Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Groundation in Portland OCT 26th

Posted by rossta8888 
Groundation in Portland OCT 26th
October 16, 2012 05:32PM

Anyone getting excited for Groundations new tour!! I now I am!! Harrison is the man!! Yes I do like his voice!
Re: Groundation in Portland OCT 26th
October 16, 2012 05:47PM
I like his voice as well, but I also like Neil Young's voice as well - neither of these guys will be ever be lauded for their voices.

The musicianship of Ryan and Marcus is what initially drew me to this group.
October 16, 2012 06:20PM
"Don't know about his lyrics, but he's got a helluva voice." - Woody Guthrie's response when asked about Bob Dylan
October 16, 2012 06:28PM
I'll be there alongside DJ Short Change. Come say hello.
October 16, 2012 06:46PM
Nice Bun N Cheese! I shall, so youll be in the DJ booth sounds like. If i holla Bun N cheese youll know. LOL
October 16, 2012 08:08PM
certainly a group that is quite polarizing. here are a few opinions on a thread started by one of my favorite ex-posters on this forum:

[www.bloodandfire.co.uk]

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
October 16, 2012 09:06PM

Moving Reggae forward----because it, like life, requires progress. Groundation has become a wordlwide phenomenon and every step along the way have pulled up the elders with them, not to mention the next wave of young talent.

All of these shows will be full of people looking to music, and specifically Reggae, for positivity in their lives....and we need more, not less, of this these days. Love it or hate it.....respect it.
October 16, 2012 09:08PM
Whether or not you like the sound of these vocals, it does not sound like the man's natural voice and does sound like he is straining and trying very hard, maybe trying to channel Bob vibe or something (I hear a bit of that.) What is up with this artwork with Don Carlos and The Congos barely visibly listed while Groundation is writ large? Is this an album or tour? Even if these reggae legends are opening for Groundation (which as a roots fan is kind of sad and ridiculous whether or not you like Groundation, in my opinion) what is up with listing their names so comparatively small? seems disrespectful and distasteful to me.
October 16, 2012 09:13PM
DubOrganic
seems disrespectful and distasteful to me.

Easy there...it is the album cover of Groundation's album Hebron Gate. They are featured on 2 of the 10 tracks, hence the featured billing. Ask Don or Cedric & they'll be the first to tell you how much they respect and appreciate Groundation.
October 16, 2012 09:29PM
I said it seems that way to me, don't claim to know what others feel, I don't know Don, met Cedric once and saw him perform, we didn't speak about this topic.. and that is not my point at all, that they feel disrespected.
That type/ billing makes more sense in light of it being an album featuring the heavy hitting original rootsmen, thanks for answering my question ulotrichi.
I saw Don Carlos was opening for Rebelution on tour and as much as he may love that band and working with them, it is depressing to me personally to witness that kind of thing happening. I know it's just part of the biz.
October 16, 2012 09:40PM
I personally loved NWWRF in 09 when Pablo Moses played before Groundation and then came out and played his songs off of Here I am with Groundation. Still one of my favorite nights ever at NWWRF! Groundation always gives credit to the elders of Reggae music. Pablo has a lot of respect for Harrison and the gang.

I dont think that a lot of people know how Groundation started. Harrison taught Roots and Culture at Sonoma State University and that is how he met Ryan and Marcus thee original Groundation members.
October 16, 2012 09:51PM
DubOrganic------I commiserate with your sentiments here.......Don opening for Rebelution, Steel Pulse opening for SOJA, even Pablo opening for Groundation, which rossta mentioned from a few years back, can be hard on the original Roots fans. But the realities of the financials in contemporary times is that these bands are worth more tickets in these respective markets and thus the order of billing.

This is an old debate and I made this point a while back....while Id personally prefer to see Muddy Waters headline over Rolling Stones in 1966, that just wasnt the case. Big thing is that the young acts who pick up what the originators started appreciate where the music comes from and put the shine on the artists who came before them.

Now, to avoid the next debate----Groundation is not the next Rolling Stones (SOJA, on the other hand...), but it is the same pattern we've seen play out numerous times in popular music over the past 100 years.
October 16, 2012 09:59PM
rossta8888, i believe more folks than you think know of harrison's professorial/teaching background; i know i have read it here on this message board more than once. my hunch is that this is one of the reasons some people refer to groundation's style as "over-intellectualized".

mind you, it isn't a term i have used to describe their craft, but i've certainly heard them described this way by others.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
October 16, 2012 10:01PM
Yes i have mentioned that in the past, sorry to sound like a broken record. Just think its very cool where they originated from and where they are heading now. My apologies
October 16, 2012 10:22PM
no apologies necessary. i have actually read that from a couple other people's posts--the first being a couple years ago--and didn't know you had stated it before.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
October 16, 2012 10:25PM
Ya I had posted it on another thread probably a month back and forgot till you menitoned it. We also talked about how they started as Bob Marley cover band in Petaluma, CA and surrounding areas.
October 16, 2012 10:34PM
I get the ticket sales thing ulotrichi, but the modern, relative newcomer bands could insist on equal billing on posters/ tour promo at very least and could still have the roots legends close the show, their fans would still pay to see the show and probably would come earlier and be more exposed to the roots veterans. I would insist on that if I was touring with the giants who paved the way, anything less is disrespectful to their craft and the history in my opinion. None of these bands are anywhere near the commercial level of Rolling Stones, to me that bill with Muddy Waters is different but I completely see what you are saying. This is the vibe I get from these types of bills:

(If the guys in this youtube clip were a bad knockoff reggae band they would be called Dub Hammer and incorporate zero dub mixing process in their sound, or say "Dub it!" live and then have the guitar player switch on an echo pedal for a minute.)

With that said, I do respect the idea of young bands taking their more obscure influences on the road, just rubs me wrong way sometimes.. I know Groundation give credit to and have supported elder reggae musicians and I'm sure the musicians appreciate that.

As far as this singer being a "reggae professor" and even calling his other project Professor, apparently in reference to that, I think is very pretentious. I'm sure there are thousands of people more qualified with deeper, more personal knowledge of this music who would never claim to be such a thing.
October 16, 2012 11:47PM
Funny clip. Steve Buscemi is you in this analogy, right?

I respect your opinion and your right to share it. I also agree that some of the new Reggae isnt that great, especially compared with the orginiators.

My opinion would be that your defense of the sanctity of Reggae from the unwashed masses is not needed. And when you get a band together that packs rooms, you can have whoever close the show you'd like. Same goes for when you get that state college accredited class off the ground.

To each their own.
October 17, 2012 03:30AM
No, Buscemi is playing a fictional character.. I'm not defending sanctity of anything from anyone, just an opinion. I thought the clip was funny and maybe people could relate, think many music fans have been there, done that and can relate to that clip. I have respect for Groundation as a band that works hard and makes a buck for roots artists, no respect for the idea of making reggae music into some kind of academia.

I have played in bands and performed solo to packed rooms and empty rooms (as almost anyone involved in performing for a good amount of time has) What does any of that have to do with my opinion as a fan of music? Are people's opinions not valid until they have walked a mile in Groundation's shoes or tried to start a college course?

Yes to each their own, these opinions don't matter to anyone but us, I like to chat with fellow reggae enthusiasts from time to time and shoot the breeze.
October 17, 2012 01:42PM
Apologies for thread-jacking ulotrichi and rossta, I should not have posted negative things in your thread showing excitement for their shows.. next time will start my own thread for that kind of off-topicness.
When I see any relatively new kids on the reggae block with top billing and the foundation guys names tiny at the bottom, gets me heated.. went off the deep end ranting a bit there...
October 17, 2012 03:55PM
Mac, I fear that if you put the reggae 'legends' on after the acts that people paid to come see, much of the audience would clear out and not catch them. It would be better exposure to put them on just beforehand, or even better yet, to do a tune or two with the headliner.
Meanwhile, just so you know where I stand on the issues: winking smiley
October 17, 2012 04:06PM
Was just listening to U-Roy's new album, stacked with massive singers like Tarrus Riley, Bitty McLean, Horace Andy, Chezidek, Tiken Jah Fakoly, Marcia Griffiths, and ..... Harrison Professor Stafford among others.

Respect!

[www.reggaeville.com]
October 17, 2012 04:47PM
musicians don't seem to mind..like most things it is the "fans" of music that tend to mess things up. Kind of like "fans" of Jesus and Mohammad (Peace be upon him).
October 17, 2012 05:05PM
I understand Dub Organics where you are coming from. Just a thought though, is it possible to that the Roots legends dont want to come on stage at midnite and play till 2am?? This past NWWRF Pato was suppossed to headline but Alcyon Massive played after him. I felt it was because Pato didnt want to come on at 1am. Just a thought.
October 17, 2012 07:40PM
the difference is that Pato knows that NO ONE is going to be there at NWWRF after Midnight on a Sunday night. If it were Sunsplash ROTR or evern SNWMF he and any other headliner worth their salt realizes the closing act is the anchor leg of the relay.
October 17, 2012 10:49PM
From my understanding, the reason Pato went on before he was scheduled to at this year's NWWRF was because he met Luciano for the first time ever in the Press Tent. Although Luci had performed on Saturday, and was just at the fest hanging out on Sunday, Pato asked Luci to come up on stage and do a song with him. Luci agreed to do so...but I have a feeling that he needed to leave earlier rather than later...thus, Pato's set got moved up a notch.
October 18, 2012 02:38AM
that is not true, Joe... they both played the 2007 fest, and met then...
they seem to forget that this year... older age, memory fading...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
October 18, 2012 03:25AM
as for the topic at hand here, I really don't get excited over Groundation.
I go to the shows basically becas I feel it is my duty to be at as many
reggae shows that come through here as possible... but I most all ways
leave early.... it jus doesn't do much for me my most favored part of their
set is the part when percussionist Mingo Lewis Jr. does his solo!
that moves me!

Harrison now, as The Professor... these recording are a whole different
thing! I feel this stuff although I have not yet checked the latest, Throw
Down Your Arms...

my 2 cents

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 18, 2012 11:25AM
Another day but the same arguments the same board. Have fun!
October 18, 2012 03:18PM
Ras Danny
that is not true, Joe... they both played the 2007 fest, and met then...
they seem to forget that this year... older age, memory fading...

LOL, Ras D...that is too funny!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Pato's crew definitely proclaimed it was the first time the two met...so much so that they posted one of my photos of the two of them on stage together (at the link below) on Pato's FB Page with this comment: "Check out Pato Banton and Luciano on stage. It's the first time they met and they sure did mash up the place!"

Pato Banton & Luciano Together at NWWRF 2012

Now as for the topic at hand, I can't say that I have ever listened to any Groundation at all...but this thread definitely makes me curious to check them out...!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2012 03:32PM by rogueagent.
October 18, 2012 04:16PM
he did not have that same "crew" with him in 2007... so it is somewhat easy to overs that they may not have really known...
there are live witnesses to the 2007 meeting... jus sayin...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 18, 2012 04:40PM
I don't doubt you Ras, just thought it was funny...that's all! smileys with beer
October 18, 2012 10:15PM
Joe you have never listened to Groundation?? You must check them out!! Amazing band!! thumbs up To each their own Ras Danny, I understand Groundation is not everyones cup of tea. THey are not MIDNITE but I really enjoy them. I am ready for more MIDNITE, 7 Generations was like a tease. LOL A tease i enjoyed a lot but I am ready for another show! Maybe February they will be back in Portland or Provolt.
October 19, 2012 12:47AM
e n j o i ~

October 19, 2012 01:46AM
Saw Groundation this summer, and would rate them solid but unremarkable.

To each their own, and take your pleasure where you find it.
October 19, 2012 09:21PM
Where did you catch them Papa Ray?
October 20, 2012 01:37AM
Must have been in Europe. They didn't play in the states I believe.
October 23, 2012 04:53PM
ulotrichi
Where did you catch them Papa Ray?

Mea culpa, y'all----been away a few days, w/ family/debates/Card baseball/leaf raking, etc.

I misspoke, & what I meant was I had seen the numerous clips floating around of live performances & had vetted their latest release on VP. (Mebbe I should refrain making comments right after taking that after-work draw...feeling red smiley)

Can't get past the vocalist, but again--- it's the reason menues are handed out at restaurants.

I WILL be seeing the current edition of the Skatalites tonight, & they shall be joined by a group I personally rank bettah' than Groundation:
the 25 year + St. Louis institution Murder City Players, who drop ska/rocksteady/rub-a-dub/roots with equal facility, have a horn section that smokes, and in vocalist Tony Rome a singer most soulful & sweet, one that doesnt make you wince---actually, at this game he trumps any Cali male vocalist I've seen. Last fall on a double-bill outdoors, they smoked the current edition of English Beat without even trying.

Tomorrow night: Capleton.
October 23, 2012 04:56PM
XACT CHANGE HI FI will be on the 1's and 2's...Should be a MASSIVE turnout knowing PDX.
October 23, 2012 05:44PM
rossta8888
Must have been in Europe. They didn't play in the states I believe.

I played a show with them in San Luis Obispo, CA this past Feb or March. Ryan had told me that they were planning on touring abroad and returning in the Fall to the US in support of their latest release.

Mikey J.
October 23, 2012 06:47PM
Nice Mikey J thank you for sharing! How was the show in San Luis Obispo? beatiful part of california. I am so looking forward to their show in Portland. Ryan is wicked on that bass!
October 23, 2012 07:00PM
I think folks who compare Groundation's newest works against their older albums would notice an evolution in the overall sound, but especially in vocals. Harrison's voice seems to have really opened up over the years, much more comfortable these days with more range.

Still find it interesting how his voice and this band has amassed a massive following internationally while still comparatively underground here in the States. Either way, in my opinion the musiciansis make up the most dynamic contemproary band that plays Reggae music today.
October 23, 2012 09:24PM
rossta8888
Nice Mikey J thank you for sharing! How was the show in San Luis Obispo? beatiful part of california. I am so looking forward to their show in Portland. Ryan is wicked on that bass!

The show was great. I don't listen to much of their studio stuff aside from Hebron Gate, but typcially enjoy their live performances for the shear level of musicianship that they bring to the stage. Been linking with them for shows off and on for about 10 years now and they are very humble and down-to-earth people.

SLO is a beautiful part of the country and I actually live 10mi south of SLO in Shell Beach. I have been blessed to have Midnite over at our house for dinner back in 2005 or 2006 when the band consisted of Vaughn of vocals. Ron on keys, Philip on bass, Dion on drums, and Abijah on guitar. Most people and bands enjoy their time here on the Central Coast of CA. In the past, most would simply pass through between shows in the Bay Area/Santa Cruz and Los Angeles, but more and more have been booking shows in SLO Town and Santa Barbara in the past 15 years.

Mikey J.
AJ
October 23, 2012 11:36PM
papa ray
I WILL be seeing the current edition of the Skatalites tonight
See you there. The five or six times I've seen the Skatalites, they have always been top notch.

My wife & I did enjoy the Groundation set @ SNWMF 2001. I have not seen or heard Groundation since. The drummer did give us a poster. Enjoy the show.
October 26, 2012 01:43AM
Mikey J.
rossta8888

The show was great. I don't listen to much of their studio stuff aside from Hebron Gate, but typcially enjoy their live performances for the shear level of musicianship that they bring to the stage. Been linking with them for shows off and on for about 10 years now and they are very humble and down-to-earth people.

SLO is a beautiful part of the country and I actually live 10mi south of SLO in Shell Beach. I have been blessed to have Midnite over at our house for dinner back in 2005 or 2006 when the band consisted of Vaughn of vocals. Ron on keys, Philip on bass, Dion on drums, and Abijah on guitar. Most people and bands enjoy their time here on the Central Coast of CA. In the past, most would simply pass through between shows in the Bay Area/Santa Cruz and Los Angeles, but more and more have been booking shows in SLO Town and Santa Barbara in the past 15 years.

Mikey J.[/quote

That's awesome! I am a huge Midnite fan. What an experience!! We are so blessed on the west coast!! I used to spend a lot of time in Santa Cruz and had a buddy in SLO. Now that I live in Oregon I miss the ocean but love life in Oregon!
October 26, 2012 03:29PM
TONIGHT! ROLL CALL? Who all is going I would love to meet up with any Oregon boardies.

Tyler
October 27, 2012 10:44PM
Nice to meet you rossta8888

[soundcloud.com]

From last night's session
October 28, 2012 05:10PM
nice clean mix bun, good work with the tempo* slice 'em up xacto
October 28, 2012 10:11PM
was real nice meeting You, Tyler / bless up

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 29, 2012 04:53AM
Thanks for the reply blazeiyah, glad you enjoyed it.

Here is the setlist

Set 1
Undivided Roots - Corner Shop
Amharic - Irie Feelings
U-Roy ft Harrison Professor Stafford - Call On Jah
Tony Tuff - Hold Tight
The Branches - War Race
Johnny Osbourne - Ready Or Not
Michael Prophet - Youthman
Johnny Osbourne - What A Fire

Set 2
Easy Star All-Stars ft Mikey General - Thriller
Easy Star All-Stars ft Luciano - Billie Jean
Mad Bwoy Ft Gregory Isaacs - Rumors
Wrongtom Meets Deemas J - Jump Move Rock
Wrongtom Meets Deemas J ft Ammoye - We Do Dance
Solo Banton ft Michael Prophet - Open Your Eyes
Michael Prophet - Gunman 12"

Set 3
Dennis Brown - Want To Be No General
Linval Thompson - Border Line
George Nooks - Stop That Train
Anthony Cruz - Crying For Peace
Richie Spice - King Land
Jahbalance - Quarter Pound A Collie
October 29, 2012 03:33PM
Yes very nice to meet you to Ras Danny and Bun N Cheese!! I enjoyed the night! JBB played a great set, and Groundation was great as always and the DJ was off the hook! ( I missed Alcyon but i catch him a lot.) Was nice to see such a packed house! I-Taweh in Portland is next!! Not sure i can make it but looks like a great show. George Nooks, Stop that Train. I had never heard that version and enjoyed it Bun N Chesse. Thank you
BZM
October 30, 2012 07:27PM
It was really meeting you, Ras Danny! (if you read this, lol). We in Fishbowl will definitely try to get some recordings for ya soon! Funny meeting someone as tall and skinny as I am, lol
October 31, 2012 05:26PM
Did you meet Ras Danny at the show to BZM? I met him upstairs by the bar and someone was chatting with him as I introduced myself to him. LOL maybe that was you talking to him?
BZM
October 31, 2012 05:52PM
Haha, I met him downstairs before JBB took the stage, my bredren Grant (also known as Elijah Fari) introduced us. I was the six foot five skinny dude wearing tan Nike chino pants, tie-dye shirt and black beanie! also had on a dark blue striped hoodie for much of the show (big mistake)
October 31, 2012 06:03PM
Was it hot in there or what? I was upfront for Groundation and sweated like I was in a dry sauna. I was wearing a yellow Groundation T shirt and jeans. I had on a long sleeve shirt that was a bit thicker and purchased that groundation shirt that night to wear something cooler. I needed a new Groundation shirt anyway, but man was it hot.
October 31, 2012 06:46PM
yep, we met officially, tho been friends on di face fi bit now...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
BZM
October 31, 2012 09:38PM
Of course; no substitution for the real thing though! haha! Random question ,is it true you are mostly a liquid diet man?? Always with the shakes and whatnot? That's what Grant said at least, hahaha!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login