its such a long drive up from SoCal.

And, wifey Emily no longer does Porta-Potties and cold showers so the AVB camping is probably not an option.

We did venue camping for many years but as we grew older it became less desirable and that first year in Angel's camp at 105F with swirling
dust was the end of venue camping for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 12:11PM by Rhythmwize.
June 23, 2011 10:12AM
We missed you and Em dearly John. Please send her our love and best wishes. There was a unfillable void at camp this year without you guys. Karl even left a lonely soccer ball in the center of your camp in homage. And we almost starved to death with no cookies!! grinning smiley That counts as a meal in our plan.winking smiley Next year we'll be looking forward to seeing you again. After all you "are" the reason we go there. Thanks again for that. Wouldnt be the same without Hendy. We spoke amongst the Hendy fam, thanks Lori-sue for getting right on it and for your generosity at camp, and we are going to do what we can to save Hendy Woods. We love it and not just for the convenience it gives us for SNWMF. It is a gorgeous state park and should be available for the public to enjoy and appreciate. I would camp there again and again, and we always recommend it to anyone headed that way. Anyone with any suggestions on things we can or others wishing to help do please link up. SAVE OUR STATE PARKS ! SAVE HENDY WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
June 24, 2011 03:35PM
RHYtm, you guys can always car pool back and forth with me to Ukiah.. i am getting used to it by now..smiling smiley
June 24, 2011 05:24PM
If you are serious about doing something, start here:

http://www.calparks.org/
July 08, 2011 12:49PM
To save Hendy Woods State Park in Mendocino County now requires concrete action. Though it is im portant to share memories of and outrage over it's closure it is now a forgone conclusion that it will be closed. That fact is law as it is contained in the recently signed budget. Included with that budget is AB (Assembly Bill) 42. That Bill allows State Parks (whether under threat of closure or not) to remain open if a private nonprofit organization can be found or formed to take over all or some of the financial responsibilities and/or management. The bill describes this as a "partnership".

I have been trying to find out specifically why HWSP was put on the list. I have learned informally that the factors include
-The overwhelming budget crisis
-The water and sewage system is in deplorable condition and requires a large expenditure of funds to upgrade
-The cost of operating the park is twice the amount of money taken in by user fees.
I am working to;
-Raise money from park users, the wine industry, concerned philanthropic individuals and organisations to endow or fund and existing nonprofit "partner"
-Solicit volunteer construction professionals and equipment operators and material suppliers to revamp the water system
-use word of mouth, incentives, and special events to double the visits to the park
July 08, 2011 12:54PM
Hendy was on the list last year as well. You are right though action is the only way for results.

July 08, 2011 01:03PM
Danny Crucial
We missed you and Em dearly John. Please send her our love and best wishes. There was a unfillable void at camp this year without you guys.

What he said - more love from Evan and Tricia
July 08, 2011 01:31PM
How many Music Festival people us the Hendy Woods and how many times a year?
July 08, 2011 01:48PM
[www.facebook.com] First member is a boardie "face"! Welcome brother.

July 08, 2011 01:49PM
I utilize and enjoy state parks as much as I can. Nature must be preserved and it's inhabitants protected.

July 08, 2011 01:51PM
SAVE OUR STATE PARKS!

July 08, 2011 01:57PM
Take Action Now!

July 08, 2011 03:42PM
Please use links above to help in any way you can! thumbs up

July 08, 2011 05:42PM
BerkeleyVin

Once a year, about 300 people camp there attending the festival.
July 10, 2011 05:06PM
Rhythmwize
BerkeleyVin

Once a year, about 300 people camp there attending the festival.

I would like to have a Save Hendy event in Berkeley. Do you think the Festival crowd would attend?
July 10, 2011 06:07PM
"[www.facebook.com] First member is a boardie "face"! Welcome brother."

thumbs up
July 10, 2011 09:35PM
[my.calparks.org]

November 01, 2011 09:02PM
Hi SNWMFers!

So good to hear people are concerned about Hendy and fighting to keep the park open. I am part of a group of local Boonvillians who are organizing Occupy Hendy Woods!

We are staging a camp-in 11/11-11/13. It would be oh so good to get some the festival crowd down to support, share stories, and connect with others who can't bear to see the park close. If you can't make it for anything else, Sunday is a general assembly, Occupy-style.

Spread the word! Hope to see you in the woods.

Contact us at occupyhendywoods@gmail.com
November 02, 2011 06:34AM
LOL....Occupy hendy woods huh? That's just silly.
AJ
November 02, 2011 06:44AM
As I understand it, Hendy Woods would only be closed during the off season (winter months). So for SNWMF the park would be open. Sorry for the people that use and enjoy it during the winter months. Coming from Missouri I do not always get my California State Park information right. I could be wrong about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 01:23PM by AJ.
November 02, 2011 07:02AM
AJ: Where are you getting that info (regarding winter month closing only)? I'm not seeing that information anywhere. The 5/13/11 announcement states:

"State Parks anticipates full park closures related to the proposed budget reductions will occur by July 2012. The parks on the closure list are expected to be open this summer and reservations for this summer will be honored."

As I read it, Hendy will be closed not later than July, 2012, and I don't see anything about any of the parks slated for closure being open in non-winter months...
AJ
November 02, 2011 07:20AM
Daniel - I got that info from www.parks.ca.gov
Go to the Hendy site and it says "entrie campground closed for season". I take it "season" means the next coming season. Like I said I am not sure about this.
November 02, 2011 08:58AM
From what I see, its not clear when Hendy will be closed. It might occur before July 1, 2012 but as of now you can make reservations for May 2012 so that is a good sign that reservations might be also available for June 2012. I assume that if they are allowing you to make reservations then they expect the park to be open during those periods. Not sure about the certainty of that assumption but it seems reasonable that they wouldn't be taking your money if they planned on closing the park before July 2012.
November 02, 2011 09:13AM
savehendywoods
Hi SNWMFers!

I am part of a group of local Boonvillians.....

Boontlers?
November 05, 2011 08:59PM
This is the deal with Hendy...

It will close the end of the fiscal year which is June 30th. After that it will be closed permanently, for good, forever. Unless we can put enough pressure on the state and show that people will not accept its closure. Spread the word!

Please support us in any other way you can.

email occupyhendywoods@gmail.com or call 707-367-1831 to find out more
November 09, 2011 08:41AM
I caught a snipit on the Bay area news this morning that some folks plan to occupy hendy woods in protest of its closure, sounded like people will camp there over the weekend and leave with no trace and actually leave it cleaner than it was prior to them arriving...pretty cool!
[www.sacbee.com]
April 11, 2012 12:26PM
While I was up in Mendo this past weekend, I can across a flyer for this Hendy Woods Benefit:

Navarro Vineyards is hosting a BBQ to benefit Hendy Woods from noon to 3PM on Earth Day, Sunday April 22, 2012 at their winery in Anderson Valley. Locally produced food, wine and music are being provided by the Anderson Valley Community. Hendy Woods, despite its grove of ancient redwoods and historical significance to Anderson Valley, is on the State Parks closure list. The community has come together to raise funds to keep Hendy Woods open. Tickets are $45 for adults including 2 drinks, and $25 for those under 21. There is an optional Can't Attend $25 donation ticket. An auction will feature local food, wine, lodging & art. This event is expected to sell out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login