Posted by Daniel 
SNWMF 2013 Presents - Ghetto Youth Crew
February 01, 2013 07:38AM
Re: SNWMF 2013 Presents - Ghetto Youth Crew
February 01, 2013 01:56PM
Christopher Ellis is a singer not to miss:

February 01, 2013 03:38PM
The ghetto youth crew used to be Damien, Julian, and Stephen marley. How can these other artist steal their name. It is kind off false advertising. Can anyone explain this. It's like my new band calling themselves the wailers or Morgan heritage right?
February 01, 2013 04:11PM
westafari
The ghetto youth crew used to be Damien, Julian, and Stephen marley. How can these other artist steal their name. It is kind off false advertising. Can anyone explain this. It's like my new band calling themselves the wailers or Morgan heritage right?

Ghetto Youths is the label ran by Damien, Stephen, etc... These are the artists they are working with currently.
February 01, 2013 04:29PM
this is not false advertising.. Stephen toured in the past years as Stephen Marley & The Ghetto Youths Crew..

FYI: Jo Mersa is Stephen's son

Back in the 90s.. GYC was the Marleys plus Chewstick, Daddigon, Sli and others.. so this is GYC in 2013 smiling smiley
February 01, 2013 05:21PM
Man this would be a good one too
February 01, 2013 05:55PM
AWWWWWW SHIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!

We gonna get to se them bless Go Hard!! LIve!!!!!!!!!!!! Chuuuuuune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 01, 2013 08:01PM
OoooH GOShhhhhhhh thumbs up

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
February 01, 2013 09:43PM
Julian
this is not false advertising.. Stephen toured in the past years as Stephen Marley & The Ghetto Youths Crew..

Back in the 90s.. GYC was the Marleys plus Chewstick, Daddigon, Sli and others.. so this is GYC in 2013 smiling smiley

That's what I thought too. Stephen toured with the GYC back in the fall and on that tour it was his son (Jo Mersa) and Spragga Benz holding it town (at leats in Arcata). I personally am stoked to see Christopher Ellis and Wayne Marshall
February 01, 2013 09:44PM
Redwood Rebel
Julian

That's what I thought too. Stephen toured with the GYC back in the fall and on that tour it was his son (Jo Mersa) and Spragga Benz holding it town (at leats in Arcata). I personally am stoked to see Christopher Ellis and Wayne Marshall

tru tru tru !!!
February 01, 2013 10:50PM
BIG ganja tune Still ~>

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
February 02, 2013 01:35AM
My bad. I remember rort 1999 and 2000 when it's was just the marleys. They would wear all camo. It was so bad ass.
February 02, 2013 02:01AM
Theres still plenty of time to add a Julian to the bill. GYC now and then.....imagine how that would go down...
February 02, 2013 02:09AM
Looking for tracks by Joe Mersa, but can't find anything...any leads any body?
February 02, 2013 02:16AM
yellowberry

Here's one: Jo Mersa - Bad So
February 02, 2013 02:27AM
reggae.truth
yellowberry

Here's one: Jo Mersa - Bad So

Nice! Many thanx
February 02, 2013 05:05PM
Westfari wrote "My bad. I remember rort 1999 and 2000 when it's was just the marleys. They would wear all camo. It was so bad ass."

I remember one writer's first hand account of this performance which was all macho posturing, bodyguard thuggery, and a generally mediocre shouting match disguised as entertainment..

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
February 02, 2013 05:51PM
papaken
Westfari wrote "My bad. I remember rort 1999 and 2000 when it's was just the marleys. They would wear all camo. It was so bad ass."

I remember one writer's first hand account of this performance which was all macho posturing, bodyguard thuggery, and a generally mediocre shouting match disguised as entertainment..

From my point of view I agree westafari....I was there one of those years and all and all the performance was wicked!
February 02, 2013 06:04PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 09:36PM by J_72.
February 02, 2013 07:22PM
again.. this is first and foremost a ghetto people music... and yes.. it will include performances and lyrical presentations which refelect that enviroment.. its as if most here only listen to this music to rebel against mommy and daddy.. to offend the norms of their family.

the 'problem' with the music arises when the artist reminds the audience from whence they(artist) came.

as long the artists keeps rolling the joints.. doesnt big up marcus too much.. and doesnt select from the local gyal pickings... then its all good.. but once that line is crossed, then its 'know your place blackie'
February 02, 2013 07:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 09:35PM by J_72.
February 02, 2013 10:17PM
GYC 1999 at ROTR

February 02, 2013 10:47PM
Is that the same the Wayne Marshall i'm thinking of? Must be a different Wayne Marshall.
February 03, 2013 01:54AM
Julian
GYC 1999 at ROTR

This show, this song, was one of the top 5 show moments I've ever seen. BANANAS!
February 03, 2013 03:11AM
agreed .....one of the best shows-moments in history....one that will never be repeated
February 03, 2013 03:17AM
agreed....so intense!
February 03, 2013 05:39AM
thats like some public enemy x beastie boys x rage against the machine mash up ish* feeling those vibes...
February 03, 2013 09:39AM
saw the GYC in 2011 in san diego and it was real nice...i really enjoyed christopher ellis...he's got a real nice voice. I saw Jo perform at that show too and again a few months ago when stephen came along and his stage presence has really stepped up. I'd really like to see spragga brought along again...he did a killer set before stephen.
February 03, 2013 06:42PM
In that video, who is the artist with the super deep voice with no dreads. That isn't a marley. Is that bounty killa???
February 03, 2013 06:45PM
thats Daddigon RIP

like I wrote... GYC back in the days were Stephen, Julian and Damian plus Daddigon, Sli, Chewstick.. they were on stage all together.
February 05, 2013 03:00AM
Thanks for the update. Was not sure of the three other names who he was specifically.
February 05, 2013 06:00PM
They need more people on stage singing, dancing and jumping.
February 05, 2013 06:14PM
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 07:21PM by yellowberry.
February 05, 2013 07:32PM
Hey j 72 why do you delete all your posts when anyone calls you out? You should just think twice before you type in the first place?
February 05, 2013 07:38PM
Strikkly, it's got nothing to do with BV "calling me out' as his comments weren't necessarily directed at me personally. You're right though, I should think before wasting my time responding and arguing with people I don't even know on a public message forum. Most of the time I think afterwards, "why?" So instead of going in circles with people, I delete.

Peace
February 05, 2013 07:49PM
Is this 'the' wayne marshall?
February 05, 2013 08:42PM
yellowberry
Is this 'the' wayne marshall?

I'm going to say YES to this one.....
February 05, 2013 08:58PM
It's this Wayne Marshall:

WAYNE MARSHALL - BIO
“Many are called but the chosen few,” Wayne Marshall sang on “Overcome,” one of his earliest breakthrough hits. “Nothing in this world that you cannot do.” Through a blend of hard work, determination, and undeniable talent, Marshall has managed to overcome all obstacles in his path, proving that these words were more than just catchy lyrics. To paraphrase the singer’s well-known catchphrase, his song proved to be Tru tru tru. And following this credo has afforded him the right to be counted among reggae’s chosen few.

Though best known as a dancehall performer, Wayne Marshall’s multifaceted abilities defy easy categorization. For more than a decade now, Marshall has evolved through different stages in the music industry, playing a crucial role both onstage and behind the scenes as a songwriter, producer, musician, and creative strategist. After collaborating with a variety of reggae’s important collectives, including Ward 21, Vybz Kartel, Sean Paul and Bounty Killer’s Alliance, Marshall has recently aligned himself with the Ghetto Youths International movement—with immediate and explosive results.

“ Wayne has always been a brethren of mine,” says Damian “Junior Gong” Marley of their collaborative chemistry. “Music is what made me know him. Wayne does a whole heap of writing, even for other artists. He has always had a gift for different topics, and he comes up with certain kinds of concepts.” But most of all Damian Marley rates Marshall for his drive. “He has a great ambition to work—and to cross over and be bigger than just, say, the dancehall market. Sometimes if you have too much ego it is a barrier. But he’s open to try anything to really further himself. He has good music and is always willing to learn.”

And the feeling is clearly mutual: “Damian has a lot of respect on the ground in Jamaica,” Marshall affirms. “He welcomes a different arm of artists who I don’t really know, which brings a different energy and unification. I’m very excited about where I am—productionwise and labelwise, I just feel good. It feels right. The whole Ghetto Youths movement that’s going on right now is crazy. You have Christopher Ellis carrying on his father’s legacy, and then there’s Black Am I and Joe Mersa coming up with raw talent and ability. The thing is alive and well.

Wayne Marshall first established his name with hardcore cuts like “Melody of War” on Ward 21’s Bellyas riddim and “When The Smoke Clears,” a devastating duet with Bounty Killer. Then in 2002 he had not one but two cuts on the internationally acclaimed Diwali riddim, featuring on Bounty Killer’s smash hit “Sufferer” as well as singing the inspirational solo cut “Overcome.” That track became not just a career-defining song, but a mantra of personal responsibility and inspiration: “Times well hard in yard today / If you don’t work then you won’t get pay / Many obstacles come along the way / Overcome, youths overcome.” More recently Marshall experimented with new sounds and styles on tracks like the internationally celebrated club banger “Messing With My Heart” as well as brainstorming the innovative Matrimony riddim, for which all the songs were conceptually linked by the topic of marriage—elevating the project from an ordinary dancehall juggling to a thematically unified mix with a video to match.

Since joining the Ghetto Youths camp, he’s released the epic posse cut “Go Hard,” which also features Damian Marley, Assassin, I-Octane, Bounty Killer, Aidonia, and—most surprisingly—the Worldboss himself, Vybz Kartel, who has been incarcerated for a year now. “Everybody wants to know how did we get Kartel on this track?” Marshall says with palpable enthusiasm. “It’s crazy. I really feel like that song is a big deal.” Extended mixes of the tune include verses from Sizzla, Kunley of Ward 21, and Bling Dawg—with remixes in the works that include lyricists from other creative traditions such as hip-hop and grime. Somehow as the artists pass the microphone like a baton in a relay race, the musical momentum never lets up—indeed, it only seems to increase as the track goes on.

Marshall says the creative process behind “Go Hard” started with him and co-producer Baby G seeking to create a “mixtape style” record around an explosive rhythm track built by in-demand studio musician Teetimus. “We wanted to make a big collaborative dancehall track with that kind of Wu-Tang feel,” Marshall explains. “Hip-hop energy blended with that dancehall snare—just something anthem-like.”

His debut album under the Ghetto Youths banner will be titled Tru Colors. The brooding title track is a complex psychological study about friendship and disappointment that shows Marshall’s creativity at its finest. Other standout tracks include “Beautiful Wrong” a collaboration with Demarco that looks at the hurtful aftermath of good love gone bad. “That one is all about meeting a girl who’s a heartbreaker,” says Marshall. “We have Konshens on that record as well and you know he did his thing. It was a good blend.” Meanwhile “Long Time” features a remix by one of Skrillex’s dubstep protégés. Other producers on the project include Marshall and his longtime creative partner Baby G, son of the legendary reggae producer King Jammy. “Our musical journey together is so close that we’re almost twins,“ says Marshall.

In addition to his own album, Marshall has collaborated with a unique coalition of Junior Gong, Tarrus Riley, and Bay-C of TOK. Though all four artists have distinctly different careers as individuals, they found that they work well together, making a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. “All of us are accomplished to various different levels, and young at the same time. To come together on a creative vibe—out of this world. Just building out of the silence of the studio just came forth sound and lyrics and ideas. It was just a melting pot of creative vibrations. Amazing.”

Aside from the foursome’s unique creative chemistry, Marshall felt it was important to send a message of unity within the reggae fraternity. “As you can see in the dancehall there’s a whole lot of segregation—crew against crew. This man stand off against that man. Man a war against this and that. As a music and as a movement, Ghetto Youths needed to show some solidarity at the end of the day. We can’t just a war-war. People gonna take us for some crabs in a barrel. We need that collective energy. In unity is strength.”

Not content to write, produce, and record music, Marshall has been developing his musicianship as well.. “I’m almost there. I’ve done my 10,000 hours,” he adds, referencing author Malcolm Gladwell’s formula for mastering a new skill. “I’m trying to dig deep,” he says of his Ghetto Youths affiliation. “I’ve done a whole lot of soul-searching and I’m ready now to unleash on a different level.” Consider this your final warning.
February 05, 2013 09:11PM
"You have Christopher Ellis carrying on his father’s legacy, and then there’s Black Am I and Joe Mersa coming up with raw talent and ability. The thing is alive and well. "

Who is Ellis' father?
February 05, 2013 09:18PM
Alton Ellis is the father of Christopher Ellis....
February 05, 2013 09:19PM
Alton

Love that reggae!
February 05, 2013 09:21PM
Daniel
Alton Ellis is the father of Christopher Ellis....

Right on thumbs up learn something new everyday....it just keeps getting better and better...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 09:24PM by yellowberry.
February 05, 2013 11:46PM
Yellowberry, you tube Christoper Ellis, Stephan marley and jah cure- "the end of time"
thumbs up
February 06, 2013 12:51AM
Jahsiah
Yellowberry, you tube Christoper Ellis, Stephan marley and jah cure- "the end of time"
thumbs up

Thanks, that was smoooooth! It'd be nice if Jah Cure was added to the line up just so they could sing that song grinning smiley lol
February 19, 2013 05:23PM
new jo mersa -

new black am i
February 22, 2013 08:32PM
Looking forward to the ghetto youth crew compilation. gonna be big
February 26, 2013 05:59PM
Christopher Ellis is massive I cant wait...... Wayne Marshall has been hittin for several years now. My Heart, Mr Shotta, big tunes, been saying for a while how much I would like to see him. Im super juiced.
February 26, 2013 06:06PM
And yes.......ghetto youth crew at Reggae on the River in 99 was the sickest ever. I remember standing on the cement pad front and center while they absolutely brought down the house....same night as Ziggy singing Natural Mystic. Coolest night ever.
February 26, 2013 11:06PM
Black Am I released one of my fave tunes of 2012. Great addition to a great line up.

Would love to see him perform, but I'm based in the Netherlands, so I'll await my turn winking smiley

http://pressurebeat.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/PressureBeat
http://www.facebook.com/pressurebeatblog
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login