Rebel Salute roll call
December 14, 2012 12:13AM
Who is going to this year's two night Rebel Salute show that has moved to Priory Jamaica? I would like to link with some others and possibly ride share.

more love, Sis Irie

Line up not yet announced
Re: Rebel Salute roll call
December 14, 2012 12:29AM
I plan on being there, just trying to work out hotel arrangements
December 14, 2012 02:08AM
this place is sweet a little $$ is close to venue [www.real-jamaica.com]
there is a recording studio here at Papa'a place
so place is hopin with good vibes and natural place people and one of kind
bless up
cant wait to hear the line up!!
December 14, 2012 02:41AM
Want to get my wife to the island but her first opportunity is in February....
Might have to miss it in order to lay out together.

Any ideas yet the bill of talent?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Checked Tony's webpage---Queen Ifrica, Luiano, Prezident Brown, Chezidek & Marcia Griffiths so far....

Wondering if I'll get tempted as in 2012, w a line-up as potent as Errol Dunkley/Max Romeo/General Trees/Eddie Fitzpatrik/Leroy Gibbons/Admiral Bailey & Johnny Osbourne, all in a two hour span!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 02:48AM by papa ray.
December 18, 2012 08:29PM
Looking to head back to Rebel Salute again-excited about the new venue and new format- does anyone know when the full line up will be announced as there is only 4 weeks to go? Looked at the website and seen a few names added in the past week or so but want to get an idea of the fuller line up before booking flights from UK!
December 18, 2012 11:45PM
If you want to go i would say go for the experience. Going based on lineup might just be setting yourself up for disappointment. If you go for the event i guarantee you will be thoroughly entertained.

dj745
Looking to head back to Rebel Salute again-excited about the new venue and new format- does anyone know when the full line up will be announced as there is only 4 weeks to go? Looked at the website and seen a few names added in the past week or so but want to get an idea of the fuller line up before booking flights from UK!
December 20, 2012 04:01PM
papajoshua
If you want to go i would say go for the experience. Going based on lineup might just be setting yourself up for disappointment. If you go for the event i guarantee you will be thoroughly entertained.

dj745

BY FAR the most enjoyable non-sound system music event I have ever experienced in JA. People from all over the island drive to this; family groups, couples, youth, gray-beard, with 98% of the audience Jamaican. The ban on alcohol (altho' vendors outside the event are there to sell a Red Stripe) makes a difference IMO for this being so mellow and no-worries, along with Mr. Rebel running the TIGHTEST on-time festival to be seen on the planet. The attention to sound quality @ the Alligator Pond venue resulted in the best sonic mix possible, and doubtless that will be the intention in this new location.
December 23, 2012 07:22PM
thanks for the input-been monitoring the RS website and seen that there are further additions to the line up and I've booked my tickets.

I agree with what others have said about the 'experience' but you just wanna be sure when you're travelling 4600 miles each way! There are a few artists on the line up that I have not had a chance to see live as well as many seasoned regulars for RS like Luchy.

In fairness, with the event being staged over 2 days I was expecting a much bigger list of artists to have been announced to cover the bigger sized event.

hopefully see some of the board members there!
December 24, 2012 03:02AM
There are six pages of artists here:

[rebelsaluteprod.com]

AND..Maxsalia who works for RS also has posted additional artists including ASWAD, SIZZLA, Jolly Boys and more. Unfortunately, it seems you have to dig a few places to get them all. Love Richie Spice is on the bill. I know for a fact that two major artists are currently under negotiation...hope it works out! fingers crossed.

[www.facebook.com]
December 24, 2012 05:09PM
There used to be big Carnival Soca Shows just west of Priory at Richmond Estates and adjacent Chukka Cove Polo Grounds.

Held on Easter Sunday, these shows were produced by the late Byron Lee and drew crowds of up to 10,000...huge area with loads of parking but the road out gets really jammed when the event lets out.

I will always remember the year my wife and I got stranded there after the show when our taxi driver failed to show up for the return trip to Ochi. This was before cell phones on the island and there wasn't a single taxi anywhere to be had. I finally had to go back to the exit of the show and humbly beg for a ride back to Ochi from the remaining drunks leaving the show.
January 03, 2013 01:07AM
Can anyone recommend a place to stay that is kid friendly. I can not find a baby sister and still want to beable to attend Rebel Salute. Any help would be great. Thanks
January 03, 2013 01:21PM
Greetings, are you asking where there is a place you can stay that will watch your kids while you are at RS?
January 03, 2013 06:58PM
Yes and I found a place. We are staying at Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios. It's a little expensive 350 a night but the people at Rebel Salute recommend this place. It's $5 an hour before 11pm and $10 after for us to have our 2 year old watched. Since the show starts at 8pm she should be asleep when we drop her off. It's looking like it will be turning out nice for us. And who knows depending on how it looks we might take her with us the second night.
Can anyone recommend some dancehalls or any good live shows in the days to follow the festival.
January 04, 2013 12:21AM
There are usually a stream of shows in Negril post Rebel Salute. Not sure I would recommend taking a child to the show overnight but it really depends on this venue. Since I have not been there, I really can't say.

Hope to see you there. I am staying at the Circle B Farm.
January 08, 2013 12:20AM
I will be attending and it will be my first JA trip. Any tips for "non-resort" accomodations on the north coast? ideally in the St. Anns bay or Oracabessa area? anyone have favorite beaches, walks, music clubs to check out while in the area? i appreciate any and all feedback. feel free to send a DM to me of course. many thanks SNWMF massive!
January 08, 2013 01:07AM
Greetings Winsome, It is an area I am totally unfamiliar with. I am staying on a farm in Priory which is definitely NOT standard hotel rooms. You can google Circle B Farm in Priory Jamaica. Not sure if they have more rooms, the setting is mostly hostel altho I did get a private room. It is close to the venue- not quite walking distance and they said about a twenty min walk to the beach or a very cheap taxi ride. I am sure there are other places that are not touristy but it may take me a year or two under my belt to discover them.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions I might help with.

The show is ALL NIGHT, BOTH NIGHTS...wicked.
January 08, 2013 09:32PM
What time should I show up? Will they post a time schedule?
What's up with smoking weed? Is it like SNWMF where I can blaze up Anywhere or do I need to keep it down?
January 10, 2013 01:44AM
Ive never been to Rebel Salute, but Ive been to many other shows and festivals there and throughout the Caribbean and I have one bit of advise:

Watch out for pickpockets; As a tourist your will be a prime target and let me tell you these guys are slick and professional.

Like if your buying food or drink, they will be watching you and where you are pulling your money from...I suggest using Jamaican money and carry small amounts in several places and some backup in your shoes. They will be after your cell phone and camera as well. I'm aware of most of their tricks and tactics now but they got me a few times when I first started visiting the Caribbean some 15 years ago. So be aware and be street smart.
January 10, 2013 03:05AM
Diesel
Will they post a time schedule?

No if they do dont trust it. The show will go till dawn so show up accordingly.
January 10, 2013 03:11AM
papajoshua
Diesel
Will they post a time schedule?

No if they do dont trust it. The show will go till dawn so show up accordingly.

I wouldn't count 100% on the show going till dawn. the 2 day thing might result in the shows ending earlier. The current government has been cracking down on late night stuff hard. These days events in the bay go longer than most events in JA. On weekdays shows have to shut down at midnight, on weekends they can go till 2. Very few shows or dances get permits to run longer (sting is the only thing I can think of in recent memory that wasn't locked off by 3 am latest)
January 10, 2013 04:08AM
I asked the Rebel Salute crew and they said the show would end at 6 a.m. each morning. The line-ups are pretty big so I think it is possible it may be at least that late.
January 10, 2013 04:27PM
Thanks for all the advice. I know it sound stupid but I did get 1 of those travel wallets that you tie under your clothing to our waist and I'm planning on using it.

Major question that didn't get answered. CAN I SMOKE WEED IN THE VENUE OUT IN THE OPEN... Or do I need to hide it. And if smoke weed find me. I'm sending a package down of Cali's finest.
January 10, 2013 06:24PM
Hi Diesel smoking is fine as far as I know.

The question about end time for the show was in my mind too being two nights. Wouldn't want to miss the closing acts!

I normally get there for 9/10pm.
January 10, 2013 09:10PM
Its hard to say because previously it was out in the countryside of St Bess. None of us know much about the new venue although other shows have been held there.

In Alligator Pond, they walk around with long stalks like a bouquet of roses and sell it in the crowd. I have a wonderful photo of that but not where I can add it right now

Hard to imagine a reggae festival in Jamaica without ganja.
January 10, 2013 09:34PM
I don't know about Rebel Salute but a few years ago I got searched pretty hard on entry at GT Taylor Christmas Exta. in Black River. Smoking was fine once you were in tho.....Just remember ganja is illlegal in JA and your from the US. Have fun, one day I will get back and hopefully for dis here one.
January 11, 2013 06:27PM
If anyone is still looking for accommodation in and around the Rebel Salute, Jamaica Ocean View Villa still has availability. We have special rates for for the event.

Email or call" or simply visit our website: [jamaicaoceanviewvilla.com].
January 11, 2013 06:31PM
If you are looking for accommodation, my wife and I own a villa in Ocho Rios, visit our website and send an inquiry, we are offering special rate fot the event.
January 11, 2013 06:33PM
If you are still looking for accommodation we have availability at our villa. visit our website: [jamaicaoceanviewvilla.com] and complete the inquiry form.

Try Reggae Beach and UDC or James Bond Beach
January 15, 2013 03:59AM
Can't wait. We get to Ocho's Rios on Thursday. Does anyone know of anything going on the day before and the day after Rebel Salute in Ocho's Rios? Or Montego Bay the following week?
January 15, 2013 06:40PM
Alot of questions and maybe a little TMI???, i would recommend going with the flow. One of the joys of traveling internationally is to savory the local flavors and rhythms of daily life.

Ya James I know but I could count on this one going till dawn unless Tony pisses off the local police. Something tells me he has already got that undercontrol. What time did it go till for the last 19 showings?
January 21, 2013 09:50PM
From IRIE FM

REBEL SALUTE 2013 was two days of feel good vibes, quality performances, adequate parking and tight security.

The Richomand Estate in Priory St. Ann saw a big turnout on Friday the first night of the festival but it was Saturday night that got the grand gathering.

The veterans ruled Friday. Marcia Griffiths sounded and looked sophisticated, Louie Culture showed us why he’s the original “Gangalee”, General Trees, Professor Nuts and Little John also did well.

But the night belonged to Beres Hammond. Beres captivated hearts with hit after hit. The massive gathered danced and sang along to hits like Step Aside, Pull Up The Vibes and a slew of others.

Tarrus Riley who performed directly after Beres didn’t disappoint. He rose to the occasion and held his own.

Other noteworthy performances on Friday night came from the No-Maddzz, Tony Rebel and Etana.

Meanwhile, Aswad was just blah, they failed to deliver and Shinehead appeared to be out of this world… Well, subsequent his performance Shinehead was seen in the audience stepping extremely “high” and occasionally bumping into people. He later went on stage and pulled the plug on selector SkyJuice during his juggling. Shinehead was also seeing crawling off stage after he made an appearance with Aswad. Shinehead later went back into the audience where he fell asleep in a chair.

At around minutes emcee after 6 Steppa blazed a serious fire during a lengthy band change. Steppa burned corruption, homosexuality and tight pants and just about everything along those lines. But with all that burning the rain came tumbling down forcing organizers to pull the curtains on Chronixx, Luciano and Protégé.

Patrons at that time hurriedly exited the venue during the drizzle.

…………………..

Saturday night was also a success, despite the mud and lengthy band changes.

As for the day time activities planned, that got a slight battering from the early morning rains nonetheless; the proceedings went ahead.

Again the veterans brought their “A” game showing patrons why they’re timeless. I Cho Candy, Ernie Smith and Pluto Shervington, The Abyssinians featuring Bernard Collins, Tony Tuff and Mighty Diamonds represented.

Patrons roared when Terror Fabulous hit the stage with Jah Works. Terror Fabulous who has had health issues paused for a long minute during his set. He was subsequently joined by Nadine Sutherland for hits like Action and Anything for You.

Richie Spice did well. So too did Queen Ifrika who introduced ten year old Wayne Jay who delivered some strong lyrics about education and blasted underage drinking.

Other good performances came from Busy Signal who worked until he was wet, I-Octane, Iba Mahr, Chronixx and Raging Fire.

However, it was singer I-Wayne who delivered an outstanding performance. I-Wayne burned the fire, kept the high energy and had patrons engaged from start to finish.

Sizzla also blazed the fire. Konlogi was joined on stage by members from the congregation of the Nyahbinghi Theocracy Rein Order who waved flags during his set. Ras Shiloh and Teflon who appeared in Sizzla’s set also got forwards.

Rebel Salute 2013 ended after Sizzla’s performance minutes after 8 Sunday morning.

So, all-in-all Rebel Salute 2013 was a tremendous success despite
January 21, 2013 10:16PM
I made it friday - didn't get to run into any SNWMF folks unfortunently (though I did see Sis Irie's face on the big screen a few times).

Here's the short review of friday night:
Highlights: Beres (proved once again he is the greatest living artist in Jamaican music), Tarrus, Louie Culture, MArcia Griffiths, Etana, Errol Dunkley, General Trees

Just ok: Aswad (sounded good but got no love from the crowd), Little John

Awful: Rootz Underground (band was on point but the singer wasn't at all. I've seen them do A LOT better), NoMaddz (there set was just bizzare and too long), Shinehead (total flop)
January 22, 2013 07:38PM
I attended both nights. It was my first time attending and I found the festival to be really top quality, save for the long set changes and the shows running so late/early into the morning. But the stage, sound, set-up, vendors, facilities, crowd etc were really terrific.

As for the shows, I agree on the Friday night performances. We enjoyed Prof Nuts as well and of course, Mr. Rebel himself.

Saturday was considerably more crowded, but great vibes still. Top performances for me were Richie Spice, Busy Signal, Chronixx, amd Chezi. Not the biggest fan of I-Wayne, but he put on the best show that i'd seen from him and was really well received by the crowd. As well, Terror Fab and Nadine were a real treat, altho not Terror was not quite in top shape, but Nadine is amazing. Prez Brown deserves praise for a real solid outing as does Courtney Melody. We left around 6:30am during I-Octane's set, and did not catch Luci or Sizzla (who I read had a powerful set).

Really amazing festival. I strongly reccomend it for any reggae fan. I plan on attending yearly from here on out.
AJ
January 23, 2013 05:33PM
winsome
really top quality, save for the long set changes and the shows running so late/early into the morning.
I went in 2011 - great festival. The time inbetween band changes was short, maybe because it was only a one night festival in 2011. It was great seeing some of my favorite artists one after another ~ seeing some for the first time. Carl Dawkins, Dennis Alcapone, Lone Ranger, Ken Boothe, Roland Burrell plus others one after another in a 2~3 hour period ~ smiling smiley For me there is nothing like a sunrise in JA after a night of reggae music & the music is still going on ~ love it.
Curious, did anyone see Tony Tuff? If so how was his set?
Would love to make it back to JA for Rebel Salute in the next few years. Hope it keeps going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 05:35PM by AJ.
January 24, 2013 02:59AM
What's up with Shinehead?
January 24, 2013 04:58AM
Jan 18 is my B day and if this goes down at the same time next year, I am thinking to be there. I love the all night vibe with all the super legit artists. Funny looking back and on Dec 13th no artists were announced, but they ended pulling the line up they did. It sounds like Chronixx got to play, how about Protoje? And I also heard mi sistah Nikki Burt killed it.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
January 24, 2013 05:22AM
Chimino

Got a whole paragraph dedicated to him on the IRIE FM write up. They made it sound like he was trippin'.
January 24, 2013 11:29AM
J_72
Chimino

Got a whole paragraph dedicated to him on the IRIE FM write up. They made it sound like he was trippin'.

His set was incredibly lame and got 0 love from the crowd. Hopefully was just an off night for him - but on the strength of that performance I wouldn't pay to go see him live anywhere else
January 26, 2013 02:58AM
Did anyone notice the drummer from the Gumption Band was wearing a Blessed Coast T Shirt.
January 26, 2013 04:36AM
I know the saying, "there's no such thing as bad publicity", but I'm not sure it always applies to the tiny niche that is 'reggae other than Marley'.

How do stepping extremely "high" in the audience, stumbling over an extension cord (briefly unplugging the turntables) and falling asleep in a chair in the audience translate to "out of this world" or "trippin"??????

Usually I don't give these kinds of threads any energy, but the inane, unedited, tabloid 'review' of the event and some goofy things I've seen posted in few places can't be the only side of the story.

For instance - The Gleaner says,

"After years of absence from Jamaica, Shine Head made a brilliant return at Rebel Salute."

"With his Strive and Gimme No Crack songs, Shine Head showed that great music can serve decades and still resonate with music fans."

I encourage people to form there own opinions and as Briggy says, "don't slang dang diddly diddly follow no rumor everyday." Here's some footage; Shinehead @1:25. Seems fine to me.......

PS. Did everybody miss this? IMO the best part of the 'review' -

"At around minutes emcee after 6 Steppa blazed a serious fire during a lengthy band change. Steppa burned corruption, homosexuality and tight pants and just about everything along those lines. But with all that burning the rain came tumbling down...."

Jah (not so) mysterious works?
January 27, 2013 08:14PM
The biggest story is yet to be told. There is a revival of interest by old and new artists to bring back and PRESERVE reggae music, hence the name of the show. If you study the line-up carefully, you will see a strong statement about what has been right with reggae through the years including the new movement coming forward from artists who went to Edna Manley College. I will be writing more about that in my review for United Reggae. Protoje, Kabaka Pyramid, Jah 9, Raging Fyah, Hempress Sativa, Chronixx and others are working in sync to make this change back to real singing, excellent instrumentation and provocative lyrics.

I also will have a live interview on the radio with Busy Signal in just a few weeks. They asked me to do it while I am here but I am running out of time. He, too, is friends and supports the efforts of the young artists and hangs with Protoje and the crew.

Had an interesting night visiting Cleevie's studio at his home in the upper hills of Kingston. All I can say right now is WOW! Got a few photos.

Will be returning to US in a few days and plenty more to add.

Here are just a few photos - just barely started getting these downloaded. Please note I am posting Hempress Sativa without watermark. I ask if you want to use this photo to please ask me to send one with watermark. Give thanks. @2013 Sista Irie Photography

Busy Signal

Abyssinians

Hempress Sativa

Stephen Newland/Rootz Underground

Iba Mahr
January 27, 2013 09:53PM
Ive been to Rebel Salute a few times and napped in a chair each time...just sayin
January 27, 2013 10:27PM
Great photos Sis!!
January 27, 2013 11:35PM
I second Scotti's sentiments and look forward to the complete recap.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login