Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Monterey Bay Reggae Fest ???

Posted by blessedcoast 
Monterey Bay Reggae Fest ???
July 16, 2012 06:06PM
Why haven't we heard anything about this years Monterey Bay Reggae Fest?
It's at the end of this month and their claiming that capleton, Sanchez, maxi priest, gyptian, Los Rakas, and more will be there????
Will it be another infamous bait & switch?
I haven't heard a word about it, wha Gwan?
Re: Monterey Bay Reggae Fest ???
July 16, 2012 07:01PM
C'mon Son. We all know better.

Maxi priest is already a no show, (check the Hollywood bowl thread.)

Choice words I'll keep to myself, this is a hard business... And 'nuff well intentioned folks succumb to the siren.... Jah bless their souls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 07:06PM by Christopher.
July 17, 2012 06:36AM
I say it every year......if it wasn't in my own backyard i wouldnt go. Not a whole lot of promotion going on for this fest.every year some sort of disappointment. I can't help but go when I know so many people I know will be attending. I honestly don't recommend this fest if you have to come from somewhere far. I hate to say that but its Just my opinion.
July 17, 2012 06:54AM
It's turned into the lite beer of California reggae fests. I'll drink it if it's a hot day, and it's the only beer in the fridge.

Now if Capleton actually, finally turns up here on the central coast, Sunday will be worth the drive down for a sip.

(Yes, I know that I am spoiled.)
July 17, 2012 07:04AM
they figured out that they can't just claim everyone and their momma is gonna be there,
surprise people actually expect to see the artists on the bill,
that being the case they just gave up on the promo alltogether
July 17, 2012 09:28AM
Sounds par for the course. That's really unfortunate!
And to Christopher only my father can call me son smiling smiley

Bless!
July 17, 2012 09:34AM
Hey Christopher,

why do you say Maxi is already a no show? that show was on July 15th.. his monterey show is on the 28th, 7 pm.

One luv
July 17, 2012 09:36AM
NEVER MIND:

A Message from Maxi Priest

It is with great disappointment and regret that I will not be able to perform at the upcoming "Legends of Reggae" at the Hollywood Bowl this Sunday July 15th, due to very unexpected delays in the processing of my work visa which is needed in order for me to appear in concert in the United States.

I apologize to my fans, the Hollywood Bowl family, and Ziggy Marley and his organization and thank them for the invitation for me to appear on such a prestigious event. I was very much looking forward to taking part in the program and am regretful that I will not be there to perform alongside all the great Artists scheduled that I hold in the highest regard and respect.

I look forward to performing in Los Angeles in the future, and wish you all a very successful concert on Sunday.

Bless
Maxi Priest
July 17, 2012 09:51AM
No offense meant blessedcoast... It's something my father used to say to me, usually when I was f**king up. (like looking forward to big names actually showing up to MBRF) Every once in a while I can still hear him saying it, musta been channeling him again.

And to Ja_lover... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope the MBRF goes off without a hitch and the rest of the scheduled artists all show and give excellent performances.
July 17, 2012 01:56PM
This festival has been disappointing people for over 15 years.....amazing it is still going........
July 17, 2012 02:00PM
I went for J Boog, Anthony B & Maxi last year. All showed and it was a good show. I'll probably gamble again this year.
July 18, 2012 10:20AM
bait and switch? Give a name in the past that was used as a bait and switch.
July 18, 2012 10:25AM
Maxi a no show. You have info on when his Visa will be approved?
July 18, 2012 10:29AM
Rastavibe, don't go. Why pay for something you hate to go to and wouldn't recommend to anyone from any distance to go to, you are confused.
July 18, 2012 10:36AM
For Stikky, back it up with facts. You must think artist don't protect their name. In the age of the Internet if you use their name they will know about it.
July 18, 2012 10:39AM
reggae lover, 15 years a disappointment. Name one thing that disappointed you.
July 18, 2012 10:54AM
Truth be told, are you part of Monterray bay Reggaefest? I have only been one year, it was like 2005 or 2006. Yami Bolo was there, I vibes and Beenie Man were the artists I remember. I really enjoyed myself but cannot speak for past years.

Bless
July 18, 2012 11:15AM
Truth be Told: If you REALLY want to know about people's complaints regarding not getting what was advertised, I would suggest you google "Bait & Switch" along with "Monterey Bay Reggae." The "search" function here only goes back one year, but google's got them all.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 11:57AM by Daniel.
July 18, 2012 11:53AM
I just went and checked out what Daniel said, type bait and switch monterray bay reggaefest in and you will find that people have been unhappy for years. THe facts and truth seem to be there. That is sad. Well i hope that this years Monterray Bay Reggaefest is a success and everyone shows up that has been promoted.
July 18, 2012 12:20PM
Truth be told, Sizzla and Capelton have been falsely promoted as headlining this festival for the better part of a summer one year only to be removed within 2 weeks of the show. My memory has this happening every year since 2005 to some varying degree.
Everyone has their own truth and some will try to convince you of their reality. There seems to always be he said / she said , but in this case some posters or flyers from years past should reveal exactly who was supposed to be headlining that drew us in.
Sure I have been disappointed in the past when SNWMF has had a no show like I octane last year or Cocoa Tea in Angels Camp. I think this was out of the promoters control, which is far different from trying to sell tickets with a headliner that has no idea his/her name is being used and has to end the use of his/her name. As much discussion has revolved around how this as well as artists behavior has given the reggae industry the reputation and caused some promoters to go a different direction when booking shows.
July 18, 2012 12:51PM
truth be told
Maxi a no show. You have info on when his Visa will be approved?

You are right truth be told (but name withheld) I have no personal knowledge of Maxi Priest's visa issues, beyond the fact he wasn't able to make his other recent date and his statement to that effect (further up in the thread) I'm not trying to spread the hate about MBRF, I am not planning to attend, I hope this years festival goes off without a hitch. And please be sure to post when Maxi does arrive and perform... I will happily eat my words, and rejoice for my friends who traveled from far and wide to be a part of the Monterey Bay Reggae Festival.

More Love
July 18, 2012 03:38PM
Thanks for the feedback. I googled the the bait and switch monterey bayreggae fest. What I read was not a "bait and switch".
What I read was disappointed people who wanted to see their favorite artist who was advertised but switched before the show.
Can anyone tell me a festival that hasn't changed artist for one reason or another?

First contracts must be signed before advertising their name, now after that a whole camut of sitiuations can accure outside the promoters control that could make an artist not make the show.
My definiton of a "bait and switch" is not to have the product you say you have and once their in the store, you sell them something inferior.
Unless someone has different info on the contract situation, everyone advertise should be under contract, so their is no bait.

Yes I love Monterey, and I go to all the other festivals and I love them too.
July 18, 2012 03:56PM
Well, if you DID google it TbT, then I'm sure you read the one about Chezidek being announced to perform in 2009 when he was already booked to play in Europe that weekend. And there was also a statement from Winston Jarret last year about being on the bill but not having been contacted. A few years before that, year Anthony B was 'announced' (unbeknownst to him). Even though I KNEW he wasn't performing, on the date he was 'scheduled' to perform, his name was still prominent on the poster that was right outside the venue, and the festival kept taking people's money without one iota of an indication that AB would not be there.

Yes, festivals change lineups for all sorts of legitimate reasons. However, when a promoter signs a contract promising to pay a deposit by "X" date and then fails to follow through with said agreed-upon deposit, that is NOT a legitimate reason imo.....
July 18, 2012 04:07PM
Truth be told - can you point out a festival that CONSISTENTLY advertises one thing, only to completely rewrite the lineup just before showtime? One particular one comes to my mind...

Not to say that they haven't had some great acts, etc. - just typically NOT the ones announced when tix go on sale. For a prime example, I just got an e-mail from MBRF TODAY that mentions "Mighty Diamonds in 2012" in the description, but they are not on the lineup in the same e-mail - nor are they anywhere on the site? They are constantly struggling to have a lineup ready in time for the Reggae Festival Guide (and I honestly believe they just toss names in there to get peoples attention, hence the "bait"winking smiley, or to have their web pages updated when the show is scheduled a mere month away, etc. What they need is some organization/foresight, and I don't think anyone on here would complain if that got turned around.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
July 18, 2012 04:33PM
fraud is a bad mans business.......
July 18, 2012 09:28PM
I went to high school in Monterey and had a lot of fun at this festival as a youth. There were a lot of artists that I wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. The Abyssinians, Mighty Diamonds, Culture, The Waling Souls, The Meditations, Israel Vibration, Jimmy Cliff, Freddie McGregor, Alpha Blondy, Mutabaruka, Buju Banton, Morgan Heritage, Beenie Man and many more.

They've never been a "destination" festival, and shouldn't be compared to SNWMF or ROTR, but they did manage to bring some big artists to the local community for a reasonable price

I haven't been since 2004, and while they had many organizational issues back then, including a canceled fest in 2003, almost all advertised artists actually appeared the years I attended.

Also, I know in recent years they got kicked out of the prime Labor Day weekend slot by the county fair. Basically, I wonder how much of this problem is just the result of poor organizational decisions and how much is a deliberate attempt to deceive ticket buyers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly the former, although Daniel's examples above are quite damning. Hopefully things will straighten out in the future.

Dubguy
For a prime example, I just got an e-mail from MBRF TODAY that mentions "Mighty Diamonds in 2012" in the description
I saw a flier last weekend that had the Mighty Diamonds listed as a headliner, while they're not listed on the website.
July 18, 2012 09:41PM

By the way, an old friend gave me this comical book some years ago. It has a section on "The Popular Music Scene" where it defines the "Promoter:"

"Stages the year's top show every other month. Shows are promoted on the basis of an advertised line-up of twenty top artists, ten of whom have actually been booked for the show and five of whom will actually appear."

and "Emcee:"

"His primary function at shows is to dream up novel reasons why half the acts have not appeared and why the show is two hours late."
July 19, 2012 09:52AM
Truth b Told your definition of Bait and Switch , as well as everyone else's fits the Monterey festival.
"Artist is not even contacted by hustler ( I refuse to even use the word promoter , does not apply here) to appear , yet artists name is used to deceive people into putting money in hustlers pocket thinking they will see this artist , who does not even know his name is being used until too late, if at all"
I think this might be considered fraud as well.
What are your interests in defending this Bait and Switch?

Again, we are not talking about a festival changing artists "for one reason or another". But any and every scam scenario there minds can create.
I mean paying artists in tickets? Has any one ever heard of "no rasta that's not your guest list, that's your pay check"
July 19, 2012 01:39PM
JahWobs
By the way, an old friend gave me this comical book some years ago. It has a section on "The Popular Music Scene" where it defines the "Promoter:"

"Stages the year's top show every other month. Shows are promoted on the basis of an advertised line-up of twenty top artists, ten of whom have actually been booked for the show and five of whom will actually appear."

and "Emcee:"

"His primary function at shows is to dream up novel reasons why half the acts have not appeared and why the show is two hours late."

HIGHlarious!

July 20, 2012 02:10PM
The Mighty Diamonds canceled at Moe's Alley last week without notice, I'm told. Mighty Diamonds may have problems.

Sizzla canceled his whole tour that year because of protest for his anti-gay lyrics, if I remember right. By the way, Sizzla's sister is a vendor at the fest, I met her years ago, don't you think she would know about listing her brother without his knowledge.

Put it to rest that people names are listed and not contacted, reggae artist are not stupid, they protect the use of their name. That's easy money in the courts, tell your friends to head right to the nearest courthouse.

You mention fraud "SC Roots", really? Do you understand the word Defamation.

Guy's this has been fun, I really wanted to see what you knew and why you hate on the festival, and I think I have my answer.
July 22, 2012 02:20PM
I rep. the band Pure Roots. We WILL be there at 5:00pm on Sunday. Please check us out. We had to headline Moe's Alley last week, when we were just supposed to open, because the Mighty Diamonds cancelled, and The Mighty Diamonds will NOT be performing at MBRF 2012, confirmed. And that is not to be blamed on the promoters for MBRF, believe me i would know. Now the inside word i personally have is this: And it could change, but I hope not.

Line-Up As of 7/22/12
Maxi Priest
Judy Mowatt
Glen Washington
Capleton
Sanchez
Lloyd Brown
Pure Roots
Ancestree
Lujan & the Yard Stylee All Stars
Tribal Theory
Finn
Ray Leger
One-A-Chord
Zhen
The Holdup
Los Rakas
Mystic Man
Spawn Breezie
w/Detour Posse
Josh Wawa
Ryddim
Empress Miss Roszone
Skip Brown Band
MIdnight Sun Massive
Michael Annotti
ABJA

Dj's: Robert Rankins, Irie Dole, Jah Shelter, Moi, Bless King Crew, Smoky King of Kings, Jacques, Donnette G, Yah Yzer, Ivier, Matt Dub, Q, Dank, Suga Bear & Al B. More tba, subject to change.

Apologies from a fan of music and a musician, i know that everyone shares that stress of not knowing the EXACT Lineup. I believe MBRF will listen and act soon. They work hard, so let's appreciate what's on the table.
July 22, 2012 11:30PM
I been going to Monterey festival for several years.I've always had a great time there. Don't remember to many bands cancelling out but that happens alot in reggae it seems.It's usually visa problems,or that's what they tell us.They have a few top names play there every year.I also like seeing bands that I never have heard of or know much about. It's no SNWMF but its cool and that's its close to the bay area makes it alittle better.Theres always some haters out there or people complaining about something.Plus this year they have camping so that should be interesting.
That being said......... will see all you down there

P.S..... I Have an extra 3 day ticket for sale
July 23, 2012 08:51AM
It should be interesting to see what the turnout is for the MBRF vs. what it was for the California Roots Festival at the same venue back in May.
July 23, 2012 07:53PM
i was really bad between 2002-2005...but theyve gotten better over the years
July 23, 2012 08:49PM
Heartbroken.......Mighty Diamonds removed from line up, but no explanation, just removed. No announcement or replacement mentioned. Last minute removal.....what about Maxi, still on the billing but I have my doubts. At the same time Diamonds was removed from line up, their F.B. says come enjoy a great weekend of reggae music, but no mention of Mighty Diamonds being removed. The line up is looking really thin. WTH. Soooooo heartbroken.....if Capleton no show, wow this will be the worst Fest EVER.
July 23, 2012 10:24PM
Thanks to everyone for their understanding during the delays in the processing of my work visa. Most of all my sincere apologies for any inconveniences that occurred because of these circumstances; the good news is that this matter has been remedied and I look forward to continuing with my Summer Tour and to performing for all my fans. Once again thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your support.

Bless
Maxi Priest
July 24, 2012 08:53AM
The Mighty Diamonds asked to be let out of their contract with NWWRF so that they could tour europe. NWWRF replaced them with the Wailing Souls!! I am guessing that is why the Mighty Diamonds have been taken of the lineup for Monterray. Respect to Maxi Priest for taking the time to chat a message to all of us reggae fans!! Bless
July 25, 2012 10:07PM
July 25, 2012 10:12PM
where the eff did shango go?
July 25, 2012 10:25PM
and the fuckery continues lol
July 25, 2012 10:50PM
Still claiming Maxi though. I may yet eat my words....
July 25, 2012 11:34PM
I'm told Maxi and Capleton will both be there. Pretty sure Capleton is calling in to Robert Rankins radio show on Friday to do promo
July 26, 2012 02:04AM
pretty big name to leave off the flyer if he is supposed to show up....any other capleton shows in cali?
July 26, 2012 05:09AM
from an e-mail yesterday:

Stage Schedule
FRIDAY
MBRF Main Stage
3:30-4:45 DJ Moi
4:45-5:45 The Hold-up
6:15-7:15 Hooliganz
7:15-8:45 DJ Surga Bear
8:45-10:00 Sanchez

Selah Int’l Stage
3:00-3:30 DJ Jah Yizer
3:30-4:30 Los Rakas
6:00-7:00 Drum Circle - All welcome
7:30-8:30 Zhen

RED STRIPE Turf Club
3:00-5:00 DJ Q & Matt Dub
5:00-6:15 Midnight Suns Massive
7:00-9:00 Cruzan Rum Party with Michael Annotti
9:00-10:00 DJ Q
10:00-12:00 Open mic DJ party

SATURDAY
MBRF Main Stage
12:30-1:10 DJ Robert Rankin/Split Skekin
1:15-2:15 Finn
3:30-4:30 Ray Leger
4:30-5:00 Josh “JJ” Sansaverino, “Jazz Guitarist”
6:15-7:30 Glen Washington
8:45-10:00 Maxi Priest
10:00-12:00 After party with DJ Smoky, Kings of Kings

Selah Int’l Stage
12:00-12:25 DJ Irie Dole
12:30-1:00 Empress Miss Roszone
2:20-3:20 Chinyakare, Ensemble of Zimbabwa
5:10-6:10 Pyrx
7:40-8:40 Mystic Man

RED STRIPE Turf Club
12:00-3:00 DJ Q & Matt Dub
3:00-4:00 Skip Brown Band
4:00-5:00 Prince Rastan & Tito
5:00-6:15 Ancestree
6:15-7:15 DJ Donnette G with special guests
7:30-8:45 Ryddim
8:45-10:00 DJ After Party

SUNDAY
MBRF Main Stage
12:30-1:30 DJ Dank (KKUP)
1:30-2:30 Zhen
3:30-4:30 Judy Mowatt
4:30-5:30 DJ Jacques
5:30-6:00 Josh Wawa White with Detour Posse
6:00-6:45 Spawnbreezie
6:45-7:45 Gyptian
9:00-10:00 Capleton
July 26, 2012 06:41PM
They didn't put the Red Stripe Stage or Turf Club artists on that list for sunday. Don't miss Pure Roots on Sunday at The Turf Club Stage 5:00-6:15PM

[www.facebook.com]
July 27, 2012 02:50AM
July 27, 2012 02:58AM
July 30, 2012 11:36AM
How was Capleton?
July 30, 2012 11:50AM
Capleton came with his particular brand of fyah. And pretty much pulled it up, er, I mean off. It was damn cold and foggy all afternnon so the crowd was well chilled when he hit the stage after Gyption. He did an hour plus with most of his big tunes. Lots of pull-ups, lion paws and arm waving. Flags were flying. Capleton pushed the sing along-style, which sorta flopped IMO (it was just too damn cold and a lot of people were under blankets all afternoon).

Respect to MBRF for still standing. It seemed like a reduced-calorie version of the former-fattie-Labor Day Weekend, headliner-heavy fest, but still pretty fun.

Anybody see Lloyd Brown yesterday? Curious if he played.
July 30, 2012 01:33PM
Jahsprey

Anybody see Lloyd Brown yesterday? Curious if he played.

He did not. See the other MBRF thread. According to what the people there were claiming, it had to do with the Live Wyya band's 'visa issues' but others are saying that LW will be at NWWRF. So many rumors, innuendos and outright lies in this reggae business...
October 09, 2012 11:53AM
I know this is late on this issue however, I know a thing or 2. I am in the biz, and have worked MBRF for years as well as every one of these festivals on the west coast. I just went online to find out anything for this festival for next year so I can begin my schedule since I have to juggle what events I choose to work. Last year, 2012, I did not work MBRF due to being double booked that weekend in the same town! Moto GP races were the same weekend at Laguna Seca, and I perform at that, so I had to make a tough decission. Here is the thing folks: Being a concert promoter is a very tough business. Especially in the reggae environment. You picky bastards don't buy tickets in advance, you wait right up to the last minute to see if there is a buzz and if all your peeps are going and it's going to be a scene. That makes it very tough for a promoter weather a small club gig or a big club gig or a huge event because the promoter can't get any idea of how successful he is going to be and how much money to spend on promotion, production, (a HUGE cost of doing a show,) and other things of importance like rooms for the acts, the acts themselves, etc. In the case of the acts, Daniel is right about having to contract and then PAY the 50% deposit, 30 days in advance for the artist to actually keep the date on their schedule and not book something else for more money or even less.
Due to this, guys like Andre have it TOUGH. If you don't have a huge bank roll, and who does these days, you need the advance ticket sales to pay for these costs. Promoters don't get the sales at certain events. There are other limiting factors like no camping. That cuts some capital from the budget, and eliminates a huge percantage of fans from coming because all the motels around the Monterey area jack up their prices by as much as DOUBLE the days of events, especially MBRF because they know the punters, (that is YOU,) don't want to drive and get a DUI, rather, to party and have a blast and not have the po-po ruin the weekend for the next 10 years of paying the man off... So you add the cost of rooming and take away the fun factor at MBRF unfortunately, which means Andre can't bank on a huge turnout every year. He doesn't make any money by the way, just so you know, he is lucky to break even, so he is doing this for the love of the music and the continuence of the event. Unless guys like him have an angel investor, like a patron of the arts with deep pockets, he can't do this. He is not alone. Events like this are dropping like flies because there is just not the money from such sponsers out there any more. I know many vendors who used to pony up 10 grand and then make it back the first 3 hours of the event. They ain't doing that any more. They can't. The money is just not there. (You can thank the republicans from the last administration for that, but that is another story...)
Bottom line is we all do what we can to make these events happen because we love the music, the culture, the festival vibe and food. Here is my take on MBRF and other similar events: You know it is going to be on a shoestring budget and you may not get the artists you were hoping to see due to either money issues, or visa issues, (your over zealous government at work protecting you from the Jamainiacs moving in and taking over a ghetto near you and keeping say, Oakland, from becoming soutthern Florida... HAHAHA!!! not funny, sorry,) and other potential issues. Who CARES!!! The show will be fun, it will feature at least SOMEBODY cool and worth seeing and what were you going to do that weekend anyway? Watch TV? Watch some retarded Hollywood extravaganza on your big ass flat screen home entertainment system with surround sound? Watch Jamaicans on BET? Well why not get your ass out there, (bring blankets and warm attire, or your ass be cold...) and see the real thing in person live and direct? Can your surround sound sytem equal the huge and powerful audio of my line array systems? I think NOT! Support the arts by attending the events! Jah know, the artists and promoters and concert staff are working their asses off to make it happen, some coming from afar, like foreign countries, etc. Go see them while you can. They don't live forever, and when festivals like MBRF fail eventually, then you will wish it hadn't and remember the "golden days of concerts" when we all used to go to Monterey every year and endure the cold and the fog just to see who actually showed up to play....
And QUIT WHINING!!! We are Americans! We are the lucky ones! We don't get to complain, we have everything! You think there are any reggae festivals going on in Egypt this year? Libya? Seria? If there is, you would have to dodge rockets while getting some food at the vendors... There is so much more to complain about, like the Patriot act, ("a Idiot Act dat" I call it..) the price of gas and the fact no politician is even speaking about regulating THAT! The fact that medical canabis is STILL being oppressed by the feds and local governments.... for MONEY... I could go on and on, but you get the point.
See you at the festivals! I'll be at front of house making it sound great, regardless of the bullpuckey....
October 09, 2012 03:23PM
Not everyone can afford to take time off of work for a music festival every weekend: most have to be very picky on what weekends they are going out of town and spending x amount of dollars. When it comes to planning a few festivals in advance, those in the know are going to pick the ones that they can count on to:

a) Have a lineup announced well in advance
b) Stick to said lineup as much as possible
c) Have nearby lodging/camping available

With the ridiculous number of festivals all over the state (FAR too many, in the "golden days" there were few to pick from, which made them all the more special), it's no wonder the smaller, less organized ones are dropping off.

October 09, 2012 06:26PM
Honestly Its all about trust. Festivals that are done right and that the fans and artist trust will do well. If the fans don't believe you and artist and their reps don't trust you then your screwed.
October 09, 2012 08:47PM
MBRF is just NOT worth the money and time, anymore. Three long days of middling music, spread across a large, sparsely populated venue, is just boring.

I have thought for the past 5 years that it should scale back to one big day, and do it right. Big names, on the big stage, with short set breaks, and continuous energy.

Then, the rest of my family,
and all my friends that USED to go to MBRF
just might want to go again.

Just my opinion (which is backed by hundreds of dollars in past MBRF ticket purchases)

Peace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login