Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Capleton cancelled in Humboldt

Posted by blessedcoast 
Re: Capleton cancelled in Humboldt
October 12, 2012 04:19PM
Walter you an idiot!!! Proof is in the pudding ... where did i say i hate gays or anything close... please do share
October 12, 2012 04:31PM
Walter
The extent to which some folks are willing to go to excuse Capleton (and other REDRUM CISUM artistes) for their morally bankrupt opinions that gays folks be killed simply because they are who they are is amazing. I see you people working - you admire the man's talent and you want to see him perform - there's just this 'small' problem that people keep blowing out of proportion... So to assuage the guilt you must be feeling (unless your a sociopath) at the hypocrisy of this situation - supporting a man who seeks to profit by chanting for the death of gay folks while supporting concepts that are core to this music such as "One Love", tolerance, and eglatarianism. So we get comments like these

"deviant..."
"cultural belief"
"pedofile and sodomist"

... and this unbelievable question:

"Really, hasn't the "bun battyman" era in reggae really subsided?"

Really? Listen to yourselves, you are trying to defend the indefensible. Look, there is no arguement - it is over - you are on the losing side. Murdering people is wrong.

So when Capleton comes, go enjoy yourselves. Smoke mass quantities of weed and get "Irie" - just walk past the protesters with a rueful shake of your head and small smile to yourselves - they can't be expected to understand - they have no understanding of the "culture". Pay up, go in and sway to every song. Big up Capleton when he sings (IN DEFIANCE) of the protest, one of his batty songs. Whatever lies you must tell yourself to make supporting an artiste who advocates for the killing of other people OK for you, tell. But please, don't try to come on here are defend that decison by using those same lies. It makes you look silly and, frankly, sad.

Enjoy the concert.

I just speak up to keep a balance in a very important conversation. Neither one of you are right, you on the one extreme, and Capleton on the other extreme. You quote me, but you don't understand the rational message because you don't want to. All you can see is irrationality, from your extreme view. And that is OK too. If you had something important to sing about, I just might go see you perform too.

If you don't listen to the music, then you won't have the capacity to reflect on what is being said, and to whom it is intended.

I hadn't planned on going to the Capleton show, but now, I am making a point of it. Thanks Walter, you solidify my belief that we need to support the things for which we care. blaaaaaze
October 12, 2012 04:41PM
your poorly written statement "And what walters post said yo me was iam gay so i cant overlook capletons "lyrical opression " -
reads "And what walter's post said yo me(iriebarto) was iam(iriebarto) gay so i(iriebarto) cant overlook capletons "lyrical opression"...

No one hates you 'cuz you can't type.

tagn
October 12, 2012 04:42PM
Funny how u "chant justice for buju" but you try and plant the gun on me... hypocrite much??
October 12, 2012 04:44PM
Walters logic translates to he is gay so he cant overlook the lyrical opression..

Easier to read buddy? ??
October 12, 2012 04:51PM
Iriebarto, you still haven't answered my question. Would you go see him if it was advocating killing of black men? or women?

Love that reggae!
October 12, 2012 04:53PM
No as ive said before that would be like neo nazis or the kkk.. a group founded on hate not culture ...
October 12, 2012 04:54PM
He already does, he talks about the killing of his people frequently.
October 12, 2012 04:55PM
SMH at almost all your posts irieB....

Someones "beliefs" are not equal to making songs about killing those people. Why can't you see that bro? Do you think it's ok for someone to "not believe" in interracial relationships? Would it be ok for an artist to sing about killing interracial couples?

I struggle with this issue in the music I love. I have seen Capleton 5+ times and only 1 time (2001?) did he even mention the batty word, and that was to bun them. It's not ok and it's not right. I have seen so many artist perform that have some terrible lyrics, or terrible things they have said off or on stage. I saw Lauren Hill perform a couple years ago (waste of money) and she has said a lot of racist @#$%&. Sizzla is one of my favorite artists and he has been recorded on stage saying "bun white people".

What about all these artists and their "bun rome" "bun the pope", "bun George Bush", "bun Tony Blair"-----Anthony B, right? What is the difference here? I don't like this either and I still go see Anthony B.

@Nomo, you bring up somo great questions. If Capleton sings anti gay songs tonight at the show, yes I will stop going to his shows in the future.

One last thing. (I don't like having to use Buju as the example, but) The last time Buju made his way here to Seattle (2004?) the protests made the show change venues on the day of the show. There was a great news article in the best seattle weekly paper (The Stranger, like the Guardian) and is a liberal pro-rights (pro-gay) paper. The writer who is gay attended the show and reviewed it. His review was glowing for Buju and the show. He said not only was there no anti-gay lyrics, that all the songs seemed to focus on love, togetherness, and the human struggle. The writer also said it was one of the happiest, most positive crowds he had seen at a concert in a long time. He finished with saying he would attend future Buju shows if they came thru.
October 12, 2012 04:58PM
All iam saying is i still go see the artist i like regardless of if they have mad a few bad tunes... i dont listen to those tunes when they have do much other work that should be looked at... that is all.. so go ahead and be hypocrites
October 12, 2012 05:00PM
Sure, time and place. These are entertainers. When Lady Saw came through, she told the selecta that this tune is too (h)X rated and to move on to the next riddim. If it were JA, the tune would run.
October 12, 2012 05:01PM
that is silly...that is like saying that gun violence is "part of the culture" or that poverty is "part of the culture". Perhaps one should wonder why it is that many of these so called cultural beliefs resemble the beliefs of the brainwashing slave master. Perhaps what is more "cultural" is for people who have nothing to look for someone or some group of people that they can put their foot upon so they are not at the bottom. How do you think "color based racism" got it's start? you had wealthy white men who want to share their wealth with NO ONE. They know that if all the poor people are on the same page they will come for them. So then they whisper "hey you ain't got sheet, but at least you got white skin". So the poor then defend "the purity of their race" at all costs. They commit all kinds of atrocities against people they percieve to be literally "less then them". This is as old as time. I often times wonder how some of these Republican leaders are able to convince so many people of the nonsense they espouse...it is because people will believe whatever they percieve elevates them above the level that they are really at.
October 12, 2012 05:06PM
People's true character sure comes out with these debates.
October 12, 2012 05:10PM
Hmmm, being against the advocating of murder of people is "extreme" -- sounds like you write copy for Republicant political adds bun. If you don't, perhaps you should consider it - you use one of their favorite buzzwords with aplomb.

Look, I support free speech - Capleton has the right to expound any view his wants and you have the right to listen to anything you want. I have fought and shed a little blood in defense of his and your right to free speech. So if you want to support Capleton and, by extension, his philosophy of supporting death for gay people, that's on you. But decisions are not made in a vacuum and we are all accountable to each other in society for the decisions we make and to G-d, if you are bent to believe in such a Being. Just like I decided for myself -- AFTER listening to enough murder music to make up my mind -- that I would not support murder music. Admittedly, all I needed was one listen to any of these batty songs to make up my mind. If you are not of the same mind, then just be honest and say "I like so-called murder music. I am proud to be a Capleton fan and I like his music and his vibe." - which is what many of you imply, but will not say. Impolitic, perhaps, but it would be honest.

Further, I have always been a defender of the weak and oppressed - I started when I was young at Lincoln Elementary, going up against bullies on the schoolyard; at Hill Jr. Hi when defending my friends from racial slurs; and at Poly HS. I have marched in solidarity with my black and brown brothers and sisters rebelling against the racial prejudices that still besets us as a nation. And, yes, I have proudly march with my gay brothers and sisters in various pride parades as they seek justice for their community.

I suspect that none of my words will make a whit of difference to you in determining whether you go the Capleton's show or not. You either will or you won't. I cannot imagine myself thinking "bun don't want me to go to a Capleton concert, so I AM going, dammit!" It's really a little disingenuous to suggest that that is the case.

Of course, I hold out the possibility that I am wrong. If so, my apologies and... Enjoy the show.
October 12, 2012 05:17PM
I love art, even the violent art.
October 12, 2012 05:20PM
I feel like a broken record... you dont have to like those songs to be a fan... and you certainly dont have to share all the same views to be a fan... youre making something out pf nothing
October 12, 2012 05:25PM
Im not questioning your character Walter. I respect you for your views, but I do think they are extreme. I think the truth is in the middle. After listening to many of these songs, I am left with the impression that the violence that is painted in those songs vary greatly in intent.

Take Boom Bye Bye for example. Buju is using those potent lyrics to contrast his love of woman and how he is there to satisfy them.

It is art.
October 12, 2012 05:27PM
I understand, bun -- agree to disagree -- respects.
October 12, 2012 05:29PM
The only reason you don't hear anti woman songs is they still want to get laid. They can sing all the "Mama" and "Mother of Creation" songs they want, check how they actually treat women in their lives. No woman I know would stand for the subserviant role that is expected in the Nyabinghi and Bobo Ashanti orders.
So much passion here...and accusations. As if we could truly know another mans heart by a few words here or there. Are we all sheep to be led about? Does anyone believe in redemption? You want to change the future? Teach the youths tolerance and practice it with the people around you. Even if your tolerance has to be limited to ignoring them. Too often we deliver our beliefs like they are universal. "Midnite Sucks" instead of "I don't care for Midnite", "If you do this, it means that" or "I can't tolerate his intolerance". While some may have managed to simplify the world in their minds, others haven't.
In my experience, in this place Capleton's opponents have done more to spread his words of hate then Capleton himself. I have seen him perform in California a half dozen times in the last 4 years. Never Once heard him say anything about Gay people. Never saw any organized peaceful protests or picketing either. The most action I have witnessed was the infamous "pepper spray" incident at the Rockit Room but since I was in front, facing front all I can say is Buju didn't miss a beat and it stung my eyes a little.
One last thing

Capleton played SNWMF in 2003, should we boycott them for supporting, promoting and profitting from "Murder Music"?
October 12, 2012 05:32PM
the problem is that Capleton makes GOOD GOOD TUNES....I can hear him now "FOOD IS THE STAFF OF LIFE" Don't DIS the TRINITY...RAGGY ROAD...WHO I AM...etc. IF the guy didn't make so many BIG TUnes this wouldn't be even relevant. I never here anyone talking about 5/6th of the anti gay tunes cause no one knows who they are. TO ME....it is like the Today show. I can't tell you how many times I yell at the tv thinking why when you have the ears of so many people do you waste time talking about nonsense?
October 12, 2012 05:35PM
I used to get all bent out of shape about this but I don't anymore. I am confident that in due time the peaks and valleys of the global society will become equalized for the majority. Live by example. You cant have respect for people and culture and not have respect for people and culture. Sometimes the views are based on ignorance, sometimes I learn something.
Capleton is an excellent artist.
October 12, 2012 05:36PM
PS I think the difficulty is that when it is someone we like we tend to make "excuses/reasons" for why this behavior isn't the be all end all. When Mitt Romney says 47% of Americans are basically leaches we aren't trying to hear any of the same sorts of reasoning. No one tries to paint this in a good light. The reasoning should lead, not the conclusions we want. Having said all of this. I am going to do everything I can to go see Capleton in PDX on Saturday. I want to see Mr. Knox as well.
October 12, 2012 05:37PM
and Jah Thunder!
October 12, 2012 05:38PM
Ninja
the problem is that Capleton makes GOOD GOOD TUNES....I can hear him now "FOOD IS THE STAFF OF LIFE" Don't DIS the TRINITY...RAGGY ROAD...WHO I AM...etc. IF the guy didn't make so many BIG TUnes this wouldn't be even relevant.

Bigg tunes!!!
October 12, 2012 05:53PM
FIRE..uh OH OH. FIYA uh OH OH OH....BIG UP JAH THUNDER
October 12, 2012 06:50PM
1 Word, can make we move onward, LOVE is a very strong word! Forward ever ya'll..... I highly suggest we all take a moment to listen to the words of this song, and then let us reflect that and turn our energy to more important issues that are facing us in the world right now! How many of you have heard the ads saying No to prop 37, can you believe, I mean WTF!!! I didnt know us having the right to know if our food contains gmo's was gonna harm small mom n pop biz....

Kulcha Naki Knox along with Tuff Lion... not jus singing the word, but walking it too! Yes Ninja, I hope you fulljoy his set on Saturday, wish I could be there too - Blessed Love!!!
October 12, 2012 06:50PM
Big difference between spiritual fiyah of Rastas and physically hanging gay people ALIVE from trees, shooting them in the head, or carving them up. And no, I am not gay, but a happily married man with two beautiful daughters who supports the rights of people to love each other and be as happliy married as I am.
October 12, 2012 07:03PM
yes...the other thing is what did our parents teach us about playing with Fire?

This is the Dilema that Rasta faces. The same book that Rasta reference as the basis of their beliefs tells them to DOUSE THE FLAMES as they are not qulaified to hold the matches. The same book asks "who is good in the eyes of the Lord?" and then proceeds to tell you NO ONE. So if you are going to set flames even spirtual one's you should anticipate being consumed by the same fire that you started. IMO
October 12, 2012 07:12PM
So how was the show last night?
October 12, 2012 07:23PM
Bun, how is believing in the equality of humanity, and acting on those principles, extreme?
October 12, 2012 07:45PM
Believing in equality of humanity is not extreme. Acting on those principles may or may not be extreme, it depends on what act is taking place.
October 12, 2012 07:51PM
which one? B Coast?
October 13, 2012 12:22AM
As these subjects get beaten to death all I can think is, everyone on this board who I've met in person has been a wonderful person to meet, regardless of differing opinions on the form. These conversations go in circles and I think its best to just agree to disagree with people online when the views get real passionate on all ends.
October 13, 2012 02:23AM
bun n cheese
I love art, even the violent art.
Perhaps we should scrutinize every boardies taste in films as well....
why limit this to music?
Killing is wrong, yes, but how many of you have a dvd library completely free of violent films? What about boycotting Netflix because some of the movies are of questionable taste?
Lets just live without art entirely to make sure no one gets offended.

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 02:24AM by Original RuffNeck Sol Jah.
October 13, 2012 04:46AM
There is a big difference between watching a violent movie, or even listening to a song with a story about violence (Hey Joe), and preaching a straight up message of hanging gay folks, or shooting them, or carving them up. One is "art" and one is a sermon of hate, imo. I watch violent movies, and I listen to songs that have violence in the story ("Jack Straw from Witchita shot his buddy down..." ) I refuse to listen to a person blatantly encourage violence against people.

And really, don't you think gay people and kids go through enough bullying and harassment to have to listen to a musician sing blatant messages of hate and violence?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 05:01AM by J_72.
October 13, 2012 05:04AM
J_72
("Jack Straw from Witchita shot his buddy down..." )

thumbs up Grateful Dead...good pull!
October 13, 2012 06:32PM
J_72
There is a big difference between watching a violent movie, or even listening to a song with a story about violence (Hey Joe), and preaching a straight up message of hanging gay folks, or shooting them, or carving them up. One is "art" and one is a sermon of hate, imo. I watch violent movies, and I listen to songs that have violence in the story ("Jack Straw from Witchita shot his buddy down..." ) I refuse to listen to a person blatantly encourage violence against people.

And really, don't you think gay people and kids go through enough bullying and harassment to have to listen to a musician sing blatant messages of hate and violence?

Have to?
I don't see how the "have to" applies.
And I disagree, a lot of films promote a lot worse hatred and violence.
Getting used to ppl's double standards on here though, so I guess I've just learned to live with it...

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 08:58PM by Original RuffNeck Sol Jah.
October 13, 2012 07:39PM
WOW, Capleton was so good last night here in Seattle. Best show from him I have seen, and one of the best of the year so far. No bad man lyrics, no batty talk, no negative vibes at all. He seemed to make it a point to talk about "equal rights and justice for all" multiple times between songs last night. Not one protester, just positive, uplifting vibz all night till 3am.

Can't wait to see him again, and seriously thinking of skipping Richie Spice tonight and driving to Portland for more Capleton.

1love
October 13, 2012 07:49PM
Everyone has double standards. There are some things we can stand and some we can't. It's just disappointing to see how many people who love reggae can justify tolerating discrimination toward gays when they would not tolerate it toward other minority groups. Perhaps in the mind we separate 'them' from 'us' and so we dismiss it. Since one of my immediate family is gay, for me its very personal. Now if you F&%$ with the gay community, you're F&%$in' wit Nomo.

Change is best made by talking. Thats what we're doing here, and i thank all the participants. I'm not saying i wouldn't go see Capleton. I don't let others make my convictions for me.

Love that reggae!
October 13, 2012 08:16PM
What double standard? As I stated above, in my mind there is a difference between art and music that has a religious message encouraging the targeting and murder of gay people. A movie with a good plot line is art, a video shot by bin Laden calling for the death of Americans is not.
October 13, 2012 08:32PM
I man stand with Ras James ^

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
October 13, 2012 08:36PM
I man stand wit Nomo as I too have similar folks in my family...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 13, 2012 08:38PM
nomotrouble
Change is best made by [communication]. Thats what we're doing here, and i thank all the participants.
totally agree

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 13, 2012 08:54PM
I man stand wit mi sistrength Haile Bless

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 13, 2012 09:58PM
nomotrouble
Everyone has double standards. There are some things we can stand and some we can't. It's just disappointing to see how many people who love reggae can justify tolerating discrimination toward gays when they would not tolerate it toward other minority groups. Perhaps in the mind we separate 'them' from 'us' and so we dismiss it. Since one of my immediate family is gay, for me its very personal. Now if you F&%$ with the gay community, you're F&%$in' wit Nomo.

Change is best made by talking. Thats what we're doing here, and i thank all the participants. I'm not saying i wouldn't go see Capleton. I don't let others make my convictions for me.

You can go see capleton without supporting his anti gay lyrics.. the same with many other artist who have similiar lyrics but also a large colletion of huge tunes... like i said before i have a family member, well technically 2 because of her partner that are gay... and it doesnt affect anything .. it was never even wierd.. i just dont think you can boycott an artist for a song or 2..
October 13, 2012 11:57PM
Each case has to be considered separately Iriebarto because each situation is different. I gladly went to see Buju at SNWMF, have a nice video of it and love it. You have to judge what's in the heart of the artist and for me seeing them live helps. I realize religion sells the whole bill of goods and many involved in it don't feel they can ignore that which their preacher preaches, even though many do. I couldn't subscribe to something that demonizes one group of people. If religions does, that's proof to me that its made up. Do you really think a supreme being would say, ya, but not these gay people.

But i think you are wrong in saying that you can go see an artist without supporting what they sing about and communicate. You're supporting them all right, all of them. It's like saying you can go to Chick Fil A without supporting the anti gay marriage groups. You really are, because the owner donates money made through the company to those groups.

And what are you supporting if you go see Ted Nugent?

J72, i'm not disagreeing with anything you said, what i mean by double standards is like this: though i have some moral stances, they may not be born out by my actions. Today i went to see a movie, and i think i may have inadvertently promoted some things i don't like. i filled up my gas tank with 80 bucks worth of gas at 4.75 a gallon at chevron, polluted the air while i drove by myself to the theater, ate some popcorn that was most likely GMO from freakin monsanto, and drank some high fructose corn syrup soda to wash it down. By buying these things i'm convincing these companies to produce more. I'm so ashamed of myself i gotta go medicate.

Love that reggae!
October 14, 2012 02:51AM
So you said youd go see capleton... so you support anti-gay lyrics like the rest of us that would see capleton

This logic makes no sense to me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 02:52AM by iriebarto.
October 14, 2012 03:20AM
Capleton already signed the Compassion Act, so he won't be performing any of his anti-gay material abroad and it should be a moot point. Gays have the right to marry, but people have the right to see whatever concert they like also. Live & let live extends to all sides.
October 14, 2012 03:37AM
Chimino
Capleton already signed the Compassion Act, so he won't be performing any of his anti-gay material abroad and it should be a moot point. Gays have the right to marry, but people have the right to see whatever concert they like also. Live & let live extends to all sides.

Exactly
October 14, 2012 03:38AM
I would gather information before convicting him, and there's nothing like going to a concert. and he signed the comopassion act, so maybe thats enough? I'm just saying i would look at it fairly before i decided.

Love that reggae!
October 14, 2012 03:44AM
Chimino

Well that makes it all better for the gay people in JA that live in daily fear and anxiety.
October 14, 2012 03:48AM
J_72
Chimino

Well that makes it all better for the gay people in JA that live in daily fear and anxiety.

So what is YOUR ideal solution J?
All I am reading from you is complaints and accusations....
Any insight into what would improve conditions in your opinion?

Cesar Chavez
October 14, 2012 04:10AM
Just support the gay community in their struggle for equality, that's all.
October 14, 2012 03:08PM
So you would make this mandatory?

Cesar Chavez
October 14, 2012 03:20PM
Just equality, that's all.

I'm out, have a great day.

Peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 03:31PM by J_72.
October 14, 2012 03:20PM

So what is YOUR ideal solution?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 03:22PM by Daniel.
October 14, 2012 06:33PM
saw King Shango last night. GREAT show! .Kulcha Knox LARGE!. Jah Thunder LARGE...Nice spot in a warehouse in SW PDX. Ital VIbes put down the sounds in between. Chalice Row was in the house and the place was PACKED. Mutant Audio sounded very good. Seen more Rasta then I have seen in a LONG time in PDX....Rasta came out of the hills for this one. NO NEGATIVE VIBES at ALL....Equal Rights and Justice for ALL was the mantra. VERY happy to get to see Capleton and see that it was far from the hanging rope Stage Show the cartoon implies. Never thought that it would be but was nice to see nothing but happy people of all shapes sizes and colors.
October 14, 2012 07:18PM
Of course he won't sing those lyrics in the US, so I am not sure why people keep saying that. And how genuine can his calls for unity and equal rights be knowing he records the songs in question? And how long will the reggae community keep justifying it?

I'm done, keep turning a blind eye....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 11:51PM by J_72.
October 14, 2012 07:38PM
Finally
October 14, 2012 08:56PM
J_72
Chimino

To be fair, not all gay people live that way in JA. Have you ever been to New Kingston? There are lots of homosexuals there. Even where I live I have lesbian neighbors. The Prime Minister here has even been very vocal about gay rights. I think you'll find the vast majority of people in this country, even if they feel something is wrong, are pretty live and let live.
October 14, 2012 09:11PM
Ras James
J_72
Chimino

To be fair, not all gay people live that way in JA. Have you ever been to New Kingston? There are lots of homosexuals there. Even where I live I have lesbian neighbors. The Prime Minister here has even been very vocal about gay rights. I think you'll find the vast majority of people in this country, even if they feel something is wrong, are pretty live and let live.

Thank you for shedding that light ... good to hear from someone who lives there and knows..
October 14, 2012 11:44PM
iriebarto
Finally

Finally you can just be irie and not worry man...just dance to the music dude....don't let those homos bother you...irie man irie....

James, I have met gay people from Jamaica who moved here to avoid the harassment, but it is good to know the PM is speaking about it. Peace Man.
October 15, 2012 12:42AM
One man cant change the mind of many.. so live and let live like dem say ... iam. Not a bad person cuz i go see capleton live so keep trying
October 15, 2012 12:53AM
iriebarto
One man cant change the mind of many.. so live and let live like dem say ... iam. Not a bad person cuz i go see capleton live so keep trying

Of course that doesn't make you a bad person.
That's the issue I have with these gay rights supporters.
It's all or nothing with them.
As J72 said, he isn't going to be happy until EVERYONE supports gay rights.
Whereas, others may not be so extreme and are actually willing to come to some sort of compromise....

Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 12:35PM
nahikuroots
I also have a fantasy where all DJ's rally and boycott dancehall in defense of all the "murdered soundbwoys".

bout fell off my chair kinda funny
October 15, 2012 01:52PM
Asking for equal rights is extreme? Funny, I thought singing about shooting, killing, and hanging gay people was extreme.
October 15, 2012 01:54PM
"One man cant change the mind of many.. so live and let live like dem say ... iam. Not a bad person cuz i go see capleton live so keep trying

That's the issue I have with these gay rights supporters.
As J72 said, he isn't going to be happy until EVERYONE supports gay rights.
Whereas, others may not be so extreme and are actually willing to come to some sort of compromise...."

First of all, one man CAN change the minds of many...it's done all the time.

Secondly, change the word 'gay' in this paragraph to any other minority group. Like black....

That's the issue I have with these black rights supporters.
As J72 said, he isn't going to be happy until EVERYONE supports black rights.

Sounds pretty bad like that, huh?

That's the issue I have with these womens rights supporters.
As J72 said, he isn't going to be happy until EVERYONE supports womens rights.
Whereas, others may not be so extreme and are actually willing to come to some sort of compromise...."

BIG BIG up J72

Love that reggae!
October 15, 2012 02:27PM
J_72
Asking for equal rights is extreme? Funny, I thought singing about shooting, killing, and hanging gay people was extreme.

Not being willing to compromise is extreme, yes.
Even if I did agree with you, that viewpoint is very unrealistic....

Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 02:41PM
The only rights anyone wants to 'compromise' on are others rights.

Love that reggae!
October 15, 2012 02:50PM
I don't mean compromising on rights per se.
What I mean is to think that everyone will accept gays is very unrealistic.
And unfair to others beliefs be they religious, social, etc.

Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 02:54PM
Holy moly right now. This thread has become an extreme exersize in redundancy....but ive gotta say, I do respect the passion some of you folks have concerning your ideals. Nice to see people stand firm in their beliefs every once in a while....
October 15, 2012 03:04PM
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

Love that reggae!
October 15, 2012 03:05PM
all men

Love that reggae!
October 15, 2012 03:13PM
"For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required."

Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 04:09PM
AND ALL women!

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 15, 2012 04:22PM
Ras Danny
AND ALL women!

Exactly....

Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 04:37PM
I think the goal of any "movement" should not be to oppress the thoughts of others. I can't make Capleton like gays any more then I can the Pope. They have the same view on the subject. You may think the rope that Capleton offered to gays is bad but I would prefer it to being told that when I die I will not only suffere I will suffer in the worst way for being who I am and then beyond that being told my suffereing will NEVER end. I Believe in the right to play a show and the right to protest a show. Having said that I would say maybe 1/3 of the crowd may be aware of his views. the other 2/3rds ZERO clue, they just came to see a good stage show and that is what they got. Don't fool yourselves into thinking may of the same artitst we big up on a daily basis don't feel the same way. They just don't say it.
October 15, 2012 05:04PM
Ninja
I think the goal of any "movement" should not be to oppress the thoughts of others. I can't make Capleton like gays any more then I can the Pope. They have the same view on the subject. You may think the rope that Capleton offered to gays is bad but I would prefer it to being told that when I die I will not only suffere I will suffer in the worst way for being who I am and then beyond that being told my suffereing will NEVER end. I Believe in the right to play a show and the right to protest a show. Having said that I would say maybe 1/3 of the crowd may be aware of his views. the other 2/3rds ZERO clue, they just came to see a good stage show and that is what they got. Don't fool yourselves into thinking may of the same artitst we big up on a daily basis don't feel the same way. They just don't say it.

Or they do say it, just not as extreme so it goes unnoticed
October 15, 2012 05:14PM
to mi the issue is not what Ones 'believe' but that Ones have respect and tolerance for all other human individuals
walking the surface of this planet, regardless of what each One thinks, feels, believes... jus plain respect

each a wi is due at least that

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 15, 2012 06:06PM
Yo so u saw the capleton show......did it change your views on homosexualtiy? No............I think Breaking Bad is the greatest show ever. Much acclaimed, award-winning. It glorifies Meth and murder. I love the characters....I hate meth and what it does to people and all factors surrounding it. Bad Bad. U have a strong mind and can make it up for yourself. Sticks and Stones may brak my bones but words will never hurt me.
October 15, 2012 06:39PM
listen like I said. I am for all people having the right to determine THEIR own destiny in peace and with a level of dignity that should never be comprimesed. I also know that Martin Luther King would be rolling over in his grave if you told him that the goal had gone from "think what you want but let me live" to "Let me live and think like me". I am not for anyone forcing anyone to believe anything. This goes the same way for any group of society. Thoughts are where I draw the line. I don't care what you think, just leave it up there for your own eyes and internal ears.
October 15, 2012 08:52PM
October 24, 2012 01:22AM
gonna call Peta on this thread...animal abuse...ya'll beatin this horse to death...lobbyists should be in the capital not a festival forum...this ish is gay Im out
October 24, 2012 04:41AM
CINCYSTAR
gonna call Peta on this thread...animal abuse...ya'll beatin this horse to death...lobbyists should be in the capital not a festival forum...this ish is gay Im out

...and with that you reveal your ignorance to everyone here. This is a place to reason about reggae and the issues that affect the music, and all of us. Don't let the door hit you in the batty, man.
October 24, 2012 05:41PM
this is the first troll I have come across since I have found out that Troll is a universal term in many different forums.
October 24, 2012 06:14PM
easy, that troll is a partner of yours.
October 25, 2012 06:12AM
CINCYSTAR

this...looks...awfully...familliar...am...i...the...only...one...who...picked...up...on...this...irie?...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login