Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

buju article

Posted by Ras_Adam 
buju article
October 10, 2012 04:12AM
Re: buju article
October 10, 2012 04:46AM
This whole situation makes me feel confused and really depressed. All in a way that I think is different than Buju must feel. I'm just really disappointed with him and the US. Two nouns I've always had faith in. :-(
October 10, 2012 05:18AM
Feel ya Lion, for I, the sentiment I have for Buju, is kinda like that love you have for a family member that "disappoint", while the sentiment I have for the U.S. system is more like "par for the course"...sad but true to I
October 10, 2012 05:19AM
Keep encouraged still Lion, as it was writtten, so shall it be...May we keep focus with the Third Eye
October 10, 2012 02:13PM
He should do the time for the crimes he is responsible for committing, but the gun charge is straight BS and should have been thrown out... I am not going to chant 'FREE Buju', but I will certainly chant 'Justice for Buju'.
October 10, 2012 03:44PM
Buju should have told his "Driver!, don't stop at all". No big revelations here. Prohibition is dirty business. Attacking the supply doesn't address the demand and the "Justice" system cares more about quotas then morals.
October 11, 2012 04:45PM
Buju made two major mistakes: messing with cocaine, and not taking the plea bargain which was offered. His music career may be over, but at this point I just hope he survives prison and is able to make something of his life if/when he gets out.
October 11, 2012 05:57PM
when Buju comes out his career with SKYROCKET. He will still be able to go to Europe and Japan. I have never heard of either a reggae or hip hop artist who's spending time in prison has effected their fan base. Just my thoughts.
October 11, 2012 06:02PM
Ninja
when Buju comes out his career with SKYROCKET. He will still be able to go to Europe and Japan. I have never heard of either a reggae or hip hop artist who's spending time in prison has effected their fan base. Just my thoughts.

Maybe parts of europe, but most likely not the uk. And even less likely japan - japan is VERY strict with work permits/immigration/drug laws.
October 11, 2012 06:11PM

I have never heard of either a reggae or hip hop artist who's spending time in prison has effected their fan base.

How's Jah Cure's career doing these days? I heard he would be the next 'big thing' when he got out of prison, and have hardly heard a word about him since being released......
October 11, 2012 06:13PM
Daniel

I have never heard of either a reggae or hip hop artist who's spending time in prison has effected their fan base.

How's Jah Cure's career doing these days? I heard he would be the next 'big thing' when he got out of prison, and have hardly heard a word about him since being released......

Horrible comparison. Buju was a LEGEND when he went in. Jah Cure was the next big thing but only a blip on the history of reggae.
October 11, 2012 07:01PM
Ironically, today is Jah Cure's birthday. Happy Earth Strong to the Cure on his 34th! As far as his fame or success...He headlined at Sumfest last year, was married soon after and seems to have taken the year off. I would guess that after 7 years in prison he is happy just to be free. He is signed with Sobe entertainment. They seem to be taking their time releasing "World Cry". Who knows what their plans are?

Unfortunately Iyah Cure is just another man and just as tempted by the lures of babylon as any of us. Check his Twitter and Instagram feeds. He obviously does his share of consuming flashy products sad smiley

October 11, 2012 07:11PM
BUJU BANTON is probably the most famous Jamaican musician not named Marley. Jah Cure is a really good singer from Jamaica. Jah Cure went to prison for RAPE. Buju went for attempting to sell coke. I do not condone selling cocaine but in my mind it is not even in the same world as multiple men forcing a woman to have sex with them. NOW, was I there no. BUT if you are wondering what may have slowed the career of Cure it is probably that charge....See Chris Brown for details.
October 11, 2012 07:31PM
Keep in mind that Twitter is Not the pulse of the world but in a world of 7 billion it is pretty easy to find followers.
@freebujubanton = 3,048 followers
@CureAgain = 87,460 followers
@damianmarley = 128,502 followers
@bobmarley = 354,022 followers
October 11, 2012 08:06PM
everyone knows Youtube is the pulse of the world
October 12, 2012 01:39PM
Ninja

He's 39 years old right now sentenced to 15 years in prison. He'll be a sympathetic case when he gets out but likely as relevant as Burro Banton where his career will be concerned. And that's assuming he survives prison, which is never a given.
October 12, 2012 03:27PM
I can't think of a profession where age means less then being a musician. to think that Buju Banton is going to be seen on some level like Burro Banton is to really not understand how deep his music has penetrated. Roots fans like Buju. Dancehall fans love Buju. Hip Hop heads love Buju. These same people (speaking of the average person) have no idea who or what a Burro Banton is. They think it is like Bruce Li replacing Bruce Lee. I HIGHLY doubt he will be spending the next 16 years in prison. Call it a hunch based off of nothing.
October 12, 2012 04:01PM
"I can't think of a profession where age means less then being a musician"
I second that (Although I might add Teachers, Politicians and Artists of other mediums). I saw the Abysinnians last month at The New Parish and I would guess that they are all over 60.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login