Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whats the food situation @ SNWMF

Posted by Chimino 
Whats the food situation @ SNWMF
April 04, 2004 05:23AM
One thing which really impressed me when attending my first ROTR last year was the availability & accessibility of hot food...especially vegetarian options (I am vegan). What is the situation like at Angels Camp and how does it compare? Will I starve if I don't bring my own?
Zana
Re: Whats the food situation @ SNWMF
April 04, 2004 10:50AM
I've never been to ROTR but the food at SNWMF is abundant and good. There are many choices, especially for those who do not eat meat. You will not starve. In fact, I remember seeing a Vegan food vendor there too.
But, if you like coffee in the morning and don't want to wait in a long line for it, I suggest you bring your own. I'm bringing my camping stove and a coffee press.
sisterlil
April 04, 2004 11:55AM
We do that too. We bring our own coffee, but then we go wait in line with our coffee and get other coffee...
April 04, 2004 07:20PM
Thanks Zana, that helps me out alot.
LOL@sislil. That's interesting. I work for Peets so perhaps I should bring my own coffee (others just ain't the same).

Blessings
Zana
April 04, 2004 07:55PM
Peets. Exactly. That is all I will allow to cross my palat. Ethiopian Fancy is my favorite. I only drink Peets. Yummmy!!!
Ian
April 04, 2004 09:22PM
Personally, I prefer the mate de coca I brought back from Peru. It's much healthier and packs a better punch then coffee. I have a stash I plan to bring to SNWMF2004 for those dreadfully painful mornings. Coca tea is the best!
April 05, 2004 09:36AM
THE FOOD SITUATION IS AWSOME!!!!!
TRUST

Happy Trails
April 06, 2004 08:36AM
mmm..... hemp-pesto pizza.... mmm... salmon.... mmmmm mmmmm gyros.... mmmmm
April 06, 2004 09:50AM
Hah, well Zana if you're ever in the vicinity of the Claremont Hotel, stop by the Peets across the street there and Nat will hook you up.
Pale Ryder
April 06, 2004 10:45AM
Great food, but very expensive. Personally I like to buy a bunch of food with my friends and just cook big meals for everyone in the camp. If you just eat what is at the fest you will end up spending 20-30 dollars a day of food, well if you eat as much as I do......
flip
April 06, 2004 11:21AM
bring some of your own food to save some money....it is hard to resist the food though....very very good....
April 06, 2004 01:38PM
Bring Food and buy food...red snapper...rice & peas...gyros...pesto pizza...organic salads w/ hummus. There are some yummy options available, but if you eat a lot then bring food too otherwise it does get really expensive.
April 08, 2004 09:00AM
This post makes me hungry. For those that do eat meat - the jerk chicken with red beans and rice and fried plantains is awesome!(hope they'll be back!) Sisterlil you crack me up - I too have wandered into line bearing coffee. Kinda the festival equiv. as hangin at the coffee house...
April 08, 2004 09:29AM
I LOVE FOOD! =~)

Happy Trails
Zana
April 08, 2004 11:28AM
I had the Jamaican red beans and rice last year and it has a weird, off taste to it. I've ate it before at a differnt festival and it was good but last year, yuck! Maybe it was leftovers, I don't know, but I won't eat it again this year. The food is expensive so I try to bring most of mine. Flour tortillas, refried beans, cheese, and salsa make a great, easy meal. I don't own a gas stove, only a little camping/backpacking stove so I don't do any thing elaborate.
Can't go wrong with pb&j sandwiches either. But the one indulgence I love is getting the Kettle Corn and chilllin on the grass. Good times.
Zana
April 08, 2004 11:37AM
two words, BEAN PIE

It is one of the unsolved mysteries of the world, how he makes those navy beans taste so good. Get it early, he sells out quick.
April 08, 2004 02:16PM
Always have to have kettle corn before going back to camp..
LOL
April 08, 2004 02:19PM
Bun is on point! The Bean Pie Man is the bomb! Nothin' like a little pie and that peach cobbler. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Pale Ryder
April 08, 2004 04:15PM
never had a bean pie, I am going to have to make it a point to try it, the pizza is the bomb though!
Zana
April 08, 2004 04:55PM
Do you get the bean pie from the same vendor who sells the sweet potato pie?
Those did look good.
I will have to try them this year is they are vending.
I wish (or is there?) a pasta salad vendor. Cold pasta salad and a beer would be delicious. Or, I could always just bring my own. Newmans balsamic vinegarett makes the best seasoning for pasta salad. Add some olives, feta cheese, fresh tomatos and basil. Yummy!
April 08, 2004 05:49PM
I don't know if there will be any pasta salad, but Newman's Balsamic is killer.

Yeah you get the sweet potato pie from the same guy. He is called The Bean Pie Man. I actually just called him and he said he called the staff about 30 minutes ago to let them know his vending money was on the way. He will definitely be there along with his good friends from Stone's Jamaican Food. He has a variety of killer desserts and ships worldwide. Unfortunately he is not up on the web yet, but he can send out a menu for phone orders. Just asked for one when we spoke. He'll have all his usuals and a couple of surprises possibly. He mentioned cheesecake that he says is so good it will make you slap your mama. I can't wait!!!!!!!!

fourtwentyplenty

p.s. With a username like mine you know I'll be looking for his sign!
jb welda
April 08, 2004 10:47PM
whats his phone number?

one love
jah bill
April 09, 2004 10:44AM
His phone number is 323-293-9447. The card says his name is Bilal Muhammad. Let me know how it goes.

fourtwentyplenty
April 09, 2004 02:42PM
I always make my own pasta salad when we are there. Zana you are then welcome to stop by.
Some years I have brought tons of food and cooked the whole time I was there and provided meals to friends and family. But last year we brought food to snack on, but we ate alot at the festival. And I ened up having so much more fun that way. but when your on a tight budget, bringing light easy to fix meals is the best thing. I am doing both this year. Bringing easy to fix stuff and having meals up at the show.. I can't wait... smiling smiley
April 16, 2004 11:35AM
I would say to go for the Ital Breakfast from one of the Ital food places, Can't remember the name, trainwrecked, but I didn't have any swirl belly problems the whole weekend. The place is up the hill, and on the top ramp looking down at the Main stage, I've gotta pic of it somewhere, I will look, but ITAL stay ITAL at SNWMF.
jb welda
April 16, 2004 12:04PM
ital wadadi

its great

one love
jah bill
Zana
April 16, 2004 02:43PM
I've been exploring Ital cooking. There is a great vegan breakfast "omlete" that uses garbanzo bean flour. I tried it out and it is really yummy!
I got the recipe off of [www.earthcultureroots.com]

Ital omelette

Ingredients:
1/4 cup chickpea flour (garbanzo bean)
3/4 cup water
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 onion
1 or 2 potatoes (depends how hungry you are)
1 broccoli stalk (or other vegetable; You can experiment)
1 tsp olive oil

Directions:
This recipe sounds kind of gross, but you have to make it to appreciate how wonderful it is.
Make a mixture with water and chickpea flour in such a proportion to get an 'egg-like' batter. Start with 1/2 cup of water, add the chickpea flour, stirring constantly, and progressively increase the amount of water and chickpea flour until you get about 1 cup of batter. The amounts I have indicated above are approximate. Season it with salt and pepper. Boil the potatos 'al-dente', then slice.
In a pan, stir-fry the onion (sliced) in 1 TSP. of olive oil. Add the sliced potatos and stir until golden. Add the broccoli florets and pour the batter along the vegetables. Put a lid on top and simmer until the bottom is golden, then turn (a plate can help - if the pan is non-stick it will make the turn a lot easier) and cook the other side.
Serve hot or cold.
Stevo
April 16, 2004 07:41PM
bean pie...............
There's a place in Oakland, authentic black muslim cuisine stylee.....and from what I've heard, their bean pie is not equalled. Anyone know the place? I can't remember the name. Near downtown. Never had the pie either, but I'm tellin' you I hear about their bean pie from all kind a people, and I don't even live in Oaktown. Must be something else.
-Stevo
April 17, 2004 07:36AM
The Black Muslim Bakery is in Emeryville, near thecorner of Powell & San Pablo. They have a stand @ the Oakland Coliseum also, not sure if it sells bean pie tho (but its veggie burgers are the ish!)

April 18, 2004 06:52PM
(doing my best Homer Simpson impression) mmmm, Pie for the People... (drool)
Fish
April 18, 2004 07:52PM
Yeah, the Bean Pie man's stuff is tops. That Antiguan place made some killer fried fish, only problem is it's expensive . . .
April 19, 2004 11:15AM
Hey jb, what ever happened with The Bean Pie Man or were you just poking fun at me?

fourtwentyplenty
jb welda
April 19, 2004 11:42AM
a) havent called him yet and
b) thought others might be interested in the phone number.

one love
jah bill
April 19, 2004 11:54AM
jahbill - if he delivers order me a couple.
April 23, 2004 03:13PM
Mouthwatering bean pies. Mmmmmmmm......where's my menu Bean Pie Man?

Post Edited (04-23-04 15:13)

fourtwentyplenty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login