Midnight Ravers
October 15, 2012 12:40PM
would this song have gotten Robert Nesta Marley "protested"? What about the cover the original cover of the record Confrontation showing Rasta on the back of a White Horse driving a Joust through the heart of a Dragon wearing a "Pope Hat"...sorry don't know what thing is called. Not trying to start contreversy just more so wondering how the most "marketable" name in the history of reggae would be recived today in the "marketplace"
Re: Midnight Ravers
October 15, 2012 01:42PM
No response, not surprised....

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 01:55PM
the Marley name seems to be INVINCIBLE.
October 15, 2012 02:33PM
Pretty much.

We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.
Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 02:58PM
...or some people have to work and can't respond right away, geeze.

Is Marley talking about hanging gay people from trees or shooting them in the head? No. Another attempt to justify murder music. And no, I don't agree with bombing a church, shooting a sheriff, or hatred against Catholics . Unlike many on this forum, no artist or music is so important to me that I would sacrifice my principles so I can listen to music.

Peace

PS Just to be clear- I have already said a few times I support an artist's right to sing hate music. I support your right to listen to that music. I also support the right of the gay community to stand up for their rights as well and use economic and political pressure as tools of protest. I also support my rights to keep fighting for equality for humanity, whether on this forum, at a parade, not supporting these artists with my money, voting or just talking to people.

I have expressed all my opinions in this post, so I am TRULY done. The horse has been beaten, has died, and needs to be buried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 03:00PM by J_72.
October 15, 2012 03:01PM

Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 03:02PM
midnite ravers has nothing to do with partying or cross dressing..

trust..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 03:27PM by bigvein.
October 15, 2012 03:08PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 03:14PM by J_72.
October 15, 2012 03:14PM
J_72

Is Marley talking about hanging gay people from trees or shooting them in the head? No. Another attempt to justify murder music. And no, I don't agree with bombing a church, shooting a sheriff, or hatred against Catholics . Unlike many on this forum, no artist or music is so important to me that I would sacrifice my principles so I can listen to music.

Peace

PS Just to be clear- I have already said a few times I support an artist's right to sing hate music. I support your right to listen to that music. I also support the right of the gay community to stand up for their rights as well and use economic and political pressure as tools of protest. I also support my rights to keep fighting for equality for humanity, whether on this forum, at a parade, not supporting these artists with my money, voting or just talking to people.

I have expressed all my opinions in this post, so I am TRULY done. The horse has been beaten, has died, and needs to be buried.

Quick question first.
How many tunes does an artist have to record with "hate lyrics" for ALL of his music to be considered "hate music"?
Or is it even one offensive line or verse that makes that artist a "hate artist"?

Cesar Chavez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 03:24PM by Original RuffNeck Sol Jah.
October 15, 2012 03:21PM
How did this thread turn into another gay rights
October 15, 2012 03:30PM
J_72

Just want to make sure, was this a gay horse?? Cuz if so you just wrote a lil hate speech equal to or greater than capletons
October 15, 2012 04:01PM
iriebarto

Your critical reading skills are seriously lacking Sir.
October 15, 2012 04:15PM
Ninja
What about the original cover of the record Confrontation showing Rasta on the back of a White Horse driving a Joust through the heart of a Dragon wearing a "Pope Hat"

Pope hat? Am I missing something, or was the artwork changed? I thought the dragon was a representation of Babylon.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
October 15, 2012 04:32PM
Yeah I've never seen the cover with the dragon wearing a "pope hat." By the way, catholic high school has taught me that type of hat is called a mitre (I think).

www.aztlanroots.com
@ReggaeDelgado
facebook.com/AztlanRootsMusic
October 15, 2012 04:41PM

Whatever its called, I don't see it.
Still waiting on an answer from J.....

Cesar Chavez
October 15, 2012 04:47PM
J_72
iriebarto

Your critical reading skills are seriously lacking Sir.

Your response cleary says because hes not killing gays its ok
October 15, 2012 04:49PM
Original RuffNeck Sol Jah
Whatever its called, I don't see it.
Still waiting on an answer from J.....

I believe the original pic had a pope hat, but it was taken off to make it more marketable. Not sure where I read that.

ORSJ, I am done, as I stated, and summarized my thoughts in my post. I will leave it at that.

Peace Man
October 15, 2012 04:52PM
J_72

Is Marley talking about hanging gay people from trees or shooting them in the head? No. Another attempt to justify murder music.
October 17, 2012 09:54AM
1) Origninal art had Dragon wearing that Pope Hat. It was removed as the people in marketing thought it would be offensive

2) It is meant to be Babylon...Rasta the Catholic Church with Mystery Bablyon the Plauge of Nations.

"Can't tell the woman from the man....they are dressed in the same pollution. There minds are confused with confusion so to their problem seems there's never no solution"

If this aint the club then I don't know what he is talking about. I guess my point is no one should confuse that fact that Bob was a Rasta Man. He felt the same way Capleton does about of lot of these issues. The difference is that (IMO) the music he made was free of that message and was/is for everyone.
October 17, 2012 10:38AM

He felt the same way Capleton does about of lot of these issues.

Please show me a scintilla of evidence that Bob Marley felt that gays should be "String dem up and hang dem up alive", or where bob stated that gays "mi shot up" or that bob stated gays "fi get killed."

It seems to me that some posters here are not seeing the distinstinction between believing that homosexuality is 'wrong' in the eyes of some people (ie. the church and many rastas including Bob no doubt) and advocating violence against homosexuals......
October 17, 2012 11:37AM
Now that we've divided into teams, when are we gonna play kick ball?
October 17, 2012 12:46PM
Daniel I never mentioned Gay people in my original post. Not once. I was asking who is sticking up for the Catholics? Gay's aren't the only group of people who are subject to persecution. No one mentioned that Catholics were/are one of the main targets of the Ku Klux Klan. Should Mitt Romney come out with an add that shows him on the back of a white horse driving a joust through the heart of a dragon wearing the clothing of an Imam I have no doubt in my mind that he would be considered to be "advocating violence" against Islam. I am saying in a "LARGE nutshell" that we support those we like and come up with reasons to see it their way. When we don't we simply don't.
October 17, 2012 01:27PM
Sorry for my interpreting this portion of your original post as being related to the hundreds of prior posts regarding protests

would this song have gotten Robert Nesta Marley "protested"?

Given that you choose the topic for this thread Ninja, perhaps you can enlighten me as to what portion of Midnight Ravers would have gotten RNM protested if not the line that goes "you can't tell the woman from the man cause they are dressed in the same pollution"......
October 17, 2012 02:23PM
Pretty open to interpretation depending on where your sensitivities rest. Considering his animosity towards "Babylon" and the Catholic Church that line could be interpreted as talking about Priests and Nuns.

Personally, I always took it to mean Vanity or Riches were the "dressings" and the "confusion" was Desire and Greed (All tools of the Babylon System). The 10,000 Chariots/Riders who cover their faces are the righteous who have no need to be recognized or individualized in the midst of a "Musical Stampede" "Where EVERYONE is doing their thing"
While Bob certainly had strong beliefs, I think what made him so accepted was his ability to appeal to universal struggles and not FORCING others to see things his way or believe what he believed. Probably why the choice was made to literally tone done the "Confrontation" LP cover. Bob had his faults and in the midst of today's "YouTube Comment" mentality I'm sure he would be criticized for something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 02:25PM by nahikuroots.
October 19, 2012 12:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 03:29PM by norcaljahman.
October 19, 2012 07:25PM
I have made the same observation NCJM, The obvious difference is being a "soundbwoy" is a choice ;-) The underlying conundrum is that while most people advocate "non-violence", what they really mean is non-violence towards themselves or people they care about. Most people still enjoy seeing a bully get there comeuppance. It is a reality of life that we may tell our children not to solve their problems with violence while we have things like Professional Sports & The Death Penalty. It should be no surprise that we resort to tactics of aggression when we struggle to get what we want.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”~Mahatma Gandhi
October 22, 2012 01:56PM
My point was to draw attention to what appears to be a picking and choosing of whom we consider to be protest worthy and whom we embrace often times without question. I used this specific verse because it always made me think he was in some club looking out on the masses and they "stampede" to the music. Whether this has anything to do with what he is talking about or not it made me think of looking out over a crowd of "early metro sexuals" going "WTF? these people have no idea what is even wrong with them so it seems like there is no way to fix it...so they keep dancing" something along those lines. The Catholic argument was one that to me is not questionable. IF you put someone wearing the Pope hat on you are basically saying Catholicism is the religon and faith of the Devil and all who claim to be Catholics are the followers of the devil. Now before you say I am going to far..I am not the one on the back of a horse driving a joust through the heart of any faith. I am just a guy hanging out. What I am saying is a lot of what went on back then, wouldn't simply go under the radar now. He would have been a MEGA star. Just look what happened to Sinead O'Conner....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login