Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Underappreciated artists

Posted by Mission Sound 
Underappreciated artists
September 30, 2011 09:49PM
Consider this a place to expose to the masses artists you feel don't give the love and respect they deserve.

I'll start with two:

Ras Shiloh

One of the most powerful voices of his era, who I was certain initially would rise to the same heights of the others that broke in with him. But since stepped on the scene strong, his production has stagnated to the point that he's nearly unheard of anymore. Unfortunate because his positive message, gift for singing and knack for getting on great riddims could have led him to the heights long ago.

Raw Deal

There's likely more hope still for this man getting the props he deserves, because he's still relatively active. But an artist with such a unique and strong voice like his should be getting on many more riddims than he is currently. Not to mention the massive tunes he's capable of making when he does get proper promotion. But with no album, and only showing up intermittently on riddims makes me wonder if he'll ever rise to the heights I believe he deserves to ascend to.

Feel free to go forth and voice your opinion on who else needs to get more love. Or rate the artists being discussed.
Re: Underappreciated artists
September 30, 2011 10:28PM
Oh, I could name dozens of artists that I think would fit this description, but here's one to start with....

Integrity
Quality
Unity and
Love for
Africa as
Home,
September 30, 2011 10:34PM
i had shiloh in northern cal in 1999 as part of a showcase i put together at chico state

he had a lot of promise, and talent

at the time he had already reacorded "onto zion" but it had either just barely released or was about to release

that tune is a good example of his work... brilliant in parts, and terrible in others

this is a kid who had so much to offer but he did not work well with producers who could have helped him harness his gifts

instead, more than 10 years later, he has sporadic and occasional recordings and appearances

same with jahmali

why?

because these kids sing about not getting swell-headed but it's usually the first thing that happens

the start asking to fly first class so they can fit their ego in the planes with them

otherwise i agree with daniel

endless list

ones i mention the most are freddy mckay and george faith
September 30, 2011 10:39PM
September 30, 2011 10:44PM
here is one that i am 100% certain daniel and i agree on:

i still hope to see ossie given the chance to perform at snwmf; i think he'd be a very pleasant surprise to many.

so many unheralded greats, keith poppin being the first to come to mind. and he's likely available to play this fest as well.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
September 30, 2011 11:16PM
LUTAN FYAH
September 30, 2011 11:17PM
Great insight so nice. Its unfortunate that Shiloh fell victim to the perils that his music stood against. Thanks for shining a little more light on the issue though
September 30, 2011 11:18PM
face668
LUTAN FYAH

Eh? Please explain.
September 30, 2011 11:41PM
I don't know him well, but Ras Shiloh has donated his time to several fundraisers for a school
in Shashamene i am involved in. seemed like a good bredrin when i met him on TEVA tour awhile back
a

September 30, 2011 11:51PM
I'm not trying to assassinate his character, nor do i feel that was the intention of so nice.

But as it pertains to RS. It's a blessed thing he is humble enough today to donate his time. I think a fair question would be to ask whether or not he would be doing the same thing a decade ago when he was on track to becoming one of the more well known artists of his generation. its one thing to donate time when your time has largely passed. its another to donate time when your in high demand.
October 01, 2011 01:45AM
Ras Shiloh, like Terry Linen, is a good singer who sounds a little too much like truly GREAT singer (in this case, Garnett Silk) to truly buss to that next level. Kinda like King Kong or Red Rose in the singjay school. Bushman did it after initially sounding like a Luciano clone, but it is rare.
October 01, 2011 02:52AM
i would say Terry Linen is another of my top underappreciated artists

next to the mighty mighty ROGER ROBIN

two real singers right there

adam that's good for what shiloh did, and he was very nice a couple times when i met him and not so much a couple times

i will never know almost any of these people as people
October 01, 2011 07:43AM
Bobby Kalphat.
Lloyd Daley.
October 01, 2011 02:47PM
KALI BLAXX!!!!! wish i knew how to post a video.. ive never heard a bad song from him
October 01, 2011 05:02PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 05:09PM by iriebarto.
October 02, 2011 05:51AM
October 03, 2011 06:05PM
Joe White
Rudy Mills
Norman Brown
Little Roy
Monty Morris
Tyrone Evans
Lillian Allen
Errol Blackwood
Robert FFrench
Horace Martin
Junior English
Lascelles Perkins
Lambert Douglas
Jo Jo Bennett
Bobby Melody
Jackie Brown
Big Joe
Milton Henry
Desi Roots
October 03, 2011 06:49PM
I would put Junior Kelly and Terry Linen pretty high up on my list of underappreciated/underrated artists
October 03, 2011 08:39PM
How about Frankie Paul!! I haven't seen him at any Nor Cal Festivals... Hopefully soooonnnn! He is getting up there in age
October 03, 2011 08:44PM
SoulJah123
How about Frankie Paul!!

Rewind!

thumbs up
October 04, 2011 12:56AM
nice list papa ken...
special forwards for Little Roy, Joe White and Milton Henry.
October 04, 2011 07:50PM
Winston Jarrett

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
October 05, 2011 04:29PM
eddy grant
grace jones
October 05, 2011 04:35PM
Can we get a discussion of perhaps why some folks deem these artists as underappreciated? Nuff people throwing out names. Yet no talk of how or why these artists do not get the respect they may deserve. Otherwise this will turn into another variation of who should be brought to the next summer's festival.
October 05, 2011 04:42PM
My support of Iqulah is because he consistently puts out quality roots materials that seem to get no props from radio and club DJs. I would say the same about MK's selection of Ossie Dellimore.....
October 06, 2011 04:40AM
I say Kali blaxx cuz because whenever I mention him to someone new, they never heard.. and i mean real reggae heads and djs too... He brings positive vibes and seems underheard.. and yes I do believe he'd be a great performer for next snwmf.. but I just think not enough have heard him
October 06, 2011 05:12AM
I'll add, in my humble opinion, Batch. A heretical breddrin if ever there was one. Ive had no business dealings with the man but he has PIPES and has always been humble and respectful of anyone I've ever been in his presence with.
October 06, 2011 06:30AM
Harry Mo
October 06, 2011 06:56AM
Man called "Face 2 Face"....

October 06, 2011 07:56AM
Daniel
My support of Iqulah is because he consistently puts out quality roots materials that seem to get no props from radio and club DJs. I would say the same about MK's selection of Ossie Dellimore.....

IRIE BIG UP DANIEL & ALL ...

Yes IQULAH BIIIG Artist & ROOTS RASTAFARI REGGAE MUZIK ... Yes Yes is truth We Don't listen Nuff IQULAH MUZIK pon FM or TV ... What I Love & Raspect With IQULAH is ... Him neva sit & Wait ... Him Always Inna di World Spreading JAH RASTAFARI LIVITY ... With The NajaVibes We Back Him Up last Year for One HISTORIKAL Live Night ... Also EARL SIXTEEN , RALDO & QUIQUE NEIRA was There ...

Yes 100% RASPECT RASTAMAN IQULAH ... RASTAFARI ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 07:59AM by asher selector.
October 06, 2011 08:08AM
Stamina!
nice list papa ken...
special forwards for Little Roy, Joe White and Milton Henry.

was thinking the same thing Stamina

+

Horace Martin
Jackie Brown
Big Joe
Desi Roots aka Desmond Young

October 06, 2011 10:10AM
bigvein: eddy grant
grace jones

You must be kidding. They are not reggae artists at all.
October 06, 2011 11:26AM
zoki
bigvein: eddy grant
grace jones

You must be kidding. They are not reggae artists at all.

coming from the king of all things serious ? really ?
October 06, 2011 02:17PM
Really.

They are pop singers.
October 06, 2011 03:59PM
Bugle

Because he consistently puts out BIG tunes and is probably one of the most versatile artists out there. By that I mean he could rock a party, stage show, east west, north or south. He has nuff positive tunes in an era when few popular dj's are. YET I never really hear fans of bashment, culture or roots really asking for a live show from him (out west)

October 06, 2011 04:11PM
My choice for an underappreciated artists i know is "Jallanzo" musician, singer, song writer, producer, studio engineer, music composer and arranger. I believe he has some excellent music and talent that few people have been exposed to. Here are a couple of my favorite chunes by Jallanzo...

October 06, 2011 04:19PM
Groundation. Especially on this board. Let the truth wash over you.
October 06, 2011 04:27PM
Ninja
Bugle

Because he consistently puts out BIG tunes and is probably one of the most versatile artists out there. By that I mean he could rock a party, stage show, east west, north or south. He has nuff positive tunes in an era when few popular dj's are. YET I never really hear fans of bashment, culture or roots really asking for a live show from him (out west)

TB.. was checking your 'Morningstar' mix last night while bathing the youth.

I can see you check for Bugle nuff.. just based on that mix alone.. My tune on the mix has to be Bugle - In Loving Memories..

I played that tune on repeat for a about an hour last night.. Really... Love that tune..
October 06, 2011 04:28PM
Yellowberry, good draw on Jallanzo, agreed he's a very underrated artist...

As for the artists I chose earlier, Junior Kelly and Terry Linen - both have been at it a long time and done some classic tunes, yet seem to go largely ignored. Both artists also put on an excellent live show that deserves to be seen more
October 06, 2011 04:40PM
BIG TUNE...
October 10, 2011 05:30PM
not really a reggae guy but "Warning" by Desi Roots sounded pretty great....who is he???
October 10, 2011 06:52PM
c'Mon bluesman, its "entertainment meets lifestyle."
October 10, 2011 07:59PM
ini never hear of Jr.P round these parts except when I call for a SNWMF appearance. Jr. P has worked with every VI artist and produces massive tunes on his own riddims (Tru Vibez Music). If you don't know, here's a sample:

[www.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login