Good Headphones
December 26, 2012 11:50AM
Does anyone have some recomendations on a good pair of on the ear or over the ear headphones in the $100-$150 range? For Christmas I got a pair of Bose OE headphones, They are nice but I am wondering if I can find something that might be better suited for reggae music. Does anyone have a pair of the new House of Marley headphones? These Bose just concern me because I have the volume turned up all the way to pick up the bass and all the sounds i want to hear. Not sure it is good to have them maxed out all the time.
Re: Good Headphones
December 26, 2012 03:52PM
Try this forum link:

Gear Slutz Forum
December 27, 2012 08:13AM
Thank you Mr. Black! I will check it out! Appreciate the link.
December 27, 2012 09:31AM
I have to say I am impressed with the House of Marley Dreadphones. they sound pretty good and they actually feel better than my other expensive pair.
December 27, 2012 09:57AM
Nice DJ BIG JIM! I have read good reviews online. Which model did you get? The ones I was looking at that are in my price rage are Revolution, Rebel and Positive Vibration. I have considered returning these Bose and even paying $50 more to get the Exodus for $150. I just want to try them and nobody has them in Bend, OR. I would have to order them. The Bose are nice and after using them more last night I do like them. Im leaning towards just keeping the Bose, The sound is very crisp and clear but I feel like I have to turn them up loud to have them thump the way I like. I have read the House of Marleys have some wicked bass.
December 27, 2012 12:28PM
This posting was just in time for me. I have been looking at studio headphones and had no idea what to get. Thanks for posting and thanks for the great responses.
December 27, 2012 12:48PM
The Bose that my parents got me are nice, but what I am reading online is that for the price Audio Technicha M30 or M50's are the best. Also read good things about Sennheiser hd 25 or 600. Most people think that the Bose OE I have are nice but get into some really technical details i dont understand. Those that I listed seem to have the best online reviews on every site i have checked.
December 27, 2012 12:54PM
Studio headphones are a little different. In a studio, you want headphones that dont color the sound.

I love my pioneer hdj2000's. They have excellent audio reproduction and are very sturdy and comfy. But they run about $300.

For the $100-$150 range, I would be looking at Sony. [www.guitarcenter.com]

For a little more, AKG makes great headphones. [www.guitarcenter.com]
December 27, 2012 01:39PM
Yeah, I am confused after researching and reading a lot. I want the best headphones for just plugging into my Ipod and jamming to Midnite. I think that the Bose that were bought for me would be just fine. What do you mean that studio headphones dont color the sound? Thanks Bun N Cheese.
December 27, 2012 02:38PM
Yeah, those are consumer headphones. Often times they are EQ'd for additional bass, ie Dre "Beats"

Studio headphones are supposed have a flat frequency response so you have to adjust the source to set the mix. This gives the studio the ability to make the audio sound the way they want, rather than sound how the headphones sound. It is common for a sound engineer to have several different monitors of various quality to listen so they can test how it sounds in mono on a shitty car speaker or on nice powerful speakers at high SPL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2012 02:39PM by bun n cheese.
December 27, 2012 02:40PM
the best headphones for listening to midnite:

here's to hoping you can take a joke... smoking smiley

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
December 27, 2012 02:43PM
I LOL when I read that Mosquito Killer! I understand not everyone love Midnite like I do. But I love a good sense of humor also. I mean really I set myself up for it. I am actually still chuckling as I type this. smiling smiley
December 27, 2012 02:50PM
I gave up trying to find a pair of headphones that were flat. Course i didn't want to pay more than 150, i got a set of those dr dre beats, as you say they have bumped up the bass, not flat. What i have learned is how a flat recording sounds on the equipment that i do have, and i try and duplicate that when i play with audio for my vids. But i have to listen on my living room stereo, and then go play it in the car to really know. When it sounds slightly bass heavy on my computer stereo its about right, sounds pretty flat in the car.

Maybe i will check out the Pioneers bun and cheese, i'm still looking.

Love that reggae!
December 27, 2012 02:58PM
Well, the best way to listen to music is not through headphones. The audio goes from speaker straight into your ear. Psycoacoustics are nonexistant, and thats a big part of music interpretation.
December 27, 2012 03:06PM
rossta8888, since you can take a joke, i'm going to bump to the top a thread that made me laugh harder than anything else i have ever seen or read on this forum.

damn, still makes laugh HARD.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
December 27, 2012 07:08PM
bun and cheese, the only reason i even try the headphones is to keep the peace while my wife is trying to sleep, my computer is in the bedroom....

Love that reggae!
December 27, 2012 08:06PM
I like the Sony MDR-7506. They're under $100 and sound good. Used them for years for all around listening. Over the ear style. They fold up too. They have them at sweetwater for no tax or shipping.
sweetwater sony headphone link
December 29, 2012 08:55AM
I read a bunch online about headphones, heard good things about the sony mdr 7506....also available on ebay for 80 bucks.

[www.head-fi.org]

[www.headphone.com]

Another good reference for audio and video:

[taperssection.com]

Love that reggae!
December 29, 2012 11:05AM
Yeah I also understand that headphones aren't the best way to listen to music but sometimes they come in handy. When my gf is trying to study or when my business partner is listening to Korn or Metallica. No sense in trying to blare my speakers over his. The Bose OE have been working great! Maybe not the best out there for that 100$ range but I have been enjoying them.
December 29, 2012 11:11AM
Mosquito Killer you talking about the VI tree thread?? Cause I remember seeing that when I first joined the board and thought it was great. Did not know Daniel then so now that I've had the priveledge of meeting him and understanding a bit of his love for Midnite and the VI music scene it is even funnier now! But I must say that IMO music from the VI is also my favorite and all I listen too nowadays. MIDNITE!!
December 29, 2012 01:31PM
Lately I've been using a set of Sennheiser HD280 Pros to good effect. About $100.
December 30, 2012 09:58AM
Ultrasone are the best I have ever used and I have used a lot including some that cost more than Ultrasones. Everything they make seems nice and has sounded great in my experience. They make several types of over ear cans that can be bought new in the 150 range. There are many good options, I am skeptical re: quality of headphones marketed using names of music celebrities (Dr Dre, Marley etc)
December 31, 2012 09:05AM
I got the "positive vibration" model, they had a display at Staple, of course it caught my eye. I see from their catalog online that they have more expensive models but these work fine for me, they feel good on my ears, not too heavy and sound good to me. I'd say if you have a Staples store near you see if they have a display and let your ears be the judge
December 31, 2012 09:42AM
yes, tyler, the v.i. tree thread.

it morphs into something else altogether, but that first initial post is the funniest thing i have seen or read on this forum, period! big ups to nick for that one. and daniel was great about it.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
January 02, 2013 07:49AM
Yes Mosquito Killer! Daniel seems to have a good sense of humor and from what I read also seemed to think it was very funny. Good stuff, I really enjoy this phorum and hope to meet and greet this summer during SNWMF!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login