Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite live show

Posted by jps 
jps
Midnite live show
April 13, 2012 07:57PM
Going to see Midnite here in North Carolina in 2 weeks and was wondering what to expect. It was many years ago in D.C. since I was last able to see them live. I'm pretty sure Ron is still playing with Vaughn, right? Who else makes up the band?

I have all of the early Midnite albums, but honestly the last one I bought is probably Let Live. Got a little behind with all of the albums coming out and the spoken word type songs. Got very excited recently from the Kings Bell album and am very much looking forward to this show.

I guess my question is that are they going to be performing a bunch of recent tracks where I will feel very lost or do they still dig deep and play a lot of older tracks as well.
Re: Midnite live show
April 13, 2012 08:12PM
Well, I saw them live 3 times in 2011, and they pretty much play all of their older stuff with a couple of newer ones thrown in. But it seems like they change up some of the rhythms for some of those old ones, i.e. Lion Wears the Crown. They also tend to weave in and out of songs, like they'll start with one song, then veer in to another, then come back to where they started. Not sure who the band is besides Ron & Vaughn, but they seem to get better each time I see them. You're in for a treat!
April 13, 2012 10:09PM
The Midnite band consists of:

Vaughn Benjamin - Words & Vocals
Ron Benjamin - Bass & Vocals
Christian (Sly) Molia-Curet - Drums
Edmund Fieulleteau - Guitar
Ras L - Keyboards, Background Vocals
Edwin Byron - Guitar

If you want to know what they sound like live, give a listen to their live album.....
April 14, 2012 03:06AM
they did a live stream last night from saint rocke and did a nice mix of tunes...pretty much exactly what reggabe said. was the same way when i saw em a few months ago in sd
April 14, 2012 11:09AM
Looking forward to the show in S.F. next week!
April 14, 2012 12:14PM
Expect a lack of energy and a more monotone style singing.. haha sorry i really cant listen to himanymore.. been to a few of his shows .. in fact hes playing in town, even for something to do i wouldnt go
jps
April 15, 2012 05:29PM
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think the monotone thing was the main reason I didn't keep up with them for a while. I love all of the old stuff though when in my opinion, there was a lot more singing and harmonies. Haven't picked up the King's Bell album yet but the soundclips sound nice.

The last time I saw them live had to be almost 7 or 8 years ago in a small venue in D.C. and it was a great show.
April 15, 2012 06:26PM
Midnight will play in Sacramento on 25th at Harllow. I just moved here in Sac area and this will be my first live music since i moved here.
April 15, 2012 09:43PM
Glad someone agrees on the monotone thing.. i was totally expecting tons of attacks.. but every one has the right to an opinion .. and i wouldnt say it if it wasn't from my heart
April 16, 2012 08:45AM
Welcome to the Sac area Tarzan! See ya at the show smiling smiley
April 17, 2012 12:43AM
Thanks VgVgirl thumbs up , see u at the show.
April 17, 2012 04:41PM
I don't agree with the lack of energy comment, and Vaughn's lyrics are WAY deeper than most can comprehend....
April 17, 2012 05:51PM
Midnite in Portland ~ 4/20 @ Wonder Ballroom

original artwork by King Toby
King Toby painted the picture, photographed it, and this is the resulting product... give thanks

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 17, 2012 09:45PM
No doubt the deep lyrics.. and he has energy.. just a different kind.. much respect
April 18, 2012 10:18AM
Respect the same way iriebarto. I refrained from jumping on you 'cause like you say, everyone has their own opinions. I'm just always really surprised when a fan of reggae says they don't like Midnite. Bless.
April 24, 2012 03:44PM
Nothing better than MIDNITE!!! My favorite band of all time!! If they are within a 12 hour drive i am there. I have been following them on this tour and saw them in Grants Pass on my birthday april 19th, portland for the 420 show. Seattle 4/21 and i am stoked for San Fran and Sac the next two nights!!!! Only the opening song Jah Ova has been played each time. Otherwise havent heard the same song twice. On 420 they ended with an amazing performance of Mongst I&I great song. They continue to blow me away and i dont understand how people dont feel their energy. Vaughn and Ron are amazing and i look forward to seeing them headline sunday night at Reggae on the River!!! Now if i only could get them to come back to Bend, OR so i didnt have to travel to see them all the time! If you are thinking about seeing MIDNITE tonight in San Fran or in Sac tomorrow night dont think buy your ticket. You will be blown away!!!
April 24, 2012 06:08PM
See ya'll tonite!
Re: Midnite live show - Chico Tour date 4/26
April 27, 2012 05:40PM
Midnite lovers,

What can you say about a show that starts(headliner) at 1.005am and goes till the last call?(1:45) 40 min for $30.!
To tell the whole story. Midnite sounded Irie! It was too much pre-show filler that caused the heartburn. The production
crew that included the dancing troupe was out of place. It came close to a slackness production as hot pants NFL styled cheer leading
women did a sexy dance act. Truly, I could see the appeal of this performance with a slacker headliner. Truly, beautiful women dancing
with purpose will make men drink more alcohol .

But we came to hear Midnite.
April 27, 2012 09:33PM
this is why we have NO OPENER in our Midnite productions here...
uh, ONE of the reasons...
video from 4/20 soon come

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
April 27, 2012 10:17PM

Mongst I&I

Love The Life You Live
live / Wonder Ballroom/ 4/20/12 / -vidbybill

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
April 27, 2012 10:20PM
Midnite / Wonder Ballroom / 4/20/12 / bePortland.com

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
April 27, 2012 10:25PM
few pics from IrieEyeMedia
IrieEyeMedia ReggaeBlog fb page
IrieEyeMedia dot com

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
April 28, 2012 01:29PM

4/20

IrieEyeMedia.com

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
April 29, 2012 11:27PM
nice footy RD thumbs up
May 01, 2012 10:01AM
It definitely is a different show then the first time I saw them at Angel's Camp...Back then they were bubbling with a unique sound. Now the shows are irie-chill and almost dream-like. He has some of the greatest lyrics-deepest words of anyone. But a couple of those albums they don't put anything into the beat. bing-bong bing sounds like a ringtone. I wish they would make their riddims more complicated. Pick-it-up a bit....More people would like them, and thus I don't think they have reached their full potential. Vaugn have so much things to say.
May 02, 2012 12:01PM
I saw the same Midnite show as Mr. Bassie in Chico last week. They came on at 1:05 PM and since by CA. state law clubs need to be shut down by 2, it was a 40 minute show. Many folks came from out of town and at $30 we're obviously disappointed. I'm thinking this was more due to the club and not the band but I hope this experience would discourage Midnite from playing this venue again. I loved the music but left frustrated that after a few songs all the lights went on and the crowd was told to get out as quickly as possible.
May 02, 2012 04:23PM
All headliners should be on the stage before "midnight". Not quite sure why reggae bands find this so hard to fathom, but part of the problem at Lost On Main is the place doesn't even open until 9, and nobody's in the place usually until closer to 10:30 or 11.

Chico's a bit retarded when it comes to club shows. Assuming a 3 act show: opener is on stage at 9 and off by 9:45 (hear me Kyle?). It's up to them to draw a crowd, but a band playing will get folks inside faster than rambling dj sets. 2nd act plays 10-11, leaving a whopping 2.5 hours for the headliner, so plenty of time for a break etc, - and no "lights on, get out" attitude. LaSalles usually has something going on outside on the patio so their late starts make sense - Lost needs to get a friggin clue and open the doors for happy hour times (more than the occasional rarity), or at least by 8!

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
May 02, 2012 04:31PM
When it comes to Midnite, i think the majority of their fans would say whatever puts them on the stage for longer is good. Since we all know they play three hour shows regularly, most of those fans would rather hear Midnite for three hours than any opening act.

Love that reggae!
May 02, 2012 04:32PM

All headliners should be on the stage before "midnight". Not quite sure why reggae bands find this so hard to fathom

Most of the time, bands come on at the hour set for them by the promoter. I've been to quite a few Midnite shows where the promoter had so many 'opening acts', that it was midnight (or later) before the 'headliner' took the stage. It's one thing where you have a 'headliner' that's only got about 30-45 minutes of tunes to lay down but why someone would do that with a band that 'typically' likes to play for 3 hours is beyond me......
May 02, 2012 10:26PM
an interesting commentary on the Midnite/Dead Prez show, New Orleans, Fri 4/27... [from Facebook]

Sticman Deadprez

What a fiasco! When the promoter was so late we had to skip sound check I knew what it was. Midnite the Reggae Band ripped their set with some great roots and culture tunes! We were vining in the green room to their show heavy. Then they came into the green room and it got even GREENER. Super neon kermit the frog Nayabingi Green if u know what I mean. So green the smoke alarm set off. And the Babylon came in. Shut everything down before we got a chance to rock. So we ended up meeting and greeting those 4am super loyal supporters that stick around even after Babylon came. We should everyone's hand one by one and chopped it up. They were understanding. But it sucked to be there and not rock! The promoter dropped the ball on promo, proper protocol in the green room and the stage time was RIDICULOUS. but that's rap life sometimes. Lame promoters mess it up for the artists and the fans/supporters.
But I let it roll off like water on a Seal's spine. Lol
We will be back for redemption!

#rasta but gangsta lololol

#nuff good vibes still seen?
Unlike · · Share · April 28 at 6:24am via mobile ·

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
May 03, 2012 09:16AM
It works both ways.........
It can be the artist or the promoter.....I have seen a 3 hour Midnite show., so I think they want to play a longer set......I will never forget Junior Reed at the Peg House a few years ago. He showed up at 11 or so and collected his money and then went to the hotel to primp his locks or something. Then he shows up after 2 am to play....He knows California closes at 2 am, he has played for years...That promoter is done for and that's not how they wanted the show to go down.....I will never buy a ticket to a JUNIOR GREED show again....
May 03, 2012 09:19AM
'primp his locks or something' LOLOLOLOLOL

Love that reggae!
May 10, 2012 04:25PM
I completely agree with DubGuy's guidelines for a 3 act club show. Unfortunately, Lost on Main is currently the only club in Chico that is bringing us raggae so I feel we need to speak up and let them know we're grateful for the music but are basically paying to see the headliner.. I've talked to several Chico raggae lovers who are frustrated at Lost's shows and and some saying they will not go back. Over the years I've seen many raggae shows in Chico ( Senator Theatre, El Rey Theatre, the defunct Brickwokrs, Chico State etc.) and all have been run in a timely fashion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login