Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sending large photo files

Posted by Sista Irie 
Sending large photo files
October 14, 2012 08:04AM
Need some advice on best way to send large photo files/folders FREE using a zip system. I cannot get logged into Winzip it keeps telling me I have an internal error when I try to log in. Other places seem to want a credit card even with a free trial. I am afraid to do that and only need to send large files off and on throughout the year so it is not cost effective.

Any ideas? Give thanks.
Re: Sending large photo files
October 14, 2012 08:12AM
Just go to this page and then click on the 'download WinZip now' link. You don't even need to fill in the email box above it. I'm not sure what kind of computer you have, and what sort of firewall you may have but, on my computer, a little dialog box appears stating 'Do you want to run or save WinZip.exe'? I just run the program and in installs just fine for me....

Then, once you've zipped your files up, you'll need to upload them to sendspace.com or some other similar web site and provide the recipient with the URL of the file you've uploaded
October 14, 2012 09:41AM
Hi Daniel, I found the Mac version and downloaded. When I open it says it is not supported on this kind of MAC. I have a 10.6.8 operating system- very updated. Kind figure out why this won't work. Seems like my MAC as much as I love it and will continue to use it, has handicapped certain potentials.
October 14, 2012 09:49AM
Dropbox is also a good option SisIrie, you can go to their website and download it www.dropbox.com along with letting you sync files across all your devices (home, office computers even smart phones) it also has a public folder that you can put files in and send links to other so that they can download your files... If winzip isn't working for you, your MAC should have "StuffIt" and StuffIt expander built in those are Mac's versions of winzip.
October 14, 2012 09:50AM
Oh yeah... The first 2 gigs of space is free no credit cards needed.
October 14, 2012 10:16AM
Give thanks Chris. I just loaded Dropbox and came and saw your post. SYNCHRONICITY! let's see if that will work, trying to share SNWMF photos with Daniel.
October 14, 2012 11:26AM
Dropbox is cool, there are lots of service out there. Google drive and SkyDrive both give you more space.

But that doesn't address your file compression problem. Go get 7zip for zipping your photos into one file. It's free and mac compatible. Once zipped, you can use any of the above tools, with their local client installed, to drag your zip file into the folder that syncs to the online storage area. Most of the time you have to use the client for large files since the website upload feature limits the file size.
October 15, 2012 02:03AM
If you are on a mac u dont need winzip at all. That function is built-in to the finder. Just put all your photos in a folder. Select the folder. Go to the file menu and choose "create archive" and it will compress them and create the zip file you want. then you can send using one of the various file transfer sites like sprend or dropbox.

If you have mac questions you are always welcome to PM me and i am more than happy to help.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 15, 2012 05:38AM
Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate all the help and advise.

Hi Grade- I work exclusively on MAC so I am going to try that tonight when I get home from work. I had no idea about the create archive.

Here's a photo from Barrington's show last night. Had a very long private talk with him and heard his new single not yet released. It's a wonderful love song with Mr. Vegas and exemplifies the best of romantic dancehall in my opinion.

October 15, 2012 10:08AM
sista-

i was typing on the ipad last night so i was unsure of the language used in the menu option. checking this morning on my desktop, it just says "Compress" as the option under the file menu in the finder (aka the desktop)....

smiling smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 15, 2012 10:14AM
As others have stated above, Dropbox seems to work great for sharing large files.
October 15, 2012 10:19AM
SkyDrive gives you 7GB free... Dropbox is 2GB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login