Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Denroy Morgan Busted with 25 Pounds Of Marijuana

Posted by Daniel 
Denroy Morgan Busted with 25 Pounds Of Marijuana
September 16, 2011 09:00AM
Denroy Morgan Pot Bust: Reggae Star Questioning Leads Cops To 310 Pounds Of Marijuana

Police uncovered more than 300 pounds of marijuana in the Bronx on Wednesday, a discovery that led to the arrest of two men -- including former reggae artist Denroy Morgan.

The 66-year old, Jamaican-born Morgan came under investigation after he was seen leaving a building in the Soundview neighborhood of the Bronx, carrying what appeared to be a brick of marijuana.

Detectives then pulled Morgan over for running through a stop sign and not wearing his seatbelt. Officers detected the smell of marijuana coming from the car and after questioning, Morgan admitted to carrying marijuana in the trunk of his car. 25 pounds were found.

Officers later stopped Wayne Swavy, 46, after he was spotted leaving the same building on 1122 Taylor Avenue with a 16 pound bundle of marijuana. Police stopped his car and also charged him for failing to wear a seatbelt.

Police gained a search warrant and investigated the building, which led police to find over 310 pounds of marijuana, which is estimated to have a street value between $140,000 to $350,000.

Morgan's music became popular after his 1981 single, "I'll Do Anything for You," was released.

Original Source

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 11:02AM by Daniel.
Re: Denroy Morgan Busted with 310 Pounds Of Marijuana
September 16, 2011 09:06AM
When Denroy Morgan blew through a stop sign in the Bronx on Wednesday, he began a chain of events that ended with the arrest of two people and the discovery of a stash of shrink-wrapped bales of more than 300 pounds of marijuana.

Police officers say they pulled Mr. Denroy over for running the stop sign at around 4 p.m. Mr. Denroy, a former reggae star, was also charged with not wearing a seat belt.

There was also the matter of the pungent aroma of marijuana seeping out of the car.

The officers, detectives from the New York City Police Department’s Narcotics Borough Manhattan Tactical Response Team, were in the area on another investigation. They said they questioned Mr. Denroy, who indicated there was marijuana in the trunk. Two bags totaling 25 pounds were discovered.

Further investigation led the officers to 1122 Taylor Avenue, a two-story brick building in the Bronx. There, Wayne Swavy, 46, was seen exiting the building, the police say, with what may have been still more bundles of marijuana under his arm. Mr. Swavy got into a car, and he too was pulled over and charged with not wearing a seat belt.

He was also charged with criminal possession of the 16 pounds of marijuana he was found to be carrying.

A search warrant and an investigation of the house Mr. Swavy exited on Taylor Avenue later revealed 310 pounds of the drug, in bales and bags. The street value of the total 351-pound stash, which varies depending upon the drug’s potency, is estimated to have been between $140,000 to $350,000, the police said.
September 16, 2011 09:17AM
September 16, 2011 09:17AM
The lesson here is always wear a seat belt.
September 16, 2011 09:18AM
September 16, 2011 09:26AM
Chimino
The lesson here is always wear a seat belt.

required listening..

September 16, 2011 09:28AM
"Brick" of marijuana? What is this, 1967?

From the normally way over estimated value the cops put on the haul, and that description, sounds like some wine soaked ditch weed to me.

Foolish reggae star.

Not to mention the completely misleading subject line...nowhere does it say Morgan was arrested with 310 lbs of weed. You could have a promising career with Faux News.

Hey I'm OT Joe so its ok!!!
September 16, 2011 09:34AM
Ah, the things we californians miss out on....

I didn't write the article, I merely reposted it. I'm not sure what you mean by misleading given this line in the article:

"Police uncovered more than 300 pounds of marijuana in the Bronx on Wednesday"
September 16, 2011 09:59AM
OT_Joe
"Brick" of marijuana? What is this, 1967?

I thought they sold in "Lids" back then..
September 16, 2011 10:07AM
i think he is referring to the title of the post:

'Denroy Morgan Busted with 310 Pounds of Marijuana'
September 16, 2011 10:09AM
Wow Daniel, must have had a hard night at some Midnite snoozefest?

Let me be more specific:

You evidently wrote the subject of this thread, quote:

"Denroy Morgan Busted with 310 Pounds Of Marijuana"

Yet the article clearly states:

"Morgan admitted to carrying marijuana in the trunk of his car. 25 pounds were found."

It says absolutely nothing further to connect him with the 310 lbs found in the building.

I would think an educated person such as yourself would have picked up better reading comprehension skills over the years. Its hilarious that you even come back with that second post. Read the article again please.

edit: actually, reading the article again myself, it does appear the writer is lacking some basic reporting skills. His first sentence implies the weed was found and that led to the two men, one being Mr Morgan. But as the story unfolds, it is clear it was the other way around: the arrest of Morgan and the other man led the cops to the weed in the building. So Daniel might be excused for being confused, especially at the early hour he wrote the subject line. Still...the point remains: Morgan was not busted with 310 pounds of weed. Period.

OK my work here is done

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 10:17AM by OT_Joe.
September 16, 2011 10:19AM
Good work, Joe. You've accomplished a great task here.
September 16, 2011 10:22AM
Chimino I appreciate your standing up for truth and rights instead of just accepting rumours and gossip (and misleading subject lines). Nuff respect.

OK now my work is truly done here.

September 16, 2011 10:37AM
i suspect though that denroy wasnt the informer which lead to the additional find....

police and their pr spin.. just makes for a better story.. gives the police a better face assigning some informer business to a high profile person..

the real story will probably be given by denroy...
September 16, 2011 10:55AM
OT_Joe
It says absolutely nothing further to connect him with the 310 lbs found in the building.

From the article, here's the apparent connection to the 310 lbs:

The 66-year old, Jamaican-born Morgan came under investigation after he was seen leaving a building in the Soundview neighborhood of the Bronx, carrying what appeared to be a brick of marijuana.

I bet its the same building where the 310 lbs was found, what a coincidence. How's my logic here?

And, Daniel didnt write that title, it was written by someone at the Global Grind and is misleading although it may turnout that the 310 lbs was Denroy's personal stash.

Anyway, I remember that song "I'll do anything for you" when it first came out and I have that record back in my pile of vinyl in the back room. Nice disco tune for sure.

September 16, 2011 10:58AM
how u going 2 roll dirty and not were ya seatbelt................wtf how stupid can ya bsmoking smiley
btw good tings dont come in bricks.............. lol bammer..............................................................................

=Every- Thing- Blessed----=B-Dank-=-----
September 16, 2011 11:02AM
Your kids are millionaires dummy!!!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
September 16, 2011 11:07AM
Danny Crucial

you think so? i would at least expect that they live comfortable lives..
September 16, 2011 11:20AM
bigvein
Danny Crucial

you think so? i would at least expect that they live comfortable lives..

i suspect the only millionaires in reggae music(as artists) would be:

all the marleys(except for julian)... lets not consider trust money but strictly consider the artist draw alone..
shaggy
sean paul
buju
kartel(if not, then he is close)
September 16, 2011 11:23AM
No Fear!

Re: Denroy Morgan Busted with 25 Pounds Of Marijuana
September 16, 2011 11:56AM
well at least daniel will be able to sleep well tonight knowing that OT_Joe is satisfied with the thread title....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
September 16, 2011 01:39PM
I am really saddened to read this story. Although it seems like a big mistake for Denroy to take such obvious risks, I am really concerned he could spend a good part of the rest of his life in prison which seems like an abomination. I believe Denroy is an American citizen since he has lived in the NY, Massachusetts, Connecticut area for so many years. In my opinion, Denroy exemplies Binghi rasta to a tee and I just find it so sad to see someone like that (as well as others) go to jail for ganja.

My heart and prayers go out to all the Morgans.
September 16, 2011 01:59PM
Way to go Rhythmwize, another blow to literacy in this country. Your post is completely illogical as to how DM was busted with 310 lbs of weed. Because, simply put, he was not.

Not to mention your reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking as well:

>And, Daniel didnt write that title, it was written by someone at the Global Grind

Wrong, that someone did not write the subject header to this thread...the one originally there not the post-edit one that currently appears. Note I am NOT referring to the title of the article itself.

You're all welcome. Anytime I can be of assistance just send up the OT-Joe signal and I will be there for truth, rights and the American way. Well, at least truth and rights.

Anyway its sad to see reggae "stars" stoop to buying bush weed, thats all I can say. But I guess in NYC, like in London, the range of choices are pretty slim. Still cracks me up to read that value estimate: the way I figure it that weed was valued at 500 - 1000$ per pound. That means someone harvested it from a ditch in Iowa somewhere.

September 16, 2011 02:35PM
might be unknown to most, but brick is what 90% of the usa is familiar with, not hi gradez.
September 16, 2011 02:51PM
We in California just cant grow enough Hi-Grade to educate the entire country, rest assured we are working on it.
September 16, 2011 03:07PM
@ BV 1 Ini Kamoze song alone garnered him multiple mills. From what I hear Beres lives like absolute royalty. Snow musta made a mil on Informer. Diana King had to have made at least a mil from "Shy Guy". Gramps seemingly walks around in $50,000 in jewelry alone. I'd be surprised if Peetah and Gramps haven't at least made a million.

September 16, 2011 03:35PM
money is in publishing
not sure the artists you named owned their own(hopefully)
but there are so many expenses that record labels take back from profits
video shoots, publicity campaigns , tour bus etc.. that in the end they may be thousandaires
a
September 16, 2011 03:43PM
UB40 sold over 70,000,000 records

September 16, 2011 03:46PM
If Kamoze or King only made a buck per album, they got at least a mil.

September 16, 2011 03:55PM
points to consider....

#1) a million is not what it used to be

#2) the artists/songs u refer to are all cross over hits

#3) herbs are most likely 500x more profitable than music
September 16, 2011 04:44PM
b.ghost
points to consider....

#1) a million is not what it used to be

#2) the artists/songs u refer to are all cross over hits

#3) herbs are most likely 500x more profitable than music

1. Word, besides doesn't denroy have something like 30+ children. That's a big chunk o child support.

2.Word again, what are the chances artists like sizzla and capleton whom have extensive catalouges with big tunes( a few of which could be considered reggae music anthems) are in the millionaire club.

3. Double word, and I'm sure cocaine is even more profitable than that. Just ask Buju.
September 16, 2011 04:50PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 01:09AM by IYah_Trod.
September 16, 2011 09:08PM

from his performance at Reggae on the River

at that time Gramps was a baby.

September 17, 2011 08:55AM
Thanks for the info Bingi Ghost, I didn't realize a compressed "brick" was still the stock in trade for most areas. I thought by now most had the same level of sophistication that is common in Cali. Probably should have known better. Compressed herb = bushtrash in my mind.

And Iyah_Trod, I hear you on the Mex thing but to think things are any different in JA just doesnt really make sense. True Mexico gets all the press these days but drug smuggling from anywhere has always been a nasty business and by buying that stuff you are supporting the same people bringing coke and smack and killing people left and right. Thats why Cali is so blessed other than the illegal grows here by illegal people that still get people killed on a regular basis. Thats not to point to illegals exclusively; if you have been keeping up with the news you know right now in Ft Bragg Mendocino there is a nutjob on the loose protecting his herb and opium poppy fields by killing two people so far, two known people that is...

I am still kinda shocked at the low value attributed to the weed they seized, especially for NYC...I thought the prices there were through the roof even for gak weed.

September 17, 2011 09:12AM
Please in addition to all the analysis, let's also think about the fact that Denroy, a staunch Rastafarian and contributer to the reggae foundation (I am especially thinking about the cd Theocracy Reign) is facing serious charges possibly putting him in jail for a major part of the rest of his life. This is very sad and in my opinion worth additional discussion over and above brick vs high grade. I am not criticizing just pointing out as a reggae and Rastafarian community there is serious consequences here and I hope we all pray for the best. Denroy is no criminal and living in prison would truly be a harsh and unnecessary punishment.
September 17, 2011 09:18AM
I agree Sis, but 25 lbs is a serious business, bhingi ras or not.

Carrying that kinda weight, while smoking and driving w/o a seatbelt is just dumb. Pray for his guidance and protection, but mostly pray that others are not so foolish.

Peace.
September 17, 2011 10:11AM
Sista Irie
Please in addition to all the analysis, let's also think about the fact that Denroy, a staunch Rastafarian and contributer to the reggae foundation (I am especially thinking about the cd Theocracy Reign) is facing serious charges possibly putting him in jail for a major part of the rest of his life. This is very sad and in my opinion worth additional discussion over and above brick vs high grade. I am not criticizing just pointing out as a reggae and Rastafarian community there is serious consequences here and I hope we all pray for the best. Denroy is no criminal and living in prison would truly be a harsh and unnecessary punishment.
Yes it is a sad thing that this man might well spend the rest of his life if prison over some herb, but the fact of the matter is he chose to engage in illegal business( no matter how foolish it is that herb should have criminal penalties). When you pla the game you should except the fact that you just might lose. I feel sorry for those doing time over their medicine or recreation, sounds to me like Mr. Morgan made a carrer decision
September 17, 2011 10:14AM
I am not promoting breaking the law or saying it was not foolish. I am merely saying what is done is done and the consequences of a bad decision are much harsher than what the action deserves. If this was cocaine or heroin I would have a different view, however, I just don't believe a person should spend the rest of their life (or good portion thereof) for ganja of any amount. What happened was foolish- no doubt, but I still feel very sad for Denroy and the family as he was also involved in alot of positive good works.

isn't 25 pounds about the size of two bowling balls? doesn't seem like that much to me but then I am exposed to large quantities during my years in Jamaica.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 10:16AM by Sista Irie.
September 17, 2011 10:34AM
Respect OT_Joe

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 01:37AM by IYah_Trod.
September 17, 2011 10:37AM
he's not facing "Life" over this, and it'd be very unusual if he ever did face any hard time. he will of course submit to the states mountains of probationary paperwork i'm sure.

Sis irie....im hearing you about the mans works and all his good deeds but......he's a elder RAS and he of anyone knows he shouldnt have let his guard down while rolling in the beast.
September 17, 2011 12:36PM
Sista Irie, For perspective, if Mr. Morgan rolled that quantity up into spliffs weighing a bit more than a gram a piece, he'd have some 10,000 bones to share.
September 17, 2011 01:31PM
Yes, give thanks to all perspectives. I hope you are right about not serving hard time but I find that difficult to believe. I was once a spiritual advisor to a federal prison that specifically housed Caribbean inmates and the majority of them were there for ganja and not necessarily large amounts. That was ten years ago so maybe things are more lenient but I am concerned none the less.

B Ghost, I hear what you are saying about rolling with the beast, however, my husband is also an elder binghi dread. He has lived in this country (in Texas no less) for 21 years. However, I find with many elder Ras, they often feel the inborn right to herb and due to that can be careless more than one born in the US.

I am not trying to promote what is right or wrong in this thread. I am only saying that as a group of people who believe in Rastafari and reggae music, I was hoping that there would be as much concern for Denroy's life as there would be analysis on the other issues. To me, the biggest issue is putting a man away in prison for herb. I hope and pray B Ghost is correct and he will get probation...but time will tell.
September 17, 2011 04:49PM
I am feeling upfull for i-denroy also sis. Feeling this is not gonna put him away, just add another shackle for the rest of his life.... nice video interview I posted above.
September 17, 2011 05:34PM
aquaponics
No Fear!

Yes I, Grant I some leniency...Prayerfully, Upfully*
March 26, 2012 04:16PM
been listening to some morgan heritage today and was reminded of this...any developments?

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login