Former SNWMF Venue a Sorry Sight
January 14, 2013 06:29PM
No day in the park at Marysville's Riverfront

January 11, 2013 11:39:00 PM
ShareThis| Print Story | E-Mail StoryBy Nancy Pasternack/ADnpasternack
No ‘silver bullet’ to help Beckwourth:

The boat launch in Beckwourth Riverfront Park is not much of a local facility, let alone an attraction for visitors, says a former city councilman

"We have this facility we're not able to use in low water," said Simmons, also a former Yuba County supervisor.

In addition, invasive vegetation clogs motors, and the lagoon, "hasn't been dredged — there's no easy ingress or egress. You can't get through."

Because it is rarely used and rarely patrolled, security issues abound.

"It really could be a tourist draw, but people drive in and it looks like hell and they can't leave their rig there because it'll get broken into," Simmons said.

Restoring areas around the boat launch and the facility to a profitable state will not be easy, he admitted.

Security and maintenance deficiencies, both products of a down economy, also are intertwined with the park's general lack of use.

Building momentum for the park's future use and profitability will not be easy.

"There's not a silver bullet," Simmons said. "It's gonna take a lot."

The answer, he said, might be easier if the burden wasn't entirely Marysville's to bear. Partnering with Yuba County would make the park eligible for more recreation grant funding.

"If you make a regional park out of it, funds would come," Simmons said.

Meanwhile, confusion about the park's moniker speaks to larger problems of identity.

The name was changed about 20 years ago to Beckwourth Riverfront Park, a reference to James P. Beckwourth, one of the area's best-known pioneers, and to an annual frontier-themed festival named in his honor.

But the festival faded and died, and signage within the park never caught up to reflect the homage.

Such ambiguity doesn't help promote the park's image.

"People don't even know what to call it," Simmons said.

A faded, badly deteriorated sign marking the Beckwourth Riverfront Park boat launch facility helps tell the tale of the park's demise.

Lettering on the once-grand marker claims that the city of Marysville maintained the site.

Evidence of any such maintenance now is scarce.

"They just let it go because they didn't have any money," said Bill Simmons, a former Yuba County supervisor and Marysville City Council member.

The boat launch, like the Mervyns Feather River Pavillion nearby, was built in the 1970s. For 20 years, both facilities enjoyed regular use and brought scores of area residents and visitors to Marysville for recreation and entertainment.

An annual boat race, raft race, Fourth-of-July fireworks celebration, regular concerts and music festivals — from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s, those events kept the park in regular use.

But invasive weeds and litter now dominate areas around the boat launch and amphitheater.

With the exception of Cotton Rosser's annual event, the Flying U Rodeo, the outdoor performance facility and surrounding 7-acre spectator area are almost never used.

"It's not enough to say you want to do events there," said Yuba County Supervisor John Nicoletti. "It takes big investment."

Nicoletti's late father, businessman Robert Nicoletti, was instrumental in the pavilion's creation and in its early use.

But in recent years, the facility and grounds go without upkeep.

"And we've had so many run-ins with thieves," John Nicoletti said. "They cut things up for the copper wiring."

Only a motorcross enterprise on the northern end of the park and athletic fields in the central area show regular activity within the park.

Meanwhile, the site with the greatest financial potential, Simmons said — the boat dock area — is in a miserable state.

"The restrooms are nice. They're up on a hill overlooking the boat dock," said Simmons. "But you can't use them. They're full of needles and feces."

Simmons, an avid boater and fisherman, has been pushing city officials for a decade to restore the boat launch area to its former glory.

He appears to have a new ally in City Manager Walter Munchheimer.

Last month, Munchheimer told a room full of residents and business owners at Caltrans District 3 headquarters that river access represents "the biggest underutilized asset of the city."

Munchheimer's River District designation includes "the entire riverfront area including the levee and beyond, into the inundation areas along the Feather River."

The site is, he noted, "unquestionably difficult to develop, but undeniably underutilized as an economic contributor."

"He wants to do something," said Simmons. "But it has to be a total package."

Simmons believes that making improvements for boaters will be the key to revitalizing the massive swath of park land, as a whole.

He has enlisted help to construct a new fish cleaning station at the site with a Youthbuild grant, materials donated by Recology, and assistance from Frank M. Booth Inc.

The project is simple, he said, "and will cost the city nothing other than reviewing the plans."
Re: Former SNWMF Venue a Sorry Sight
January 15, 2013 03:51AM
Thanks for posting this Rhythm. I cant even begin to say how much this saddens me sad smiley

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
January 15, 2013 06:19PM
yes, Juan, it is sad. The years that were part of Sierra Nevada's inception were, unfortunately. on the downside of the park's viability as a recreation site. The economic downturn seemed to have hit Yuba/Marysville way before the mid 2000nds. There are some awesome memories though, from the shows there.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
January 15, 2013 06:44PM
I miss the old concert bowl! Not a bad seat in the house...

happy reggae
January 16, 2013 04:38PM
some fond memories there, wonder how many tents blown into the water behind the stage in high winds would halt any dredging?

there have been good and bad elements of the three locations I've seen the festival at but for me, Boonville is by far the best-

there's is no "Sliding down the sharp rockslide to get to the market in Marysville and there is no Angel's Camp "Hill climb" to get from one stage to another

In thinking back to Marysville the last year - "some to come play and pray- while some come to prey"
January 16, 2013 05:15PM
DJ BIG JIM

there have been good and bad elements of the three locations I've seen the festival at but for me, Boonville is by far the best-

For me Marysivlle would easily be my favorite venue that Sierra has been held at so far. The first few years at Marysville were some of the best festival experiences I've ever had. Besides the concert bowl, the freedom of the campgrounds is something that I feel Boonville is seriously lacking. One memorie I have that sticks out about Marysiville was the year after Jerry Garcia died some old Rainbow Warrior painted this huge memorial to Jerry and he and several hippies just sat around it weeping. I think about that every time I listen to the Dead, witch is just about everyday...

happy reggae

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 04:29AM by rappy heggae.
January 16, 2013 06:05PM
Marysville was to me the best venue, as far as accommodations. Being able to take a dip in the water onsite is priceless. The bowl was an actual bowl where you could sit up high and watch everthing going on, but the large area in front of the stage was level. The camping was much more comfortable as well. Lots of plush grass. And you were in town so a quick walk could get you services.
January 16, 2013 10:41PM
All I know is I'm glad they moved from Angel's Camp... that place sucked!
January 16, 2013 11:51PM
Reggabe
All I know is I'm glad they moved from Angel's Camp... that place sucked!

Angels Camp was by far the worst venue as of yet, to small and way to dusty. Been to three different festivals there ( SNWMF, Furthur Festival and Serenity) and every time I swore it was my last at that place.

happy reggae
January 17, 2013 03:36AM
rappy heggae
and several hippies just sat around it weeping. I think about that every time I listing to the Dead
lol, I got a similar memory to that but from the day Jerry died, while on the compound at Sheridan Federal Prison Camp, evrytime I listen to the dead, which is not too often at all... but yeah... 'membah dat day well... all kinda bro's weepin'...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 17, 2013 05:37AM
Glad I was there in the mid 90s when it was da $hit. Remember playing frisbee, drinkin cold ones, with naked gals in the Feather all day long....shows didn't start til late cause it was just too hot. Good times. jcom
January 17, 2013 02:34PM
Angel's Camp 2013

[reggaeinthehills.com]

January 17, 2013 04:35PM
heard that RITH was successful last year^

I liked Marysville. only was there in 2000 but as far as venues go, it was the best to date...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 17, 2013 06:38PM
I really like the lineup for this festival ^^^^^ Who is Alex Marley? I had a guy on FB saying that was one of Bobs sons but I am not familiar with him at all.
January 17, 2013 06:42PM
Best venue I have ever been to was Bobs Ranch in Marcola, OR. I did not have the priveledge to attend Marysville. My gf talks about it being the best venue ever! Seems that a lot of folks think that. Is there any festivals at Marysville anymore???
January 17, 2013 06:57PM
No sound curfews or noise issues...Jah Shaka pumping up the volume at 1am...crazy drum circles...frat boys firing water balloons across the campground with a huge inner tube sling-shots...LOL Those indeed were some good ole times.
January 17, 2013 08:24PM
Rhythmwize
No sound curfews or noise issues...Jah Shaka pumping up the volume at 1am...crazy drum circles....

thumbs up What happend to the drum circles? Brought both my drums last year and could'nt find one drum cirlce...

happy reggae
January 17, 2013 11:44PM
rappy heggae
Rhythmwize
No sound curfews or noise issues...Jah Shaka pumping up the volume at 1am...crazy drum circles....

thumbs up What happend to the drum circles? Brought both my drums last year and could'nt find one drum cirlce...

Rappy, lets hook up this year. I bring some every year, and last year I could only find a guitar circle to join!

I too miss Marysville. The setup was pretty hard to beat, although some of those drum circles were lame - (think churning high speed riddims non-stop! haha.).

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
January 18, 2013 02:08AM
Dubguy
rappy heggae
Rhythmwize

Rappy, lets hook up this year. I bring some every year, and last year I could only find a guitar circle to join!

I too miss Marysville. The setup was pretty hard to beat, although some of those drum circles were lame - (think churning high speed riddims non-stop! haha.).

I'd be down like James Brown but I'm not going to make it to Sierra this year. I'll be in New Orleans that weekend. I'll be at ROTR though...

happy reggae
January 19, 2013 12:26AM
I drive through Marysville every 1s inna while... I'll have to stop and take a few photos of River Front park and post the pix. Last time I drove over the Bridge into Yuba City and looked down into the park ... it didn't look too bad but its more of a birds eye view.

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
January 19, 2013 02:38AM
Alex Marley is the son of Peter Marley- who is seen in the recent "Marley" movie listening to Bob's song "Cornerstone"
is a Reggae Musician who has been touring across the US and played Reggae on the Hills last year and again this year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login