Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Future of Reggae?

Posted by Christopher 
The Future of Reggae?
April 17, 2012 12:31PM
Can't decide which is gonna make the Old Man roll over in his grave first... A holographic resurrection or hearing his son on this tune? Hmmm.... At any rate, time marches on and none can escape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 07:07PM by Christopher.
Re: The Future of Reggae?
April 17, 2012 01:33PM
Over/under for the amount of times that song is played in the parking lot this year?

I'm just hoping that I don't have a dubstep party 10 feet away from my tent again this year. Fortunately, by the time I hit my sleeping bag at SNWMF I can sleep through nearly anything. It is quite an unpleasant thing to wake up to though if you are unfortunate enough to wake up.
April 17, 2012 06:16PM
love it!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 17, 2012 06:20PM

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 17, 2012 06:32PM
Nuff Buggeration fi Real!
April 17, 2012 06:58PM
Yo, this aint the future of Reggae cause it aint Reggae. Just cause Skrillex have a Marley on his track and he has Red, Gold and Green in his name doesnt mean its Reggae. (or the future of Reggae.....hopefully). Either way we did get a call from Portmore a few weeks ago with our good friend buggin sayin that we gotta get a dub of this crazy, crazy new Jr. Gong. This artist said the selector pulled it up 10 times, got the biggest forward he said he has seen in a long, long time from this tune-in Jamaica. Then i searched for the tune and found that this was the tune he was reffering to.........it wouldnt suprise me if Rory buss this one of in the dance and most people would go crazy, while others would tuck their tail and start dry heaving.
April 17, 2012 07:19PM
I heard my first skrillex song last week... wow that sh!ts bad!

Reggae Music is fine. The future is bright!

Respect Same Way
April 17, 2012 07:57PM
the recent zoki post about dubstep is still so effing funny

i agree with octagon. it could be some future of something but whatever, not one I'll follow

but we should remember that reggae (like its father, ska music) is an elixir... it blended then-modern takes on African traditional and southern church musics with jazz, Latin jazz, and r&b

and there have been lots of blends since. look at "could you be loved" which is actually more of a disco tune than reggae. of course our eyes and minds tell us it's reggae but give a listen and check the driving drum. disco... it can mix easily into Michael Jackson songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 08:34PM by so nice.
April 17, 2012 09:04PM
Octagon
Yo, this aint the future of Reggae cause it aint Reggae.

thumbs up
April 17, 2012 09:05PM
But I do like it.
April 17, 2012 10:33PM
I'm a big fan of Jr. Gong, but this isn't one of my favorites. I think that I could tire of it very quickly. It's OK, though.
April 18, 2012 07:19AM
It is really remarkable how quickly dubstep as a genre has risen in popularity, especially among the youth. I often wonder why is that....a generation of Digital age kids...living electronic lives 24/7? But anything that rises this fast may also fall just as fast. This kind of popularity is difficult to sustain.

While I believe a small fraction of dubstep is quite good or at least tolerable, most of it is just grating on the auditory system. But in terms of this tune being the future of Reggae.... Octogon summed it up best. But believe we are going to start hearing more of these tunes before this thing is over.

I thought the dubstep interviews video posted previously was hilarious .
April 18, 2012 08:00AM
the only redemptive element of that song is that you could get loose on the dance floor with the plethora of hot chicks who love this song,
if that's your cup of tea of course.......
April 18, 2012 08:20AM
I think dub step goes well with energy drinks & the youth who imbibe both.
April 18, 2012 08:26AM
so nice
And there have been lots of blends since. look at "could you be loved" which is actually more of a disco tune than reggae. of course our eyes and minds tell us it's reggae but give a listen and check the driving drum. disco... it can mix easily into Michael Jackson songs.

When the above song got released by Marley, it was understood in music biz circles this was his unabashed effort to get SOME attention & air-play from 'urban' radio and hopefully black American listeners.

In that time, he had zero recognition from that radio format, and about the same from it's listenership.
April 18, 2012 09:06AM

I agree with Hank
April 18, 2012 09:50AM
Change the beat and that song could be alright. Until then it won't be playing on my boom box.
April 18, 2012 10:13AM
Not a fan of dubstep but this song ain't bad and I could see how it might be popular. And hey, at least it maintains a reggae sound structure, unlike other dubstep tunes which have NO structure....
April 18, 2012 10:44AM
I think this song is pretty dope. I give it a forward
April 18, 2012 11:18AM
Ras James

I agree with Hank

"It's all toilet sounds" LOL
I like my reggae to have a bass line which this skrillex track lacks...yeah I know there are a number of dancehall tunes that don't have a bassline, but I don't care for them either.
April 18, 2012 11:28AM
chronicom420
Change the beat and that song could be alright. Until then it won't be playing on my boom box.

Well if you have a 'boom box" then this probably ain't geared to you! But i hear you i got a couple boom boxes but i retired my parachute pants.
April 18, 2012 12:42PM
Good one pops.
April 18, 2012 01:23PM
tings go round & round ... the wheel of life is eternal & so is the fashion nonsensabilities of chattering monkey mentalities ... flavor of the month come & go & is forgotten => yet the classics live on --- ie. beethoven, tchaikovsky, patsy cline, satchmo, santana, abbysinians, bob m etc. => when wurld conditions cause the children to cry out for the real musical food of life a next voice-of-a-generation will arise
====<><><><>====
"monkey man monkey man ... you're nothing but a big monkey man" (toots)

"the higher the monkey climb the more he is exposed" (ja. parable)

"music & the righteous alone will live foriver" (izziz iya)
April 20, 2012 12:38PM
w/o even lisssenin' to the entire tune, I can say I prefer this one by faaar....

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
April 20, 2012 01:30PM
Anybody remember Jungle? My feeling is that Dubstep will come and go the same way.
April 20, 2012 04:45PM
Future of Reggae Music sounds good to me...

With No Whomps...No Whobbles....

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
April 26, 2012 05:05PM
First off, hello. This will be my first non-promotional post. As the nube, I would like to officially weigh in. The song, although far from great, is really not all that bad, speaking comparitively. Take out the obnoxious track and you have something to work with. It has brought up some interesting discussion. As Bob did with Could You Be Loved, Jr Gong looks to increase his audience. Specifically by colaborating with artistes from genres outside of Reggae. So we get tracks like this from him and heaps of others that are outside of the genre. Super Heavy anyone? IMO, the future of Reggae looks to have a lot of potential from the youts and in general is progressing back towards the core message of love and unity. As far as Dubstep going the way of Jungle, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Respek
April 26, 2012 05:43PM
Damian and Nas made some good music. I had the chance to catch them live a few years back and was impressed.

Damian and Skrillex... I personally can't say its good but its not the worst thing I ever heard. To me this one is about money alone and I'm not mad, get your paper Jr Gong.

This is NOT the future of reggae by a long shot!!
April 27, 2012 09:45AM
As long as folks like this are around, I'd say the future of Reggae looks fine...

May 01, 2012 09:46AM
cancelations, visa issues, and more and more ditch the band I'll make more money with a DJ show..........resulting in smaller attendance
October 19, 2012 09:54PM
DJ Treez
..... The song, although far from great, is really not all that bad, speaking comparitively. Take out the obnoxious track and you have something to work with. ...

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
October 20, 2012 07:27AM
I dont rate that Skrillex tune either—unfortunately my girl plays it all the time. I just play this tune every time she's done.

Exco Levi [FOCUS RIDDIM]
October 20, 2012 08:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2012 08:35AM by nahikuroots.
October 20, 2012 11:04AM
That being said—Earlier this year I made a Dubstep Mix for My Bredren Adam (BFLY/BCHILL) out in Grass Valley/Nevada City

20 minutes so check it if you dare

DUBSTEP MIX [CALI HERBALIST]

Here is the Tracklist (1 track mix)

1) Fally Ranking (V.I.V.E.K RMX) -Johnny Osbourne
2) Jump Up (Terror Danjah RMX) -Admiral Bailey
3) Custard Chucker (Dubstep) -Caspa & Rusko
4) It Was Written (Dubstep RMX) -Jr Gong & Stephen Marley
5) One Love (Mala Digital Mystic RMX) -Sizzla
6) Champion (Dubstep RMX) -Buju Banton
7) Caan Eat Mi Out (Cluekid RMX) -Junior Cat
8) Sensimilla (Dubstep) -Dub-Rex
9) Herbalist (Numa Crew RMX) -Alborosie
10) Here I Come (Kromestar RMX) -Barrington Levy
11) World a Reggae (Murder Dub RMX) -Ini Kamoze
12) Welcome to Jamrock (Savoy Dubstep RMX) -Jr Gong
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login