Austin Massive
January 03, 2013 08:21AM
Planning a trip to Austin in March, looking for reggae runnings and general points of interest. Haven't been in a dozen years.

I know Sista Irie deya, DubOrganic is in the area too. Bless
Re: Austin Massive
January 03, 2013 08:26AM
Whats up with that Austin Reggae fest? The website hasn't been updated since May 2012.
January 03, 2013 11:18AM
bun n cheese
Whats up with that Austin Reggae fest? The website hasn't been updated since May 2012.

i would even pay you to make a side trek to houston and play my bday bash.

the selectors here SUCK! regardless if they are Jamaican, VI, trini, whatever..

its as if they all have 3 premade mix cds.. complete with rewinds to make it seem like the mixes are live..

but i was born with nuff intellect and remeberance to detect these pre-made mix selectors..

and they all play "beenie - rum and red bull" at each and every dance!! followed by some FREAKN SOCA!! its the same with each and every one of these clowns..

i guess it works, as some of these places are packed.. but i am used to heading up a TOK, or Revelation, or pick a west coast sound dance.. and nuff vibes in the place.. just tune and vibe..

in all, Houston selectors suck man backside!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 11:23AM by bigvein.
January 03, 2013 11:22AM
I'll be in Houston, this is a side trip to visit old friends and catch a vibe.

We are shooting for the last week in March. Spring Break thing.

I'd play your party nah lie if the time is right! I'll be in your hood too. The family moved back to Richmond.
January 03, 2013 11:50AM
bun... well that would be outside my bday bash.. but tell you what.. if you do make it out, i will plan a event... rent a hall, push flyers, the whole bit.. i want to do reggae events, but just cant find a selector worth the time..

whoever from the west or east comes to houston, and knows how to juggle, then that person would clean up.. truth.
January 03, 2013 03:56PM
Hey Mr Bun greetings from the ATX.. Check out my friends' festival March 7- 9 Wildfire Reggae and Arts Festit is an annual event and always a good time. Not all of the music will probably be to your liking but they have a solid amount of roots and a little dub this year. Don Carlos is headlining Sat. and looks like I will be mixing a live dub set for afterparty following his performance. There are some good local and Caribbean DJs in the mix all three days and they will have onsite camping for first time this year. That is only good local reggae thing I know of going on around that time. If you want to link up in Austin send me a PM. Have fun, it is a nice time of year to be here.
January 03, 2013 04:19PM
Austin is Awesome, so we look forward to your visit. The Austin Reggae Fest is no longer being booked my the owner of Flamingo Cantina so not sure who is doing the booking or what they now about reggae. Pat Costigan and Hugh Forrest produce the festival. You can probably contact them via some googling. I might be able to find contact info for them. I heard it is still happening but have no details except that it is usually in April.

March is also when SXSW happens and there are usually some excellent bands and music. I know one of the dub poetry artists I met in the Seychelle Islands has been accepted and I believe there is also a chance Protoje will be back. That is not yet confirmed. I can give you more reggae info on SXSW next month.

No matter what, Austin has great music and of course every tip you get from Dub Organic is a good one. Keep this thread popping up and we can continue to give you updates. Be sure to link with me while you are here!

more love
January 03, 2013 04:33PM
Yes during SXSW there will be a ton of music events happening, usually not too much reggae in the official showcases but some really good international talent has come through every year. Last year Protoje, Little Roy and Zvuloon Dubsystem came to Austin, which probably would never happen outside of SXSW.

Austin Reggae Fest is scheduled for April 20-22 this year. They don't do much early updating of the website, usually start updating site each year a couple months beforehand. We are planning to do Charlie's Dub Corner, running roots, dub and conscious dancehall etc for 3 days straight again this year. I have not heard any word of headliners etc so far..
January 03, 2013 06:27PM
bigvein, let me shore up the dates and i'll get back with you.

DubOrganic, check yuh PM

Sista Irie, blessed love sistren! I'll check the dates and make the links. Thanks for the info.

I remember meeting you and Ricky back in the 90's, at that epic Luciano show at the Flamingo.

It would be nice to meet up for a drink or whatever. DubOrganic too.
January 04, 2013 07:07AM
Bun and Cheese- that must have been the night Luciano climbed on the open air roof and his silhouette contrasted as he stood under the moon. I didn't have my camera that moment- he moved so fast. Such memories!
January 04, 2013 11:59AM
Wildfire Reggae & Arts Festival
Thursday, Mar 7 10:00a
The Music Ranch, Austin
We cordially invite you to participate as a vendor at the 4th Annual Wildfire Reggae & Arts Festival on March 8 & 9, 2013, from 10:00am to 2:00am each day.
[www.facebook.com]
[wildfirereggaefest.com]

Redgorilla Music Fest
Tuesday, Mar 12 10:00a
City of Austin, Austin
RedGorilla Music Fest is one of the music industry's premier destinations for the year, and thousands of fans and music industry professionals descend upon Austin to network and check out new talent.
March 25, 2013 06:45PM
Ran across this cleaning house...

March 25, 2013 07:24PM
Wow, that's cool. Austin Reggae Fest is happening but with new bookers. Wailers are headlining. April 19-21st
[austinreggaefest.com]

World Music Festival with Angelique Kidjo, Collie Buddz, Dubtonic Kru and more April 6 and 7
[www.wobeonFEST.com]
March 26, 2013 11:30AM
The people booking main stage at Austin Reggae Fest have changed this year. The people running/ booking Charlie's Dub Corner (the soundsystem party aka "2nd stage" with no stage) are the same as last 5 years and this looks to be our best year yet.. 3 days of roots, dub, dancehall and more on a nice soundsystem, outdoors near the river in downtown Austin, Texas ..we have some very special guests planning to come by and hold the microphone that most SNWMF fans will be familiar withcool smiley.. can't say who just yet..

The Return of CHARLIE'S DUB CORNER at Austin Reggae Fest 2013.. happening April 19-21 2013 at Auditorium Shores Park (Austin, Texas.)
more info can be found at the official Austin Reggae Fest website: Austin Reggae Fest 2013

Charlie's Dub Corner 2013 Lineup:

FRIDAY 4/19
3-5 Dubwise Happy Hour w/ Papa C & DJ Antiquity
5-6 DJ Rootsmonger
6-7 Lab Rat
7-8 DJ Antiquity
8-9 Selector J
9-10 Bomb City Sound

SAT 4/20
12-1 Ital Breakfast w/ Papa C, DJ Antiquity & Bomb City
1-2 Zion Sound Young Gunz
2-3 Shun the Selector
3-4 DJ Ivor (Survivor Sounds)
4-5 DJ Meshak (Soul Iration)
5-6 DJ One Note (Dub Valle)
6-7 Ras Gilbert (Shashamani Sound)
7-8 DJ Franco Nero
8-10 McPullish & Charlie's All Stars: DUBSTRAVAGANJA w/ Paul Baker, Judge, Island Rose, Jahn TI, plus *special* guests

SUN 4/21
12-1 Ska, Rocksteady and Soul Brunch w/ Proper Villain
1-2 Dr Dubbist
2-3 DJ El Dopa
3-4 Apollo 67 Sound
4-5 DJ Chicken George
5-7 Heart and Soul Sound
7-9 I/O & Sloppy Jackson (Weight)
9-10 Dub Corner Juggling / Funclash '13

*Some proceeds from this event are donated to Capital Area Food Bank, who serve the Austin community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 02:01PM by DubOrganic.
March 27, 2013 07:25AM
For all things dub & roots in Austin check DubOrganic / McPullish / Charlies
April 24, 2013 03:40PM
Lance on the drums
[www.pedestrian.tv]
April 29, 2013 04:08PM
Some good vibes coming up at Austin's Flamingo Cantina.

This Saturday. May 4th, Keith Porter and the Itals. 10$ at the door.

On Thursday, May 23rd, Richie Spice.

AND on Saturday, June 1st, ADMIRAL TIBET -here is an artist that I've been wanting to see for years so I'm hoping this can happen.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
April 29, 2013 06:16PM
Papaken, I am glad to see so much reggae coming up after the last couple of festivals. I hear Angela, who owns FLamingo Cantina is coming out to SNWMF too!
April 29, 2013 10:35PM
August 17th, Midnite @ Flamingo Cantina.
April 30, 2013 06:15AM
thumbs upI hear Angela, who owns FLamingo Cantina is coming out to SNWMF too!
April 30, 2013 09:51AM
Awesome news about Admiral Tibet in nthe ATX! - I heard it here first smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login