Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Camping, Onsite Vs. Hendy

Posted by VgVgirl 
Camping, Onsite Vs. Hendy
January 29, 2013 04:51PM
Can anyone help me with some pros and cons of camping onsite vs. Hendy please? I've only camped at Hendy and am considering staying onsite this year. Thanks!
Re: Camping, Onsite Vs. Hendy
January 29, 2013 05:18PM
ONSITE -
Lovingly referred to as the Jungle (for a good reason).
Dubstep blaring all night.
Tweekers falling onto your tent.
Minimal Shade.
Close to venue.

HENDY -
Sleep with a redwood tree.
Civilized toilets.
No dubstep blaring all night.
Chance to meet the real Ras Smoka.
Kinda far from Venue.
January 29, 2013 06:35PM
Pro. Your right by the music
Con. Your right by the music, lack of shade and space to spread out. People acting wild all night long. Overused porta toilets, over zealous security.
January 29, 2013 06:46PM
If you decide to camp on site try and go with as big a group as possible. More cars equals more space. To say that space is limited is an understatement...

happy reggae
January 29, 2013 08:32PM
hmmmm....

Onsite-
stage is 3 mins away (Able to go back and forth between sets/artists) and hang with friends.
Must create own shade and with a group of people this is very easy
Much louder at night, but last year was a lot better for us without EDM/dubstep around
Can smoke and drink if you want and walk back to your tent without getting into a car

Hendy-
Must drive or be driven to and fro fest
More peaceful

That sums it up if you ask me.
January 29, 2013 09:43PM
So the overall opinion, going by these responses, is purely subjective.
January 29, 2013 09:43PM
How about the showers onsite?
AJ
January 29, 2013 10:01PM
Hendy is the place for me. 10~15 minute drive one way is nothing. I drive to the fest and my wife drives us back.
See you there Jeff.
January 29, 2013 11:29PM
personally - I stay at the brewery.....
much more civilized than on-site and much closer than Hendy.
January 29, 2013 11:30PM
Hendy for us.

Features:
Early morning birdwatching hikes before breakfast, swimming in the Navarro River on Thursday/Friday before fest and Sat/Sunday before heading 10 minutes to venue, nice and quiet neighbors at night when you NEED sleep, nice and friendly neighbors when you DON'T NEED sleep, real showers, and most importantly, abundant respect amongst the park visitors (they're not all SNWMF attendees).

I find that the 36-40 hours that I spend in the venue with the thousands of partying attendees is more than enough togetherness for me.
January 29, 2013 11:44PM
I experience the best of both worlds... we stay at Hendy Woods on Weds and Thurs then make the move to the festival grounds when the gates open Friday morning. That way you get to swim in the river and chill low key for a couple nights before the festival starts, and you're only 15 minutes from the venue on Friday morning so you can cruise into town and get breakfast and coffee while you wait for the gates to open, works out great.
January 30, 2013 12:08AM
I did the brewery last year loved it, and drove and dipped in the creek on Sunday morn ... best of both worlds imo
January 30, 2013 12:57AM
Yeah man.....the brewery was awesome last year. Good sleep, good people and a 5-10 minute walk to the music....
January 30, 2013 06:05AM
How about a DUI over not getting a DUI. That one is easy. Stay at AVBC.
January 30, 2013 12:50PM
Part of the experience for us is camping, almost as much as the music. We love Hendy Woods!
January 30, 2013 03:39PM
westafari
How about a DUI over not getting a DUI. That one is easy. Stay at AVBC.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like Johnny Law would be out in full force on the road back to Hendy.

happy reggae
January 30, 2013 04:24PM
and if they're not they should be.
January 30, 2013 06:46PM
That's assuming every drinks large amounts of alcohol at the festival...
January 31, 2013 03:29AM
You can get a DUI from other things now days. They treat everything the same. Lame but true. Even the ganja. CHP is on that road. Easy Pickens. Saw them twice last year.
January 31, 2013 04:33AM
westafari
You can get a DUI from other things now days. They treat everything the same. Lame but true. Even the ganja. CHP is on that road. Easy Pickens. Saw them twice last year.

There's Ganga at reggae festivals?

happy reggae
January 31, 2013 08:10AM
"Ganga is a bird..." - Peter Tosh
January 31, 2013 04:23PM
westafari
You can get a DUI from other things now days. .

DRIVE LEGALLY (especially if you are smoking) and you won't get stopped.
January 31, 2013 04:35PM
"DRIVE LEGALLY (especially if you are smoking) and you won't get stopped. "

Don't we wish this was true. Cops proved to me they were dirty a couple years ago after reggae on the river. Driving legally doesn't protect you from dirty cops.

Love that reggae!
January 31, 2013 04:48PM
nomotrouble
"DRIVE LEGALLY (especially if you are smoking) and you won't get stopped. "

Don't we wish this was true. Cops proved to me they were dirty a couple years ago after reggae on the river. Driving legally doesn't protect you from dirty cops.
Word....cops and crooks are the same people. Its just that crooks are honest about being crooks.
January 31, 2013 05:06PM
i'm thinking that the local police/troopers know the financial importance of the festival to Boonville and the area, also the financial importance of weed and they are not going to act like ghetto cops.

Be aware of your surroundings and DRIVE LEGALLY and you won't get stopped (between Hendy & festival).
January 31, 2013 07:11PM
mulligan
i'm thinking that the local police/troopers know the financial importance of the festival to Boonville and the area, also the financial importance of weed and they are not going to act like ghetto cops.

Be aware of your surroundings and DRIVE LEGALLY and you won't get stopped (between Hendy & festival).

I agree with this under these circumstances. There are usually a couple law enforcement cars parked in front of the festival when we leave after 1 am but its always been my impression, and Ive made that drive about 15 times, that unless you burn rubber and speed off in a drunken rage yelling "phuck the pigs" they will not be following and stopping you.
January 31, 2013 07:57PM
yeah - i've notice police out front also....my impression is that they are there just to ogle the girls (nice work if you can get it).
January 31, 2013 08:59PM
It always seems like a quietly pleasant and lonely ride (in a good way) back to Hendy after hours.
January 31, 2013 11:14PM
We have driven back and forth a couple of years with absolutely no issues at all. The police out front are for crowd control. Of course, we're usually parked a short walk away from the fairgrounds, so out of sight while driving off, and although we do like to have a couple of fine ales throughout the day, we are not drunk either, so it's been no problem.
January 31, 2013 11:35PM
Are there any places in town to park your car(other than on the festival grounds) for the weekend if you're planning on coming up Saturday? A friend of mine is planning to come up on saturday but will be camping with us at the festival and just needs a place to safely park his car until Monday. Bless!!
January 31, 2013 11:44PM
williemon
Are there any places in town to park your car(other than on the festival grounds) for the weekend if you're planning on coming up Saturday? A friend of mine is planning to come up on saturday but will be camping with us at the festival and just needs a place to safely park his car until Monday. Bless!!

Plenty of parking around town, just be respectful of the town folk.

happy reggae
February 01, 2013 12:04AM
Williemon, make sure your friend knows that in order to camp on site they need the 3 day festival admission. Single day ticket purchasers aren't allowed into the festival camp area.
February 04, 2013 10:49PM
I am still wondering about the conditions of the ladies rooms & showers there....anybody? Another thing, I don't understand why people leave the festival show areas during the day/eve/night, what's up with that? To hang with friends??? Aren't they at the fest too?
February 04, 2013 11:34PM
I used a shower that was in one of the fair ground facilities, it was clean but water was pretty cold. In my experience the bathrooms stay fairly clean, especially the ones up in the festival. I've camped at Hendy, and I've camped on site. Ideally the way to go is RV on site, but if you can't do that, tent camping is the next best thing. It's nice to be able to go back to camp, to change clothes or freshen up or get something to eat or just to take a rest all without leaving the festival. This is just my opinion. Just be prepared to have a very small camp spot with neighbors right on top of you...lol....kind of like the old rotr days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 01:27AM by yellowberry.
February 05, 2013 08:50PM
Thanks y'all for the feedback! See ya at the fest and Hendy smiling smiley I need hot showers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login