Car commercial controversy
January 30, 2013 03:26PM
Volkswagen Super Bowl Ad

I find it humorous that this is offensive to some. How exactly is this racist? I think it's just plain funny

and the video itself:

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 03:29PM by Dubguy.
Re: Car commercial controversy
January 30, 2013 03:53PM
I think its funny. Especially because of the reggae artists coming outa Germany with heavy patois accents (Gentleman, Cornadoor...).
January 30, 2013 03:57PM
Some people have nothing better to do than find something to bitch about....Although im a little upset about the inacurracies in the speach patten. Proper patois would be " no worries mi bredda sticky bun soon come" not " come soon". Jeeez.
January 30, 2013 06:05PM
Imagine if the guy in the commercial was doing a Charlie Chan impression. That would be looked at as pretty racist huh? Same thing here. Not surprisingly, a lot of black people have found this commercial offensive. Just like they do in real life, when white clowns run around doing their auditory minstrel show.
January 30, 2013 06:29PM
I don't think its racist, in that there are plenty of white people in JA that have the Carribbean accent and uses patios. The most racist thing that I see in all of this is the outrage apparently generated by the assumption that the only people in JA that uses accented JA patios are black.
January 30, 2013 06:40PM
i agree with walter

so who is saying that it is racist ? is it Black Jamaicans, Chinese Jamaicans, Indian Jamaicans ?

i don't recall anyone complaining about the " Jamaicans skit" that they used to do on the tv show "In Living Color"
January 30, 2013 06:52PM
Walter
I don't think its racist, in that there are plenty of white people in JA that have the Carribbean accent and uses patios. The most racist thing that I see in all of this is the outrage apparently generated by the assumption that the only people in JA that uses accented JA patios are black.

Well put. All the offense I've seen about these adds seems to be from people in the states. Jamaican is a nationality, not a race. The reaction to these adds in Jamaica has been pretty good actually.
January 31, 2013 12:06AM
wellcharge
so who is saying that it is racist ? "

mghifi
January 31, 2013 06:24AM
January 31, 2013 01:06PM
[jamaicaglasshouse.wordpress.com]

A perspective on the non-matter from a Jamaican blogger
January 31, 2013 04:58PM
The comments from Jamaicans on youtube and Huffpost about this commercial seem to be overwhelmingly positive, although an awful lot of them are scratching their heads about why this would be considered racist.
February 01, 2013 01:28AM
February 01, 2013 01:49AM
Hmmm, seems to me like it wasn't the Volkswagon that make the drive so Irie... unless Volkswagon is a German engineered strain I have never heard of before.
February 01, 2013 03:35AM
I think people from all over the world use Patios and relax on them, regardless of nationality and beliefs.
February 01, 2013 03:41AM
I saw one of these commercials from VW last night during American Idol featuring someone who really made my SNWMF experience last year, Jimmy Cliff and I found nothing offensive in it.
February 01, 2013 03:05PM
great skit......Germans are certainly different from Americans........they were clowning obviously....
but I do believe that Europeans have used patois in their music in a more natural and believable way than some of us Americans (the worst being the fake patois sound systems)
February 04, 2013 08:23PM
February 04, 2013 08:52PM
Ras James

DWL!! (=ROTFLMRassO!)
February 04, 2013 09:14PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login