Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Isreal Vibration

Posted by Reggabe 
Isreal Vibration
February 20, 2013 06:55PM
So last night I was planning on staying home on a cold winter evening, but by chance my friend called me up saying he had a pair of free tickets to see I-Vibes @ The Independent in Sf. I was pretty tired, but couldn't pass down the chance to see these old legends once again. Boy was I surprised! I kinda expected a low turnout on a cold Tuesday evening for a band that some might see as somewhat irrelevent and past their prime. But no, it was a packed house full of irie vibes! And Wiss, Skelly, and the Radics are still in fine form! Flabba's bass still hits you in the chest like no other!
It was a bit nostalgic for me, as I may have mentioned on this forum that seeing the I-Vibes @ the Catalyst in Santa Cruz way back in 1990 got me hooked on live reggae for life. It was actually the show that they recorded the album "Vibes Alive". And the crew is still playing most of their big hits (minus Apple) mixed in with some new tunes that sounded very nice as well. So I just wanted to give a big shout out to the I-Vibes crew for still carrying the torch and keeping the "vibes alive". They are still going strong and look like they have barely aged, and they friggin' have polio! Inspiring, to say the least...

Big Up Isreal Vibration!
Re: Isreal Vibration
February 20, 2013 07:22PM
Give thanks for sharing Reggabe, IV and the RR are magic together everytime. Give thanks to hear they are all still going strong! anytime I feel down i put on their live reggae in the holyland dvd and just puts all in perspective. Stay Upful!!!
jps
February 20, 2013 08:44PM
Thanks for the update. I'll be seein them here in North Carolina in a few weeks.

It will be great to see them again since my first ever live show I attended was IV backed by the Radics. It was in Washington D.C. back in the 90's and was still all 3 members then. They have always been a special group to me and played a huge part of me getting into reggae in the first place.
February 20, 2013 08:54PM
They will be performing tonight at Boomers in Laytonville, looking forward to the show! I heard they have been putting out wicked sets with a sold out house nearly everytime
February 20, 2013 08:57PM
To bad they cannot work anything out with Apple. I have read some interesting FB posts from Apple. It is sad really. So happy to hear they are thriving without him and playing to sold out crowds! IVibes are LEGENDS
February 20, 2013 09:48PM
Did the sing "why worry"? It's my Mom's favorite IV song and we are going to see them tonight @Boomers!!!
Reggabe
So last night I was planning on staying home on a cold winter evening, but by chance my friend called me up saying he had a pair of free tickets to see I-Vibes @ The Independent in Sf. I was pretty tired, but couldn't pass down the chance to see these old legends once again. Boy was I surprised! I kinda expected a low turnout on a cold Tuesday evening for a band that some might see as somewhat irrelevent and past their prime. But no, it was a packed house full of irie vibes! And Wiss, Skelly, and the Radics are still in fine form! Flabba's bass still hits you in the chest like no other!
It was a bit nostalgic for me, as I may have mentioned on this forum that seeing the I-Vibes @ the Catalyst in Santa Cruz way back in 1990 got me hooked on live reggae for life. It was actually the show that they recorded the album "Vibes Alive". And the crew is still playing most of their big hits (minus Apple) mixed in with some new tunes that sounded very nice as well. So I just wanted to give a big shout out to the I-Vibes crew for still carrying the torch and keeping the "vibes alive". They are still going strong and look like they have barely aged, and they friggin' have polio! Inspiring, to say the least...

Big Up Isreal Vibration!
February 20, 2013 11:20PM
I read some of those facebook posts, and all I have to say is 'Wow!' Usually, other people are the ones who deem an individual a "prophet", "superstar" and/or "legend", rather than that individual giving himself those tags, let alone using them as his signature. Regardless of his talents as a singer and songwriter, it couldn't be easy or pleasant to work with someone like that. In my reggae travels I've witnessed the tragedy of brilliant talents stumbling over their own monumental egos all too often.
February 20, 2013 11:25PM
Stamina!
I read some of those facebook posts, and all I have to say is 'Wow!' Usually, other people are the ones who deem an individual a "prophet", "superstar" and/or "legend", rather than that individual giving himself those tags, let alone using them as his signature. Regardless of his talents as a singer and songwriter, it couldn't be easy or pleasant to work with someone like that. In my reggae travels I've witnessed the tragedy of brilliant talents stumbling over their own monumental egos all too often.

Alot of artists should not update their own social media, it seems to not only be bad for their PR but also their sanity.
February 21, 2013 12:47AM
Tonight in Laytonville? What time? How much?
February 21, 2013 01:25AM
25 advance 30 at the door , 9-2 Boomer's in Laytonville
February 21, 2013 01:30AM
Thanks!
February 21, 2013 01:32AM
J_72
Thanks!

you're welcome spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 21, 2013 01:34AM
@yellowberry-- I don't think they played "Why Worry", but I could be wrong as it was about a 2 hr. set. They did play a bunch of other old hits though... "Give I Grace", "Highway Robbery", "Same Song", "Licks & Kicks", "Never Gonna Hurt Me Again" (loved that one), and "Cool & Calm" (another favorite). All in all I think your mom won't be disappointed!

That sucks to hear about Apple.. weren't there rumours about a potential reunion? There were also rumours about his drug use. Whether it's drugs or inflated ego, either way it's a shame, because the 3 of them together + the Radics are basically an all-time reggae super-group!
February 21, 2013 02:12AM
Gonna throw my two cents in as well... It was an awesome show! Along with the hits reggabe mentioned (big ups by the way, pretty sure I sighted the I in the crowd) "Vulture" was another big tune I heartily enjoyed.. In fact this was one of those shows I left my camera at home, though I missed a few prime photo ops I got to enjoy these legends in a way and on a level I rarely do, you photogs out there know what I mean. But this was one show I wanted to be a part of rather than a witness to. As was mentioned above the I vibes trio were the headliners at my very first reggae concert back in the late 80's and I haven't been the same since.

If you can make this show, do.

Bless up.

Edited for stupid auto-correct Mis-corrections.... Damn iPhone!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 02:15AM by Christopher.
February 21, 2013 02:59AM
Christopher
Gonna throw my two cents in as well... It was an awesome show! Along with the hits reggabe mentioned (big ups by the way, pretty sure I sighted the I in the crowd) "Vulture" was another big tune I heartily enjoyed.. In fact this was one of those shows I left my camera at home, though I missed a few prime photo ops I got to enjoy these legends in a way and on a level I rarely do, you photogs out there know what I mean. But this was one show I wanted to be a part of rather than a witness to. As was mentioned above the I vibes trio were the headliners at my very first reggae concert back in the late 80's and I haven't been the same since.

If you can make this show, do.

Bless up.

Edited for stupid auto-correct Mis-corrections.... Damn iPhone!

I know what you mean, it's like a catch 22. If I take my camera cannot fully enjoy the show, but if i leave my camera at home I'll be sorry.
February 21, 2013 03:07AM
also, yellowberry, that is so cool that your mom wants to go to a IV show! My mom is a bit younger than yours, but she is way more old-fashioned (but I still love her to death). smiling smiley

And yes, "Vultures" is a great one! My only regret was they didn't play "Bow Down Low" or "Strength of my Life", still scratching my head over that one...
February 21, 2013 05:27PM
This thread is sure bringing back some memories. It is good to hear IVibes is still packing them in with the current edition of the Roots Radics. I thought they were solid at last year's Sierra fest.

Yelloberry, 'Why Worry' is my favorite IVs tune also and I have a copy of it from their set in Marysville in 1998, the 'reunion' - simply incredible.

Herb, I have mixed feelings about Apple's posts on facebook. I think a lot of it is just over the top posturing not meant to harm really-just giving him an outlet for his frustration.I wish he were in a happier place as an artist right about now.

Reggabe, I know what U mean-IVibes in the early to mid nineties was epic. In similar fashion, those shows further solidified my obsession with reggae music. I can still say with full confidence that the IVibes set at 1996's Reggae on the River is one of the most powerful experiences I've had- the three founding members seemed to be hovering above the stage as they danced. I remember writer Steve Heilig's review of the set as being 'Positvely supernatural!'.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
jps
February 22, 2013 10:14PM
Papaken...I know what you mean when you say that they seemed to be hovering above the stage. I was so amazed by the powerful show that they put on when I first saw them in the 90's (like I said before it was my first ever reggae show as well). I'm not sure I will ever be able to have that feeling again. I was also in amazement watching Flabba play the bass all night.

Not only were they the first live show I ever saw, but Same Song was the first "non Bob Marley" reggae album I ever owned. My friend and I were starting to get into reggae music, and were at a music store in the reggae section. Some random guy comes up to us and hands us Same Song and says "Buy this album, it will change your life" We did and it did. From that day I was hooked on reggae music and haven't been the same since.

It's nice to see the IV has touched others in the way that they have for me.
February 27, 2013 08:13PM
does anyone know who's in the current roots radics band?

flabba I'm assuming?

is dwight pickney back with them? (i thought i heard that)

anyone other members i would've heard of?
February 27, 2013 08:31PM
T-Bird is on keyes.
February 27, 2013 10:32PM
jps wrote:' I'm not sure I will ever be able to have that feeling again.'

That's why we keep going back isn't it? 'Same Song' is up there with the all timers for sure.

Back in the day, I had many reasionings with a now famous reggae connoiseur/DJ and we would marvel at groups like the Roots Radics-and how they could create a sound that distinctly defined a particular vocal group like IVibes.

Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 01:34AM by papaken.
February 27, 2013 11:07PM
Is there a web site that has past Reggae On the River line ups? First time saw I Vibe was in the early 90's, could have been 1990, my senior year in high school...literally blew me away when I saw them dance around stage after throwing their arm braces to the ground, and the music was incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 11:40PM by J_72.
jps
February 28, 2013 12:05AM
Yes papken...that's why I'm going back next week too!!!

And speaking of the Radics, when I was just getting into reggae as long as I saw "Backed by the Roots Radics" on the back of album I didn't even think twice and made the purchase.

As for the current lineup, this was taken from Flabba's Facebook page that someone posted on another site.
Radics on the road with IV - Flabba Holt, bass; Dwight Pinkney, guitar; Tee Bird, keys; joined by Macasea Bey, drums; Steve Golding, guitar; Horace James, keys

They backed Johnny Osbourne recently in New York and had Style on drums along with Robbie Lyn on keys. That's the lineup that has recorded some real nice riddims over the last year or two for some releases on the Soul of Anbessa label.
February 28, 2013 04:39PM
I believe Israel Vibration first played at ROTR in 1989. If I'm remembering correctly, that was the year of Joe Higgs and Lillian Allen. I've got a slew of ROTR flyers from that era but it might take me a couple of decades to actually find them.....
Re: Israel Vibration
February 28, 2013 05:44PM
my old hand held vids from IV in Marysville 1997 are still here:

Radics

IV-1

IV-2

IV-3

IV-4

IV-5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 05:47PM by EvanCR.
February 28, 2013 06:48PM
Yep, '89, the summer before my senior year. It was a one day fest and the nudist colony camped down by the river. Good times.

Thanks Daniel.
February 28, 2013 09:33PM
Thanks Evan, nice ones! I have the recording -haven't upgraded (on cassette still!!) It sounds great though.

Now I'm all alone..
March 02, 2013 06:37PM
Anyone have a clue when Wiss will be back in Austin where he lives? I am bringing in a dub poet from the Seychelle Islands for SXSW. He is a serious Rasta and wants to vibe. Thought Wiss would be perfect.
March 02, 2013 06:52PM
It looks like IV have shows on the East Coast through March 15th, so a return prior to the end of SWSX is not likely.....
March 11, 2013 01:41PM
IV and the Roots Radics put on a killer show at the Howard Theater last night. The Radics were at the top of their game, and Skelly and Wis both sounded fantastic. I was really happy to see them put on a great show (after the last one not being so on point). Really enjoyed some of their new(ish) songs off Reggae Knights as well.

As mentioned by JPS earlier, this was indeed the backing band: Flabba Holt, bass; Dwight Pinkney, guitar; Tee Bird, keys; joined by Macasea Bey, drums; Steve Golding, guitar; Horace James, keys...including two female backup singers.

some of the setlist off the top of my head in no particular order:

strength of my life
racial discrimination
vultures
feelin irie
why worry
highway robbery
never gonna hurt me again
greedy dog
get up and go
same song
jailhouse rockin
redeyes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login