Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Songs of Redemption- the movie

Posted by Sista Irie 
Songs of Redemption- the movie
January 05, 2013 11:39AM
Greetings all,

I am now able to announce a new reggae/prison documentary to be released in the next few months that I think will blow your mind.

It was filmed in the General Penitentiary in Kingston, Jamaica ,where the inmates have no toilets, beds or other basic necessities. What they do have is a very visionary Superintendent, an incredible social activist from the Italian consulate and some donated skill building resources that include an internal radio station and music recording studio where the wardens and the inmates create music together. This outlet has changed the prison atmosphere from being a very violent place to the restoration of self worth and respect resulting in a dramatic desire to give back constructively to society. The young inmates who tell their story were raised under the worst of circumstances.

Songs of Redemption is a stream of consciousness as told by young inmates who have been accused of various levels of crime. They tell their stories but what is most impressive is the raw emotion that comes forward as well as an obvious renewed sense of being human that puts these youngsters on a path to prevent other youth from ending up in the same situation.

I have seen the movie several times and will attend the screening with the Prime Minister, members of the European Union, high level Jamaican officials and some key folks from the reggae community in February. The public launch will occur soon after and possibly a showing at some key film festivals. I am attending as an invited member of the press and marketing team.

Although there will be a songtrack cd along with the DVD, the movie is much bigger than the redemptive qualities of reggae music, it crosses over into the whole impact of justice systems and how societies can work to stop the cycle of violence.

I will keep everyone updated as time goes on. I was so blown away with the movie, I asked to help with the marketing. Please check the link also on Facebook.

Executive Producer, Nando Garcia Guerreta, also produced "Why Jamaicans Run So Fast" and owns Nice Time Productions. See other crew member names on the FB page. There is an official website that will soon have a trailer.

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Songs of Redemption- the movie
January 05, 2013 11:55AM
Wow !

this is gigantic & worthy of all heartical support
January 05, 2013 04:45PM
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 05, 2013 05:30PM
That sounds awesome I can't wait.. Thank u sista irie
January 05, 2013 07:07PM
thanks Sis!

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
January 05, 2013 08:17PM
I am so happy to see the responses so far. The movie will not disappoint you.

Until "Songs of Redemotion" is officially released, you may read more background regarding the General Penitentiary in this article I found online this evening.

[spreadtoothin.wordpress.com]
January 05, 2013 09:22PM
Looking for a trailer on YouTube but haven't found one yet. Please keep us informed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 10:23PM by J_72.
January 06, 2013 09:59AM
I have been waiting for something like this for a long time ... So glad to see this manifest.
January 06, 2013 10:09AM
YES bredren- Trailer is being worked on shortly. I am posting a little early before some things are ready to roll, but I plan to keep posting and let you know when things are ready as they are implemented. Hope you don't mind getting a sneak preview of what's to come even if it is JUST a written description with a link to FB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login