Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF 2013 Presents - Windy City

Posted by Daniel 
SNWMF 2013 Presents - Windy City
January 31, 2013 11:38PM
Re: SNWMF 2013 Presents - Windy City
February 01, 2013 10:34AM
Korean roots music coming to SNWMF in June. I've had this song in my head ever since the SNWMF artists mp3 stream was put together yesterday:

And, if you want a little taste of the music headed to boomville, you know where to go........
February 01, 2013 09:13PM
Daniel
Korean roots music coming to SNWMF in June. I've had this song in my head ever since the SNWMF artists mp3 stream was put together yesterday:

And, if you want a little taste of the music headed to boomville, you know where to go........
I have no idea what they are saying, but the vibe is well nice.
February 02, 2013 07:45AM
Here's a video of Windy City performing "Janchi Reggae" before a live audience. To my eyes, this appears to be a very "mainstream" audience that seems to be feeling it. I love the style that combines brittish steppers beats (ala twinkle brothers), with the didgeridoo. Add Beck JungHyun's melodica into the mix and you've got VIBES:

And here's a next video of Windy City jamming street-side in an acoustic nyahbinghi style:

But, perhaps the favorite video of Windy City I've found is this one. It's obviously a TV show. I'm not sure if this is some of 'talent' show or what, but check out how the people in the audience react. At first, they seemed a bit stunned - not surprising in that they are 'beating down the walls of babylon' nyahbinghi style, but they sure seem to get into it as the beat progresses. I'm not sure who the guy in the straw hat they keep showing is - perhaps the Korean version of Simon Fuller....

Windy City's Drummer - Kim Ban-Jang - is also involved with a next Korean band called "I and I Djangdan". Warren brought me back a CD of thier's when he went Korea this summer, that I find astonishing. Jang-Goon's vocals over nyah riddims with some melodica thrown into the mix is what I like to call "goosebump" music - RASTA VIBES:

February 02, 2013 07:52AM
Nice!

Love that reggae!
February 02, 2013 02:34PM
Will definitely not miss Windy City....have already been in touch with the group in order to get my hands on some of their music for airplay on my radio show. Love the vibe! Reminds me of Gomba Jahbari.

Jah Son
February 02, 2013 03:41PM
Yes Windy City and I and I Djangdan are top shelf stuff, reggae mixed with their various traditional sounds. I met Hoarang and his wife who does the art for I and I Djangdan and their lovely baby at a session in France couple of years ago. They were very nice people and the albums they gave use featuring both groups are great. Very cool and surprising to see Windy City booked at SNWMF! Bring I and I Djangdan to SNWMF next!
February 02, 2013 07:05PM
Thanks for posting those videos Daniel. I am seriously looking forward to seeing these guys live. Like Duborganic stated, the reggae rythm mixed with their traditional sounds works so very well together. Great job to whoever suggested these guys.
February 02, 2013 11:38PM
this is really great stuff / love these vibes!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 15, 2013 09:01PM
This could easily be a session in the hills of Jamaica or even the west end of STX, but it's taking place in Seoul, Korea:

March 02, 2013 11:03AM
Windy City will be in Austin, Texas later this month to participate in the SXSW Festival. Their appearance is scheduled for Thursday, March 14 (10:00pm -10:40pm) at the Flamingo Cantina. I would recommend attendance most haile for any boardies in that neck of the woods. The Skatalites will also be performing at the same venue that night.

The band will be in Austin from 3/12 to 3/16, and any media folks interested in seeing their performance or conducting an interview with them (they speak English too) should contact me ASAP.......
March 15, 2013 08:16AM
yes, Windy City played Austin last night, hoping to get a report here from Sis Irie

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
March 15, 2013 08:18AM
That would be awesome! I would love to hear about their show. I would imagine it is going to be a positive report!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login