Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: Greetings from Guam! Could use your help

Posted by Jah Son 
OT: Greetings from Guam! Could use your help
December 02, 2012 12:20AM
Greetings from Guam

For the past few years I’ve been the advisor of our school’s Environmental/Recycling Club. Since the summer of 2011, we’ve had a partnership with the local Hyatt Hotel. Each week we go to the hotel, collect their recyclable items and take care of their proper disposal.

This year, the Hyatt has offered an international competition for a sustainability grant. 150 Hyatt hotels around the world nominated a local community partner, and 25 applicants were selected to compete for the grant. We were one of the final 25.

Our club put forth a grant proposal to help fund the initial stages of converting our school to the use of solar panels. The Hyatt added a further competition where each of the final applicants had to submit a video illustrating their sustainability efforts. Those videos will go up on Facebook and YouTube, and starting December 3 until December 31, anyone can view and LIKE them. The video that receives the most LIKES in that time will be awarded a further $10,000 for first place or $5,000 for 2nd or 3rd place.

I am asking for your help in the voting. Below I’ve listed the links to the video. You can vote as many days as you want.

FACEBOOK
St. John's School
Hyatt Regency Guam

[apps.facebook.com]

YOUTUBE
St. John's School Helps Guam Recycle

[youtu.be]

The video is short and I am hoping you will LIKE it. Please feel free to share the links with your friends and family. We’re a small school way out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and can use all the help we can get.

Thanks so much

Tom “Jah Son” Pearson
Re: OT: Greetings from Guam! Could use your help
December 02, 2012 01:21AM
done!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
December 02, 2012 03:19AM
too early....

voting begins Dec 3rd and continues through to Dec 31st. Any votes before Dec 3rd are cancelled.

You can vote every day (please) once the voting starts on Dec 3rd.

Give thanks
Tom
December 02, 2012 07:32PM
Come on Danny!
December 03, 2012 02:48PM
December 03, 2012 08:45PM
Thanks Evan

Every vote helps!

Jah Son
December 04, 2012 12:03AM
I liked it! Nice soundtrack too winking smiley
Got a few other people to go over there & give it a thumbs up
Good luck and Jah Guide Tom!
December 04, 2012 11:51AM
The Hyatt headquarters wrote me today and said they sent the wrong URL for the Facebook video voting. The correct link is:

[www.facebook.com]

You may vote once a day from any (or all) Facebook account(s).

Appreciate any support you can give

Forward
Jah Son

Jah Son
Greetings from Guam

For the past few years I’ve been the advisor of our school’s Environmental/Recycling Club. Since the summer of 2011, we’ve had a partnership with the local Hyatt Hotel. Each week we go to the hotel, collect their recyclable items and take care of their proper disposal.

This year, the Hyatt has offered an international competition for a sustainability grant. 150 Hyatt hotels around the world nominated a local community partner, and 25 applicants were selected to compete for the grant. We were one of the final 25.

Our club put forth a grant proposal to help fund the initial stages of converting our school to the use of solar panels. The Hyatt added a further competition where each of the final applicants had to submit a video illustrating their sustainability efforts. Those videos will go up on Facebook and YouTube, and starting December 3 until December 31, anyone can view and LIKE them. The video that receives the most LIKES in that time will be awarded a further $10,000 for first place or $5,000 for 2nd or 3rd place.

I am asking for your help in the voting. Below I’ve listed the links to the video. You can vote as many days as you want.

FACEBOOK
St. John's School
Hyatt Regency Guam

[apps.facebook.com]

YOUTUBE

[youtu.be]

The video is short and I am hoping you will LIKE it. Please feel free to share the links with your friends and family. We’re a small school way out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and can use all the help we can get.

Thanks so much

Tom “Jah Son” Pearson
December 07, 2012 11:19PM
Reposting since some have written to say they've experienced difficulties with the link I sent. Here's one I've been able to use daily without any hassle

[bit.ly]

All 26 finalists are listed in alphabetical order. We're near the end...St John's School

You can vote ONCE a day EVERY day from each Facebook account you have, from now til the end of December.

Thanks for any support you can show us

Tom Pearson

Jah Son
The Hyatt headquarters wrote me today and said they sent the wrong URL for the Facebook video voting. The correct link is:

[www.facebook.com]

Forward
Jah Son

Jah Son
Greetings from Guam

FACEBOOK
St. John's School
Hyatt Regency Guam

[apps.facebook.com]

YOUTUBE

[youtu.be]

Thanks so much

Tom “Jah Son” Pearson
December 10, 2012 06:47AM
bump.....

just a reminder that you can LIKE every day thru December for our video. Only Facebook likes count.

We're in first place at the moment but my kids go on vacation next week and they'll forget to LIKE every day, so we need any help we can get.

Thanks for any support you can show us.

Jah Son

Jah Son
Reposting since some have written to say they've experienced difficulties with the link I sent. Here's one I've been able to use daily without any hassle

[bit.ly]

All 26 finalists are listed in alphabetical order. We're near the end...St John's School

You can vote ONCE a day EVERY day from each Facebook account you have, from now til the end of December.

Tom Pearson

Jah Son

[www.facebook.com]

Forward
Jah Son

Jah Son
Greetings from Guam

FACEBOOK
St. John's School
Hyatt Regency Guam

[apps.facebook.com]

YOUTUBE

[youtu.be]

Thanks so much

Tom “Jah Son” Pearson
Update: Greetings from Guam! Could use your help
December 13, 2012 07:03AM
bump....

recently the Hyatt Thrive grant administrators eliminated multiple votes made by any one Facebook account on the same day. They had a glitch in the first couple days that allowed some people to make multiple votes. One of my middle school kids said he voted 200 times the first day. 199 of those votes were subsequently eliminated, and we lost a total of 550 votes and fell to 2nd place.

As of just a few minutes ago, we had regained (legitimately) much of our lost ground, and were only a couple votes shy of re-gaining the #1 position.

PLEASE help us out by LIKING our video once a day EVERY day from now til Dec 31st. If you have multiple Facebook accounts, you can LIKE once a day from EACH account.

In less than a week, my students will be going on Xmas vacation, and I know this contest will take a lower priority for them than the excitement of Xmas, even though I will send out reminders on a daily basis.

The link is: [bit.ly]

Evan, I saw your LIKE today but wasn't able to reply for some reason, so thanks! And to all others who have LIKED our video, thank YOU! Please continue to do so ONCE a day for the rest of the month.

Much appreciated

Jah Son
Guam

Jah Son
bump.....

just a reminder that you can LIKE every day thru December for our video. Only Facebook likes count.

We're in first place at the moment but my kids go on vacation next week and they'll forget to LIKE every day, so we need any help we can get.

Thanks for any support you can show us.

Jah Son

Jah Son

[bit.ly]

Tom Pearson

Jah Son

[www.facebook.com]

Forward
Jah Son

Jah Son
Greetings from Guam

FACEBOOK
St. John's School
Hyatt Regency Guam

[apps.facebook.com]

YOUTUBE

[youtu.be]

Thanks so much

Tom “Jah Son” Pearson
December 13, 2012 07:13PM
Nice
Keep da good work goin
Will forward
Mi like
December 13, 2012 09:03PM
Give thanks for your LIKE. It looks as if this will be a very close competition so every vote will matter. If you can LIKE ONCE a day for the rest of the month, that would be great!

Forward
Jah Son

jahguide
Nice
Keep da good work goin
Will forward
Mi like
December 13, 2012 10:02PM
Done.
December 14, 2012 06:52AM
Give thanks! Repeat every day if you can.

Jah Son

J_72
Done.
December 14, 2012 08:32AM
yes forward~
December 14, 2012 09:20PM
Give thanks! Try to LIKE every day if you can.

forward

Jah Son

blazeiyah
yes forward~
December 19, 2012 08:08PM
Greetings

Only a couple more weeks in December and our video contest will be done. It's a VERY close race and we need all the support we can get, especially since school ended yesterday and my kids have gone on vacation. So I can't wander the halls shouting "Please LIKE our video" any more to remind them to vote.

Sure would appreciate any support you can give us

Scroll down to St John's School, VOTE and SHARE. If you can do it once a day, that would be really nice.

See you at SNWMF in June!

Give thanks
Tom "Jah Son" Pearson
OT: Please VOTE for our video to help us win the Hyatt Thrive contest
December 22, 2012 02:08AM
Greetings

Just over a week left in the Hyatt Thrive video contest. We were doing really well until my kids went on vacation. Now I can't remind them to VOTE once a day. So we've fallen to second place and I could REALLY use everyone's help, if you are so inclined.

Here's the link:

[www.facebook.com]

That should get you to the page with the 26 finalists (out of an original 150 entries). Organizations are listed alphabetically, so scroll down to find St John's School. Check out the video if you haven't already..it's about 2 1/2 minutes. Click on VOTE and SHARE. You'll need to be logged-in to facebook, or else you'll have to log-in.

You can VOTE once a day every day for the rest of the month.

Please share with your networks, friends and family.

The organization we are most competing with is a school in Tanzania. My students actually felt they are more deserving than we are, and voted that if we should win, and they come second, we would make a donation of $2,500 to the school and adopt them for future fund-raising. So we'd like to win, so we can help them as well as our own school.

Forward
Tom "Jah Son" Pearson

Jah Son
Greetings

Only a couple more weeks in December and our video contest will be done. It's a VERY close race and we need all the support we can get, especially since school ended yesterday and my kids have gone on vacation. So I can't wander the halls shouting "Please LIKE our video" any more to remind them to vote.

Sure would appreciate any support you can give us

Scroll down to St John's School, VOTE and SHARE. If you can do it once a day, that would be really nice.

See you at SNWMF in June!

Give thanks
Tom "Jah Son" Pearson
December 22, 2012 02:36AM
these new forms of advertising get more insidious all the time

good luck with your contest all the same
December 22, 2012 04:28AM
Not sure what is insidious about my post, nor how it could be construed as advertising.

I realize it's not reggae-related, hence the "OT" in my subject line.

It's a legit request for help to like-minded people, having been a SNWMF Phorum user for many many years.

If it's not clear, my school is a finalist in a grant application video contest sponsored by the Hyatt hotel organization. We are trying to raise funds to start a solar panel project at school. Winner gets $10,000.

I'm simply asking for help from my Reggae family, especially now that my students have gone on vacation.

It takes about two minutes to access the link and vote, and costs you nothing.

I give thanks to all those who have supported our video. Please continue to do so.

Forward
Tom "Jah Son" Pearson
Guam

so nice
these new forms of advertising get more insidious all the time

good luck with your contest all the same
December 24, 2012 09:20PM
i said good luck with your contest, and i meant it.

it wasn't hard to understand what the contest was, or is. and i am not discouraging anyone from voting.

maybe you don't realize, but you're participating in a new web-based form of advertising. you are asking people to connect themselves (by using their personal social network pages) to a corporate entity, who will gain information from each vote and voter. they make a tremendous gain through this effort... with is worth much more to them than the $10,000 that they "give away."

i am not yelling at you, i was just commenting on this form of advertising.

the word Hyatt has now been used in this thread alone over 30 times, which is also advertising.

there are many, many unwitting accomplices in these new, insidious forms of advertising.

regardless, good luck.
December 25, 2012 10:42PM
Your point is well made

Until a few weeks ago, I'd never used Facebook and knew almost nothing about it. I don't have a personal account, and have been using one shared with some friends.

Lesson learned, thanks

Jah Son
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login