Looking for some high-res WARRIOR KING photos - anyone?
January 07, 2013 05:44AM
Re: Looking for some high-res WARRIOR KING photos - anyone?
January 07, 2013 01:35PM
Yes- but how will these be used?
January 07, 2013 03:14PM
DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive

His booking agent ???
January 07, 2013 05:55PM
PM me
January 08, 2013 02:42AM
Sista Irie
Yes- but how will these be used?
For a poster I'm creating for Monday Feb 11th. His booking agent sent me the same low-res pics I've used before and there aren't really that many good ones online. He's been through here so many times I figured some a y'all would have some good shots. My partner Guacamole has some but he's in Mexico so I'm reaching out.
January 08, 2013 02:54AM
Sorry im so rude. You'd think id be used to it by now...
January 08, 2013 03:22AM
papajoshua
Sorry im so rude. You'd think id be used to it by now...

Didn't take it as rude but you especially know the runnings. I know you don't assume that the reggae artist or reggae booking agent has high res images for promotional purposes right? That would be um..........

Yeah. I do what I need to do to find artist shots for posters. However, we do have Guacamole taking action shots when they come through and often send an artist away with shots they can use in the future.

Still looking. Anyone? I'll put you on the list with a friend.

Big up Joshua!
January 13, 2013 07:08PM
I am starting to charge for photos. I don't think anyone realizes what goes into taking them, uploading, photoshopping and making them available at a moment's notice. I think you will soon see more and more photographers doing the same. If it is a quick shot that I just happen to take, I am happy to share but now I am beginning to get so many requests especially from the artists themselves, and almost always wanting them same day or next, it is stressful and yet, I almost always do it. I do think small reimbursement is appropriate. Many never say thanks or that they even got the photos which is also very inconsiderate given the worktime. I don't want to sound overly negative. Just want people to understand what it takes. one love

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 09:57PM by Sista Irie.
January 14, 2013 05:08AM
Jacques I'm sue I've got some, I'll go though my files. nicety see you and hope you're healing quickly!
January 14, 2013 06:19AM

Digital...not Difficult

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 06:21AM by nahikuroots.
January 14, 2013 06:32PM
Not sure if you're still looking for some Hi Rez photos of W.K. If so, I'm pretty sure 613 Photography has a grip of them. I have their email at home, but i have their number in my phone here.
January 14, 2013 09:35PM
Sista Irie
I am starting to charge for photos. I don't think anyone realizes what goes into taking them,...
I do think small reimbursement is appropriate. Many never say thanks or that they even got the photos which is also very inconsiderate given the worktime. I don't want to sound overly negative. Just want people to understand what it takes. one love

Amen, Sister.
January 14, 2013 10:04PM
@Sista Irie

it's never too late to charge for photos.. I started very late.. it took me some years to understand that giving away photos for free is not only bad move for your own photos and effort... but it's hurting all other photographers and their work and income...

but it's too late.. there is no close to no respect towards photos and the photographer out there...

this happened most recently:

January 14, 2013 10:18PM
Once it's out there, it's out of your control.

I recently was at a fundraiser for a local wetlands group and was admiring some nice printed wildlife photo bookmarks and cards that they are selling. A woman at the table where they were set up noticed me looking at them and cheerfully said, "Aren't they beautiful. I just made them!"

I took and moment to pause before I responded, "Yes. I like them, a lot. I took the photos on them."

It's all good, though. It's a non-profit and I did include those photos in reports, years ago....
January 15, 2013 12:13AM
There is an inherent problem with making art a commodity for a capitalist market. A capitalist market cares more about the cost of production and distribution for a commodity, not the actual commodity. Things like talent, skill, experience and durability are not considered in that equation. Those things are lumped in with promotion and marketing (advertising) as the reasons you want the commodity but are not as quantifiable as the costs of production and distribution. Even so, In the past if Artists didn't play along then they got frozen out of all three. The digital age has brought those cost down severely and overcome that possibility somewhat but hasn't changed perceived values...a tough transition for many.
There was a time before the efficiency of corporate capitalism was involved when all it took to promote a show was a name on the Marquee, a Newspaper ad and a Radio spot. You bought tickets at the box office with no service or convenience fees. If it sold out, you got your tickets earlier next time. If it sold out quickly the Managers/Promoters booked another show.
We are in the end stages of a game of Monopoly and anyone who has played that out knows how much fun that is...for the winners.
January 15, 2013 01:55AM
Jahsprey
Once it's out there, it's out of your control.

I recently was at a fundraiser for a local wetlands group and was admiring some nice printed wildlife photo bookmarks and cards that they are selling. A woman at the table where they were set up noticed me looking at them and cheerfully said, "Aren't they beautiful. I just made them!"

I took and moment to pause before I responded, "Yes. I like them, a lot. I took the photos on them."

It's all good, though. It's a non-profit and I did include those photos in reports, years ago....

I can't count the number of times this has happened to me. Sometimes it seems that everyone thinks they are the person who should be the exception to the common decency rule of asking before using. It has made me very cautious about my hi res files going out into the world.
I have expenses to pay. Non profits are among the most regular pirates.
January 15, 2013 02:30AM
Julian
@Sista Irie

it took me some years to understand that giving away photos for free is not only bad move for your own photos and effort... but it's hurting all other photographers and their work and income...

but it's too late.. there is no close to no respect towards photos and the photographer out there...

I couldn't say it any better, Julian. You have represented photographers well with this observation.
After making reggae photos for over 25 years I feel qualified to offer my thoughts on this subject.
I get the most respect from my peers. I have earned it, like they have earned mine. We help each other when we can. It is a dance in the photo pit. I truly enjoy the times we share when working at festivals.

I don't want to paint with too broad a brush and be too general, so I hope this next thought doesn't offend too many people. I encourage new photographers to keep making images. That is how we learn the art part. The business part we learn from others in the industry.

I get the least respect from wannabees, and newbies. They are learning about the dance, and the dancers. It is a time consuming process. Eager novices sometimes put work that has a value into the hands of people who don't pay. It then becomes difficult for anyone to get that person to put out money for photos for future projects. It lowers the bar across the board, making it harder and harder to afford to keep making high quality photos.
The lack of respect for "old school" business protocol, and the resulting loss of value of the images made, is causing a steady devaluing of photos produced today, and it will be worse in the future. It also is dragging down the value of a lifetime of archived photos. People pirate everything. It is now so easy to make a picture of a picture. It was once much more difficult to produce photographs, and required dedication. My peers know what I am speaking about.
Seeing a request for hi res photos for any money making venture, without the mention of compensation, raises my eyebrows.
I would like people to realize photographers are artists who need to pay bills, like to eat, and should be paid for use of their work when used in commercial ways.
We make photographs because that is who we are, and we are happiest when we are making them.

I love to do it, but I know the value of the images I produce. I also like to share them non commercially. After all, are we not reggae music fans?
Sharing family photos is good.
January 15, 2013 04:01AM
A few questions/comments:
First off, a big shout to all the photographers out there. My partner DJ Guacamole is a dope photographer who takes live shots at most of our shows and I see his photos used in many artists promo materials, other promoters posters/flyers, and used on FB for all kinds of other personal and promotional reasons. Generally he does not get credited for these usages. Sometimes I see this happen and I'll comment that the shot was taken by.....etc, etc

Usually I would just get a photo from him since we've had Warrior King at our spot before but he's in Mexico for two months so I don't have access to his photos for flyers. Thats why I posted this question and then did an image search for Warrior King on google. The multi-frame image I found and used didn't have the 2008 calendar part on it. If it did I probably still would have used it since it's from a retired image that was used for something 5 years ago. If anyone feels disrecpected by my usage I apologize. I made the flyer for a friend who is promoting the show and I didn't get paid to do it.

His management sent me images from the same show as the image I used but they were low-resolution. Apparently all they did was the same google image search that I did. This is common in reggae so its almost always a challenge to find good shots to help promote at artist coming to town.

Photographers:
If I find a high-res image online in a google search that I would like to use, how would you suggest I proceed? What if I have no idea where the image originally came from?

When you take a shot of an artist and sell it as a print or in a calendar do you get permission from the artist? Do they get a percentage or a flat fee?

For those that don't pay the artist for the use of the image, if the image is used to help promote the artists live show don't you think it a fair usage?

If I find an image that I would like to use and am willing to pay something for the use of the shot, what is a reasonable fee? How is that usually done?

Again, all due respect to the photogs out there. I'm real curious to hear your responses because I've spoken at length about this to friends who are photographers, promoters and/or artists. Each has a very different perspective on fair use.

Whatcha think?

Julian
@Sista Irie

it's never too late to charge for photos.. I started very late.. it took me some years to understand that giving away photos for free is not only bad move for your own photos and effort... but it's hurting all other photographers and their work and income...

this happened most recently:

January 15, 2013 03:23PM
January 15, 2013 03:40PM
this one is also from my pix at SummerJam.

I guess the management sends them to the promoters.

January 15, 2013 03:50PM
<Photographers:
<if I find a high-res image online in a google search that I would like to use, how would you suggest I proceed? What if I have no idea where the image originally came from?
then you need to research and try to find out the photographer. if that is not possible, you shouldn't use the photo.

<When you take a shot of an artist and sell it as a print or in a calendar do you get permission from the artist? Do they get a percentage or a flat fee?
yes.. anykind of commercial use.. like prints, calendars, t-shirts need the permission from the artists

<For those that don't pay the artist for the use of the image, if the image is used to help promote the artists live show don't you think it a fair usage?
two wrongs doesn't make one wright... everyone needs to communicate and ask for the usage.. the photographer, if they use it for commercial use and the artists, managements, too.

<If I find an image that I would like to use and am willing to pay something for the use of the shot, what is a reasonable fee? How is that usually done?
that depends on many things.. I use to find out the rate from an official list for requested usage.. reduce it 90% and ask for that.. 9 of 10 people who requested photos.. never replied winking smiley

There is only one basic thing, which needs to be known by everyone.. every single photo out there has been taken by someone with a camera and inherits a copyright.. so any use without getting in touch first is wrong...

even if I posted the grafix here and take part in the discussion.. I stopped fighting for my rights as photographer some years ago.. I was tired of it...

Julian
January 15, 2013 04:23PM
Julien what if I find a picture of an artist on Face Book that a photographer took and I use it on my page as my profile pic, Is that okay or should i take my picture down. I do give the photographer credit that they took it.

Thank you,
Tyler
January 15, 2013 04:39PM
Tyler. That one is easy. When you find the photo on FB you ask the photographer if you can use it in the non commercial way. The artist will appreciate the use of proper protocol and the show of respect. I doubt you would get a negative response from a photog for a use like this.

One of the problems with FB is that any photo gets renamed to code, removing any credit that a photog places in the name. It also removes all the tagged words so that a search engine doesn't find the shot. Images get shared and lost in the internet zone.

DJ Jaques, as to your statement about a photo you call a "retired image that was used for something 5 years ago"... the copyright still applies to older images. I have never heard of retiring an image, unless it was fine art and the print run was numbered.

As Julien, said, "you need to research and try to find out the photographer. if that is not possible, you shouldn't use the photo."
BOOM!
January 15, 2013 06:31PM
btw.. you can easily replace the word photo with song or album smiling smiley

it's very easy to sum the whole thinh up.. RESPECT! People need to show respect for other peoples work.. photographer, singer, musicians.
January 15, 2013 06:38PM
Julian
btw.. you can easily replace the word photo with song or album smiling smiley

it's very easy to sum the whole thinh up.. RESPECT! People need to show respect for other peoples work.. photographer, singer, musicians.

Well that battle was also lost long ago. For better or worse, dj mixes of reggae music is an industry standard and so I think you see that attitude leaking into other areas of the business. Knowing folks who make good livings in other genre's these kind of things would rarely happen and certianly catch the scorn quickly. Hence my snide remark...a international touring rock/folk band would not do a countrywide tour without high quality posters likely already premade, insert your venue. That is how they control their brand and keep it from being diluted by the local promoter. But then again that band probably wouldnt (and couldnt) change its representation every season.
January 15, 2013 09:44PM
Julian
this one is also from my pix at SummerJam.

I guess the management sends them to the promoters.

Yes they eventually did send this one to me too
January 15, 2013 11:18PM
which is ok in some way.. cause the photo was used as press photo for a european tour some years ago...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login