Snoop Dogg goes reggae as 'Snoop Lion' - La La La
July 24, 2012 07:36PM
Re: Snoop Dogg goes reggae as 'Snoop Lion' - La La La
July 24, 2012 08:04PM
i don't hate it like i thought i would

the instrumental/loop piece is a good selection

vocals aren't great (to me) and sit too high in the mix but i've made that same assessment/criticism from re-vocal tunes from a number of singers and producers
July 24, 2012 08:16PM
Yeah, that is just a Major Laser remix, if I am not mixtaken. His remixes are typically poorly mixed. But I think Snoop is honest in the fact that he feels the vibes of the music, so much so as to put his reputation on the line for this experiment.

I'd like to hear the whole album.

[www.rollingstone.com]
July 24, 2012 09:00PM
July 24, 2012 10:51PM
Im sure some of this album (like all of his works) will be VERY good... he's been working with Stephen and Damian off and on since 05 so Im sure some good will come of that (Id like to hear Snoops trademark slow flow over one of Stephens One Drops)

Respect Same Way
July 24, 2012 10:52PM
Oh and MAjor Lazer is the producer on that album track

Respect Same Way
July 24, 2012 10:57PM
tahoearmada
Im sure some of this album (like all of his works) will be VERY good... he's been working with Stephen and Damian off and on since 05 so Im sure some good will come of that (Id like to hear Snoops trademark slow flow over one of Stephens One Drops)

yeah.. trademark flow without the faux-tois.
July 24, 2012 10:59PM
if you really check it, when snoop first bust, his flow resembled any of the old time JA DJs. in the sense that he rode the riddim.. he didnt just say a few catchy phrases, then stop.. his verse started and didnt stop til the end of the track.

see the chronic, his first album, and m**der was the case..

the master p album was garbage.. but the first three death row albums will be considered classics..
July 25, 2012 06:30AM

[www.rollingstone.com]

"...features production from Diplo and Ariel Rechtshaid, while Major Lazer is credited as executive producer."

Comical.... what features is a loop of Artibella. Take that away and what do you have?

I hope it makes some good money for Ken Boothe and Phil Pratt.

And maybe this will get a few more plays -

July 27, 2012 11:20PM
just heard it for the first time... was shocked to hear artibella drop in

sounds kinda forced but the hook will get sampled a lot I bet

Respect Same Way
July 30, 2012 03:00AM
July 30, 2012 04:41AM
July 30, 2012 04:56AM
Real nice vid bv
July 30, 2012 12:52PM
iriebarto
Real nice vid bv

Thanks.. I figured the forum would appreciate the reasonings. To me, the guest's eyes tell it all.. He seems very committed and convicted.

As far as Snoop is concerned, I am with Muta on this one. Snoop has nothing financially to gain by sighting Rasta. So it may be that Snoop is looking to change things inna life. Who knows. I barely have time to concern myself with my own life issues. So big up forward livity.
July 30, 2012 04:17PM
bigvein
iriebarto
Real nice vid bv

Thanks.. I figured the forum would appreciate the reasonings. To me, the guest's eyes tell it all.. He seems very committed and convicted.

As far as Snoop is concerned, I am with Muta on this one. Snoop has nothing financially to gain by sighting Rasta. So it may be that Snoop is looking to change things inna life. Who knows. I barely have time to concern myself with my own life issues. So big up forward livity.

Word Muta on point as usual.
July 30, 2012 05:49PM
Rizeggae?
July 30, 2012 09:01PM
Jah Mama
Rizeggae?
REGGIZZLE!!!
JAAAHHHH RAASTAFIZZZLE!!!!
July 30, 2012 09:10PM
east bay herbalist
REGGIZZLE!!!

Hahahahhahhahahahhaha!!!!
July 30, 2012 10:29PM
Christopher
east bay herbalist
REGGIZZLE!!!

Hahahahhahhahahahhaha!!!!

Big up yourself mi bredrizzlle!!! smiling smiley
July 31, 2012 12:48AM
who's next?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 03:44PM by Ras_Adam.
July 31, 2012 01:03AM
I&I-BAMA!
July 31, 2012 02:10AM
dont take natty dread for a puppet show!!

real talk!

July 31, 2012 05:39AM
"...its only time alone can tell"......true true...
July 31, 2012 06:16AM
July 31, 2012 01:01PM
SNOOP Dogg has officially dropped the Dogg act and upgraded his name to "Snoop Lion".

The rapper says he underwent a spiritual and artistic rebirth while in Jamaica where he was given the new moniker by Rastafarian priests.

Legally he isn't any sort of animal, of course, but must go by the name Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr.

"I want to bury Snoop Dogg, and become Snoop Lion" Mr Broadus Jr told journalists at a news conference in New York.

"I didn't know that until I went to the temple, where the High Priest asked me what my name was, and I said, 'Snoop Dogg.' And he looked me in my eyes and said, 'No more. You are the light; you are the lion.' From that moment on, it's like I had started to understand why I was there."

The 40-year-old said as a result of his reincarnation, his new album will be a reggae record as he finds rap no longer "a challenge."

“There comes a point where you say I done it all, or there isn’t much more to do,” he said. “This was like a rebirth for me.

"With no disrespect to other rappers, but they can't f--- with me in rap ... I've won every accolade you can get in rap, they call me 'Uncle Snoop' in rap. When you're an uncle, it's time to find something new ... I want to feel like a kid again."

“I have always said I was Bob Marley reincarnated. I feel I have always been a Rastafari. I just didn’t have my third eye open, but its wide open right now.”

Broadus Jr is currently working on his fifth album, Reincarnated, which is strictly a reggae project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 01:06PM by Ras_Adam.
July 31, 2012 01:49PM
Redemption Song for Snoop, literally. There have been more than a few Rasta artists that experienced that turning point in their life. Critics criticized him for being a gangster, now they will criticize him for walking his spiritual path....so it goes.
July 31, 2012 01:50PM
Ras_Adam
' And he looked me in my eyes and said, 'No more. You are the light; you are the lion.'.

from long time i came to the conclusion that calvin had a strong spirit.. he just choose to promote and uplift other things..
August 01, 2012 02:44AM
"Redemption Song for Snoop, literally. There have been more than a few Rasta artists that experienced that turning point in their life. Critics criticized him for being a gangster, now they will criticize him for walking his spiritual path....so it goes. "

Yup yup
August 01, 2012 05:45PM
Snoop Dogg becomes Snoop Lion, readies reggae CD
July 31, 2012, 2:06 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Snoop Dogg wants you to know that he's tired of hip-hop, is Bob Marley reincarnated and is embracing reggae instead of the culture of guns he once rapped about.

Also, he's got a new name: Snoop Lion.

The artist said at a news conference Monday in New York that he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in February and is ready to make music that his "kids and grandparents can listen to."

The former gangster rapper is releasing a reggae album called "Reincarnated" in the fall. He said that in Jamaica, he connected with Bob Marley's spirit and is now "Bob Marley reincarnated."

Bing: Snoop Lion documentary

Bob Marley's son Rohan attended the conference and gave Snoop his blessing.

"I feel like I've always been Rastafarian," Snoop said of the spiritual Jamaican movement. While there, he said, he visited a temple, was renamed Snoop Lion and was also given the Ethiopian name Berhane, meaning "light of the world."

Snoop didn't explain why he was switching from "Dogg" to "Lion," but it's likely a reference to the Lion of Judah, a religious symbol popular in Rastafarian and Ethiopian culture.

Later, he played five songs for a small crowd, including one called "No Guns Allowed." It features his daughter and includes the lyrics, "No guns allowed in here tonight, we're going to have a free for all, no fights."

"It's so tragic that people are doing stupid things with guns," he said.

Snoop, best known for hits like "Gin and Juice" and "Drop It Like It's Hot," is an avid supporter of marijuana rights and has been banned from entering Norway for two years after trying to enter the country with a small amount last month.

Also: Snoop Dogg denied Norway entry for 2 years for pot

He said that in Jamaica, where he stayed for 35 days, he grew closer to his wife, who saw his transition. He added that he's excited to perform music that his family and children can listen to.

"As a 40-year-old man ... I've got to give them something," he said. "That's what you do when you're wise."

Snoop Dogg said he's not completely retiring from hip-hop but is "tired" of the genre because it is no longer challenging.

"Reggae was calling ... it's a breath of fresh air," he said. "Rap isn't challenging; it's not appealing."

The album was produced by Diplo and will feature Snoop singing. It will be released on Vice Records.

The album will be followed with a documentary of the same name, also produced by Vice. It features Snoop making music and will include some personal elements of his life, a producer of the film said. It will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

A coffee table book about Snoop's rebirth is also in the works.

"It feels like I'm 19 or 20 years old again," he said.
[music.msn.com]
August 02, 2012 02:34AM
i guess sizzla didnt like video of binghi
[www.jayblessed.com]
August 02, 2012 02:03PM
video: [edition.cnn.com]

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
August 02, 2012 03:11PM
Dubguy

folks too busy with their american idol, their waka flaka, their empty minded entertainment(detainment)..

word sound have power, if they knew this they wouldnt scoff at the transformation from dog to lion..

richie spice with a bullet to this babylonian mindset..

August 02, 2012 03:15PM
Dubguy

moving on up in this judgement!!

August 02, 2012 03:22PM
they cant leash me like no dog..
lion wear the crown..

August 02, 2012 04:02PM
heart like a lion.
strong like mt zion..

run tune!!!!!

August 02, 2012 05:10PM
Burn out and burn down the Taliban mindset.
August 02, 2012 05:41PM
going to be plenty of mockers with their dirty remarks and jokes sitting on the sidelines...that CNN clip remind of a Jimmy Kimmel type vibe....just wait for big music award shows and the like....

Just hold firm Snoop, this is the path, so it goes...positively speaking, I dont think Snoop will ever be the same, Jah Bless
August 02, 2012 06:32PM
I was a bit skeptical at first, especially after the "I'm Bob Marley re-incarnated" bits, but now not so much... It seems (except for Snoop's super celebrity status...) to me like this is often the way many of us come to reggae music and Rastafari. I admit that I haven't really followed Snoop's career or music closely but personally I think this could is a good thing. Good for Snoop, good for reggae, and good for the black community in general. I hope that he is sincere and look forward to watching the man develop as he trods along the path. Curious too what alliances Snoop will make in the industry, any thoughts on who he might be looking to work with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2012 07:10PM by Christopher.
August 02, 2012 06:47PM
some clean cuts with the Marley fam would be nice to see..
August 02, 2012 06:52PM
bigvein-- I love that Jah Sun/Peetah Morgan tune! I first heard it on BMC's most recent mix. What is the name of that riddim, and better yet, do you know the name of the Capleton song on the same riddim? That one's a killer! Big Ups!
August 02, 2012 06:57PM
Reggabe
bigvein-- I love that Jah Sun/Peetah Morgan tune! I first heard it on BMC's most recent mix. What is the name of that riddim, and better yet, do you know the name of the Capleton song on the same riddim? That one's a killer! Big Ups!

Check another nice mix here, which showcases the same riddim..

[royalmajesticsound.podomatic.com]

KUSH MORNING RIDDIM [DYNASTY RECORDS]
I OCTANE - RUN MI OUT
KRANIUM - GOTTA BELIEVE
SERANI - DEAR LORD
JAH SUN & PEETAH MORGAN - HEART LIKE A LION
August 02, 2012 07:03PM
thanks bigvein. Kush Morning riddim.... very nice!

Capleton's song is Fire Fire.... big big tune!
August 02, 2012 07:17PM
Walter
Burn out and burn down the Taliban mindset.

taliban... ?

the word association eludes me here..
August 04, 2012 08:17PM
[www.latimes.com]{%2210151009509992772%22%3A10151309057948272}&action_type_map={%2210151009509992772%22%3A%22og.recommends%22}&action_ref_map=[]
August 07, 2012 11:31PM
If he has gone a new direction, i guess that is good for him. It is certainly never too late to turn your face toward G_d (or at least in a new and more positive direction). My only question is... why should i really care? i actually care a lot more about what you fellow boardies have to say about it than his change or his song or his movie or whatever.

Why? Because i feel that we (you and i) have at least some connection, small though it may be, whereas with a super rich guy who calls press conferences to announce spiritual rebirth, i don't feel much of a connection. Other than being human and the struggles that every (wo)man goes through in life. But why would i note his change more than, say, my neighbor's? Our realities are just so different...
August 07, 2012 11:39PM
Sizzla sort out Snoop already

August 08, 2012 11:20PM
Sizzla knows Snoop? Interesting, and who cares what Sizzla thinks anyways? No offense, but he supports a man who gives refuge to the person that overthrew Selassie. He might want to check his own backyard rather than worry about Snoop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2012 11:23PM by J_72.
August 08, 2012 11:28PM
I love Sizzler -- baked potatoes, corn, and that all-you-can-eat salad bar. Deee-licious.
August 11, 2012 02:37PM
My own reaction was in passing, & I admit it ran to 'oh,some follow-fashion business', but who am I to claim to be knowing Snoop's heart?? As in all things, time will tell.
August 15, 2012 10:00PM
I know a lot of people on here (not to exclude myself) probably had a "reggae awakening" moment, when the music/message really sunk in, etc. What's wrong with Snoop having one? More power I say

August 15, 2012 11:51PM
bigvein
Dubguy

folks too busy with their american idol, their waka flaka, their empty minded entertainment(detainment)..

word sound have power, if they knew this they wouldnt scoff at the transformation from dog to lion..

richie spice with a bullet to this babylonian mindset..

.????

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
August 18, 2012 05:18PM
Funny... I listening to mostly hip-hop before listening to mostly reggae. I think Snoop Dogg's doggystyle was the last hip-hop album I bought. Followed by 8 Sizzla CD's. Let the World go Reggae.
August 20, 2012 06:39PM
August 20, 2012 10:23PM
Nuff Respek to Snoop and anybody else that takes the narrow path. This clearly is not a publicity move, if so, someone is gonna get fired fosho. I do remember his lyric about being Bob Marley reincarnated on the Collie Buddz Kush Remix. Looking forward to checking the album.

Let the haters commence their business.

MoreLove
Treez

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 24, 2012 10:09PM

Dale Hauskins:001.858.401.2973
Professional L.A.reggae jazz/rock hipHop lead-rhythm GUITARIST.
CD/Tour credits: Pato Banton;Martin Campbell;Phil Chen;Fully Fullwood;Majek Fashek;Myka 9;Scientist;Tippa Irie.
[www.reverbnation.com]
(Seeks a Schweizer Frau,Meitsch zum Hürote.)
August 28, 2012 12:47AM
September 03, 2012 05:51PM

"Dem a na Lion
Dem a dog like Snoopy"
September 03, 2012 06:32PM
"Say man a lion
them a dog like snoopy
we a trod so conscious and rootsy
nah bow fe NIKE nah bow fi Gucci"

LOL.......STR8 to Ninja headtop!!!!!
September 04, 2012 04:17PM
Big up Snoop. Jah know say we all find the path at one time or another.. Let the haters hate as they always do...
September 04, 2012 05:47PM
Sizzla....IN ALL SERIOUSNESS.Concentrate on your own music. Make relevant music that people want to hear. You are niether a gangster nor a Rasta when you do these tunes and engage in this type of behaviour. SNOOP WILL MURDER YOUR STYLE as an artist in your own country. Don't diss the OG Snoop Lion his is a Hall of Fame artist.
September 04, 2012 10:53PM
He's still performing as Snoop Dogg, y'all.
September 05, 2012 03:24PM
Snoop is one of the most underrated artists of his ear. Probaly because his message music is so intertwined with worthless garbage but the talent is there same way
September 05, 2012 07:47PM
Ninja
Snoop is one of the most underrated artists of his ear. Probaly because his message music is so intertwined with worthless garbage but the talent is there same way

i agree on the talent comment.. but i cant think of one song where 'message music' applies..
September 05, 2012 08:39PM

Pure Poetry
September 05, 2012 08:59PM
Ahh. Sample clearances have been good to me and my family

Including this one.
AKA
September 05, 2012 09:09PM
bigvein
Ahh. Sample clearances have been good to me and my family

Including this one.

Are you a relative of Donny Hathaway BV?
September 05, 2012 09:23PM
Sorry. Another song came to mind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 09:38PM by bigvein.
September 09, 2012 11:17AM
September 09, 2012 07:30PM
Thanks RA! The press conference was awesome. Watch it if you haven't.
November 03, 2012 05:14PM

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
November 03, 2012 08:25PM
puppet show business..
November 03, 2012 11:21PM
Literally

Cesar Chavez
November 04, 2012 01:58AM
November 04, 2012 02:07AM
Lets see children, women in tight clothes, cartoons, joint smoking pineapples and a halloweened themed rasta colored video. What a mess. TING!
November 04, 2012 01:28PM
I like it and congrats to snoop for trying something new and positive.
November 06, 2012 03:24AM
Walter
I like it and congrats to snoop for trying something new and positive.

BZM
November 06, 2012 05:34PM
Wasn't Bob Marley already alive at the time of Snoop Dogg's birth? How could he be a reincarnation of Bob, in that sense? Seems well-intentioned but I don't know how much substance there is to this 'transformation'... he might already be too far gone into Babylonian corruption.
November 08, 2012 02:45AM
Snoop was 10 when Bob passed.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2012 02:48AM by DJ Treez.
December 05, 2012 12:42AM
The latest offering "Here Comes The King"
Snoop Lion - Here Comes The King feat. Angela Hunte
December 11, 2012 12:26AM
https://soundcloud.com/majorlazer/snoop-lion-lighters-up

Snoop Lion w Mavado & Popcaan

January 04, 2013 08:45PM
not sure if this is really from mad magazine
January 23, 2013 08:40PM
January 23, 2013 10:01PM
LOL! Well what did you expect? Seriously though - there are a bunch of folks out there claiming Rasta that don't live up to the livity and should know better, why zero in on Snoop? Maybe he just needs some guidance...

January 23, 2013 10:43PM
I can see making a public statement regarding the misuse of Rastafari, but to sue for monetary compensation? Really? How many other JAMAICAN artists use the Rastafari image and aren't really Rastas? Quite a few, imo.
January 24, 2013 02:39AM
I guess Bunny wants that money which Rita should be paying from Snoop.cool smiley

Someone posted this on Soundclash Fraternity group on Facebook:

if any of yall seen the movie Made In Jamacia.. Bunny a sing inna purple cowboy suit and silver tassels a sing bout i shot di sheriff and 2 gyal a skin out... maybe the rasta council can sue him for fukkery lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 02:40AM by Chimino.
January 24, 2013 11:31AM
Hopefully Snoop won't countersue Bunny for fraudulently claiming to be a rapper...

In all seriousness though, while it does seem like Snoop is clowning out the thing to some extent - there's much more important things in this world for someone to be worried about one man who at the end of the day, may be goofy but isn't really hurting anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 11:59AM by Ras James.
January 24, 2013 09:17PM
Ridiculous.

Maybe Snoop can figure how much less money he is going to make from a reggae album than he would have from a rap album and the negative amount can be what he owes Bunny.

January 25, 2013 04:20PM
I'd rather listen to Snoop Doog (I mean lion) than to listen to the "Legendary Jah B" sing a piece of dog dropping like "The Almighty is a rapper". Maybe it's time to "Hit back the crack- with a dubble attack?"
January 29, 2013 09:26PM
SNOOP LION
REJECTED
by Bunny Wailer & Rastas

read the offical post at Snoop Lion Rejected
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login