BZM
Midnite's guitar players (Edwin/Edmund), any info on them?
October 29, 2012 10:25PM
Greetings, idrens-

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about these two players of instrument? Next to impossible to find any information on the web about them... I was wondering what kinda wah pedal/delay they use live, their guitar tone at NWWRF 2011 was one of the best I've ever heard!!
Re: Midnite's guitar players (Edwin/Edmund), any info on them?
October 29, 2012 11:10PM
BZM
Greetings, idrens-

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about these two players of instrument? Next to impossible to find any information on the web about them... I was wondering what kinda wah pedal/delay they use live, their guitar tone at NWWRF 2011 was one of the best I've ever heard!!

IMO tone is more a result of guitarwood & craftmanship/pickups/amp than wah and delay although pre processing can certianly tank a soild tone. But i have no idea what they are gearing out on. Maybe nomo got some closeups
BZM
October 30, 2012 12:22AM
It's amazing how much variation in tone there is between even Wahs of the same make and model. They're all 100% unique, but generally models of wah have a particular "voice"... some are more 'funky', some are more 'Jimi' and some are more progressive... and anyone who's ever used both digital and analog delays know the big difference in sound!
BZM
October 30, 2012 12:23AM
Besides... I already know which guitars they use! (Gibson Les Paul Studio Red for rhythm guitar and Goldtop Les Paul with mini buckers for lead guitar)... guessing some kind of Fender amps, as well...
October 30, 2012 01:15AM

I see a fender silverface twin(?) on the right side but didnt watch the whole thing for the other side. Standard backline for reggae guitar, twins and jazz chorus.

I would agree with you to a certain extent but ultimately it is in the entire chain that determines tone and in the case of this tune the guitar players attack/technique adds another tonal level.
BZM
October 30, 2012 06:10PM
Yea... I'm aware of the techniques and strumming patterns that create the sounds coming from the speakers, but I'm mostly looking for how to achieve that COLOR of tone... Midnite has a unique, deep reverb and phaser presence (I'm guessing a Boss Phaser, don't know on the reverb, reverb might be done at the mixing board for all I know)... I need to find that sound!
BZM
October 30, 2012 06:11PM
Basically, what I'm trying to find is what makes their, say, "Ras Mek Peace" tone different from their live tone (other than the obvious, that Tuff Lion was the one playing on Ras Mek Peace)... and in this I'm simply trying to decipher which pedals and amps they're using....
October 30, 2012 06:15PM
Midnite! Love that full recording from Vidbybill! big up to Bill Dewitt. That was a great night!
BZM
October 30, 2012 06:16PM
Yes I, that was a most blessed night... 4 hour Midnite set, after the black clouds swallowed the full moon and put Bob's Ranch into a surreal twilight state! To this date, it was the most intense meditation the I has felt...
October 30, 2012 07:18PM
It does sound like the rhythm guitz has a wha set in a certain position, the mids really cut through the mix. It could just be the hot output of his hummbuckers. The lead player adds nice tasteful color to the meditation, wha etc.

You should just cruz up to the stage next time you check them and see what they use, or try to catch their soundcheck.
Or try some stuff out at guitar center; les paul thru what you described. A multi-fx pedal board is handy, boss, etc.

Finding myself getting into the midnite meditation after years of shows and listening.
BZM
October 30, 2012 07:26PM
As a musician, there are so many tiny treasures hidden within Midnite's music... little accents, indigenous St. Croix rhythms, as well as that spirit of exploration and improvisation... truth seeking in musical form. I've gotten a sound REALLY close to the Midnite lead guitar with both a Les Paul loaded with mini buckers as well as a double cut loaded with P90's (like the one Peter Tosh played), with palm muting and slowly pushing down on the wah pedal, it really helps to get that "honk"!

I'm really looking into upgrading to a Real Mccoy Picture Wah, they're supposed to be the closest thing you can get to an original Italian wah from the 70's!

My current rig is a Blackstar HT-40, into it is going a Crybaby 535Q (don't really like it), Boss DD-7 delay, MXR Carbon Copy analog delay, and sometimes a Boss PH3 (need to get an adapter for it). My two axes are a Gibson SG (with an EMG 81 in the bridge from my metal days) and an Epiphone Sheraton II with stock pups. I feel like the Blackstar has alright clean tone but nowhere near the warmth of a Roland JC-120 or a Twin... I got what I paid for ($600 for the combo amp). Killer gain on the lead channel, though!!
October 30, 2012 08:08PM
Yes, I have midnite's "in awe" in my car and it's been really nice; like the production, sounds, meditation.

Sounds like you have the tools to get the sound your after, maybe not the active pickup. batteriessad smiley
A twin and jc-120 are the industry standard, and are the usual backline at clubs, festivals, etc. I would get a twin or a deluxe reverb, w one 12inch, much lighter transport.

There are so many wha-s to choose from, maybe find one with an adjustable q, or the vintage like you said.

I just use a boss gt-8 cuz I set it and forget it, show to show, and can make adjustments. a lot of times there's not much of a soundcheck to dail pedals in. I like progamming patches for leads, dubs, etc. Plus it's replaceable as far as theft and people stepping on it.

Ulitmately you got to use what you can or have. Make it work Tom Morello from RATM illustrates this.
BZM
October 30, 2012 08:52PM
Yeah, that GT-100 actually looks kind of appealing... you just use it for FX though, right? I don't know if I would trust the amp modelling...
October 30, 2012 09:14PM
I don't use any pre-amps or modelling and create my own patches.
My brother makes boutique pedals, (basic audio) and has made a couple for me, but I'm still happier with the sound and flexability of my boss pedal board. Used a gt 6 for ten years! till the paramater button stopped working, then picked up a cheap used gt 8. solid.
I'm waiting for a color display, solid new boss pedal board.

Anyway as far as the midnite guitz sound, you might need some flexablity to get the two different guitar sounds.
BZM
October 30, 2012 09:24PM
When I saw iKronik band accompanying Chuck Fenda and I Wayne, the guitar player was actually using a Line 6 M13 Stompbox modeller for his FX stuff... but I hate the feel of those, they're light as a feather and feel too "plastic" for me. Perhaps I will have to hunt for a used GT8 or something!
October 30, 2012 09:47PM
i am normally down for all Midnite discussions but this one goes over my head. LOL. I am just a fan, not musical talents here. The guitar lingo is not in my vocabulary. But i hope that this Midnite band stays together for a long time. The best on the planet! IMO
BZM
October 30, 2012 10:14PM
No worries, rossta8888! Without fans and listeners, focusing on the feelings and words of the music instead of the little details (like us musicians sometimes find ourselves doing), the music would be worthless! Songs are nothing without the ears of the massive to hear them and appreciate them.

Even those without a trained ear are privy to pitch, rhythm, tone color, and dynamics (louder/softer/etc)

smiling smiley
October 30, 2012 10:17PM
Yes, Apologies about "talkin shop" here, just reasoning with the bredrin.

Anyway, I agree about the feel about the multi fx pedal boards. They take a bit to get used to the feel. The virtual wha pedal is like a car video game compared to a real gas pedal. Try some out, or check reviews. Not really try to push or sell the multi fx thing, just my experience playing and touring in a reggae band. Lots of options out there. Good luck.
BZM
October 30, 2012 10:49PM
Thanks, and no need to apologize, as we are discussing musical subjects here! Yeah, no way I could ever use one of those "fake" wahs... I did when I very first started with this reggae band, one of those Digitech multi-FX units contained in a wah pedal housing... couldn't stand it. But for phaser/modulation/reverb/delay I could definitely see a multi-FX unit saving me a lot of money! I really just need to get out there and start play-testing some, unfortunately the nearest Guitar Center is 2 hours away! I'll just keep meditating upon it and if Jah will, Jah provide.
October 31, 2012 08:25AM
abja was the best, service the rest !!!

-RASpects+
October 31, 2012 02:25PM
please dont apologize, I am enjoying your conversation! Allows me to see deeper into the music! Bless
BZM
October 31, 2012 03:15PM
Abja... didn't they do a split with Midnite? Never heard them. Good guitar playing?
October 31, 2012 03:52PM
YOu should check out ABJA! Great band from the VI. VIROOTS.com has a good selection. I own Abja's Inna Red I hour great album. Anything from I Grade that i have purchase is top notch. Two albums i really recomend from I Grade are Yahadanai One Atonement sound and THe Nazarene's Meditation sound. One Atonement sound was recomended to me by JPS and a few others on this board and its amazing! THe Nazarene's are amazing. I look forward to more from them. Check out the Pixes too. I picked up their album and sounds a bit like Midnite. You might enjoy the guitar work in it.
October 31, 2012 04:18PM
Abja and Abijah are two different people.

Abja is the Red-I Roots Blues singer from STX that has released 3 albums to date.

Abijah is the guitarist that played with Midnite from 2002-2005:

He's from STT and released "Abijah vs. The Beast" in 1980 making it one of the first VI reggae albums ever released.

BZM
October 31, 2012 04:58PM
Wow, interesting! Will be looking for a copy of Abijah Vs. The Beast... any more info on him anywhere?
October 31, 2012 05:03PM
Thank you Daniel, always clearing things up! I took that as ABJA obviously. The first time i saw MIdnite live was 2008 so this band is the only one i know. Did Tuff Lion ever tour with Midnite?
BZM
November 02, 2012 11:14PM
Don't think he ever did...
November 03, 2012 05:04AM
Yes, Tuff Lion was a part of Midnite while they were doing their thing in Washington D.C., though he left the band prior to their making out to the left coast for the first time in 2002.......
jps
November 03, 2012 01:36PM
And I believe Tuff Lion played guitar on the Ras Mek Peace album as well. One of, if not my favorite Midnite album.
November 05, 2012 07:25PM
Yeah, I am with you JPS that Ras Mek Peace is one of their best albums. Easily top 3. I really like Seek Knowledge a lot.
BZM
November 05, 2012 08:15PM
Ras Mek Peace is definitely in my top 5 reggae guitar albums, CHOICE playing!
BZM
April 24, 2013 09:45PM
When I saw them this time, they were using multi-FX units! Lead guitar player was definitely using a Boss GT-3. Rhythm player was using either that or a GT8 and a Crybaby.

I was also surprised to see him playing his white Stratocaster and not the Goldtop!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 09:45PM by BZM.
April 25, 2013 01:48AM
Ras Abijah also put this one out in 2010: [www.viroots.bigcartel.com]
April 25, 2013 09:34PM
I was able to witness sound check on Sunday in Seattle. These guys are such amazing musicians. RasL was on the bass and was amazing. Edwin was playing keys and rocked and Edmund on his usual guitar. Was fun to see them jam without the Benjamins and see the talent they have. Really enjoyed it!
April 25, 2013 10:49PM
rossta, we saw that for about 20 minutes in Nevada City, very nice indeed. too bad i was out back preparing instead of inside taping....they sounded real nice, no surprise there.

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login