Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

all-nyahbinghi radio program -- stream runs until Jan. 19 -- KDHX.org St. Louis, MO

Posted by m i c h a e l 
all-nyahbinghi radio program -- stream runs until Jan. 19 -- KDHX.org St. Louis, MO
January 06, 2013 05:57PM
Inviting you to check out the January 5, 2013 broadcast of "Positive Vibrations" (KDHX 88.1 FM St. Louis, MO). My first radio show of the year is annually an all-nyahbinghi program, a very grounding way to begin a new year. As you'll see from the playlist below, it's a blend of traditional binghi and roots reggae & dub heavy with nyahbinghi drums with tunes from 1961-2012.

Catch the stream of the program until January 19 @ KDHX.org/positivevibrations. "Positive Vibrations" is co-hosted by Professor Skank & Michael Kuelker, who alternate broadcasts, and it airs every Saturday night from 9-11 p.m. CST.

JANUARY 5, 2013 -- POSITIVE VIBRATIONS

Michael Rose - "Pray" - Head To Head (Culture Town)
Wingless Angels - “We Shall Overcome” - Wingless Angels (Mindless 1997) — in which the traditional hymn "We Shall Overcome" is lyrically transformed to the Rasta-oriented "I-n-I wear JAH crown"
Prince Student “Rivers of Babylon” (Pressure Beat 7"winking smiley
Jimmy Cliff “Bongo Man a Come” (Beverly's 7" 1971)

Dubcreator - “Narrow Dub” - Dubcreator Presents EP (Asaiah)
I Roy - “Musical Drum Sound” (Harry J 7" 1973) —"Repatriation is a must"
Culture & Count Ossie - “Weeping Eyes” from Trod On (Heartbeat)

Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus - “Run Come (Throw Away Your Stoney Heart)” - Nyabinghi (Trojan 1974) —"no wicked can enter Zion ... hola Mt Zion"
Bongo Herman, Les & Bingy Bunny - “Salaam (Peace)” (Move and Groove 7" 1971)
Bongo Herman - “Carpound Drifter” (Harry J's 7" 1972)

Frankie Paul “Put Down The Gun” - Drum Song Riddim (Black Arrow) — Drum Song riddim recently revived
King Tubby - “Drum Dub” - Drum Song Riddim (Black Arrow)
Little Roys - “Bongo Nyah” (Pama/Camel 7" 1969) — that's Little Roy on lead vocals
Count Ossie - “I Dread Version” from Trojan Nyahbinghi Box Set (Trojan) — versions "Bongo Nyah"
Bunny & Skitta w/ Count Ossie - “Cool Breeze” (Coxsone 7" 1961)

Prince Elijah Williams w/ Prince Tebah & the Sons of Thunder - “Order of the Nyahbinghi” - Communication Drums (CaribSound 2003) — "Orders of truth & rights, equal rights & justice"
Ras Ivi & the Family of Rastafari - “Everytime I Chant Nyahbinghi” - Ark of the Covenant (Surr Zema Muzik 1994)
Wingless Angels - “No Dark There” - Wingless Angels Vol. I & II (Mindless 2010) —"inna Mt Zion there is no dark there"
Bongo Herman - “Vice President” (Harry J's 7" 1972)

Stephen Marley, 9ft Wale & The cast of FELA - “AFRICA” - Revelation Part 1: The Root of Life (Universal)
Twilight Circus Dub Sound System - “Session Plate” - Dub Plates Vol. 3 (M Records)
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus - “Pretty Little Face” - Nyabinghi (Trojan)

Leslie Butler & Count Ossie - “Soul Drums” (Gay Feet 7" 1968) — groovy, soulful
Count Ossie & His Band - “Back To Africa pt. 2” - Trojan Nyahbinghi Box Set (Trojan)
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus - “Fly Away” - Lion Country (Roots and Culture 1999) — churchical roots

Capleton - “Search Fi A Find” - Still Blazin (VP) —I played the first minute -- heavy heavy binghi
Capleton - “Man-Bruk (Nyabinghi Mix)” - Conscious Ragga 3 (Greensleeves)
Prince Jammy - “Jammys a Shine” - Fatman vs. Shaka in a Dub Conference (Live and Love 1980)
Typhoon All Stars - “Rack-a-Tack” - Trojan Nyahbinghi Box Set (Trojan)
Jah Lloyd feat. Bongo Herman - “Africa Drums” - Final Judgment (Teem)
Re: all-nyahbinghi radio program -- stream runs until Jan. 19 -- KDHX.org St. Louis, MO
January 06, 2013 06:10PM
Totally awesome playlist. So sorry I could not make the show. I know I would have loved it.
Re: all-nyahbinghi radio program -- stream runs until Jan. 19 -- KDHX.org St. Louis, MO
January 11, 2013 07:36PM
I saved this to listen to at work today -
nice tunes but extremely chatty chatty....
January 15, 2013 03:41AM
"Nice"? No, man. That music is dread, but you have to have ears to hear (too bad for you). And yes, we on "Positive Vibrations" do a local reggae scene report lasting all of three minutes at a quarter after each hour. Without apologies. Info you can get from no other single source. That community radio, baby.
January 15, 2013 04:28PM
huh. nice is a compliment, maybe not the exact "irie" word you might use but a compliment nonetheless. Why feel the need to insult me "but you have to have ears to hear (too bad for you). "?? I listened to the whole show and enjoyed it.
Chatty Chatty - facts are facts regardless of the lame excuse you may throw out. And there is a break after every other song, either a station announcement or you prattling on. Just play the music, like the show that follows (the Greatful Dead stuff) where whole sets were played without blah blah blah.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 04:49PM by mulligan.
January 16, 2013 04:29PM
Okay, I understand better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 04:48PM by m i c h a e l.
January 16, 2013 04:50PM
wow, what a jerkish response....
and yes, given the opportunity, i could do a better job than the play 2 songs/blather format you use.

in my first post I was merely pointing out the show is chatty-chatty, which you confirmed. How is it trollish to comment on what you
yourself state...IDing songs and PSAs are, as you say, a part of public radio. Playing 2 songs at a time and then breaking in so you can hear your own voice should not be part of public radio.

I still like the tunes you played (except that Sizzla growler) and hearing a whole show livicated to Nyahbinghi is always a treat. Thank you for that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 04:54PM by mulligan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login