Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jimmy Cliff Matisyahu

Posted by digitalguise 
Jimmy Cliff Matisyahu
October 01, 2012 03:49PM
Did any of you check out the Jimmy Cliff show at Shoreline on Saturday?
After seeing him there, I am really happy we got to see him very early on this tour. The band just phoned it in, except the drummer, he was awesome.
Jimmy shouted his way through his set, seldom hitting those sweet notes I am so used to hearing. Is his voice shot?

Matisyahu, so different looking after his trip to the barber! The crowd responded to him very well. From the photo pit it was impossible to tell what he actually sounded like because of the overwhelming bass tones coming from the speakers located in the photo pit.

Re: Jimmy Cliff Matisyahu
October 01, 2012 04:33PM
I saw Jimmy this year and he was awesome! Still hitting those sweet notes no problem. Maybe you saw him on an off night. The Jimmy Cliff set I saw was one of the best sets i saw this year. He has still got it for sure.
October 01, 2012 04:37PM
Is that Matisyahu or Rick Springfield??
October 01, 2012 04:38PM
Jimmy was awesome at SNWMF.
The tour started in May. After all these dates, he is not putting out the same quality. A conversation with some of the band members let me know that they knew the show wasn't stellar. They are tired, and this was the 2nd last show on the tour. They want to go home.
I have seen JC many times. This was a very disappointing show. I understand the occasional bad performance.
I hope the rest heals his pipes.
October 01, 2012 05:00PM
I saw him the weekend after snwmf in portland and he was also awesome! He must just be worn out!
October 01, 2012 05:09PM
I caught both sets at the shoreline Kim and was also underwhelmed by Jimmy's set... As always it was a pleasure to see him, but even his outfit was under stated compared to SNWMF... I guess it's a testament to how seriously our humble little fest is taken by the reggae massive.

I was really looking forward to seeing Matisyahu as well, I hadn't kept up with his music since the first time I saw him live at a raggamuffin fest years ago, I guess I should have... Completely different and I missed his amazing voice, that first time I saw him live he hit some incredible notes! Not so much these days... But he did pull off one of the most incredible stage dives I've ever seen live, I REALLY wish I had brought at least a small cam to catch him standing on the hands of the crowd backlit by the stage lights... Incredible.

Sorry to have missed you though Kim... Next time!

Bless up.
October 01, 2012 05:14PM
By the way Kim, your phot of Vaughn at Earthdance last year is one of my favorite Midnite shots I have ever seen! The one where Vaughn is pointing and Ron is in the background! Great shot! Well done!
October 01, 2012 10:45PM
How did I miss you Christopher? You are a tower of a man! We were looking for you over the crowd, but... never got to see you.
Next time.
I was far from impressed by Matisyahu. I like a sweeter sound outa him. But, I see such a change in his music that I am looking forward to more of it because it is very fluid, and changing. What direction will he grow in and what will that lead him to create next?
He is one to watch. The new look is a real giant transformation. Under the earlocks and long hair, I thought him a tad wimpy. He is far from that now.
Thanks rosta8888. I get lucky sometimes.
Roy
October 04, 2012 11:52AM
Jimmy is on tour this fall - opening for the Dave Matthews Band. Seems like a strange combination to me.
October 04, 2012 08:02PM
Roy
Jimmy is on tour this fall - opening for the Dave Matthews Band. Seems like a strange combination to me.

This isn't the first time, I saw Jimmy open for DMB in 1999. It's not uncommon for reggae groups to open for DMB, I saw Steven Marley open for them in 2006 and Vusi Mahlasela has joined them on stage many times.
October 06, 2012 06:34AM
anytime I get to see a living legend I'm stoked....wasnt his strongest set but hey..

as for Matisyahooo....ARE YOU FN Kiddin me? That was some kind of maroon 5 lead singer wanna be with a band stuck on feedback power chord/rock jammin. ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. What I saw was a guy trying to remove himself from the box he put himself in by doing a complete 180. you wanna re invent cool more power to you but drop the name or something.

what the hell was up with rubbing the fuzzy stage props and the crouching turtle emo frontman singing style....??
October 06, 2012 12:37PM
Did Jimmy have the drummer with blonde-died hair? That would be a schoolmate of mine, Scott Abels.
October 06, 2012 04:30PM

Scott Abels beating up the Gretschs.
October 06, 2012 04:39PM
May I share this with him on Facebook?
October 06, 2012 06:25PM
please do!
Ask him if he remembers meeting me backstage during his stint as security guard. smoking smiley
He was representing GenHydro.
October 06, 2012 09:35PM
Scot Abels is the FN man!! The Aggrolites, The Bastards!!! The dude is a mad man.....
October 06, 2012 11:14PM
I said it before in my first post. Everyone mailed it in except this guy. He killed his drums! Positively slayed every rhythm. Then he slayed the Hennessey. Then the CA green slayed him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login