Marley Tribute on tonight's Grammy Awards
February 10, 2013 11:16AM
From a USA Today article:

Grammy executive producer Ken Ehrlich "is especially pleased with a Bob Marley tribute starring Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Sting and an as-yet-unconfirmed combination of Marley descendants that may include Ziggy, Steven and Damian."
Re: Marley Tribute on tonight's Grammy Awards
February 10, 2013 09:14PM
Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Sting, Ziggy & Damian Marley's tribute to Bob Marley on tonight's Grammy Awards...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 07:16AM by Daniel.
February 10, 2013 09:56PM
Best preformance of the night I thought...
The crowd loved it too..
Sting on the bass singing a classic and then when Damian stepped on stage..not bad!
February 11, 2013 05:52AM
I really thought the performance was lame and would have loved to see Ziggy and Damian play a larger part. I did LOVE the way the audience responded showing once again how relevant and revered Bob Marley is to the music industry and fans today.
February 11, 2013 08:00AM
Sista Irie
I really thought the performance was lame and would have loved to see Ziggy and Damian play a larger part. I did LOVE the way the audience responded showing once again how relevant and revered Bob Marley is to the music industry and fans today.

During Sting's segment you can tell some of the younger 1s like drake are like "should I know this song?" haha
February 11, 2013 09:50AM
I could've done without Rihanna and Bruno - I would've like to see them replaced with Jimmy Cliff. It seemed like a tribute to Bob in name only, with the Marley's on as almost an after thought. For me, it was just a-rite.

I always dig it when Sting picks up the bass, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 11:31AM by Walter.
February 11, 2013 10:34AM
Walter
I could've done without Rihanna and Bruno - I would've like to see them replaced with Jimmy Cliff. It seemed like a tribute to BGob in name only, withthe Marley's on as almost an after thought. For me, it was just a-rite.

I always dig it when Sting picks up the bass, though.

Completly agree.....Coulda done without Riannha and Bruno, really dug Sting. I still a little lost as too what would not have been possible without Bob Marley, as Bruno Mars was saying at the end. Did he mean musical offspring or reggae music?
February 11, 2013 11:19AM
LL cool J said a few nice things about Bob and how reggae has influenced todays music, then introduced the "tribute" section and then I was loooooooost!!!! Over half of the four minute tribute was taken up by Bruno and Sting singing their own music, wasn't it? Seen a glance of Ziggy and Damian and a little too much of Rhianna. I guess the thought was nice, but who ever put it together really sucked! But that's just my opinion.
February 11, 2013 11:35AM
anyone catch the exclusive interview with Ziggy? I was streaming cbs.com and they had individual interviews. Ziggy nailed it! Also, wasn't so impressed with the Rianna-Bruno-Sting-Marley mashup....
February 12, 2013 10:23AM
when sting followed bruno mars, i thought that was fitting..

in the sense that, that bruno mars tune borrows heavily from that police sound.

i would call that tune a police cover if i didnt know any better.

my 'complaint' if you want to call it that, is that rhianna didnt really carry the spirit.. no soul to me.. flat. but thats a first world problem in the grand scheme of things..

i agree though.. ziggy and damien both crushed..
February 12, 2013 11:21AM
I guess the thought was nice, but who ever put it together really sucked! But that's just my opinion.

Agreed

Love that reggae!
February 12, 2013 03:23PM
I definitely could have done without Rihanna and Bruno. How do you start a Bob tribute with new Bruno Mars song that is played on the radio every 15 minutes???
I thought Sting's part was sweet. I have a sweet digital copy of Walking on the Moon that I believe Sly and Robbie did (not sure who's on vocals). But for me, Rihanna blew the whole thing. That was by far the worst rendition of Could You Be Loved I've ever heard. Ziggy and Damian coming out at the end saved it as much as it could be saved. I'm glad they made the effort to pay respects to Bob, it reminds the masses that Reggae is still alive and has a future. But all in all it just got me more excited to see Damian on Saturday June 22nd...can't wait
February 12, 2013 03:32PM
Is saturday night Damien and Stephen with the Ghetto Youth crew? I heard that Alpha Blondy was sunday night, I assumed Damien and Stephen would be Friday night but Saturday makes sense. Wonder when Groundation will get to play and if they are headliners.
February 12, 2013 03:44PM
I have no foundation on which to base my statement regarding when Damian is playin at the fest. It's just my hope he closes down the Valley stage on Saturday....
February 12, 2013 04:53PM
Damian, Stephen and Ghetto Youths on Saturday, with Groundation on Friday night....
February 12, 2013 05:45PM
It was like the Illuminati was guiding the show. Rhianna looks almost white. Where was the RED GOLD AND GREEN, the flags or some nice real footage to pay respect to BOB show JA!!! It was weired watching the performers. Does not surprise mi very Hollywood. The Greatest ting is to know the real vibes of music people and culture. Maybe this will reach some of them to look deeper into a real message.
February 12, 2013 05:47PM
Groundation Saturday live wow that would be so sweet. Love them so real natural vibes every time!!
February 12, 2013 06:57PM
Daniel
Damian, Stephen and Ghetto Youths on Saturday, with Groundation on Friday night....

Damian, Stephen, Ghetto Youths and Max Romeo on the Valley Stage on Saturday! thumbs up thumbs up
February 12, 2013 08:13PM
well, i hope maxie gets a set free of marleys et al, but if he joins them for some encore deal, cool, and i mean that, it could be cool. but max does not need to collab with the marleys, by any stretch, to hit his mark at this festival.

boomayea mr. romeo all the while.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 12, 2013 08:33PM
mosquito killer
well, i hope maxie gets a set free of marleys et al, but if he joins them for some encore deal, cool, and i mean that, it could be cool. but max does not need to collab with the marleys, by any stretch, to hit his mark at this festival.

m.

thumbs up
February 13, 2013 08:42AM
mosquito killer

boomayea mr. romeo all the while.

m.

Wha? Did I miss something? Where does it say M.R. with the Marleys??
February 13, 2013 10:51AM
I wasn't implying that they are performing together, only that they will all be on the Valley Stage on Saturday. Personally, I hope that Max Romeo performs in the evening and gets at least 90 minutes to perform.
February 13, 2013 02:15PM
niceup
I wasn't implying that they are performing together, only that they will all be on the Valley Stage on Saturday. Personally, I hope that Max Romeo performs in the evening and gets at least 90 minutes to perform.

Agreed 100%

And thanks for the info Daniel, I'm not going to be able to wait til June!
February 13, 2013 03:55PM
February 13, 2013 04:18PM
ites niceup.

i thought you were hoping for a collaboration which, like i said, could be interesting. but again, i'm way more interested in his official solo set...sounds like you are too!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 13, 2013 08:55PM
Indeed. Max Romeo is my most anticipated performance of the entire festival regardless of who they add to the lineup from here on out. Feb 1st was the most difficult day of my life and seeing him on the lineup that morning was a small ray of light that helped brighten that day if only briefly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login