Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Toots over America... NBC stylee

Posted by TR-808 
TR-808
Toots over America... NBC stylee
April 02, 2004 02:00PM

Saturday Night Live, this weekend:

"...with musical guest Toots and the Maytals (featuring Bootsy Collins, The Roots, Ben Harper and Jack Johnson)."
bun n cheese
Re: Toots over America... NBC stylee
April 02, 2004 02:05PM
wow, the maytals have really expanded their membership.
TR-808
April 02, 2004 02:08PM

@ Roseland Theater in a couple days, no?
TR-808
April 02, 2004 02:09PM

oops i lied... MAY 4th, not April
April 03, 2004 10:17AM
once again national live tv or should i* say NBC has givin us a reggae rip off! when saturday nite live decided to give iNi american veiwerz a first ever glance of reggae on the BIG screen it was peter tosh who trampled the beast. but just as this mixxed performance w/toots they had to have the rolling stones along side mr.tosh for some reason im still trying to define in full(the unity ting is irie but u kno wha im say'in). its been along time since that aired in the 70's & were still waitin for some more irie appearances @ great lengths. iNi only get cheap shots on talk shows @ a very rare rate & have endure just plain bad ganga jokes by show host for commitary. but anywayz thats a whole differnt story here. what im trying to say is what about this cooked up mad mash for dis saturday nite live? a real three ring circus to once again give the public a clot on what to think about this reggae muzak that the industry goes to far efferts to edit & keep from the radio & video zeen.(sorry BET your muzak show is a bloodclot!) toots is a great performer! seen him jam many times including a fine performace on new yearz eve 1997 @ the maritime hall in san fran. he knoz how to work crowd with his expereince & has great energy to get the floor moving. so lets check what this saturdayz production is all about. im sure there wont be much RASpect for the rasta mon here. infact im guessing that JAH* wont get any mention @ all here. not even in lyrics(will C). truth will be reveiled! >forward^
April 03, 2004 10:30AM
Well, I don't see Toots as a messenger of JAH, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is no mention. As for the artists he is performing with, check his newest album. They play on it so it is only natural that they would also appear tonight. I suspect that his using them is a primary factor as to why he is finally getting a shot on SNL. In any case, he is a dynamic performer who deserves nuff respect even if his newest isn't my cup of tea.

I have some video of Tosh on national tv with his band. Maybe it's a David Letterman show or something like that as oppossed to SNL.
April 03, 2004 10:53AM
-seen+ did not know they all played on his new album(not a BIG fan here). did not even know he even wrote new songs because when he play live the songs are all older than i* youth(like a wailers show). he used to have such a nice vibe in his songs. sad to see him go out like dis as he is much respected as a father to his is style. the cover of last yearz reggae festival guide pretty much sumz what he is all about. but so on with more & better! what song did peter play on that footage? very interested to know. -RASpects+
April 03, 2004 11:29AM
Peter Tosh and his band played Stepping Razor and Equal Rights and yes, it was Late Night with David Letterman. Bun down rome.... everytime!!!
April 03, 2004 01:02PM
-yes i*+ heard about that show but never in the act"heard it!" word,sound & power"(good website logo!i*ya')band has no replacment that can draw lighting & thundah like tosh did when they were united. tosh had nothing to say that he would not. even bob was not mentioning thingz in the radical truth text dat was in rockers effect @time. but bunny on the other hand has differnt story so i* will see ya @ R.O.T.R. this year because i* got suckered into going again. first since 98'. hope that will be irie because im so weirry of dat fest after all that has gwan in the growth. but anywayz dont want to get off post to much here cause thats seems to be the order folly of the day. -RASpects+
April 05, 2004 10:48AM
-no feed back on toots show? hmmm well that must mean something. thought about turning on the brain zap @ time it was running but decided that it was not my plate of beanz so i* kept spinning dub alnite into the morn hourz. reaching much more heights than a fast draw of muzak hype could ever do. please dont tell i* that i* missed anything. did i*?. if the i* would kno. YES i*! JAH RAsta Far i*....... blessing toots*
flip
April 05, 2004 01:29PM
I believe Tosh played SNL back in the day with Mick Jagger doing "Don't Look back"
weird seeing the militant Tosh next to Jagger who was doing his thing jumping around and making stupid faces.
i don't expect to much in the way of reggae on regular TV.
April 05, 2004 02:03PM
You'll see plenty a reggae on regular TV, it's called slackness! I see plenty a Beenie Man, Shawn Paul, etc. Haven't you seen the new fad of collaberation with mainstream artists and reggae artists these days, (not to mention the red,gold and green wristbands) The No Doubt album "Rock Steady" was partially produced by sly and robbie. Not that this is such a bad thing but the truth of the matter is the only ones that will make it on TV are the slack tunes. To me it's just Jamacian Hip-Hop. Any thoughts on this?
flip
April 05, 2004 02:12PM
i don't expect to much in the way of reggae on regular TV.
April 05, 2004 05:07PM
i* heard bob marley was "jammin" buBweiser commercials these dayz now that red stripe are really clowning it down!
Pale Ryder
April 06, 2004 10:41AM
Mainstream society has no idea what reggae is all about. The first thing that comes to their minds when the subject of reggae enters the topic of conversation (which I belive rarely does) is Dreadlocks, or the herb. They have no idea of the spiritual aspect of this music. When they think of Jamaicia, they think of sunshine, or hedonistic resorts that exploit the true beauty of the island in the sun. Ever seen what has happened to Dunns River? You have to strive for true knowledge to know what reggae is all about. Slack sells, that is why it is out there. Sean Paul has sold out big with Dutty Rock (Dirty Rock) but he does not have the respect from real reggae fans, just the hip-hop and dancehall crew. How about Big Mountain or UB40, they have to do covers of oldies to get any media coverage, but they are watered down versions of reggae to begin with.
The reggae we love is not wordly (influenced by screwface) enough to be in the mainstream music world. Thank Jah for that!
April 06, 2004 11:25AM
-YES+ probley better this way. as a dj that does not take requests i* still get approaced @ many times to play something on request. this to i* would not be so bad if one: they did not ask for bob marley because thats all dey know -or two: asking for sean paul (@ a dub show)because thats all dey hear from media. before him it was shaggy & so on. its like babywrong almost set D whole deal up. holding the flood gate like hoover damm. even well known reggae record labels these days that have earned our trust by produceing many gold albums are in on the game now trying to get a slot on the rack @ virgin records(vinyl rack im talkin not cd section). again this would not be so bad if it was not the dirty crap dey be pushing. so much dat meets the i* in dis babywrong sound system slack attack. >1LUV*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login