Everyone Wants SIZZLA
January 15, 2013 06:50PM
I have read so many of these threads on who the people want to see at snwmf 2013, one name appears again, and again and again. and I bet you can guess who that is, you're right Sizzla Kalonji. So I say, the time has come to give the people what they want drinking smiley
Re: Everyone Wants SIZZLA
January 15, 2013 07:04PM
I agree Yellowberry, been a long time since Sizzla has performed in the Northwest. I too want to see Sizzla! I'd rather see him than Damien Marley who is leading the FB poll.
January 15, 2013 07:09PM
Sizzla over Marley any day of the week....
January 15, 2013 07:32PM

Like it or not, Sizzla does not apologize....Though I doubt the sets would be the same if he was booked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 07:33PM by nahikuroots.
January 15, 2013 07:36PM
Not every one....
AKA
January 15, 2013 07:40PM
Not quite everyone.

Sizzla is one of the last people I would want to see at SNWMF. I personally hope that NOT ONE modern hype up style dancehall artist is booked for 2013. I'd be happy if SNWMF had a rule for the anniversary that every artist booked to perform, must have been recording music at least as early as 1980.

I just thought I'd add my 2 cents, because although I am not someone that posts here very often, I am someone that pays money and attends SNWMF most every year.
January 15, 2013 07:49PM
I can understand why everyone would not want to see Sizzla, I myself am not a big fan of his music but have missed him at ROTR and Reggae Rising and I was at both festivals. I had to hear how good he was each time and I want to see a live as I hear he puts on a SHOW!!! I would rather have Alpha Blondy come personally.
January 15, 2013 08:08PM
J_72
Not every one....

you have me curious... do you even listen to the music ? as in keep up with the latest runnings and/or study the culture behind the music ? or are you just a festival attendee ?

at first i thought most here stayed up on things.. as much as possible.. but i noticed you sought a song/artist id on some tunes that are fairly popular.. if not over-played.. so it made me question if you(or others) just attend the festi or are really fans of the music..
January 15, 2013 08:08PM
January 15, 2013 09:02PM
bigvein
J_72
Not every one....

you have me curious... do you even listen to the music ? as in keep up with the latest runnings and/or study the culture behind the music ? or are you just a festival attendee ?

at first i thought most here stayed up on things.. as much as possible.. but i noticed you sought a song/artist id on some tunes that are fairly popular.. if not over-played.. so it made me question if you(or others) just attend the festi or are really fans of the music..

Provocative post indeed. I attend the festi and have studied the culture behind the music and have visited Jamaica over twenty times going way back to the ska era. I'm a fan of Jamaican music but certainly not all of it, especially much of the latest runnings. I'm sure there are many who attend the festi to just party and have a good time and then there are those that are really obsessive fans of the music and culture and then, of course, there are many who fall somewhere in between those two extremes, like me.

I prefer not to support artists with my ticket money that have a history of chanting racist or homophobic views at concerts or festivals and that would include Sizzla. For me, its a simple matter and consideration.
January 15, 2013 09:32PM
Bigvein that seemed a bit harsh. "at first i thought most here stayed up on things.. as much as possible.. but i noticed you sought a song/artist id on some tunes that are fairly popular.. if not over-played.. so it made me question if you(or others) just attend the festi or are really fans of the music"

I would imagine there are a lot of different people that like to be on this phorum. Myself for example, I am fairly new to reggae and the scene in general. I trained my whole life to play professional soccer, had some terrible knee injuries while playing in college. My life was going downhill quick after that and then I met an awesome couple Walt Waters and Saundra Torres! It was them who introduced me to reggae, the lifestyle and culture. I began attending shows with them, and at first that was it. Then as i met the artist's, met the people, heard the lyrics, my eyes opened. The love that was shown to me was AMAZING!!! But none of this happned till 2006, I am behind and far behind. So many artists to listen to and read about, so many things to learn about the JA culture, the VI culture. So many things to learn about Rastafari. I guess my point is that I have felt very welcomed here as I am still learning, I feel it is a priveledge and an honor to be on here and to meet some of the people that I have. I give thanks for that. I still have a lot to learn and I am sure I ask questions that seem foolish to you or many others. Nothing to do with my love or passion for reggae. I dont normally ever like to call someone out or start controversy with anyone but just wanted to let you know that your comments could come across hurtful or make people feel like you are looking down on them. I respect your knowledge and look forward to learning from each and everyone on here! smiling smiley
January 15, 2013 09:57PM
Hey BV,

While not as active as I once was, or keeping up on the newer artists as I used to, I have been listening to reggae for over twenty years. Lately I have been listening to mostly older reggae, or the artists who I enjoy listening to, and most of the time these do not include many new artists. I understand the culture, and for many years of my life was deeply inspired by the Rastafari Movement. To me there is a difference between understanding of culture and blind acceptance of a culture, and those days of blind acceptance are long behind me.

That being said, I'm not a big Sizzla fan, never have been, and probably never will.

Peace Man!

Edits- clarification and grammar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 11:11PM by J_72.
January 15, 2013 11:06PM
that's a pretty whack comment bigvein. Just because someone doesn't keep up with the latest music from Jamaica does not mean they are not passionate about reggae. Personally I don't care for a lot of the music coming from Jamaica these days, and I'm a die-hard reggae fan.

@Rossta-- For someone who considers themselves "behind" in reggae, you sure have caught up quickly!

Bless.
January 15, 2013 11:39PM
Reggabe, I have caught up quickly with Midnite since 2008 but really dont know much about others as I should. I just learned off this phorum that Garnett Silk died years ago. Had no clue, when the post was put up about MR Silk passing away I thought it was this year. I have know been digging some Garnett Silk and love his music. What a voice. Things like that, that make me keep coming back to this phorum. I had no clue there was other artist out of the VI reggae scene that were as amazing as they are. Again I have this phorum and you all to thank. I need to know the history and need to know the Elders of reggae! Always learning and evolving!
January 16, 2013 01:20AM
Reggabe
that's a pretty whack comment bigvein. Just because someone doesn't keep up with the latest music from Jamaica does not mean they are not passionate about reggae. Personally I don't care for a lot of the music coming from Jamaica these days, and I'm a die-hard reggae fan.

@Rossta-- For someone who considers themselves "behind" in reggae, you sure have caught up quickly!

Bless.

its only whack if you are sensitive or looking to be offended.

the point i was making is that many of your favorite arists hold these beliefs you 'stand against'.. or they at least have a tune(or tunes) burning down soddom(code word for gay.. not wickedness).. or some form of 'racist lyrics'.. dont know how sizzla can be seen as racist.. maybe pro-black... but again.. you all forget, at its core, this is a rebel music.. a music made by the sons of slaves... an oppressed people.. so to charge racism is odd.. but that is another topic.

so to list your fav VI arists, anthony b, etc, to the SNWMF list means one doesnt really keep up with their tunes. or is not familiar with their catalog..

i pretty much have mixes spanning from 1992 to the present, so it is through that medium that allows me to know what i am speaking..

i can go through every artist on the wish list and provide an 'offensive' tune..
January 16, 2013 01:31AM
If you would like to know my own journey, from a personal perspective, shoot me an email. I don't want to bore the forum with the details, especially on a thread entitled "Everyone Wants Sizzla" to which I merely replied, "Not every one" because I don't. Personal preferences BV, that is all.

Peace Man
January 16, 2013 01:33AM
Id love to see Sizzla on the bill this year but I doubt that will happen...

Respect Same Way
January 16, 2013 03:11AM
Sizzla should headline the 20 year anni. Of snwmf!! Hasn't been to the states in years and he has also made some nice conscious tunes as of late.. Which I believe Bv was speaking on in a since... While the same people that rebuke capleton will boycott sizzla.. Fact remains many that pay for tickets would live to see sizzla on a stage like Sierra Nevada
January 16, 2013 04:07AM
No big deal- there are those of us who do not like Sizzla, and have been supporters of Reggae music for years.
January 16, 2013 04:48AM
Yup a very small percent you are Jeff!! Stand tall my brother
January 16, 2013 02:41PM
While Sizzla is one of my favorite modern artists I just dont think he is a good fit at SNWMF the same way I dont think Damon Marley would be a good fit. To me SNWMF has always held a very diverse and family oriented vibe, and I love the music and artists who hold this vibe. More foundation and world artists, less flavor of the month and militant rasta artists I say. Clinton Fearon for SNWMF and Sizzla for ROTR. Just my two cents.....
January 16, 2013 02:54PM
alot of people like to judge their artist with a fine tooth comb.......thats not always possible
he's too much of an alpha male to be welcomed to this breezy festival.......try harping about a different artist IMO
January 16, 2013 02:55PM
J_72
No big deal- there are those of us who do not like Sizzla, and have been supporters of Reggae music for years.

More than one might think.
January 16, 2013 03:28PM
iriebarto
Yup a very small percent you are Jeff!! Stand tall my brother

I am standing tall with Jeff on this one.
January 16, 2013 05:13PM
I believe Sizzla is a hypocrite, that does not always practice what he preaches. The recent dealings with Mugabe in Zimbabwe, the oddness lately with the Rastafarian council, the anti gay comments/tunes.
Seems like most artists don't practice what they preach. Have you seen kalonji's set? Or the Firehouse crew? Sizzla has put on a positive, empowering set without filler the 5 or so times I have seen him in California.
This horse has certainly been beaten to death here, if you don't want to see Sizzla on principle then going to most reggae shows will test your integrity I feel. I know it's been since 2006 or so around here but his live set is the real thing.
So for those that would not be interested in seeing him live, have you seen the live performance or is this opinion based on what you know about Sizzla?
January 16, 2013 05:32PM
Exactly SCroots! A really nice show when he's on point
January 16, 2013 06:06PM
Sizzla would be an excellent draw and an irie addition to the lineup.
January 16, 2013 06:16PM
I have seen his live performance twice and would enjoy seeing him again. I understand why some would not like to see him, for those people, now you will have a good chance to go to the other stage or go back to camp for a nap.
January 16, 2013 06:18PM
anyone remember the sizzla and capleton tour circa 1999-2000 ?

anyone attend the hollywood park show around that same time ?

easily the best show i have ever been too..

but then again that was at the height of the whole bun fire business.. nothing was spared in those times..
January 16, 2013 06:29PM
SCRoots
So for those that would not be interested in seeing him live, have you seen the live performance or is this opinion based on what you know about Sizzla?

I always form my opinions on what I know. And what I know has prevented me from attending any of his shows.

Here's what I know:

- He advocates the murder of homosexuals
- in 1998 at Sumfest, he uged his audience to 'burn all the white people in Jamaica'
- His songs contain lyrics that I cannot support or ignore: 'Queers must be killed', 'Sodomites and queers, I say death to them', and 'burn the men who have sex with men from behind', for example.

My objection is not that Sizzler finds homosexuality distasteful or that he does not like white people -- everyone has the right to their own opinion. My objection is that he uses the stage to promote murder.

My conscience does not allow me to support artists that promote violence. So enjoy your Sizzla show, shrink-wrapped and sanitized to allow you Cali-heads to soothe your conscience and tell yourselves that "he's changed".
January 16, 2013 06:30PM
but if i dont get my desire.
then ill set your plantation on fire.

gregory issaacs

Walter
SCRoots

I always form my opinions on what I know. And what I know has prevented me from attending any of his shows.

Here's what I know:

- He advocates the murder of homosexuals
- in 1998 at Sumfest, he uged his audience to 'burn all the white people in Jamaica'
- His songs contain lyrics that I cannot support or ignore: 'Queers must be killed', 'Sodomites and queers, I say death to them', and 'burn the men who have sex with men from behind', for example.

My objection is not that Sizzler finds homosexuality distasteful or that he does not like white people -- everyone has the right to their own opinion. My objection is that he uses the stage to promote murder.

My conscience does not allow me to support artists that promote violence. So enjoy your Sizzla show, shrink-wrapped and sanitized to allow you Cali-heads to soothe your conscience and tell yourselves that "he's changed".
January 16, 2013 06:44PM
Apples and Oranges. Everyone, except for the most ardent racists, will agree that slavery is evil. The institution had to be destroyed. The plantation refered to in the lyric for Slave Master is symbolic for the institution of slavery and the 'fire' is the outrage against that injustice against all humanity.

No need to argue - I get it - you like Sizzla and he puts on a great show. I accept your viewpoint as valid for you and plenty of people will agree with you. Go ahead on with your bad self. I do not share your point of view. You will not convince me and I will not convince you, so let the music play!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2013 08:10PM by Walter.
January 16, 2013 10:16PM
January 16, 2013 10:27PM
I personally hope that NOT ONE modern hype up style dancehall artist is booked for 2013.

I have to admit i agree with this. I just don't care for the yelling. I like some of these artists, but would like to tell them that i would like them more if they quieted down a little and sang instead of overpowering the mic with loud yelling. Anthony B sings.

Love that reggae!
January 16, 2013 10:34PM
@bigvein-- yeah I guess you touched a nerve with your comment. no harm. I for one would love to see Sizzla, his set at the last ROTR was off the hook! Yes he has some controversial lyrics, but who doesn't? I disagree that he would not be a good fit at SNWMF, I think he would be an excellent fit, especially since they have hosted Buju, Anthony B, & Lutan Fyah, to name a few. How is Sizzla any different?

And if not Sizzla, how about Capleton? smiling smiley
January 17, 2013 01:49AM
Sizzla is the best.......i've heard the rest.....no I know he is the most controversial.....In this year of uproar....maybe it's time to hear the lion roar.....cause an uprising....no bettter, just listen to the roots and nap better........but some will stick to his worst quotes...that's ok..I will not come if u don't bring him..I will send my team of 10 dubstep RV's to take my place...!!!! With Hidden compartment subwoofers.. secret airhorn ninja fraternity boys equipped with disco whistles.........But on the other hand JUNIOR KELLY deserves a headlining set.and the encore that he commanded...
January 17, 2013 01:52AM
oh and the Lakers are the best, usually.....Haters commence the attack
January 17, 2013 01:59AM
What a brilliant plan random.. Assemble your dub steppers now
January 17, 2013 10:57AM
@randomguy2u -- hilarious!

Sadly, my Lakers seem to be in the ditch this year. No sixth ring for KBB this year and its likely that my Lakers will miss the playoffs. What a disaster Jim "Short" Buss is at running Daddy's team... That said, like every year since 1963, I will be rooting for them.
January 17, 2013 03:05PM
I like Mr Blacks solution........If you don't like Sizzla.......GO REST YOUR NECK!!!!!!
January 17, 2013 03:24PM
strikkly
I like Mr Blacks solution........If you don't like Sizzla.......GO REST YOUR NECK!!!!!!

I do that every time Midnite plays. smiling smiley
January 17, 2013 03:39PM
strikkly

Yes, I too like Mr. Black's solution -- although I won't be resting anything. I'll be head-bobbing to some other artist. This is truly one of the strengths of SNWMF - variety and choice.

Let the music play.
January 17, 2013 04:31PM
I'd prefer Jr Gong.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 17, 2013 04:33PM
J_72
strikkly

MIDNITE!!! Lets hope they headline Friday or Saturday night at SNWMF this year!!!! I am always down to "rest my neck" to the best in band in the biz. IMO. I know a lot of you dont like Midnite. I will take Midnite over Sizzla every day of the week.
January 17, 2013 06:32PM
J_72
strikkly

Hahah cheers!! We can agree on something lol
January 17, 2013 06:40PM
Iriebarto, Do you own any Midnite albums? I want to turn you into a fan. LOL. Maybe I need a trip down to Southern Oregon to chill with you and listen to some music. I can share some Midnite songs I love and you show me some tunes and artists you love! My grandma is moving to grants pass so I will be coming to SO Oregon from time to time.
January 17, 2013 08:33PM
Walter
strikkly

Yes, I too like Mr. Black's solution -- although I won't be resting anything. I'll be head-bobbing to some other artist. This is truly one of the strengths of SNWMF - variety and choice.

Let the music play.

No, I don't like Mr. Blacks solution. And here's why:

The festival has a fixed budget to pay for all the artists performance fees.

Correct if I'm wrong, but I assume that Sizzla will command a hefty booking fee similar to a headliner.

That means that he will take the place of another top reggae artist that could have been booked with that money.

And frankly, there are many more excellent reggae artists that deserve and need that kind of payday.

Furthermore, why would the festival want to pay big bucks to a controversial and divisive artist that has a history of bigotry?
I would say that's not good for the festival's image.

My solution would be since Sizzle is supposedly in such high demand that you should lobby another promoter to book him at a separate show somewhere. Then you Sizzle fans can get your fix and pay his booking fee with just your ticket purchases.
January 18, 2013 12:51AM
It seems that we have a hard time expressing our opinions without judging others for theirs. I'm confident that calmer heads will prevail and try and provide a balance of artists for all to have a positive experience on the 20th anniversary. That is also the upside of having 2 stages. Of course the downside is 2 artists you want to see playing at the same time on separate stages, which is usually my problem. Controversial artists have performed at this festival in the past. Capleton, yes Capleton!! performed at SNWMF in 2003. Shaggy performed in 2005 and got very little love, the threads still exist on this phorum. Mutabaruka performed that year as well. We might want to remember that it's SNWMF not SNRMF or even SNDHMF. Forward Femi Kuti he was great in 2009

January 18, 2013 01:13AM
yes we can all agree on one thing.....There ought to be another festival that feature Sizzla for hours, maybe days.....He has enough good music.....Bring on SIZZLAFEST........friday night just CAPLETON........Saturday night just SIZZLA...and more Sizzla...Sunday with Busy Signal......Midnite every morning ....spearhead and groundation can play in the day.
January 18, 2013 01:15AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 03:38AM by J_72.
January 18, 2013 02:16AM
Tyler iam always done brother.. Iam very open minded, but iam not afraid to let you know what just doesn't hit me .. Wish you could make it to the show tomarow bro .. One of these days we will kick it and reason of some highgrade
January 18, 2013 04:59AM
There he goes, bashing on Midnite again. Open your minds!
January 18, 2013 09:41AM
nahikuroots
Forward Femi Kuti he was great in 2009

just saw him tonight at the bellyup...what a great show....would love to see him in june!
AJ
January 18, 2013 01:10PM
nahikuroots
Forward Femi Kuti he was great in 2009
thumbs up
January 19, 2013 12:47AM
Reggabe
There he goes, bashing on Midnite again. Open your minds!

I'm sorry reggaebe! I couldn't help it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 23, 2013 05:03PM
J72 you seem like a good person full of good morals! Does Midnite just bore you that much that you cant enjoy their uplifting lyrics?
January 23, 2013 05:09PM
iriebarto
Tyler iam always done brother.. Iam very open minded, but iam not afraid to let you know what just doesn't hit me .. Wish you could make it to the show tomarow bro .. One of these days we will kick it and reason of some highgrade

Look forward to kickin it with some Oregon hi grade! Wish I could have made it too. Especially since Anthony B show got cancelled in Bend. How was Perfect that night? What about Anthony B? Sure they both killed it. We got I Vibes and M Rose and Sis Carol coming to Portland. I think i will be in Cali though following Midnite around and have to miss those.
January 23, 2013 05:33PM
The show in Portland was nice.. U gonna watch midnite in southern Oregon?? Lets smoke some errrrl
January 23, 2013 05:40PM
I left at 1:45AM and Anthong B was still not on stage. The band had just started to play and someone else started performing.
January 23, 2013 05:52PM
Yeah I left in the middle of Anthony bs set cuz everyone was getting tired .. I was surprised it was still going.. Whole thing started laaate.. We even showed up late cuz no one wanted to watch serious seriously..
January 23, 2013 07:06PM
All good J-72. You provided the bait & I bit. As Rossta said, you seem like a good dude, & it is hard for me to understand how someone who loves reggae does not like Midnite. Their lyrics are the best! But I will stop beating this dead horse...
Bless.
January 23, 2013 07:22PM
rossta8888
J72 you seem like a good person full of good morals! Does Midnite just bore you that much that you cant enjoy their uplifting lyrics?

Sorry, didn't see this, thanks reggaeb. I think Midnite is boring, good lyrics but a little too slow for me. The beauty of music though- a purely subjective experience.

Jeff
January 23, 2013 09:25PM
wouldnt miss Midnite in Williams or Provolt for anything! I am catching them in Portland and Seattle too! I will link up with you Iriebarto.
January 24, 2013 03:51AM
I might go just cuz I love the provolt shows
January 26, 2013 04:17PM
I saw Black Chiney in Panama. He was great....Local Dj's though, how many times u gotta bun batty man? U can state your beliefs one time fine but I'm not going to put my hand in the air all night..U ain't got nothing else to say? It really made me realize how out-of-hand it can get....So I overstand how the other side of the coin will stick to their principals for a thing an artist has said. But Sizzla has so much good things to say don't close your ears just yet....But he doesn't care, he not apologize..A recent song says he will kill the pope. stick to your guns. U know Clinton was the best president of my generation, but people won't get past the blow-job....There is so much other sh*t going on in the world. can't u bun out something we can all agree on. Personally for mi, BUN OUT THIEVES!
January 26, 2013 05:40PM
Clinton was a good one.. We need another Kennedy tho
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login