Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Militant

Posted by rossta8888 
Militant
October 16, 2012 02:59PM
How do i describe Militant to someone who I am getting into reggae music. When I used the term to describe a certain song or band he asked me what Militant meant in the reggae world and it stupmed me. Can anyone give me a good definition of what that means so I can explain that to him and better understand myself. I brought up how Militant Peter Tosh was and Black Uhru and Dezarie's Move Militant comes to mind.
Re: Militant
October 16, 2012 03:27PM
wiki sez:

The word militant is both an adjective and a noun, and is usually used to mean vigorously active, combative and aggressive, especially in support of a cause, as in 'militant reformers'.......

.....the current meaning of militant does not usually refer to a registered soldier: it can be anyone who subscribes to the idea of using vigorous, sometimes extreme, activity to achieve an objective, usually political.

For example, a "militant [political] activist" would be expected to be more confrontational and aggressive than an activist not described as militant.

so i think "militant rasta" could fit in the description as well.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 16, 2012 03:30PM
a lot of dictionary definitions use the term aggressive. i would say "staunch, unwavering or vigorous in the support of a belief or cause" is a fairly accurate description of how i interpret the word.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
October 16, 2012 03:43PM
It depends if you are talking about the music or lyrical vibe, I have heard many UK sound men refer to stripped down drum and bass dubs as militant as well. Peter Tosh was militant- recruiting soldiers in Jah army..
October 16, 2012 04:27PM
show them Jacob Miller walking down the street in camoflauge towards the end of rockers.
October 16, 2012 07:06PM

Seems like the key instrument in most "militant" riddims is the snare drum

Other than that, the above examples all work
October 16, 2012 07:50PM
ah. i hadn't thought about that aspect of it. miltant drums like those used for military cadences...... hmmmm.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 16, 2012 08:37PM
Yes syncopated, busy snare rhythm is probably the origin of people calling reggae tunes militant, Sly Dunbar had a big part in the evolution of this style from what I can tell.
October 16, 2012 09:34PM
October 17, 2012 06:47AM
Nice UB40 dub, like the militant intro.. who mixed this?
October 17, 2012 08:32AM
As far as I can tell it's just an extended mix of "Present Arms" from "Present Arms In Dub". UB40 opened their concerts with it for years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 08:33AM by nahikuroots.
October 17, 2012 08:53AM
DubOrganic
Nice UB40 dub, like the militant intro.. who mixed this?

I believe it was the bass player's brother Pablo Falconer, who died in a car crash in '80's
October 17, 2012 09:09AM
THank you everyone for the answer! I had also looked it up on Wiki but was more so interested in others thoughts on the meaning of the word in reggae music. Bless
October 17, 2012 10:29PM
i once heard a certain swami say he smoke herb militantly.
October 18, 2012 08:22PM
Can anyone confirm or deny this?
October 19, 2012 12:25AM
"That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique and in South Africa in subhuman bondage have been toppled and destroyed; Until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will; Until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven; Until that day, the African continent will not know peace. We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil. "

Jah Rastafari!

[www.youtube.com]
October 19, 2012 05:19AM
Oh the irony...
October 19, 2012 08:28AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login